AVS Forum banner
171K views 476 replies 108 participants last post by  Jon Manning 
#1 ·
Hi All...found this on the porch when i got home yesterday....

#37 of 64 shipped to Amazon...

contents...white ;-(...forgot they offer several colors...wanted the dark blu...oh well...

atop my LG HS102G...definately sleeker bod...

Ok...all pix are outta the box settings...only turned off sound (real tinny speaker) & changed input to HDMI...otherwise left everything else as is...

Remote is same as 102...only in English ;-)...& they both work on either unit....so I was unable to blank 1 or the other out...had to cover lens with left hand & clic pix with rite to do the coke pepsi thing between the 102 & 201....anyway...first impressions...way briter & quieter the the 102...richer colors...better menu setup for user friendly navigation...

Pix are in sets of 2...1st is 102...2nd is 201...started @ 3:45PM...few of commercial in ambient with blinds open on rite...

Weather @ 4:15 channel 7 HD...little darker out...like these for the color...

Ok...the rest are FXHD channel...movie @ 5:30...Fantastic 4 RoSS...torch lites are 15watt bulbs...

Noticable improvement over the 102...looking forward to this weekend & checking it out with briter ambient lite...will clic sum pix & post.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Bachiano...thanx...so far its great! With regards to gaming...next time the grandkids are over i'll have my oldest grandson bring his playstation & check this out.

Hi davidcw8...no rainbows at all...from what i understand...its the RGB switch technology.

Hi kennl66...love the focus on this compared to my 102...this one is on the side...much easier & more precise then the 102 which you have to rotate at the lense with a bezel simular to a Breitling watch bezel...1 slip & ur cleaning the lense ;-(....this 201 did not come with a bag...i'll use my 102 bag if need be...checkd ur vids on utube...very nicely done...will consider the 'G' in blu when availible here & this 1 will probly go to my girlfriend to replace benq pb6200 i gave her 2 years ago....really like the dark blu 1...with regards to ur focus query...so far its spot on...usually set it to a HD news channel with lettering & focus till its the sharpest.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG's HDHTPC /forum/post/17485581

...with regards to ur focus query...so far its spot on...usually set it to a HD news channel with lettering & focus till its the sharpest.

no i meant when you move or turn the focus knob on the side does the screen slightly move? i noticed when i turn it up or down to focus i see the screen or projection move slightly up or down too.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcw8 /forum/post/17482894

Does this projector use RGB Leds with switching, or does it use a colour wheel? i.e. Are there any visible rainbows.

davidcw8

You can see a tiny bit of rainbows if you move your eyes rapidly. However there is no comparison to the Samsung P400 I recently owned, that LED projector had significant rainbows, I would say about the equivalent of a 2X wheel. The LG is almost unnoticeable, but you can tell that it is color cycling if you look at the lens...

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/17486323

You can see a tiny bit of rainbows if you move your eyes rapidly. However there is no comparison to the Samsung P400 I recently owned, that LED projector had significant rainbows, I would say about the equivalent of a 2X wheel. The LG is almost unnoticeable, but you can tell that it is color cycling if you look at the lens...

What are your impressions of the LG HS201, Robert? Color (skin tones), resolution/screendoor, sharpness, brightness, etc? How does this compare to a decent 1080p/720p bulb projector?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano /forum/post/17486082

What is this ??? > "RGB Leds with switching"

Thanks

With DLP single chip projectors the colour is achieved by using a frame sequential method. Unfortunately, using a colour wheel to select colours you are limited in the maximum frame rate you can achieve by the rotational speed of the colour wheel. With individual Red, Green and Blue Leds supplying the light, you can achieve a much higher frame rate by switching the Leds in sequence, and there are no moving parts to wear out.

The higher the display frame rate, the less visible rainbows

davidcw8

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus /forum/post/17486359

What are your impressions of the LG HS201, Robert? Color (skin tones), resolution/screendoor, sharpness, brightness, etc? How does this compare to a decent 1080p/720p bulb projector?

Hi Sisyphus.

I'm enjoying the LG so far. I've had an Aaxatech P1 clone (pico projector), a Dell M109s LED pocket projector (which I still have), a Samsung P400 (which I enjoyed but died), and I've toyed with a few more. My interest in these LED projectors is to extend the life of my main theater projector, which is currently a Viewsonic Pro8100 (I also still own a Sharpvision XV-Z3000).

My interest in the LG is due to the HDMI input, I believe it's the first one on the market with one, and for me splitting the signal makes using it with the PC, PS3, Directv much more family friendly. The Samsung was unable to display even a 720p signal (downrezzed of course.)

Color: very saturated out of the box....TOO saturated out of the box. Skin tones are a bit off, I haven't calibrated it yet but looking at the menu options it looks very doable. It defaults to "vivid" mode and has several preset modes and some user modes including Cinema but skin tones look too warm on that so far.

Sharpness: Good sharpness, no edge to edge variation as on the Dell or Aaxatech, the Samsung was fairly sharp too. Pixels are readily visible.

Brightness: Very good, a little brighter maybe than the Samsung, but it's close. Much brighter than the Dell. I have gone as large as a 90" diagonal, but I like the punch with a 70-80" size (4:3 mode).

Resolution: Aahh....the Achilles heel of this projector. The lens quality is good enough that the 800x600 resolution is readily visible in all uses at larger screen sizes. I came very close to buying a used eBay sample of the Forever Plus 720p led projector with HDMI, but begged off at the last minute. It's somewhat dimmer and has an unusual vertical orientation.

Why LG didn't make this second generation unit at least XGA is a mystery to me. Perhaps that's how they were able to meet their lower pricepoint.

The LG has no offset and relatively short throw (90" diagonal at 104"), which makes ceiling placement challenging. I think I'm going to end up mounting in on my theater seat cupholder.

The LG would be a fine starter projector, bedroom projector, portable projector (maybe the best one so far due to it's fine brightness and great input choices) or, as I am using it, backup projector for casual use. I'm not sure it's a better choice than a low price 720p model resolution is not even close, but it IS a great relief not to have that bulb life worry every single time you fire it up!

Hope that helps...

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience, Robert. I'm playing with the idea of getting two of these to experiment with 3D projection.
I'm also considering placing two of these side by side for a Eyefinity 1200 x 800 or 1600 x 600 configuration.

#15 ·
Eyefinity is AMD/ATI's multidisplay solution. What makes it unique is it operates on a driver level. All applications (blu-ray player software, media center, tv, games, etc) should see the multimonitor setup as a single high resolution display. When in fact, you have 2, 3, even 6 projectors/displays configured in a edge-aligned orientation. This allows you to linearly increase resolution and brightness by adding displays.

3 LCD Monitors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADI2J...eature=related

Using 24 LCD monitors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec

Using 3 projectors (which should give you a seamless image if setup properly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzH0aqTg7AQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrYmN85pys

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/17494506

Hi Sisyphus.

The LG has no offset and relatively short throw (90" diagonal at 104"), which makes ceiling placement challenging. I think I'm going to end up mounting in on my theater seat cupholder.

Hope that helps...

Well, that one fact will probably kill any possibilities of this unit for me. The location I was considering seemed ideal at first. It is light controlled, has reasonable access for running wiring, and has adequate room for a conveniently located 80+ inch screen. But it also has a coffered ceiling. I was hoping for at lease a moderate amount of offset to avoid the need to mount the projector on a long drop from the ceiling. I could have compromised a bit, but if this unit really has no offset I just cannot see it being ceiling mounted in most cases.

Tom

#17 ·
Can you tilt this PJ upwards and project on the ceiling?

A lot of PJ's dont allow for this, because the cooling then doesn't work properly and the heat rises to places where it can damage the PJ.

It should be in the manual, my Sony HW10 has such limitations of how to position the PJ clearly explained. Could you please have a look in your manual? Thanks.

Neko

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaksa /forum/post/17496844

Well, that one fact will probably kill any possibilities of this unit for me. The location I was considering seemed ideal at first. It is light controlled, has reasonable access for running wiring, and has adequate room for a conveniently located 80+ inch screen. But it also has a coffered ceiling. I was hoping for at lease a moderate amount of offset to avoid the need to mount the projector on a long drop from the ceiling. I could have compromised a bit, but if this unit really has no offset I just cannot see it being ceiling mounted in most cases.

Tom

You could ceiling mount it and use keystone adjustment to square the image... with the resulting image softening of course...

#19 ·
Hi kennl66....yes...when I rotate he focus knob downward ...the lense jumps upward ever so slightly...design flaw...removed the 5 screws Saturday AM...released the clip on the vent side & removed the bottom cover....the lense is about 1.5" + & no support at the end...just sits atop the focus knobs cogged wheel...talk about stuffn 10 lbs of tech in a 5 lb case!

Glad to see all who have this lil beamer are satisfied as I am, not only on this thread but speedtriplex's. Had a chance to do ambient lite & very pleased with it compared to the 102. I did lower the outta the box color setting from 70 to 50...indeed much better...less saturated as Robert stated earlier. As before...102 1st...201 2nd....

Weather on 5 @ 7:15AM...sun rises threw front window...

Some shots from KB1 on Spike @ 1:00PM...

It was on 12 hrs + Saturday & Sunday ...very happy with the brightness this one has as it was the 1st weekend since mid Sept we had both days sunny up here in New England....next weekend mite do a bulb - LED comparison...my Optoma HD73 vs LG HS201 in ambient lite to see which fairs better....anyway...can only imagine what the next gen will offer.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/17497340

You could ceiling mount it and use keystone adjustment to square the image... with the resulting image softening of course...

I am not opposed to the use of a modest amount of keystone adjustment and do use it on the projector in my main theater to allow better placement. But in the location I am considering for this unit the amount would be extreme. I doubt I would be happy with the image with that amount of keystone adjustment. Even if the unit allowed the amount of adjustment I would need, the focus between the top and bottom of the screen would be an issue.

For now I think I will wait for some new units to come along that better fit my needs. This unit seems to take a big step toward making LED a main stream projection option. And the fast start up, long lamp life, and low price it offers seems to be opening up some uses that formerly were only suited to a traditional display. No doubt there will be additional units soon that address a broader set of customer needs.

#22 ·
Hi monakh...anytime....good to hear from you...ditto...but this one is a noticable improvement...especially with regards to briteness & less fan noise...& HDMI. You can loose the 102 Korean remote cuz the English 201 operates both... ;-). Definately post sum pix when you get it!

#25 ·
I was just about to buy one of these before I saw people here talking about the throw distance and positioning. Does it project a little bit upwards like the average business projector? I was thinking I could put it in 2 different places, the first being on a tripod basically between my legs when sitting down (not the best place for it). I would have a 60"ish screen like this. The 2nd place being right behind the couch on a tall tripod, even if I had to build a special mount to hold it upside down. That setup would give me a 100" ish screen. Could someone who owns one see what sort of angle it projects at?

#26 ·
Just received my HS201 from Amazon and I am p***ed. I've been trying all afternoon to install it... it seems impossible to get square image with this thing. In my room I only have a place for a projector if it is ceiling mounted, which is a huge problem with the LG.

Does anyone have an idea how to ceiling mount it? It only has one hole on the bottom that fits a tripod mount... that's all. I don't think I've seen any projector mounts designed for one hole.

I've tried a bunch of improvised solutions, but nothing seems to work, it always wants to tilt a little. Even a tripod mount doesn't fit all that close.

I hope I can find a way to make it work, because the picture is amazingly good. It is plenty bright, even in eco mode, the contrast is as good as any DLP projector with 2000:1 CR I've seen, and the low resolution doesn't bother me at all since I generally avoid sitting home counting pixels on my screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.