AVS Forum banner
215K views 1K replies 202 participants last post by  tcmo 
#1 ·
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff /forum/post/17302352

No, but it--and the USB stick I ordered--are in stock and should hopefully ship within 24 hours. Maybe I'll get it by this weekend.

Wow Sir John I look forward to your review.

Here in th UK the 1000es is not listed but the S760 is due soon

I wonder what the diffs are exactly between the two?

I have an early Panasonic BD30 I assume a mid range sony will blow

it away, I will use Bitstream via HDMI I am hoping for a considerable

sound improvement?

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/17320052

In this thread I posted images of the BDP-S1000ES and BDP-32FD (same as the BDP-320)...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

Thanks Charles! does the s1000 has a quick 6 secs start up? I've read my local sony site (Hong Kong ), and they say they have this function. Was just wondering if the start up time is much faster than pioneer!!

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17205932

For one the 1000es is pretty new and for two, I have been told from a very reliable source. And for three, the image is damn good!

you are right. http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/produ.../feature_2.jsp

Scroll down, and it said this player S765 (should be the same with S1000ES) uses the same chip of the S5000ES !! Too bad they don't have an English page up yet.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 /forum/post/17323162

Thanks Charles! does the s1000 has a quick 6 secs start up? I've read my local sony site (Hong Kong ), and they say they have this function. Was just wondering if the start up time is much faster than pioneer!!

If I remember correctly it does and I turned it off in the menu. I cut all of my equipment's power at the surge suppressor (I only use the room a few times a month) and have no interest in start-up time along with other speed issues. All I care about is the video and audio.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17164940

I remember not to long ago reviewing the S5000ES. I was very impressed with the overall picture quality. It reminded my family of a PS3 with its GUI. And since we still use a PS3 as our utility player to this day, the 1000ES is very easy for everyone to operate. So what best describes the 1000ES? That's simple. A 5000ES Lite. Seems like I have been using the lite term a lot lately. The 1000ES is no exception. It weighs a ton less, but to be perfectly frank, that is the main difference. The 1000ES is even better in pic Q (mainly due to it having a Marvell chip like the 09FD) and loads very fast. Sure many will complain about its msrp (699.00) but wat does it do to justify it? Read on...

Features... Sony has really made an impact on me with its Super Bit Mapping and HD Reality Enhancer. I was a big fan of these features on the 5000ES but even more so now. Super Bit Mapping smooths out background shadow and color gradients and HD Reality Enhancer sharpens moving edges to create the finest video output available from Sony. And yes, that includes the 5000ES. I hate to admit it but I am getting an excellent image that is as good as the Denon DVD-A1 and Pioneer 09FD (my current champs). This little player (weighs just 6.6 pounds) has to be the lightest player I ever touched with this good an image!

Other features...Here is another good one. Wi-Fi which connects to the net very easily. Speaking of the net, It also includes 4GB external memory for BD-Live. I did not have any trouble with any of the Disney titles I played with. You can also do Photo Streaming to. I have to also report that the 1000ES has a "quick start" mode which allows you to put a disc in very quickly. I am a huge fan of being able to put a disc in within seconds!

Real-Time viewing... I started with Supernatural Season 4. Dean's 67 Impala looked so clear you could almost see your own reflection in it! I then went to Roadhouse which looked the best I have seen to date. I could have sworn there was smoke (scene when Dalton is first telling like it is) coming out of the screen. It looked that good. On to the Skynet T2 movie. Yes, it played! And it looked terrific. I spent a lot of time with Gladiator and Braveheart. Both titles made me very happy I upgraded from my SD dvds. Notice the details in the pics below. And yes, we watched Hannah Montana. The colors were deep and rich with plenty of depth but also natural. The Sony S1000ES allows for YCbCr 4:4:4 with 12 bit upconverted color. The results were as good as I seen to date. Going 1080p/24 into my Sony VW200 PJ yielded excellent results. You get picture adjustments (including a complex but effective Gamma slider) as well as Sony's own picture settings. I left it in Standard (even though there is a theater, brighter room and memory selection) for the most part. I did do some tweaking but the Standard picture setting was very accurate... As for SD dvds, I was very impressed with the improvement over the 5000ES. The upconversion is nearly as good as the higher end models and most will be more than satisfied. Kudos goes to Sony for making progress.

Audio... I won't spend much time on it. I mainly bitstreamed but the 1000ES does have 7.1 analog outs with speaker settings. The brief time I did spend testing it out yielded pretty good results. Though I will say that is the only area the 1000ES falls behind the big boys (DVD-A1, 09FD to name a few). If you plan to use HDMI then there is nothing to worry about.

Remote (pic below)... The most important parts light up nicely. I especially like the way the bottom feels. It won't slip out of your hand! Hitting Display (pic below) shows the resolution, sound mode, disc type, Mpbs count and of course the spot in the movie. There is also a really cool scene search button. I was also successful when using an IR emitter without making it messy. You can easily slide it in from the side and it won't intrude.

Final thoughts... So where do we go from here? Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. We have truly reached the pinnacle of picture quality and the 1000ES proves it. Sony has outdone themselves as well as many others. If your main concern is picture quality and plan to bitstream then you cannot do any better than the 1000ES. Sony claims it was made for movie lovers by movie makers. Within seconds of first turning it on you can see that is not far fetched. I now have some tough choices of my own to make. Yes, it is that good! And as the 1000ES says when you tur it off, See You...

I have always been a firm believer that build quality meant something. The 1000ES is the first player I have come across where it doesn't.

Thanks for this wonderful review!! Now I have confidence to get this awesome player. One more thing, does it has a resume function? It didn't mention anything on sony US site. Or does it always start from the beginning to play ??

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/17323436

If I remember correctly it does and I turned it off in the menu. I cut all of my equipment's power at the surge suppressor (I only use the room a few times a month) and have no interest in start-up time along with other speed issues. All I care about is the video and audio.

You should use it more often since you have this great player.
Both video and audio are equally important to make the movie alive!!! You are absolutely right!!

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 /forum/post/17323659

You should use it more often since you have this great player.

If you are referring to the Sony I didn't think it was that great so I returned it.

#184 ·
I don't understand why there is not more interest in this player. It seems tough to beat, even without regard to price.

My setup is 2-channel (Levinson 380S Preamp, Levinson 334 Amp, Proceed DAP DAC). It would be used on a 110" screen, Sharp 10000 projector. PQ is very important to me, but so is audio quality. I would be using the coax pcm digital out for audio. So, I don't care about the analog audio outputs.

Is there any other blu-ray player to consider under the circumstances? I don't really care about the price too much, and I don't see an advantage of the high-end Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer offerings over the Sony 1000.

#185 ·
#191 ·
Just picked one of these units up after comparing it to the marantz 7004. They are to very different players, but in the end speed and picture won it over for me.

Since I set it up, I haven't been able to update firmware. I continue to get can't connect to server. Mind you, this is only the last 24 hours I've tried to do this. My internet access is fine, and the player's ip networking seems to be functioning. Are others having trouble getting to Sony's update server? Is the problem perhaps on that end?

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 /forum/post/17323631

Thanks for this wonderful review!! Now I have confidence to get this awesome player. One more thing, does it has a resume function? It didn't mention anything on sony US site. Or does it always start from the beginning to play ??

It resumes (after you power it off while watching a movie) if the Blu-ray title is not using bd-java animated menus. So with some titles it works, for others it does not.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatspeed /forum/post/17330694

Just picked one of these units up after comparing it to the marantz 7004. They are to very different players, but in the end speed and picture won it over for me.

Since I set it up, I haven't been able to update firmware. I continue to get can't connect to server. Mind you, this is only the last 24 hours I've tried to do this. My internet access is fine, and the player's ip networking seems to be functioning. Are others having trouble getting to Sony's update server? Is the problem perhaps on that end?

Make sure your player is pulling down the correct DNS servers. If your DNS servers entries are not set properly, you'll most likely have problems accessing Sony's update servers.

#196 ·
So, I received my BDP-S760 this morning. It was a nice surprise on my last day of unemployment. Tomorrow I start my new job, and thus, start saving for a new (JVC) projector in January. Ha!

After playing around with some Blu-ray disks including The Nightmare Before Christmas, Crank 2, and Gladiator, as well as the DVD of Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith, I wanted to post my initial views. The S760 is much faster than my Panasonic BD30. It’s more responsive, quicker to power up/shutdown, and feels more refined. Once I had the set-up complete—bitstreaming to my Denon AVR-3808CI and displaying on a Panasonic PT-AE2000 and a 118” Carada BW screen—I found the audio and video quite pleasing. No it isn’t a massive improvement over my old BD30. In fact I can’t really see or hear much of a difference with Blu-rays. I played with the Reality Enhancer quite a bit, but haven’t yet noticed any real difference on the Blu-ray movies I auditioned. However for DVD everything changes, that’s where the Reality Enhancer really improved the picture quality. I’d have to say that picture-wise, the S760 is about as good with DVD upconversion as my Denon DVD-3930CI. With the Reality Enhancer cranked all the way up to 3, the details of Revenge of the Sith were brought out without any noticeable artifacts. Audio was fine, but one can expect that much with bitstreaming.

As far as the Wi-Fi goes, well, as I predicted I can’t get it to connect with my router. I swear Telus makes this kind of task a nightmare. I’ll have to wait until tonight to get some help from my wife—she’s the router expert in our house. I did connect via Ethernet cable just to make sure everything works. Sony included a 4 GB USB stick with my order, so I was happy when Crank 2 booted up quickly and without incident. Overall I’m happy with the S760. It’s an improvement in performance over my BD30, but as I now know for myself, bitsreaming and blu-ray all look and sound the same if you have decent equipment. I’ve sold my BD30, I just hope this S760 will be as stable as that old Panasonic was. This is the first Sony product I’ve owned since the mid-90’s, so my future purchases rest solely on the what happens between now and when I upgrade to a profile 3 blu-ray player in a couple of years time. For an MSRP of $499 Canadian, I think this is a great player, especially with DVD upconversion, ease of use, and response time. Based on features and price, if you’re looking for a mid-priced option, I’d recommend this player. Sony has a decent reputation of customer service and firmware updates—in my opinion a must for choosing a blu-ray player.

#197 ·
For the past few hours I've been throwing a few more Blu-rays and DVD's at this player. It does a very good job upconverting, but after seveal different disks I have to conclude that it's not as good as my DVD-3930. On some titles it seems to be as good, but on titles that aren't great-looking and have a lot of noise, the S760 adds a bit more pixilation to the image. It's minor, and in truth I'm only seeing it on a 118" screen. On a smaller display one would probably not notice the extra noise. But as for operation, when compared to my BD30, this player feels like a DVD player in the way it responds. My BD30 was always sluggish, with little control such as frame advance, and took too long of a pause when you advanced forward or jumped back, but the S760 is way quicker. It feels like how my DVD players used too--not counting my Oppo DV-980H, though. That's thing's on speed, or something.

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 /forum/post/17323631

I spent time over the long weekend with a friend of mine in New York. He puchased an s1000es, has it hooked uo to a 60' ISF calibrated Pioneer Elite TV and we went through some unbelievable numbers of SD and BD discs. He came to the conclusion without any prompting from me or anyone else that that his unit was nowhere near as good as my S5000ES and OPPO 83. He has seen my ISF calibrated set several times. SD upconversion is not as accomplished as compared the Oppo or even the s5000. The s5000 ofers 14-bit processing to the s1000's 12-bit. The unit is flimsy. cheap circuitry and power supply. We took it apart and it does NOT have A Marvell Qdeo processor as you claim!!! Just where did you get this hogwash!!! Mysterioso!!

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc /forum/post/17352811

I spent time over the long weekend with a friend of mine in New York. He puchased an s1000es, has it hooked uo to a 60' ISF calibrated Pioneer Elite TV and we went through some unbelievable numbers of SD and BD discs. He came to the conclusion without any prompting from me or anyone else that that his unit was nowhere near as good as my S5000ES and OPPO 83. He has seen my ISF calibrated set several times. SD upconversion is not as accomplished as compared the Oppo or even the s5000. The s5000 ofers 14-bit processing to the s1000's 12-bit. The unit is flimsy. cheap circuitry and power supply. We took it apart and it does NOT have A Marvell Qdeo processor as you claim!!! Just where did you get this hogwash!!! Mysterioso!!

Exactly what does the chip say? I don't think it says Marvell on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.