AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite DV-58AV

217K views 1K replies 119 participants last post by  Chris Kelly 
#1 ·
Haven't seen much on this one yet, except a picture on the 'Secrets' coverage of CEDIA 2007, as well as pre-order listings on a couple of online vendor sites. What's interesting about this player is that is upscales to 1080p, and is able to pass multi-channel DVD-A and SACD via HDMI (1.2a). Since support for iLink seems to be dwindling, this will be a nice alternative for those who want to send high-res music digitally to their processor/receiver.

CEDIA Pictures on Secrets

(Sorry, tried to post link to spec sheet, but could not link to online retailer site. A quick search will turn it up.)

#727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17041845

Maybe Kal can give us an example. My 58AV just arrived today and I will try connecting it tonight with the discs I have.

I will PM Kal and see if he can give us an example of one that behaved poorly when he had the unit.

Pro-630. Do you have a 58AV? any issues with 5.0 discs treated as 2.0 discs in your experience?

No, I have a 59avi though, I am looking at the 58av to connect to my SC-05, but the Oppo 83 bluray player is awfully tempting instead. Kal how do the 2 units compare sound wise?

#728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD /forum/post/17047299

No, I have a 59avi though, I am looking at the 58av to connect to my SC-05, but the Oppo 83 bluray player is awfully tempting instead. Kal how do the 2 units compare sound wise?

If connecting via HDMI, there shouldn't be a difference in the audio between the the DV-58AV and the BDP-83 because the SC05 is doing all the work, such as digital-to-analog conversion, audio processing, etc.. However, if you plan on connecting via analog, some people might say that being that the BDP-83 uses Cirrus Logic CS4382 DACs, while the DV-58AV uses Burr-Brown PCM1796 DACs, the 58 could be a better choice via the analog outputs.

#729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/17047531

If connecting via HDMI, there shouldn't be a difference in the audio between the the DV-58AV and the BDP-83 because the SC05 is doing all the work, such as digital-to-analog conversion, audio processing, etc.. However, if you plan on connecting via analog, some people might say that being that the BDP-83 uses Cirrus Logic CS4382 DACs, while the DV-58AV uses Burr-Brown PCM1796 DACs, the 58 could be a better choice via the analog outputs.

I believe you will find the (better CS4398) Cirrus DACs are used in the "stereo only" output of the Oppo BD player's analog out. I still personally prefer the Pioneer's Burr Brown PCM1796 DACs (all channels)

From Secrets:

Quote:
The dedicated stereo analog output uses the Cirrus CS4398 DAC. The 7.1 channel analog output uses the Cirrus CS4382A DAC.....use the HDMI output if possible. The DACs in the BDP-83 are there if you must use analog outputs (they are essentially a token), but this is really a player designed to deliver everything in digital format, and it is the digital circuits where the money has been spent.

If you want the newer BluRay Sound formats of course you need a BluRay Player. For "Legacy" formats over analog... IMO the 58AV is top notch and for the money simply can't be beat. If you want to spend more cash, I believe the higher end Pioneer BluRay players use Wolfson Dacs.

I suppose if you are going to use Kal's ears you will need to wait for his reply.

#730 ·

Quote:

Pro:

The DACS in the SC-05 are superior to the 59AVi. Given the limits of their implementation in the SC-07 (and similarly in the SC-05 I believe) I don't like them better. The 49 and 59TXi used Texas Instrument PCM1704 DACs and had them implemented better with the amplifier and power supply in those units even with lesser processing power and bits.

See here: The 49TXi processed its i-Link differently than the 59TXi
http://members.cox.net/alexhardware/59TXi.htm

The 59TXi uses the same TI PCM 1738 DACS with different post processing:

See here: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1738.pdf

The DACS in the SC-05TX are Wolfon's WM8740

See here: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/.../en/WM8740.pdf

Comparing the 49TXi with the 59AVi vs the SC-07 with the 58AV it's close. I think i still prefer the 49/59 vs the 07/58 but that's due to the amplifer implementation and likely not the DACS. That said I would still invest in a 58AV or an Oppo for my SC 05/07 if I had the money. They play quite well together and without either you are missing all those SACD/DVD-A options.

#731 ·
I had a dv-49av but was unhappy with the sound quality. I actually preferred my BDP-05. I might start an argument here but using HDMI out dsd I liked the BDP-05 playing the cd layer of a sacd better. I have read the 49av used cheaper internal components than the 48av or 58av and one review stated how the 48 was superior to the newer 49av. I actually am waiting for cedia to see if something new pops up since it is right around the corner. My 59avi was connected to my 55txi.

#732 ·

Quote:

Cannot say. The Pioneer has been gone too long from my system for me to remember anything about it that isn't already in print.

#733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD /forum/post/17048669

I had a dv-49av but was unhappy with the sound quality. I actually preferred my BDP-05. I might start an argument here but using HDMI out dsd I liked the BDP-05 playing the cd layer of a sacd better. I have read the 49av used cheaper internal components than the 48av or 58av and one review stated how the 48 was superior to the newer 49av. I actually am waiting for cedia to see if something new pops up since it is right around the corner. My 59avi was connected to my 55txi.

Pro:

The power supply and transport used in the 58 are superior to both the 48/49from my research. If you don't end up with the Oppo-83 it may be worth a try. For it's price point (now under $350 new) you can't go wrong with a 30 day trial.

#734 ·
If they would have clearanced anywere for $200 I would have gotten one. I will wait till cedia and see if Pioneer has any new players up their sleeve with dvd audio/sacd. As well I am giving up the PLQS capability I had with the 59avi. The 58av is a bit ofa compromise product compared to what I had.

#735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD /forum/post/17050561

If they would have clearanced anywere for $200 I would have gotten one. I will wait till cedia and see if Pioneer has any new players up their sleeve with dvd audio/sacd.As well I am giving up the PLQS capability I had with the 59avi. The 58av is a bit ofa compromise product compared to what I had.

If you already own(ed) a 59avi I'm surprised you made this comment. If you want to spend $200, jump on the Oppo bandwagon. I would think you'd appreciate and value the superior build quality, weight, power supply and DAC chips used in this unit. $200 is a slap in the face to this quality of this player. It's attitudes like this that lower the bar and force manufacturers to cut corners so they can meet unreasonable consumer demands. If this unit isn't worth $150 more than the Oppo 980H to you then I really don't know what to say. It certainly is worth that much (and more) to me. By the way, PLQS audible benefits are highly debatable, but let's not get into that for now.

I think most of us buying the 58AV are doing so because of it's analog out sound, HDMI 1.2a and performance/value ratio. The 59avi was $1000-> $1500 as opposed to $350 for the 58AV. If it actually does sound better and not just different; How much better is the question.

#736 ·
I finally decided to risk bricking my player and burned the discs for the latest update as well as the modded version. I was apprehensive since I didn't own a PC, or have Nero, but using the disc burning software built into the Mac OS turned out to be quite painless. Anyway, I am a happy camper and highly recommend the mod to anyone willing to risk it. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you should have the same success as I have. I am so glad this thread is here. I have Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells III up and running right now on my Pioneer Elite PRO730HDi 64" RPTV via HDMI. It is so cool to finally hear the concert in 5.1 and with a much improved picture over my Japanese Laser Disc version. Highly Recommended!!!

#737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/17047531

I don't seem to recall that anyone replied as to whether 5.0 DSD over HDMI on the 58 is working correctly with the latest firmware (most of my collection is 5.0). Kal said it only output 2 channels from his test unit with earlier firmware. Did someone respond and I just didn't see it?

As a side note I got a Samsung 1590 from Costco for Blu-ray (wanted that to be separate from the SACD player since I am stuck with analog SACD for the moment, Netflix made it worth the $170 alone never mind Pandora, Blockbuster and YouTube, oh, and Blu-ray.
I compared its sound to my DV-47ai's coaxial output for CDs (excellent transport, excellent SACD player, but poor bass management choices were made on this earliest Pioneer universal player with SACD and internal bass management). Never had to worry about the transport quality with iLink, not the case with these non-rate controlled (for CD and SACD) HDMI based players.

I could consistently tell the inexpensive Samsung from the Pioneer with a blind, but not double blind test. The Pioneer won every time. My wife did the switching between the two input sources with both playing the same CD (yes I have duplicates on some). She said nothing between switches and didn't know which button controlled which unit so it probably could have qualified as a double blind test but I cannot claim that since she did push the buttons that are labelled. I suspect they were technically not labelled for her since no reading glasses were used (yes we both are playing the trombone when we read now).

#738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom /forum/post/17129876

I don't seem to recall that anyone replied as to whether 5.0 DSD over HDMI on the 58 is working correctly with the latest firmware (most of my collection is 5.0). Kal said it only output 2 channels from his test unit with earlier firmware. Did someone respond and I just didn't see it?

As a side note I got a Samsung 1590 from Costco for Blu-ray (wanted that to be separate from the SACD player since I am stuck with analog SACD for the moment, Netflix made it worth the $170 alone never mind Pandora, Blockbuster and YouTube, oh, and Blu-ray.
I compared its sound to my DV-47ai's coaxial output for CDs (excellent transport, excellent SACD player, but poor bass management choices were made on this earliest Pioneer universal player with SACD and internal bass management). Never had to worry about the transport quality with iLink, not the case with these non-rate controlled (for CD and SACD) HDMI based players.

I could consistently tell the inexpensive Samsung from the Pioneer with a blind, but not double blind test. The Pioneer won every time. My wife did the switching between the two input sources with both playing the same CD (yes I have duplicates on some). She said nothing between switches and didn't know which button controlled which unit so it probably could have qualified as a double blind test but I cannot claim that since she did push the buttons that are labelled. I suspect they were technically not labelled for her since no reading glasses were used (yes we both are playing the trombone when we read now).

I received word from Pioneer Tech support when I called that there is a firmware update for same. I have to take mine into a local shop for the fix.

I still have not found any 4.0 discs that Kal referred to to test with present firmware though so I am holding out for a few weeks to try and find one.

#739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17131467

I received word from Pioneer Tech support when I called that there is a firmware update for same. I have to take mine into a local shop for the fix.

Sounds promising. Keep us informed.

Quote:
I still have not found any 4.0 discs that Kal referred to to test with present firmware though so I am holding out for a few weeks to try and find one.

I guess you do not listen to classical but many or most classical SACDs are 5.0 or 4.0. All of the 69 Pentatone RQR discs are 4.0.

#740 ·

Quote:

The Sony and some RCA disks use 4.0, there are very few of them since Sony was one of the first to stop producing SACDs and the newer RCA recordings of the Beethoven symphonies are 5.0.

I have a nice Hilary Hahn recording of the Brahms and Stravinsky violin concertos that is 4.0 on the Sony label before she switched to DG, also the RCA Mahler symphonies with

David Zinman conducting are 4.0.

#742 ·
Hello guys. I just want to ask for a recommendation. My system consists of an elite sc-27, a 23fd bd player, and currently for a small library of SCAD, and DVD-A an elite older 45A. I had an oppo 980 and sold it as I (against the grain did not care for it.) I want to simplify the connections and wires and would like to eliminate the 45A. I have started to research the 58A mainly for the SACD and DVD-A Multichannel over HDMI. My library is about 100discs which I do like and play often in addition to many CD/s . What are your thoughts on this. Does all the firmware updates need to send out or can they be done from download to disc to unit. Thanks for any help or advise.

William06

#743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 /forum/post/17131753

Hello guys. I just want to ask for a recommendation. My system consists of an elite sc-27, a 23fd bd player, and currently for a small library of SCAD, and DVD-A an elite older 45A. I had an oppo 980 and sold it as I (against the grain did not care for it.) I want to simplify the connections and wires and would like to eliminate the 45A. I have started to research the 58A mainly for the SACD and DVD-A Multichannel over HDMI. My library is about 100discs which I do like and play often in addition to many CD/s . What are your thoughts on this. Does all the firmware updates need to send out or can they be done from download to disc to unit. Thanks for any help or advise.

William06

I have the unit with my SC-07 and it plays flawlessly so far. I have a mix of classical discs only 2.0 so far, and mainly 5.1 or 2.0 discs. The unit via HDMI is impressive (not as impressive as an i-Link unit to my SC-09TX but still very good by all means). See my review of same posted on the first page in the SC-05/07 forum here for more details.

The firware updates MUST be done at a service Center for the 4.0/5.0 disc issues. I don't know the current firmware. Hkan has some firmware posted on this site if you read the thread but I would like to try the current from Pioneer first. Pioneer will NOT disclose the current firmware edition to a consumer.

Overall for the price of admission with the 07/27 which have built in HDMI flow control on their chipset with jitter reduction the 58AV is a very nice addition.

I will be comparing it to an Integra DPS-6.9 when that arrives next week sometime.

#744 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17131885

I have the unit with my SC-07 and it plays flawlessly so far. I have a mix of classical discs only 2.0 so far, and mainly 5.1 or 2.0 discs. The unit via HDMI is impressive (not as impressive as an i-Link unit to my SC-09TX but still very good by all means). See my review of same posted on the first page in the SC-05/07 forum here for more details.

The firware updates MUST be done at a service Center for the 4.0/5.0 disc issues. I don't know the current firmware. Hkan has some firmware posted on this site if you read the thread but I would like to try the current from Pioneer first. Pioneer will NOT disclose the current firmware edition to a consumer.

Overall for the price of admission with the 07/27 which have built in HDMI flow control on their chipset with jitter reduction the 58AV is a very nice addition.

I will be comparing it to an Integra DPS-6.9 when that arrives next week sometime.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it Do you or anyone have any experience with dealcost an on line dealer I saw advertise on this form home page last week if I buy from them will I be able to get these updates done. under warranty.

#745 ·

Quote:

Any hope that the firmware will automatically kick the video output over HDMI to 720p from 480i for MCH SACD playback when the transport is in MCH mode? The HDMI spec only allows for 2 channel audio at 480i (that was a really stupid spec!). The DV-sp506 from Onkyo has this feature and it is a great idea. That way I can use the 58av as a DVD transport as well as an SACD transport without having to go through the menus to to change the video output settings. My receiver has a much better scaling and deinterlacing chipset and implementation than the 58 does, not to mention video adjustments.

I want the probably superior transport capabilities of the 58 over the 506, but who knows without a bench test, and perhaps the analog outputs, though I doubt it is better than my receiver that has the same DACs and much better bass, time alignment and equalization capabilities than the 58 has.

#746 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom /forum/post/17132591

Any hope that the firmware will automatically kick the video output over HDMI to 720p from 480i for MCH SACD playback when the transport is in MCH mode? The HDMI spec only allows for 2 channel audio at 480i (that was a really stupid spec!). The DV-sp506 from Onkyo has this feature and it is a great idea. That way I can use the 58av as a DVD transport as well as an SACD transport without having to go through the menus to to change the video output settings. My receiver has a much better scaling and deinterlacing chipset and implementation than the 58 does, not to mention video adjustments.

I want the probably superior transport capabilities of the 58 over the 506, but who knows without a bench test, and perhaps the analog outputs, though I doubt it is better than my receiver that has the same DACs and much better bass, time alignment and equalization capabilities than the 58 has.

The Integra DPS-6.9 I ordered is very similar to the Onkyo 506 from what little I can find on it. I don't intend on using its DACS which are inferior to both the 58AV and those in my DTR-8.8. If this were an analog showdown at this price point I would go to the Pioneer.

I agree - I will watch for the effect of the firmware update. I am purchasing the Pentatone disc "Stay in Tune with Pentatone" in hopes it will have some 4.0 mixes for testing. I will post when I have that and try it before I update the player. I still have to check my firmware since I don't even know what I have loaded on the player.

Since I don't use my 58AV for DVD playback it's not a huge issue for my purposes. Also given the toggle switch on the remote I can easily toggle it back to 480i if I needed to for pure 480i output to my display. Fortunately my BD player the Pio BDP-05FD also has pure direct DVD output.

#747 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17132985

The Integra DPS-6.9 I ordered is very similar to the Onkyo 506 from what little I can find on it. I don't intend on using its DACS which are inferior to both the 58AV and those in my DTR-8.8. If this were an analog showdown at this price point I would go to the Pioneer.

I agree - I will watch for the effect of the firmware update. I am purchasing the Pentatone disc "Stay in Tune with Pentatone" in hopes it will have some 4.0 mixes for testing. I will post when I have that and try it before I update the player. I still have to check my firmware since I don't even know what I have loaded on the player.

Since I don't use my 58AV for DVD playback it's not a huge issue for my purposes. Also given the toggle switch on the remote I can easily toggle it back to 480i if I needed to for pure 480i output to my display. Fortunately my BD player the Pio BDP-05FD also has pure direct DVD output.

From what I can tell from the specs the 506 and Integra are the same player for all practical purposes but with a different case, they both share the PCM-1796 DACs with the Pioneer and your 8.8 and my 875 from Onkyo, but without the better output section and maybe better transport of the 58. The automated switching of the output resolution to accommodate a ridiculous spec would be nice, but you are right that having to toggle it with the remote is no biggie, just annoying.

#748 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom /forum/post/17133025

From what I can tell from the specs the 506 and Integra are the same player for all practical purposes but with a different case, they both share the PCM-1796 DACs with the Pioneer and your 8.8 and my 875 from Onkyo, but without the better output section and maybe better transport of the 58. The automated switching of the output resolution to accommodate a ridiculous spec would be nice, but you are right that having to toggle it with the remote is no biggie, just annoying.

My research says the Onkyo uses Cirrius Logic DACS. Hm have to check.

Wait you are right. I found two other sources that show the same 1796 TI/Burr Brown DACs. I beleve, however, the implemementation of the same DACs in the receiver is superior. I don't understand how the player has such a low S/N and Dynamic Range rating given the abilities of the built in DACs. Shows poor planning on Integra and Onkyo's part in the implentation of the analog stage.

I will compare the transport section of the DV-58AV and the DPS-6.9. I believe the Pioneer may be a bit superior given its weight but not by much.

#749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17132985

I suspect not. It looks like all the selections are from their new series. OTOH, they are likely 5.0.

#750 ·
When I talked to Pioneer back in December, they told me that the latest firmware release was on August 27, 2008 (YGD8827A). I don't remember anything regarding 4.0 or 5.0 SACDs, but I'm not an HDMI user at this time. I probibly would have remembered if they said anything. If you wish to, you could always ask Pioneer for the most recent date of a firmware release for this player.

#751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17133058

My research says the Onkyo uses Cirrius Logic DACS. Hm have to check.

Wait you are right. I found two other sources that show the same 1796 TI/Burr Brown DACs. I beleve, however, the implemementation of the same DACs in the receiver is superior. I don't understand how the player has such a low S/N and Dynamic Range rating given the abilities of the built in DACs. Shows poor planning on Integra and Onkyo's part in the implentation of the analog stage.

I will compare the transport section of the DV-58AV and the DPS-6.9. I believe the Pioneer may be a bit superior given its weight but not by much.

Onkyo tends to be quite conservative when it comes to specifications on their DVD players so don't read too much into the numbers. I would love to read about a first hand comparison of the players. Unfortunately a double blind test of the MCH output would be rather difficult, but not so difficult for the HDMI and 2 channel output sections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.