AVS Forum banner

Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread

837K views 6K replies 523 participants last post by  oscarinkc 
#1 ·
MODS: Please do not close or delete this thread. If you need to discuss its merits, please PM me immediately.

BDP-83 SE Now Available: $899

At the core, the BDP-83 and the BDP-SE are identical. The only benefit of the BDP-83SE over that of the BDP-83 is the enhanced ANALOG AUDIO performance. Because audio performance is a very subjective and often heated subject, I felt it was prudent to start a new thread as to not interfere with the general discussion of the BDP-83/BDP-83SE.

For this reason, please only use this thread for discussing the ANALOG AUDIO performance of the BDP-83SE. For all other discussion, including bug reports, end user reports, and general questions, please use the pre-established Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] . Firmware upgrades will also be announced and listed in the BDP-83 Owner's Thread.

Features:

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player is an exciting upgrade based on the highly acclaimed BDP-83. Already well known for its exceptional audio and video performance, the BDP-83 is upgraded with an an all new analog audio stage and improved power supply to become the Special Edition. Designed for the discerning audio enthusiast, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player delivers an exceptionally wide dynamic range, ultra low distortion, accurate sound stage and jitter-free music clarity via its dedicated stereo and 7.1ch analog audio output.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

Just like the BDP-83 it is based on, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player featuring bit-stream and full decoding capability for high resolution audio tracks such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs. For a detailed list of features, please refer to the BDP-83 Features and Specifications page.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you involved in the beta testing?

Anyone else a beta tester that can (or can't
comment)?

Mike

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/17481521

MODS: Please do not close of delete this thread. If you need to discuss its merits, please PM me immediately.

At the core, the BDP-83 and the BDP-SE are identical. The only benefit of the BDP-83SE over that of the BDP-83 is the enhanced ANALOG AUDIO performance. Because audio performance is a very subjective and often creates rifts, I felt it was prudent to start a new thread as to not interfere with the general discussion of the BDP-83.

For this reason, please only use this thread for discussing the ANALOG AUDIO performance of the BDP-83SE. For all other discussion, including bug reports, end user reports, and general questions, please use the pre-established Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

Placeholder image until official OPPO announcement and website:

Again, please only discuss the ANALOG AUDIO properties of the BDP-83SE.

We can't actually see the linked image. You have to be able to access the super-secret beta tester forum to see it. Can you host it on photobucket please?

#6 ·
what's the retail of of the SE going to be. I bought my BDP-83 mainly for the universal audio and hoped of liking the analog 2 channel which I don't use as I really don't like it. May have to put it for sale and get the SE?

#11 ·
Can an original BD-83 be be upgraded to an SE unit, by either the factory or the consumer

#19 ·
Depending on the price, I might have to sell my 83 and pick this baby up.

Hope they give it a slightly different look to differentiate the SE, maybe similar to the euro version.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Avatar /forum/post/17483731

Why such an interest in upgraded DAC? Aren't the vast majority of people with this caliber of AV system bitstreaming over HDMI into the receiver for decoding there? That's what I've always done. Am I missing something?

Yes bitstream/PCM via HDMI for movies, but many use the 2 channel analog outputs for CD or SACD playback.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Avatar /forum/post/17483731

Why such an interest in upgraded DAC? Aren't the vast majority of people with this caliber of AV system bitstreaming over HDMI into the receiver for decoding there? That's what I've always done. Am I missing something?

No other receiver and or prepro is utlizing the 32 bit ESS DACS, reason enough to send LCPM to receiver

#23 ·
I realize DAC's sonic charachteristics are not always shown in their specs, but what benefit is it to have bit-depth (32-bits) higher than the content (24 or 16). Is this like upscaling a DVD?

Is there any audio you can buy with 32-bit audio? Does blu-ray support 32-bit audio?

#26 ·
Heres an overview of the ESS DACS: http://www.esstech.com/PDF/Sabre32%2...F%20081217.pdf

Just to put the BDP-83 SE into perspective regarding the use of the 32 Bit Dacs: SO far the following A/V compenents are utilizing Dacs from ESSTech

Disc Players

Mcintosh MCD500 CD/Sacd is utilizing the ES9008 chip(8 channel DAC using it in stereo Quad balanced mode)

Samsung BD-P2500/ BD-P2550 is utlizing the ES9006 chip (8 channel DAC)

Dacs

Eastern Electric DAC is using the ES9018 with a tube amp stage

Wyred4Sound W4S DAC-1 is using the ES9018 chip

Integrated Amps

Peachtree Audio Nova is using the ES9006 chip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.