BIC F12

Price (MSRP): $449/Each

Design: Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer

Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz

Sensitivity: 90dB

Drivers: 12" Injection molded woofer with heavy duty surround

Magnetic Shielding: YES

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D

Weight: 42 Pounds Each

Warranty: 5 Years Parts & Labor

Compared to Acoustech H-100

Price (MSRP): $499 / Each

Design: Heavy Duty Front-Firing 12" Powered Subwoofer, BASH designed amp.

Frequency Response: 24Hz - 200Hz (+/- 3dB) variable (adjustable crossover)

Sensitivity: 90 dB

Drivers: Heavy Duty 12" Long-Throw Poly-graphite woofer with high power magnet.

Magnetic Shielding: NO

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power - 150 Watt RMS, 500-Watt Dynamic Peak

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17" H x 15" W x 18 1/4" D

Weight: 42 lbs Each

Warranty: 2 Year Parts and Labor.

It seems that they are almost identical but H100 is slightly better in the specs

See less See more
#531 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/17052303

Now this is wat I am talking about...If the F12 was so great you wouldn't have these thoughts & desires...This obviously is lacking when it leaves you wanting more...That is NOT a good thing...

Get rid of the OE driver which is nothing more than a 10" driver with a 2 inch foam surround and step up to real 12" driver with rubber surround for some quality bass so you won't be left with that 'incomplete/wanting more' feeling the stock F12 leaves you with...The comments quoted above just prove that the F12 isn't all that the way some here would have us believe...That and the deceptive marketing Bic uses to sell this sub to consumers that just don't have a clue is how this sub enjoys the success it has had...

While this sub is certainly better than a blank the room for improvement is immence...Invest in a driver that can take whats good about the rest of the components and hear what you are missing...

I heard he was still up to no good. Why doesn't he just go to some other thread for moaners winers and complainers and stay away from this thread? Seems so many of us have bought this sub but we're all wrong, we really don't like it so we should tear it apart, void the warrenty and put some other driver in it to make him happy!

Funny, I have a pretty fast boat, 21 foot, 220 horse power, does 55 mph and scares the crap out of the wife but I still want a bigger faster boat. My Piper is from the 70's but still flies at 10,000 ft at 140 mph or so depending on the wind but I really want the new Sirrus, http://cirrusaircraft.com . I have a really nice home, 3 years old, 3500 square feet but there are some bigger better homes up the street I would love to move in to. My car is sweet, leather everywhere, fast, comfortable, handles like a dream but there are a few cars I'd rather be driving. The wife's a babe but when I'm out I always see some other woman I'd love to test drive.
I have a beautiful office in an A building that all my associates would love to have but on the top floor there is an unreal space for lease that I would love to take over, not gonna do it though. BUT, when it comes to a subwoofer, I should be completely content with the first one I buy, never wanting more power, never wanting more sp. It's called footitis in the boating world splic. Whatever we have we always want more, it's called human nature but, once again I ask you, what colour is the sky on your planet? If I sent you some money would you go away for good? Name your price.

#534 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scane /forum/post/17152620

This thread has just entered into outrageous territory. If I don't hear from either one of you again, I'd be fine with that...

Nice sub though... cause uh... this is a thread about the F12 right?

Yes you are right, so I removed them, but, I did preface my message with this doesn't belong here but he called me out. He responded with HAHA, guess I'll have to get pics taken with a sign that has the date and splicers name and send them to him pm, maybe that will shut him up. Probably not though, he'd say I photo shopped them. I left the forum because of it but my buddy who got the sub and is on the forum said he's still at it so I looked and...

Agree with your last comment though, nice sub.

#535 ·
I'll state now that I don't work for them, nor do I have any affiliation to them.... Twisted Sister Electronics just treated me well and offered a great deal on shipping. They have it for $175.52 right now and might be worth your while to see what they can do for you. I dealt with Danielle there. I paid $215 shipped to Canada... so you could probably do better.

#537 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/17158611

Can someone give me a quick run down on how good this sub is without reading 18 pages. I listen to a mix of music, HT, and gaming.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

How good it is really depends on where your listening experience is coming from. What have you used before? If you say a PB13 from SVS then I'd tell you this sub is not worth your time. If you say a Sony HTIB sub...then I'd say this sub is gonna surprise you.

The bottom line is that for the price it does well, just as the PA-120 or a few others including the entry level subs from eD and a few on Parts Express also. Obviously at $200 or under nobody is going to expect anything amazing...but you can get something very decent for your dollar and this is where it starts....unless you buy used or build it yourself.

#538 ·
I have nothing. I'm basically at a 4.0 system right now with HT-88s and Athena b1.2s.

I started a thread about which sub to buy around 200, this is one i'm looking hard at.

How hard is it to DIY? I work on avionics systems in the military and have wired up cd players about 4 times. Replaced speakers in numerious cars. My electronic experience is above average but i'm no expert.

I can't choose between the F12, PA-120, H-100.

#539 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/17158736

I have nothing. I'm basically at a 4.0 system right now with HT-88s and Athena b1.2s.

I started a thread about which sub to buy around 200, this is one i'm looking hard at.

How hard is it to DIY? I work on avionics systems in the military and have wired up cd players about 4 times. Replaced speakers in numerious cars. My electronic experience is above average but i'm no expert.

I can't choose between the F12, PA-120, H-100.

First of all...you probably won't notice a difference between those 3 subs so it doesn't matter which you choose.

Next...you can buy a sub kit at PartsExpress with a built enclosure and a driver/amp ready to be added by you. You'll end up with quite a bit better performance for the money for sure. If you're up for a challenge and feel like building the enclosure then you can expect even better results. I'm building an enclosure right now actually....based on the Shiva-X driver and O-audio 500w bash amp. Those 2 parts alone will cost me $400. Thankfully I can build the enclosure for almost nothing as I work in a shop with everything I need.

Good luck with whatever you choose....

#540 ·
What exactly do I need for tools? I got the basics at home. Like screwdrivers, drill and bits and stuff. I can get like a soldering iron if needed.

I've never done a DIY subwoofer setup. So idk what comes already assembled and stuff.

If they send me a sheet of MDF and I need to measure and cut it etc. Then I'll probably just buy the F12 because i don't have saws etc.

Can you just buy a box already made and i can just screw in a driver/amp?

#541 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/17158802

What exactly do I need for tools? I got the basics at home. Like screwdrivers, drill and bits and stuff. I can get like a soldering iron if needed.

I've never done a DIY subwoofer setup. So idk what comes already assembled and stuff.

If they send me a sheet of MDF and I need to measure and cut it etc. Then I'll probably just buy the F12 because i don't have saws etc.

Yes you can buy the box already made and it comes with a driver and amp ready to just be connected and mounted. You have all the tools you'll need for that. Just check out PartsExpress HERE

If there isn't one priced low enough try buying an 'already assembled' DIY sub from them. Great bargain for sure...and comes with free shipping.

#542 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/17158802

You got to be kidding Splicer is that you ? I just can't believe that someone who is thinking about a DIY project does not have a saw.

#544 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 /forum/post/17168127

If you have something to say, then say it, i can take it.

I wouldn't worry about him...His thinking you & I are one and the same just verifies the paranoia that surrounds this thread...

Danialson99's advice is the best you will find and is very solid. If you do decide on on a F12 (I wouldn't...) For $293 or less give or take a couple of bucks you can go to http://store.audioholics.com/product...ered-subwoofer and get an excellent sub...This will get you going for $155 shipped...

Now in my opinion virtually all subs you can get for cheap need at a minimum to have the driver replaced...This certainly includes the 10" driver of the F12 which I preach and get chastized for...

There are two options you can choose from at this point...The beauty is that while one option is of course your best sounding option the less expensive choice is no slouch and will still slam the F12 in SQ...

Here is the first choice:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-490

This is a fantastic value and a great choice...Wire the dual voice coils (the F12 doesn't have DVC) in series for a 4ohm load and this will not only rock the house it sounds great too...Complete you are looking at $205 shipped...

But if you not only want to rock your house but your neighbors house AND sound fantastic and digging deeper than the original driver or the F12 get this instead:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-464

Going this route you will have a sub that competes easily with the boutique subwoofer market where subs sell for $600-$800...All for a total of $298 shipped...

Now be aware that these same drivers (your choice) will also work in the F12 should you want to pay more money ($75 more shipped???) on the sub initially and then spend even more for the driver which in my opinion makes bad fiscal sense when you can go the first choice I offered and for well less than the F12...and the satisfaction you did it yourself...you can have a sub that will spank the F12 all over the neighborhood...Don't misinterpret this as a sole slam on the F12 because it isn't...This combo will also spank the stock Dayton sub as well as spank the Polks Infinty Klipsch etc subs you can get at Best Buy and for 1/2 or more less...

The choice is yours the information has all been provided for you...

P.S...The reason I say to buy from Audioholics is because of the FREE shipping...Dayton has begun charging $15 to ship due to its size and weight so save a few bucks more going thru Audioholics...I have bought many things from them with great results and recommend them...

Good luck...Have fun...Let us know what route you choose...

#545 ·
Ok good informative post, but....when I buy the Dayton Sub-120 which has a 150 watt amplifier, how is that going to drive the higher ended driver you specified to it's fullest potential?

I got a 150 watt amp and a basic box, but a 12" driver that can handle 400 watts RMS.

Am I missing something here?

#547 ·
If you want something easy to put together but gives better results than the Sub-120 even with a new driver then take a look at this.

Basically an 18" cube enclosure with a 15" driver cutout HERE

A decent 15" driver perfect for that enclosure HERE

And the plate amp that was made for the cutout on that enclosure HERE

You'll pay a bit more than replacing the driver in the Sub-120 but you'll also have a subwoofer in a whole different class. It's an option anyway. You can choose a different driver than the one I suggested and save some money.

#548 ·
Well I agree if we are talking DIY subs...However...at least in my posts...I include the F12 so what I post is pertinent information...

Danielson99...While you are 100% correct that the larger and more powerful sub is in another class the differences that ultimately arise from such differences, to me anyway, are not worth the added expense...But then again I am not into 15" & 18" driver subs as I don't think they are (again, at least in my life/home) neccessary for the diminished return on the investment over a 12" which is more moderately sized...

Also I gree that if talking about building a completely different sub from the ground up then that talk should be in the DIY section...With this being said I disagree with gpjnevada in that what I suggest is upgrading not only the Dayton Sub120 but also to update the Bic F12 for those that already own it and want to get the best possible results for the money they already have invested...

#551 ·
I notice in one of Splicers recommendations from parts express, one of the Dayton subs has,
"Specifications: * Power handling: 400 watts RMS/700 watts max *"

How misleading is that? I wouldn't buy anything from them cuz their ads are sooo misleading, do they think the consumer is so stupid? How could you possibly recommend this driver when the ad is so misleading Splicer? Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

#553 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC /forum/post/17177644

I notice in one of Splicers recommendations from parts express, one of the Dayton subs has,
"Specifications: * Power handling: 400 watts RMS/700 watts max *"

How misleading is that? I wouldn't buy anything from them cuz their ads are sooo misleading, do they think the consumer is so stupid? How could you possibly recommend this driver when the ad is so misleading Splicer? Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Do you have any idea what you are yappin about??? Because it is obvious no one else has a clue...

#554 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/17178728

Do you have any idea what you are yappin about??? Because it is obvious no one else has a clue...

Ahh no, I do believe it's just you, everyone else knows what I was referring to. All that time in the basement has clouded your memory.

You said you wouldn't buy anything from BIC cuz they use 'peak' in their "BS marketing." Seems so does Dayton.

I don't understand Splicer, everyone who has purchased the BIC F12 and chimed in on this forum, says they like it, they love it, they're happy with it, does everything they wanted and more, myself included. Yet you continue to badger everyone here saying we've been duped by "BS marketing,' that we don't know good sound when we here it and so on... it's endless. Why can't you accept that we are happy with our sub and what it does for our systems and leave it at that?! Who in their right mind would buy a brand new, decent subwoofer, or anything else, take it apart, VOID the warranty and put other parts in it?

I don't recall any other message agreeing with you and your 'opinions' and I do recall numerous meassages asking you to just go away, guess you can't take a hint. Never played well with others huh?

#555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC /forum/post/17184349

Ahh no, I do believe it's just you, everyone else knows what I was referring to. All that time in the basement has clouded your memory.

You said you wouldn't buy anything from BIC cuz they use 'peak' in their "BS marketing." Seems so does Dayton.

I don't understand Splicer, everyone who has purchased the BIC F12 and chimed in on this forum, says they like it, they love it, they're happy with it, does everything they wanted and more, myself included. Yet you continue to badger everyone here saying we've been duped by "BS marketing,' that we don't know good sound when we here it and so on... it's endless. Why can't you accept that we are happy with our sub and what it does for our systems and leave it at that?! Who in their right mind would buy a brand new, decent subwoofer, or anything else, take it apart, VOID the warranty and put other parts in it?

I don't recall any other message agreeing with you and your 'opinions' and I do recall numerous meassages asking you to just go away, guess you can't take a hint. Never played well with others huh?
Hell...I am still waiting on my payment you offered...Produce that and I'll leave...and stay away unlike you...in the blink of an eye...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.