NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming

240K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  bswiz 
#1 ·
See less See more
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/17216156

how would it compete with LG BD390?

By providing access to more free content?

The only free content the BD390 has is Netflix and Youtube. Cinemanow and Vudu cost money, and personally, I am not too keen on spending $5.99 for HD downloads at the moment. IMO they charge too much.

Sony has Netflix and Youtube, but also free music streaming via Slacker. They also have free movies via FEARnet, and also I believe Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Plus a variety of other clip sites like Dailymotion, etc., and a cross search function where you can search for videos across all of their content services. And for VOD I believe Amazon on Demand is included, which effectively negates the Cinemanow in the BD390.

Granted, this player lacks Wifi and internal storage I believe. So you need to provide a 1GB memory module to make it fully profile 2.0.

But for my money, I would rather have access to free content as opposed to pay-per-view VOD content. I have Netflix and use Redbox - no need for me to pay for $4-5 dollar VOD services. The convenience/cost ratio is not worth it to me.

So, if you want access to a lot of free content and will be hardwiring a player to your network, the N460 seems to be a good fit.

If you want wireless and like to pay for VOD movies from services like Vudu, the BD390 works better.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/17217203

By providing access to more free content?

The only free content the BD390 has is Netflix and Youtube. Cinemanow and Vudu cost money, and personally, I am not too keen on spending $5.99 for HD downloads at the moment. IMO they charge too much.

Sony has Netflix and Youtube, but also free music streaming via Slacker. They also have free movies via FEARnet, and also I believe Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Plus a variety of other clip sites like Dailymotion, etc., and a cross search function where you can search for videos across all of their content services. And for VOD I believe Amazon on Demand is included, which effectively negates the Cinemanow in the BD390.

Granted, this player lacks Wifi and internal storage I believe. So you need to provide a 1GB memory module to make it fully profile 2.0.

But for my money, I would rather have access to free content as opposed to pay-per-view VOD content. I have Netflix and use Redbox - no need for me to pay for $4-5 dollar VOD services. The convenience/cost ratio is not worth it to me.

So, if you want access to a lot of free content and will be hardwiring a player to your network, the N460 seems to be a good fit.

If you want wireless and like to pay for VOD movies from services like Vudu, the BD390 works better.

my question is that will i be able to stream, files, audio, video, photos in all diff audio/video codecs, using this player, wired or wireless the way LG BD390 does?

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/17218892

my question is that will i be able to stream, files, audio, video, photos in all diff audio/video codecs, using this player, wired or wireless the way LG BD390 does?

I don't think so.

You would be better off with the LG if that is important to you.

The only thing this Sony player does differently, per se, is that it streams more "official" content from 25+ different service providers, whereas Samsung and LG, up to this point, are limited to about 4 each, Youtube, Netflix, Pandora, CinemaNow, Vudu and Blockbuster. 3 of which are pay services.

The Sony does not have built-in wireless or PC streaming functionality.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/17219147

I don't think so.

You would be better off with the LG if that is important to you.

The only thing this Sony player does differently, per se, is that it streams more "official" content from 25+ different service providers, whereas Samsung and LG, up to this point, are limited to about 4 each, Youtube, Netflix, Pandora, CinemaNow, Vudu and Blockbuster. 3 of which are pay services.

The Sony does not have built-in wireless or PC streaming functionality.

Thanks! How abt Sammy 3600?

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG /forum/post/17238156

Can anyone comment on blu-ray load times on Sony players versus the PS3? I'm strongly considering buying this when it comes out to replace BR playback duties on the PS3. Are standalone players still really slow compared to the PS3? Haven't kept up.

I think most current generation players have caught up to the PS3 within a few (nominal) seconds. I think some (e.g. the LGBD390) may even be a little faster.

But I am pretty sure that the difference has grown smaller and smaller, and that it should no longer be too much of an issue.

Plus, the player has the following feature:
Quote:
Quick Start Mode

Quick Start Mode lets you begin operating your Sony® Blu-ray Disc player approximately six seconds from the time it's powered on.

#38 ·
IHMO there all overpriced. I own two Blu Ray Players and quite honestly the pic quality isn't that much better than a upconverting standard DVD. Unless someone puts a zoom function on them to get rid of that god aweful letterbox format, which BTW your really not getting 1080P perfermence when your only using portion of the pixels. The interfaces are clunky, firmware is mis-match and buggy. On line steaming isn't all that either, substandard pic quality with NetFlix and a handfull of o...ld movies in HD. The pay services (blokbuster, amazon, etc) are too expensive. If I wan't pay per view I'll order a properly formated movie @1080i from the Cable Co.

I am looking forward to see what this new Sony can do. They are so late to the on line streaming game.

#39 ·
Good evening. My wife was considering getting this new Sony for me for my birthday. How she chose this model, I have no idea, but from what I've read it sounds pretty good for the price.

One question though (since I am hoping to not have to upgrate my receiver just yet), to get the best picture quality I need to use HDMI. Problem is my receiver is pre-HDMI (or my budget at the time was pre-cheap HDMI). Is it possible to send the video out the HDMI while sending the audio out through optical out?

Hope so.

I stopped by a BigBox store yesterday to ask there and got varied opinions. They also tried to just sell me on a PS3. Since the price on the PS3 has dropped, it's tempting. Video gaming aside, what are the advantages to a stand along player such as this one, vs. the PS3 for blue-ray/high def video?

#41 ·
So, assuming I have an extra 50 clams, and I won't be using the player for gaming at all, do you all think I should look at the N460 or the PS3?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, but since those of you posting here seemed familiar with this blu-ray player, and/or it's predecessor, I figured you all might have some good ideas about the relative value and features here. Before my wife gets upsold on the PS3 instead of the stand alone player I'm just tyring to get some info on what does what and what might work best for our situation.

As far as I can tell, one of the big advantages of the PS3 is that it is also a great game machine. One of it's biggest drawbacks is that my universal remote won't work for it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew.Ri /forum/post/17263044

So, assuming I have an extra 50 clams, and I won't be using the player for gaming at all, do you all think I should look at the N460 or the PS3?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, but since those of you posting here seemed familiar with this blu-ray player, and/or it's predecessor, I figured you all might have some good ideas about the relative value and features here. Before my wife gets upsold on the PS3 instead of the stand alone player I'm just tyring to get some info on what does what and what might work best for our situation.

As far as I can tell, one of the big advantages of the PS3 is that it is also a great game machine. One of it's biggest drawbacks is that my universal remote won't work for it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I have a PS3. It is great.

But I am also thinking about picking this player up, mainly due to Netflix streaming.

It also streams a lot of other free content. Some of the sites (e.g. YouTube) are redundant since the PS3's web browser can also access them. However, the PS3 lacks Netflix access.

Also, I want to bitstream audio and let my receiver do the decoding instead of the PS3 internally decoding the audio and passing it as PCM (though the new PS3 slim, which you would be buyng, does bitstream).

But the biggest draw IMO of the N460 over the PS3 is Netflix access.

If you don't have a Netflix account and don't plan on getting one, I would buy the PS3, since it has more features. If you have a Netflix account or plan on getting one I would buy the N460.

Also keep in mind the PS3 uses bluetooth and not IR. If you want to use one programmable remote, the N460 is the better fit. If you don't care about remotes, go with the PS3.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/17218892

I have heard the only thing you can stream over the network is still pictures. Also, the lack of support for mkv, xvid, etc. is disappointing. Sony seems to follow rather than lead. If it wasn't for the HDDVD competition, Bluray would still be a buggy pile of crapola.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy /forum/post/17264260

I have heard the only thing you can stream over the network is still pictures. Also, the lack of support for mkv, xvid, etc. is disappointing. Sony seems to follow rather than lead. If it wasn't for the HDDVD competition, Bluray would still be a buggy pile of crapola.

Sure...I mean....it's not like LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. all competed with each other in the bluray space regardless of what Toshiba was doing.

I mean, surely this new N460 network player wasn't Sony's response to competition in the bluray market (1.5+ years after HD DVD died). Surely....

If you want to talk about HD DVD, go here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151

for this area is for:
Quote:
Blu-ray Players

This area covers Blu-ray players. If you are not here for Blu-ray, move on. Please note this is not the area for software chat. (movies)

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/17303654

FYI: This player is now in stock at sonystyle

Does anyone know if Sony is still offering free shipping on one day a week (Thursdays?)?

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan /forum/post/17307728

It's free shipping on all orders over $25.00. Anybody ordered yet? I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger myself.

Post #21 - I pre-ordered on the 14th. Got express shipping though so had to pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.