AVS Forum banner

Charter HDTV

362K views 4K replies 283 participants last post by  met_fan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when Charter plans on adding more HD channels? I'm moving and have to decide to get Charter or D* tv or dish.

#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/16864207

I'll assume that you don't subscribe to Charter HD service and have enjoyed viewing those two channels clear QAM until now.

While I'm no Charter apologist by any stretch of the imagination, you should consider yourself lucky to have gotten any non-network HD clear-QAM in the past. Except due to oversight,very few cablecos provide anything more than network HD channels via clear-QAM. The channels you mentioned are part of the HD tier. For me, $5/month HD tier + $5/month HD stb (or $2/month cablecard). There are MANY other non-premium channels that are encrypted QAM.

I would prefer Charter improve the quality of their existing HD channels instead of adding more.

Nope, i have the basic HD tier service and using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR Box. I get the basic HD package both ESPN's, Discovery channels, History, A&E, Food, HGTV, all your basic HD channels except for the 2 i mentioned that I now no longer get. (Palladia/Universal).

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5.1 /forum/post/16866716

Nope, i have the basic HD tier service and using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR Box. I get the basic HD package both ESPN's, Discovery channels, History, A&E, Food, HGTV, all your basic HD channels except for the 2 i mentioned that I now no longer get. (Palladia/Universal).

I stand corrected; sorry for the incorrect assumption. I think I may understand now. I had forgotten that Charter recently changed how its HD channels are subscribed. If a subscribed SD channel has a companion HD channel, then Charter includes that HD channel in the subscription and is viewable with a HD stb or cablecard QAM tuner.

You subscribe to Expanded Basic with an HD stb, so you only receive HD channels that are companions to the expanded basic tier.

The HD Only channels, like Palladia, Universal, HDNet, etc. are not premiums, but are in the HD Ultra View tier, which costs extra.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/16869190

I stand corrected; sorry for the incorrect assumption. I think I may understand now. I had forgotten that Charter recently changed how its HD channels are subscribed. If a subscribed SD channel has a companion HD channel, then Charter includes that HD channel in the subscription and is viewable with a HD stb or cablecard QAM tuner.

You subscribe to Expanded Basic with an HD stb, so you only receive HD channels that are companions to the expanded basic tier.

The HD Only channels, like Palladia, Universal, HDNet, etc. are not premiums, but are in the HD Ultra View tier, which costs extra.

okay thank you. Just a little frustrating to learn one of my fave channels I will have to pay extra for now!

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkid168 /forum/post/16821734

Hi,

I live in the city of Rosemead, CA a suburb in Los Angeles, CA. I used to have FSN HD as a part-time channel in my area on channel 774 that would only show content when a live sporting event involving some of the local teams such as the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Angels occurs. Charter carries both FS West and FS Prime Ticket in SD in my area. Recently, Charter changed the part-time FSN HD channel into FS West HD showing content produced by FS West 24/7. Therefore, sporting events on Prime Ticket are no longer shown on FSN HD as it had been in the past. As a fan of the Dodgers, I am upset at this change because the Dodgers are usually televised on Prime Ticket and I am stuck with watching my favorite baseball team in SD. Before, I was able to at least watch most of their games in HD on FSN HD but not anymore. What's up with the change? Does this mean that I will be receiving FS Prime Ticket in HD on a separate channel sometime in the near future? I called Charter, spoke to rep regarding this issue and I interacted with another Charter rep through online chat but none of them seems to have a clue. Thanks.

I'm working with local marketing to get an answer for you.

George

#157 ·
I've got Charter HDTV, and I've got a few problems with it. Certain HD Channels don't come in (and it figures, they're all the ones I watch the most). In particular, FX HD, TBS HD, Discovery HD, etc. Discovery HD worked for about the first 2 days I had the new cable box (I've had it for probably a month or so now), and the other two haven't worked since I got it. I've tried hard resets and everything, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNeo /forum/post/16892487

I've got Charter HDTV, and I've got a few problems with it. Certain HD Channels don't come in (and it figures, they're all the ones I watch the most). In particular, FX HD, TBS HD, Discovery HD, etc. Discovery HD worked for about the first 2 days I had the new cable box (I've had it for probably a month or so now), and the other two haven't worked since I got it. I've tried hard resets and everything, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Call Charter. Either your subscription is messed up or the box is.

You mention "the other two"...what are those? HD stb?

-t

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkid168 /forum/post/16821734

Hi,

I live in the city of Rosemead, CA a suburb in Los Angeles, CA. I used to have FSN HD as a part-time channel in my area on channel 774 that would only show content when a live sporting event involving some of the local teams such as the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Angels occurs. Charter carries both FS West and FS Prime Ticket in SD in my area. Recently, Charter changed the part-time FSN HD channel into FS West HD showing content produced by FS West 24/7. Therefore, sporting events on Prime Ticket are no longer shown on FSN HD as it had been in the past. As a fan of the Dodgers, I am upset at this change because the Dodgers are usually televised on Prime Ticket and I am stuck with watching my favorite baseball team in SD. Before, I was able to at least watch most of their games in HD on FSN HD but not anymore. What's up with the change? Does this mean that I will be receiving FS Prime Ticket in HD on a separate channel sometime in the near future? I called Charter, spoke to rep regarding this issue and I interacted with another Charter rep through online chat but none of them seems to have a clue. Thanks.

This is a network change.

Fox has split the channel into two seperate HD Channels.

FSN West High Definition

Prime Ticket High Definition

We will be adding Fox Sports Network Prime Ticket but it will not be until Q4 of 2009 or the beginning part of Q1 2010.

George

#163 ·
Umatter2Chater, hope you see this on this forum.

If I watch the analog feed on our channel 99 TV Guide channel, we get a upcoming programs crawl showing the channels vertically and about 2 hours horizontally.

If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there. This drive my wife crazy as she preferes (did it for years) looking ahead that way rather than pushing buttons on the remote to scan the future programming.

Why is this and it would seem that they would want it on the digital as well, but I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.

It was thought it would be restored, but it has not and it has been nearly a year now.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser /forum/post/16905447

....If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there....I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.....

Hit the Nail on the Head $$

That being said, IMHO, the remote driven guide is much easier to use than waiting for the scrolling information on the channel based guide, by a wide margin.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser /forum/post/16905447

Umatter2Chater, hope you see this on this forum.

If I watch the analog feed on our channel 99 TV Guide channel, we get a upcoming programs crawl showing the channels vertically and about 2 hours horizontally.

If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there. This drive my wife crazy as she preferes (did it for years) looking ahead that way rather than pushing buttons on the remote to scan the future programming.

Why is this and it would seem that they would want it on the digital as well, but I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.

It was thought it would be restored, but it has not and it has been nearly a year now.

The reason that the guide does not have the scroll with the set top box is indeed because Charter would prefer that the customer use the interactive guide feature of the box. Because the TV Guide channel occupies a channel slot on the cable lineup it was decided to have two versions, one without the scroll for our DCT users (and the interactive guide feature) and one with the scroll to help our analog customer's with programming.

George

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNeo /forum/post/16892487

Anyone have any ideas?

Good afternoon,

Please send me the following via PM so we can take a look:

Name:

Phone Number on Account:

Contact Number:

Best Time To Call:

Email:

Address:

George

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/16906655

Hit the Nail on the Head $$

That being said, IMHO, the remote driven guide is much easier to use than waiting for the scrolling information on the channel based guide, by a wide margin.

More advertisements on the interactive guide channel. However, wife still prefers the old way and she is not the only one. I do not see why it cannot be on both feeds, and the uptodate users will still use the interactive guide.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN 101 /forum/post/16943550

Any news on charter getting the NFL network and more HD channels coming to Wisconsin?

We are currently reviewing the latest proposal from the NFL for NFL Network for all of our markets.

We're are adding channels in WI now. The dates and channels depend on your specific market. Please PM me the following and I can get the information for you.

Name:

Phone Number on Account:

Contact Number:

Best Time To Call:

Email:

Address:

George

#171 ·
I've got Charter here in Madison, WI. They just added four new HD channels, and I use a mcard with my Tivo HD. When I tune to these new channels it locks up the Tivo or reboots it entirely. I've never seen anything like it. Charter has been flawless with all their other HD channels since. For the time being, I removed the four channels from my guide. All the other HD channels are working fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

#173 ·
I'm a bit new to AVSForum, but have been an avid reader for a year or so.

I got a new tv, (Toshiba Regza 46XV648U) and our HD DVR gave me problems like crazy. It wouldn't change channels using the remote, (the one that came with the DVR from charter, or my Harmony 880). I moved the DVR off the tv stand, and put it face down on the floor, and it works just fine. I had an old Samsung tube hdtv in the living room, and that worked just fine. I do rent, so I don't want to be re-cabling the whole house. I do however know the people who lived there before I do, and he said he had the same problem with his Pioneer plasma. In googling the problems, and calling charter, I received 2 new remotes, and they replaced the DVR once.

I found online that somebody had the same problem, and they bought a monster power conditioner, and it seemed to fix their problem. Does anybody here have an idea as to if that would actually fix the problem, or if there could be something else to do?

Thanks!

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejanitor7430 /forum/post/17013682

I'm a bit new to AVSForum, but have been an avid reader for a year or so.

I got a new tv, (Toshiba Regza 46XV648U) and our HD DVR gave me problems like crazy. It wouldn't change channels using the remote, (the one that came with the DVR from charter, or my Harmony 880).

It sounds like IR interference from the Plasma. Plasma's are known to cause this. There really isn't a whole lot you can do other than trying to move the box away from the television. It's best to try moving it around to different locations and find the spot that doesn't exhibit any issues. It certainly isn't the fault of the cable box so replacing it is most likely not going to help your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.