AVS Forum banner

NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming

240K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  bswiz 
#1 ·
See less See more
#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarp /forum/post/17336661

Does anyone have SD Up-conversion opinions for the N460 ?

To me, DVDs look soft as they do on the Sony BDP-S360. Of course watching Blu-rays also makes DVDs look soft.

However, I played both SD and HD HQV benchmark discs in the BDP-N460 (set to 1080p output to evaluate it's video processor and not my HDTV's) and here is what I found on my display (Samsung HL-S5679W which is a 1080p/60Hz LED DLP HDTV) [YMMV]:

HQV Benchmark DVD Version 1.4 NTSC (SD)

Color Bars - Pass

Noise Reduction - Fail

Motion Adaptive Noise Reduction - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test 1 - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test 2 - Fail

Detail Test - Fail (Soft)

Film Detail Test - Fail (player took a second to 'lock' in before the moire in the stands disappeared)

Cadence Tests

2-2 30fps Video - Fail

2-2-2-4 DVCAM - Fail (lost 'lock')

2-3-3-2 DVCAM - Fail

3-2-3-2-2 Vari-Speed Broadcast - Fail

5-5 Animation - Pass

6-4 Animation - Pass

8-7 Anime - Pass

3-2 24 fps Film - Pass Marginally (to my non 24-fps HDTV)

Mixed 3-2 Titles - Fail

HD HQV Benchmark Blu-ray Version 1 (HD)

Color Bars - Pass

HD Noise Test A - Pass

HD Noise Test B - Pass

Video Resolution Loss Test - Pass

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test A - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test B - Fail

Film Resolution Loss Test - Pass

#104 ·
Wesley, thanks for posting your results. I wonder if this will be a step up, down, or sideways from my Panasonic BD30?

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/17350047

To me, DVDs look soft as they do on the Sony BDP-S360. Of course watching Blu-rays also makes DVDs look soft.

However, I played both SD and HD HQV benchmark discs in the BDP-N460 (set to 1080p output to evaluate it's video processor and not my HDTV's) and here is what I found on my display (Samsung HL-S5679W which is a 1080p/60Hz LED DLP HDTV) [YMMV]:

HQV Benchmark DVD Version 1.4 NTSC (SD)

Color Bars - Pass

Noise Reduction - Fail

Motion Adaptive Noise Reduction - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test 1 - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test 2 - Fail

Detail Test - Fail (Soft)

Film Detail Test - Fail (player took a second to 'lock' in before the moire in the stands disappeared)

Cadence Tests

2-2 30fps Video - Fail

2-2-2-4 DVCAM - Fail (lost 'lock')

2-3-3-2 DVCAM - Fail

3-2-3-2-2 Vari-Speed Broadcast - Fail

5-5 Animation - Pass

6-4 Animation - Pass

8-7 Anime - Pass

3-2 24 fps Film - Pass Marginally (to my non 24-fps HDTV)

Mixed 3-2 Titles - Fail

HD HQV Benchmark Blu-ray Version 1 (HD)

Color Bars - Pass

HD Noise Test A - Pass

HD Noise Test B - Pass

Video Resolution Loss Test - Pass

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test A - Fail

Diagonal Filtering "Jaggies" Test B - Fail

Film Resolution Loss Test - Pass

Nice job Wesley and thanks for helping ! I think I will keep my PS3 Slim for now. I use it solely for a Blue-ray player w/ my Denon 1910 and Panny 54G10 Plasma. I am one of those who own a PS3 and am waiting for a Blue-ray player in the $300 range that would be a upgrade worth making. I thought the s460 might be the one. The samsung 2550 is a great player but in buggy as hell.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD /forum/post/17350372

Update available, M02.R.094 SW. Installed via internet without a hitch.

What does it add/fix?

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD /forum/post/17350372

Update available, M02.R.094 SW. Installed via internet without a hitch.

Thanks for the update, I'm downloading it now and will check it out. Just like PS3 updates (and my luck), I'm always doing something on the device when an update actually hits.

Update: no change to Netflix, Fear.net or Slacker at this time. No XMB changes that I can see.

HOWEVER, the Sony site states clearly: This utility updates the BDP-N460 firmware to version 094 and enables the Blu-ray player to receive the Slacker Personal Radio Streaming Service.

Will try again several times.

On the player's Activate Advanced Features option it says the player is successfully registered and to go to the Sony Essentials site, I link the Slayer service to the player there and I'm sent to the Slacker site to sign in there and it says the account is successfully link but still no Slacker Radio. Will keep trying.

#110 ·
Well, everything appears to be correct but I couldn't get Slacker Radio to work. Will try again tomorrow.

If anyone has any luck with it, please post here. Thanks.

#111 ·
Hmmm . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/17350047

2-3-3-2 DVCAM - Fail

Again, thanks for posting your rather comprehensive round of test results data on the N460! Of particular interest to me is the failing cadences. I have a Sony DSR450 24p (23.976) DVCAM camera that I use to make short films with, and I shoot exclusively in its 2-3-3-2 mode. In fact, most people I know who shoot in 24p also tend to shoot in 2-3-3-2. What does a "failed" 2-3-3-2 cadence look like? Is the motion stuttery or otherwise motion-artifacted somehow? Thanks!

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/17326731

It's the same speed as the Sony BDP-S360 which is slower than the PS3 and Samsung BDP-1590. I don't know how much faster the S360 is than the S350 if at all.

Wesley, thank you again for all of your informative contributions. So . . . does that mean that Sony's claim of its "six-second, Quick Start," start-up from power-up, is a ruse? Or does the PS3 actually start-up faster than six seconds?

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 /forum/post/17351826

Wesley, thank you again for all of your informative contributions. So . . . does that mean that Sony's claim of its "six-second, Quick Start," start-up from power-up, is a ruse? Or does the PS3 actually start-up faster than six seconds?

No, that's a different settings that covers start-up of the player from turning on the power and playing a disc. If you set it on, the player stays in a sort of standby state in which the fan stays running making a power up quicker. I personally leave it off and wait the few extra seconds after turning the player on. Once the player has been on past this power on phase, disc load (based on their content and complexity) about the same speed as the S360 and slower than the PS3 (from what I experienced).

P.S. Also, the player will consume more wattage while off with this feature set to ON.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 /forum/post/17351683

Hmmm . . .

Again, thanks for posting your rather comprehensive round of test results data on the N460! Of particular interest to me is the failing cadences. I have a Sony DSR450 24p (23.976) DVCAM camera that I use to make short films with, and I shoot exclusively in its 2-3-3-2 mode. In fact, most people I know who shoot in 24p also tend to shoot in 2-3-3-2. What does a "failed" 2-3-3-2 cadence look like? Is the motion stuttery or otherwise motion-artifacted somehow? Thanks!

About the cadence tests: they're only on the SD disc and they are all the same 16:9 clip (no test patterns) of a man at a diner counter reading a newspaper and having coffee and another man walks up and is handed the paper. You are asked via prompts and arrows to see if you can make out any jaggies/distortion in the newspaper and cup of coffee. I'm no expert at critiqing video by any means but I followed the instructionns on the disc best I could which is why I put the YMMV stipulation at the start. Also, a 24fps HDTV may have a better time of it, I don't know.

#115 ·
Tried Slacker Radio this morning before going to work: no luck.

#117 ·
I can confirm it too. Just tried in a minute or so after you (posting) and getting off work! Thanks. I didn't have to do anything else so everything must have been setup correctly it's just the service started up sometime today.

#118 ·
First going to Slacker Radio shows a list of the following folders:

Recently Played - can include your 'Stations' created on a PC

Slacker Spotlight

- Next Big Nashville

- FOX Fringe - Dr. Walter Biship

- Street Scene 2009

- Blackberry at SXSW 2009

- Michael Jackson Tribute

- Pop Icons

Top Stations

- Today's Hits

- '80s, '90s & Today

- Hip Hop/R&B Hits

- Halloween

- New Country

- Alternative

- Rock

- Classic Rock

- Soft Hits

- Smooth Jazz

- Comedy [Explicit]

- Indie Chill

Alternative

- Alternative

- Adult Alternative

- Alternative Hits

- Singer-Songwriter

- Indie

- Indie Hits

- Indie Chill

- Alternative Chill

- Alt. Hard Rock

- Party Alternative

- '90s Alternative

- '80s Alternative

- Modern Punk

- Street Punk

Blues

- Blues

- Modern Blues

- Traditional Blues

Classical

- Classical Hits

- Classical Hits Light

- Movie Music/Scores

Comedy

- Comedy [Explicit]

- Comedy

Country

- Country

- New Country

- Country Hits

- Classic Country

- Party Country

- Outlaw Country

- Alt. Country

- Bluegrass

- Americana

Electronic/Dance

- Electronic

- Electronic Hits

- Indie Electronic

- Trance

- House

- Breaks/Drum & Bass

- Chill

- Chill [Non-Vocal]

- Club Hits

- Dance Pop

- Disco

Hip Hop/R&B

- Hip Hop

- Hip Hop Hits

- Hip Hop/R&B

- Hip Hop/R&B Hits

- Party Hip Hop/R&B

- '90s Hip Hop

- Old School Rap

- R&B

- R&B Hits

- Classical Soul

- Soul Jams

- Funk

Hits

- Today's Hits

- '80s, 90's & Today

- Soft Hits

- Love Songs

- Party Hits

- Oldies

- Hits of the 2000s

- '90s Hits

- '80s Hits

- '70s Hits

- '60s Hits

- '50s Hits

- '40s Hits

International

- Reggae

- World

- UK Hits

- UK Indie

Jazz

- Jazz

- Smooth Jazz

- Smooth Jazz [Non-Vocal]

- Classic Jazz

- Classic Jazz [Non-Vocal]

- Modern Jazz

- Contemporary Jazz

- Acid Jazz

Latin

- Spanish

- Spanish Pop

- Tropical

- Regional Mexican

- Reggaeton/Hip-Hop

- Rock En Espanol

Rock

- Rock

- Classic Rock

- Rock Hits

- Hard Rock

- Soft Rock

- Party Rock

- Classic Metal

- Metal

- Party Metal

- '90s Rock

- '80s Rock

- '70s Rock

- '60s Rock

- Southern Rock

- Folk Rock

- Jam Bands

- Progressive Rock

Seasonal

- Halloween

- Mother's Day

- Slow Jamz

- Rock Ballads

- Country Love

- Metropolitan Mood

- Broken Heart

- Holiday Hits

- Holiday Classics

- Holiday Party

- Contemporary Holiday

- Country Holiday

- R&B/Soul Holiday

- Rock/Alt. Holiday

- Dysfunctional Holiday

- Jazz Holiday

- Classical Holiday

- Navidad Latina

Spiritual

- Christian

- Christian Rock

- Gospel

- New Age

Standards/Big Band

- Vocal Standards

- Big Band/Swing

- Broadway Music

Youth

- Toddlers

- Kids

- Teen Pop

- Teen Rock

Pressing Options brings up:

Sort by >

Category >

Home Category

Update List

Pressing Display brings up: details of each category folder.

While playing a song, the Song Title, Artist and Album Title are displayed along with the album cover and artist info.

Controls while playing include Play/Pause, Next (Skip Forward), Up/Down (to scroll artist info text) and Stop (stops song and returns to previous screen); Return - Returns to Previous Page/Folder/Category

The total number of skips available is shown. Mine shows 6. I have the basic version/account.

During playback, pressing Options brings up:

Rate / Un-rate Song as favorite

Ban Song

Ban Artist

Next

Screensaver - black screen with album fading slowly in and out at random positions on the screen

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/17356600

Pressing Options brings up:

Sort by >

Category >

Home Category

Update List

Pressing Display brings up: details of each category folder.

While playing a song, the Song Title, Artist and Album Title are displayed along with the album cover and artist info.

Controls while playing include Play/Pause, Next (Skip Forward), Up/Down (to scroll artist info text) and Stop (stops song and returns to previous screen); Return - Returns to Previous Page/Folder/Category

The total number of skips available is shown. Mine shows 6. I have the basic version/account.

During playback, pressing Options brings up:

Rate / Un-rate Song as favorite

Ban Song

Ban Artist

Next
Screensaver - black screen with album fading slowly in and out at random positions on the screen

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

I believe you have the P1590 too right? Can you compare Pandora on that to Slacker on the Sony? The screensaver feature sounds cool, does the Samsung do that? Overall, which has the better/cooler user interface?

Can't wait for Netflix to hit.

Now that this player is shipping from Amazon I hope to see more sellers on the list and get a little price competition for the big Q4 sales season coming up.

#121 ·
Yes I have both. The Samsung has a screen saver but it uses a animated swirl that is the player's only screen saver: meaning used not just for Pandora but whenever the player is left idle for a set time.

I like the interfaces of both players, no real issues with either. I like how the Samsung makes use of the colored buttons. Slacker has more text information: one I couldn't finish reading before the song was over for example. With Slacker there are the predefined categories mentioned above along with the 'stations' you've created were as on Pandora there is just the 'stations' you've created. Slacker (due to licensing agreements) has a 6 skip limit. I haven't ran into this on Pandora.

I really can't wait for Netflix on this player too. Once it hits, I personally will not need a console in my main HT system for anything but just playing games on.

#122 ·
I just ordered the N460 through Amazon and will report back when it arrives. Let's hope Netflix is added soon!

#123 ·
Mine just arrived this morning, will be getting it hooked up soon. I ordered from Sony Style. It should look great with the new Sony STR DN1000 receiver I got a couple of weeks ago.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/17325082

The factory remote can't do it. How to add it to another remote depends on the model.

Using a recent UEI made remote like the radio shack 15-133, 134, 135, or RCA RCRP05B is the easiest way. Set it up to use DVD code 21516, then press the setup button (P) followed by 00081. That will send the eject command. Teach that to any learning universal remote you like and you're done. If one of those IS your universal, you can permanently assign the eject command to the key of your choice as follows.

1. In DVD mode, PRESS 9 9 4.

2. PRESS the SETUP button and then 00081.

3. PRESS the button you wish to use for that function - Two Blinks.

Personally, my favorite key to use is shift-Stop. In that case press SETUP before the Stop button in step 3 above. To use the command press SETUP Stop.

If your remote can use pronto hex codes, you can use the protocol information above to generate the code using a conversion program (IRTool) posted at remotecentral. Then add the code to your remote or, in harmony's case, submit it to tech support so they can add it to your remote. Here's the pronto hex for eject:
Code:
Code:
0000 0069 0000 0015 005f 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0030 0200
(I just generated it, so I think it's correct, but I have no way to test it).

Using some other free software tools you can also add it to a slingbox remote. Post back if you are interested in that and I can post the details.

If you have trouble finding any of the above remotes, PM me. I have several of the radio shack models I can sell cheap and pre-programmed with eject and all the other sony commands.

I just bought a Sony universal remote model# RM-VL610 and none of these codes work to program the eject button. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.