AVS Forum banner
774K views 7K replies 507 participants last post by  truwarrior22 
#1 ·
#554 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannat /forum/post/17496106

For gaming I think autoiris can be really annoying. I will use mine for gaming and are looking for a proj without "lag" and with high contrast/black levels wo autoiris.

Just extrapolating from HC3800 preview data sofar. But don't expect to get better blacks until the Sony HW15. Some of the top Inocus projectors and the JVCs. (without Autoiris on).

It would be interesting to later see HC3800 compared with the pana AE4000 and Epson 8500UB wo autoiris.

Just the fact you are even comparing those speaks to how good of a bargin the HC3800 is, those projectors are $700+ plus more than the 3800.

#555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiancE /forum/post/17496286

Just the fact you are even comparing those speaks to how good of a bargin the HC3800 is, those projectors are $700+ plus more than the 3800.

Agreed, but the HC3800 is void of nearly all but the necessary features. No AI, no FI, no motorized zoom, no lens shift. The only features they implemented that you usually do not see at this price level are anamorphic lens compatibility and 48Hz 1024p mode. It seems to be just latest DLP version with unusually high quality glass optics.

As previously mentioned I really appreciate this no-nonsense approach and have very high expectations. I have though not seen it yet.

#556 ·
#557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannat /forum/post/17496524

Agreed, but the HC3800 is void of nearly all but the necessary features. No AI, no FI, no motorized zoom, no lens shift. The only features they implemented that you usually do not see at this price level are anamorphic lens compatibility and 48Hz 1024p mode. It seems to be just latest DLP version with unusually high quality glass optics.

As previously mentioned I really appreciate this no-nonsense approach and have very high expectations. I have though not seen it yet.

Yeah the HC3800 is kinda like a Lamborghini with one seat, no A/c, no power sterring..etc lol

#558 ·
I dont get these projector companies. What do people do if they have a standard 7.5-8ft ceilings. That puts a 100" screen starting about a foot off the ground. or you get to hold it in your lap to get the image near the ceiling.

Am i just odd and really everyone has vaulted or 10ft ceilings now a days?

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiancE /forum/post/17496550

Yeah the HC3800 is kinda like a Lamborghini with one seat, no A/c, no power sterring..etc lol

SiancE

You are correct, this PJ has hardly any features. However I think I am going to prefer a PJ without the Dynamic Iris, and FI, because according to reviews I read on other PJ's - I dont think these PJ's are mature with those feature sets anyway. Better FI and Dynamic Iris still needs a lot of work.

My budget for a PJ right now is about $2500, but this Mitsubishi HC3800 looks appealing. Other contender I could look at is Epson 8500.

The main drawback to some with this PJ is the offset and not having lens shift etc.

I have my room on second floor and thus my backwall is almost 9-10 feet high and my front wall where screen will be is almost 8 feet, so I have flexibility in that regard.

If the PQ quality is good which it sounds like it is. I can forego these features as it would just require more precision for placement.

Yes the Dynamic Iris shows better blacks, but based on what I have seen and read in Art's reviews so far - one can easy see when the iris changes on these units and that would bug me.

The only thing that might stop me from getting this PJ is if the blacks are bad and 2) If there is motion blur.

Question:

Thus for those with DLP's out there is motion blur a characteristic of LCD or does DLP also suffer from motion blur? Or... is it not technology spesific?

This HC3800 seems like a great buy, but just wish there were real user reviews on this PJ.

I have just eliminated the PTAE4000 as users are experiencing dust blobs again and thermal issues, and my room although I keep it clean does have more than usual dust due to where I live, so I dont want to take that chance.

I look forward to reviews on this HC3800 - To me if image is great, I can do without the extra bells and whistles and drive that Lamborgini

Thanks

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole /forum/post/17496630

I dont get these projector companies. What do people do if they have a standard 7.5-8ft ceilings. That puts a 100" screen starting about a foot off the ground. or you get to hold it in your lap to get the image near the ceiling.

Am i just odd and really everyone has vaulted or 10ft ceilings now a days?

Well yes, many do have higher ceilings, and/or run screens smaller than 100", and/or don't like the PJ hanging right above our head, needing to 'duck' to avoid hitting it, etc. etc.

For everyone else, the mass Majority of PJ's these days have zero to little offset, so you have plenty to chose from.

For those of us that actually want a PJ with a large offset ('large' for today's PJ's, but pretty much std for PJ's of 5-6 years ago), we basically have only the HC3800 to chose from, nothing else

#563 ·
I have 8ft ceilings and my room is 9.8ft by 11ft and the hc3800 can give me a nice 87" diagonal with 14.5" offset from the ceiling. (according to official throw calculator) It would be an upgrade from the 83" I get with my actual pj home made.

I'll be using shortest projection distance with max zoom. PJ will be at the 9.8ft side right on top of my head, I don't mind noise. With such a small room, lamp in eco will give me lots of lumens and last longer too.

So, in my opinion yes it can work in 8ft ceilings. Here is the pic

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman /forum/post/17351606

Are you sure you're not mistaking resolution for sharpness?

No he's not... a sharp DT-510 is a 720p projector, just like his Planar.

He very clearly pointed out how he was underwhelmed going from 480p to the Sharp DT-510, a 720p projector that was supposed to be a lot sharper, but then he switched to his Planar and it looked much sharper.

#565 ·
I too have a standard 8' high ceiling and I'm concerned about the offset in the HC3800. I currently own the Optoma HD70 which also has a rather large offset. My Elite screen is approximately 15" down from the ceiling. I had to tilt the projector ever so slightly upward to keep the image from being too low. I have not noticed any effects on the picture quality.

Has anyone else tilted their projector to account for large offsets? I'm hoping the HC3800 will work for me but I'm a little concerned.

#567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelike2 /forum/post/17498893

I too have a standard 8' high ceiling and I'm concerned about the offset in the HC3800. I currently own the Optoma HD70 which also has a rather large offset. My Elite screen is approximately 15" down from the ceiling. I had to tilt the projector ever so slightly upward to keep the image from being too low. I have not noticed any effects on the picture quality.

Has anyone else tilted their projector to account for large offsets? I'm hoping the HC3800 will work for me but I'm a little concerned.

My old 4805 was tilted just a bit up towards screen/front high...not even enough to cause keystone issues. Maybe a half inch or so higher up front. I could have lowered screen a bit but it was mounted already. Guess I was lazy at the time. Anywho, a slight tilt should not matter.

#568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc /forum/post/17498923

The 3800 offset has me thinking as well. If ceiling mounted...how far below lens center to top of screen. And when I say top of screen I mean the edge where image would be projected...not the border edge but the actual white/gray viewing area.

on a 100" screen, middle of lens to white area of the screen is 16.5". So if you can get a 6" (aka the entire mount) pole your looking at 26" down from the ceiling.

#570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc /forum/post/17498923

The 3800 offset has me thinking as well. If ceiling mounted...how far below lens center to top of screen. And when I say top of screen I mean the edge where image would be projected...not the border edge but the actual white/gray viewing area.
http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....rs/HC3800.html

Click on the 'resources' tab, download the 'throw distance calculator'

#571 ·
Still confused...you mean top of screen would be 26 inches down from ceiling and the mount only needs to be about 6inches down from ceoling....then you have the thickness of pj itself, etc...for a 100 inch screen.? Yes? Or pj would be 2 feet down...!!!!

#572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman /forum/post/17499003

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....rs/HC3800.html

Click on the 'resources' tab, download the 'throw distance calculator'

ok, did that. Problem. I don't see the word throw, distance, or calculator. Where on that page do you see it?

EDIT...resource tab attached to product not the main page. Got it. I'm not a dork...just tired.

#573 ·
um, yes? if you mount the unit to the ceiling using a 6" mount then the picture will start 26" from the ceiling.

#574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole /forum/post/17499038

um, yes? if you mount the unit to the ceiling using a 6" mount then the picture will start 26" from the ceiling.

Ok. That is a bit tighter/closer to ceiling than my prev rig. Good. Would it be approx same with 90 in screen. I can't get the zip file to open. Ok...I am a dork temporarily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.