BIC F12

Price (MSRP): $449/Each

Design: Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer

Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz

Sensitivity: 90dB

Drivers: 12" Injection molded woofer with heavy duty surround

Magnetic Shielding: YES

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D

Weight: 42 Pounds Each

Warranty: 5 Years Parts & Labor

Compared to Acoustech H-100

Price (MSRP): $499 / Each

Design: Heavy Duty Front-Firing 12" Powered Subwoofer, BASH designed amp.

Frequency Response: 24Hz - 200Hz (+/- 3dB) variable (adjustable crossover)

Sensitivity: 90 dB

Drivers: Heavy Duty 12" Long-Throw Poly-graphite woofer with high power magnet.

Magnetic Shielding: NO

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power - 150 Watt RMS, 500-Watt Dynamic Peak

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17" H x 15" W x 18 1/4" D

Weight: 42 lbs Each

Warranty: 2 Year Parts and Labor.

It seems that they are almost identical but H100 is slightly better in the specs

See less See more
#556 ·
Although we should all respect each other, I think it is very productive to have some people challenge the opinions of others like in this post. It brings some validation to the topic or product as well as alternative ideas.

Otherwise we are reduced to a bunch of cheerleaders whose input is highly suspect. I guess knowing when enough is enough is the problem.

It is challenging to find significant input in the under $300 sub topic. The products are constantly changing making even three month old posts of moderate if any value. This is one of the longest I have seen and I am glad to get the input. Most of the others get dragged into a $400+ or nothing post.

#557 ·

Quote:
Twisted Sister Electronics

I am going with Beach Audio. They have very good ratings on resellerratings.com and only $5 shipping.

Both backordered now. Any other sources at decent prices?

#561 ·
Has anyone compared the F12 to Premier Acoustic PA-120? Are they pretty close in terms of performance/sound quality? Would one be more suitable for music than the other?

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/17203847

Has anyone compared the F12 to Premier Acoustic PA-120? Are they pretty close in terms of performance/sound quality? Would one be more suitable for music than the other?

I'd go with the Pa-120 I have the F-12 I would only choose the Pa 120 for the cabinet. Otherwise they are equal exept for the warranty. 5 years vs. 3 years. It's up to you. I bought the F-12 but kind of wish I'd have bought the Pa it would have matched the rest of my speakers. Thats it. I really like the f-12, but i think they are basically the same for the price range. The only reason I bought the f 12 was for price $50.00 bucks less and comparible.

#563 ·
has anyone opened up the f-12 and looked at the fill ? I'm guessing there would be room to add more polyfill if desired. Here is my situation - you guys let me know what you think.

I have the sub placed in the best place for both form and function as I can get it. It is a bit boomy (95% HT use) at the location -- along a side wall and about 18" from the corner -- BUT, if I place blankets behind the sub essentially covering up the port it sounds just the way I would like it to sound.

So would adding polyfill produce the same sound but without having to place the blannkets behind it. I can't really do that acoustic foam treatments behind the sub either because the space behind the sub is actually a door and WAF would void that idea.

So would polyfill do the trick?

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 /forum/post/17236578

has anyone opened up the f-12 and looked at the fill ? I'm guessing there would be room to add more polyfill if desired. Here is my situation - you guys let me know what you think.

I have the sub placed in the best place for both form and function as I can get it. It is a bit boomy (95% HT use) at the location -- along a side wall and about 18" from the corner -- BUT, if I place blankets behind the sub essentially covering up the port it sounds just the way I would like it to sound.

So would adding polyfill produce the same sound but without having to place the blannkets behind it. I can't really do that acoustic foam treatments behind the sub either because the space behind the sub is actually a door and WAF would void that idea.

So would polyfill do the trick?

Why don't you just pick up some fill and try it, let us know. It can't be very expensive and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

#565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC /forum/post/17236909

Why don't you just pick up some fill and try it, let us know. It can't be very expensive and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

that's the plan --- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get a "be careful when you open it up because......." type of problem. I'll post back when I get a chance to fill the cabinet with some polyfill.

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 /forum/post/17236958

that's the plan --- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get a "be careful when you open it up because......." type of problem. I'll post back when I get a chance to fill the cabinet with some polyfill.

Yes you should be careful. Years ago my buddy was taking his woofers out, undoing the screws and he slipped, screwdriver went right through the woofer, ruined it, bigass top of the line Cerwin Vega's. Poor guy cried right there, then he freaked out and threw a few things.

I'd like to know your results, I don't think there is much filling in the F12 if any and I too thought it might help. Let us know.

#568 ·
Stoked to get mine in, even though Provantage says it's going to be another 3 weeks : (

I decided to pair this with my YSP-4000 after reading all the rave reviews on this site over this and the H100.. Admittedly I don't know much about audio setup, what would be the best way to hook this sub up to my YSP-4000, wire wise?

My old school 5.1 system (which I'm going to use for target practice) is all ran by speaker wire and I'm not sure what the best/most current way to hook this thing up would be to the YSP.

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes83 /forum/post/17241429

Stoked to get mine in, even though Provantage says it's going to be another 3 weeks : (

I decided to pair this with my YSP-4000 after reading all the rave reviews on this site over this and the H100.. Admittedly I don't know much about audio setup, what would be the best way to hook this sub up to my YSP-4000, wire wise?

My old school 5.1 system (which I'm going to use for target practice) is all ran by speaker wire and I'm not sure what the best/most current way to hook this thing up would be to the YSP.

Not sure if I'm following you yet --- The YSP is a "sound bar" correct? Is it a receiver as well? If the YSP is indeed the "receiver" as well, does it have a jack named "sub out" or "sub pre", etc? It would look like a single RCA style jack. If so them you would run a coax style cable from the sub out to the F-12 sub in jack. If this is the case then just do a "search this thread" and enter monoprice for and example of the type of cable you will want to use.

***edit -- i looked up the YSP -- yes it has a sub out jack -- refer to page 29 of your owners manual -- you will need to tell the YSP that you hooked up a sub to it......***

#575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlvr /forum/post/17239133

My wife yelled down the stairs "It's shaking the bed up here!"
I'm getting one, asap.

#577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleMoose /forum/post/17311369

Ordered one of these BIC F12's for $170 shipped from TheNerds.net...

linkie?

#579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleMoose /forum/post/17311369

Since it doesn't have a dedicated sub output, and I have to hook it up with speaker wire (receiver -> sub -> left/right loudspeakers) , what should I set the crossover knob to?

That depends on your main speakers' frequency response. Regardless, I would probably start at around 80 Hz and then do some listening to determine if lowering or increasing it slightly from there sounds better to your ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.