AVS Forum banner

*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread

866K views 4K replies 719 participants last post by  HD1080i 
#1 ·
Looks like a contender for new budget king besides the unproven Vivitek.

All Best Buy Stores Release date 9/6/09

Optoma HD20 $1099.99

Weight 6.4 lbs

short throw distance/ max screen size 4-5 feet

1080p native 1920x1080

1700 Lumens

2500:1 Contrast ratio

16:9 4:3 and 16:10

DLP

Brilliantcolor by Texas Instruments

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatinfbadge /forum/post/16885712

Looks like a contender for new budget king besides the unproven Vivitek.

All Best Buy Stores Release date 9/6/09

Optoma HD20 $1099.99

Weight 6.4 lbs

short throw distance/ max screen size 4-5 feet

1080p native 1920x1080

1700 Lumens

2500:1 Contrast ratio

16:9 4:3 and 16:10

DLP

Brilliantcolor by Texas Instruments

Visual Apex lists the projector at 4000:1 Contrast. Does it use Image AI or something for dynamic contrast?

BTW, what is the throw ratio? I'll need short throw if I'm going to replace my Sharp DT-500. Hope this is on the same level on other areas as well as resolution.

#12 ·
I hope it is as good as all the hype. ... Then if BB sells it (on sale
) with their 36 month no interest, I'll have one. I'd love to by from AVs, Projector People, Visual Apex, or any other sponsor here, but they don't have any financing. It must be nice to have a grand or two to throw around. They would have my sale if I could finance over a year or three like BB.

#13 ·
I want to buy it online now, but I'm trying to hold off a little. I prefer to buy it a Costco because they offer a 2 year warranty on all electronics. The manufacture only offers a 1 year warranty.

I wonder how long it'll take costco to start stocking this unit? Anyone know? I know they have it in canada
I wish it was here already.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16919929

I want to buy it online now, but I'm trying to hold off a little. I prefer to buy it a Costco because they offer a 2 year warranty on all electronics. The manufacture only offers a 1 year warranty.

I wonder how long it'll take costco to start stocking this unit? Anyone know? I know they have it in canada
I wish it was here already.

They have a good return policy too, if buy it online and something is wrong you don't have to ship it back, you just take it back to any one of there stores. Plus all there prices include shipping at least here in Canada

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog_2005 /forum/post/16920005

They have a good return policy too, if buy it online and something is wrong you don't have to ship it back, you just take it back to any one of there stores. Plus all there prices include shipping at least here in Canada

Thanks, but ill wait till i see it on there US site. Buying it from the Canada site might not work. I don't think they will honer the return if anything happends because of the different countries.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/16917479

What's the speed on the color wheel ? 4x or 5x ?

What's the throw ratio ? Not list in the Calculator yet !

Guitarman in the other HD20 thread was told it was a RGB/RGB 4X.

I think you can use the HD200x for the calculator seems close until they update it.

Rew

#20 ·
My ae900u just died on me recently and now of course I'm in the market. Do you guys think I should look into this one or wait until after Cedia to see what else might come out with in the next couple months? I've been with out a projector for a couple months now and it really sucks, so hard to be patient lol.

I live in Canada, maybe I'll go take a costco trip tonight to at least see if they have it here, how much, etc.

#21 ·
According to the product pdf the noise is 32db in STD mode. I wonder how that would compare to my current pj, the Optoma HD72. I actually think the 72 is quiet enough for a projector. I rarely notice it and never use it on bright mode. But the spec for the HD72 is 27db. From 27->32 is a big jump and I fear that noise will be a dealbreaker. Anyone now what this sounds like in the real world and how it would compare to the HD72?

TIA,

Jay W

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw /forum/post/16923135

According to the product pdf the noise is 32db in STD mode. I wonder how that would compare to my current pj, the Optoma HD72. I actually think the 72 is quiet enough for a projector. I rarely notice it and never use it on bright mode. But the spec for the HD72 is 27db. From 27->32 is a big jump and I fear that noise will be a dealbreaker. Anyone now what this sounds like in the real world and how it would compare to the HD72?

TIA,

Jay W

Its pretty quiet in low lamp mode, i don't even hear it when i am watching a movie, know if you run it in bright mode it is loud, It would drive me nuts i probably would take the projector back.

#24 ·
i'm wondering if this pj has a vertical stretch mode to allow use of an anamorphic he lens.

?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/16925263

i'm wondering if this pj has a vertical stretch mode to allow use of an anamorphic he lens.

?

Optoma does a good job of noting projectors that can be used with an anamorphic lens. At this price point, I wouldn't expect it. HD806 would probably be your choice.

#26 ·
Just ordered mine from Visual Apex....first order goes out on thursday so should have it by friday!!!!

Taking my HD65 back to BB tomorrow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.