AVS Forum banner

Cih subtitle master thread

68K views 353 replies 58 participants last post by  jake51 
#1 ·
If you have a link or just want to list a title, put it in this thread. I will be moving everything to this first page on a regular basis.

This list is only for ENGLISH language subs. (Star Wars-type alien translations, foreign films with English subs or English language films with English subs for certain scenes where another language is spoken.) This list WILL NOT cover SDH subs or subs in a foreign language for an English language release, although I think another thread is a great idea to cover those titles.

****DISCLAIMER****

Some STANDARD DVD titles on this list may only be CIH safe if using certain Dvd players. Some titles listed as safe may in fact not be "safe" with certain players and settings. This was brought up by a concerned member. Someone step in and PM me if you know otherwise, but I believe that BD titles are going to be the same regardless of player as this is an authoring issue and players are not capable of relocating subs.

[EDIT]Please note: Most Blu-ray Players will shift the Bit Map subtitle on DVD up by approx 10% giving the illusion that the STs are actually in the picture. This is why Star Wars has been moved to STs out of the picture.

SUBTITLES IN PICTURE

400 Blows BD

10,000 BC BD

A Mighty Heart BD

Assembly (Hong Kong import) BD

Australia BD (REGION B)

Basic Instict BD

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD ***UK VERSION ONLY!!!

Body of Lies BD

Boondock Saints BD

Bourne Supremacy BD

Bourne Ultimatum BD

Bourne Identity BD

Clear and Present Danger BD

Contact DVD

Dark Water BD

Day the Earth Stood Still, The (2008) BD

Death Race BD

The Decent BD

Dejavu BD

Die Another Day BD

Die Hard II BD

Die Hard with a Vengeance BD

Domino BD

Drag Me Into Hell BD [A]

Eight Below BD

End of Days HD-DVD

Fearless HD-DVD & BD

First Blood BD

Flightplan BD

Four Brothers BD

Galaxy Quest BD [A]

Gammorah (UK Release) BD

G.I. Joe [Blu-ray, region A]

The Golden Compass [BD, Region A]

Goonies [region B] BD

Heyy Babyy (Eros) BD

Hitman BD

Hunt for Red October BD

The Incredibles DVD

Independence Day BD

The Incredible Hulk (2008) BD

Inglourious Basterds BD

Iron Man BD

Italian Job BD

JCVD (UK import) BD

Kill Bill Vol 1 BD ** 2 lines of dialog drop into lower bar, but it is not missed

Kill Bill Vol 2 BD

King Kong HD-DVD

The Kingdom DVD

Kung Fu Panda BD

La Vie en Rose BD (adjustable subtitles)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen D-Theater

Let the Right One In BD

Live Free or Die Hard BD

Lives of Others BD

Love Actually BD

Max Payne BD

Miami Vice BD

Miracle at St. Anna BD

Mission Impossible BD

Mission Impossible 2 BD

Mission Impossible 3 BD

Mr. & Mrs. Smith BD

Mummy BD

Mummy Returns BD

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor BD

Om Shanti Om (Eros) BD

The Orphanage BD

Passion of the Christ BD, DVD, D-Theater

Patriot Games BD

Pierrot le Fou BD

Pineapple Express (Apple TV)

Quantum of Solace BD

Rambo (2008) BD

The Rock (UK Import) BD

Ronin BD

Shooter BD

Sivaji

Slumdog Millionaire BD (REGION B)

Speedracer BD

Spiderman 3 BD

Stargate BD

Starman BD [A]

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection BD

Sum of all Fears BD

Sunshine BD

Synecdoche, New York BD

Taegukgi (Korean import) BD

Team American DVD

Three Days of the Condor BD

Transformers BD

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen [both Scope and "Big Screen Editions"]

Transiberian BD

Transporter 3 BD

Tropic Thunder BD [A]

True Lies DVD

Truth About Charlie HDNET

U-571 BD

Volver BD

Wall E BD

War BD

We Were Soldiers BD

World is not Enough BD

SUBTITLES NOT IN PICTURE

30 Days Of Night BD

36 Quai des Orfèvres (Department 36) - French import

Angles And Demons BD half in half out of the active picture

Assembly UK VERSION BD **HK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD **UK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Blood: The Last Vampire BD

CJ7 BD

Curse of the Golden Flower BD

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dances with Wolves Blu-Ray (German Import, Region B, Kinowelt) Half in half out of the active picture.

Day Watch BD

Dragon Wars BD

district b13 BD & DVD

Flash Point (HK Import) BD

Four Flies on Grey Velvet SD DVD

Godzilla BD [A]

Gran Torino BD

Hancock BD - The subs are absolutely not important. It is a very short scene at the beginning.

The Hidden Fortress Criterion Collection DVD

House of Flying Daggers BD

The International BD

Jean De Florette/Manon des Sources DVD

Jodhaa Akbar

Kung Fu Hustle BD

La Femme Nikita BD

Letters from Iwo Jima BD

Mad Detective (UK Release) BD

Max Manus: Man of War (UK Import)

MR73 (French Import) BD

The Myth BD

Oceans 13 BD

Oldboy BD

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (French import) BD

Patton BD

Pineapple Express BD

The Professionals BD

Redcliff (HK VERS) BD

Revolver BD

Rock N Roller (REGION B) BD

Saawariya BD

Seven Pounds BD

Star Wars: A New Hope SE DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi SE DVD

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace DVD

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones DVD

Star Wars: A New Hope - original version DVD

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - original version DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - original version DVD

Tell No One (FORMAT NOT SPECIFIED)

Vantage Point BD

Warriors of Heaven BD

Youth Without Youth BD

See less See more
#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff /forum/post/17491100

somewhere in the black bars?

Your probably going to have to use the 16:9s mode. The projector doesn't know if the screen is 16:9 or Scope, so unless the icon is moveable, yes, they will be in the black bars when you use the Zoom method. The two modes are 16:9 and 16:9s, so the only 'Scope" mode is Zoom 1 which is one of the Scaling modes for CIH when you use an A-Lens. This not only Vertically Stretches the image, it will actually cut off the controls.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff /forum/post/17491100

I am planning to upgrade my 135" 16:9 to 2.35:1 when I upgrade to an ae4000. I can't seem to find the answer to this question, and I know it is a simple question: when the play/pause/stop/ff/rew etc... buttons are hit, the command shows up on the screen. In my current 16:9 system, PowerDVD 9 from my HTPC places the control symbol in the upper right corner. I know I can move the subtitles around to fit in the screen, but what happens to the control symbols that usually show up outside of the 2.35:1 format, somewhere in the black bars? Thanks.

Dump PowerDVD and rip all your movies to a media server then play with MPC-HC. There isn't any blu-ray's I haven't been able to move the subs into the safe area.

Mike

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/17510590

Didn't Sony recently do a poll of Blu-ray and DVD purchasers about where to place future subtitles????

If so, they are apparently refusing to accept the results of that poll as I've read reports that both Angels & Demons and Godzilla are not CIH friendly.

Yeah, they've not taken any action whatsoever.

#209 ·
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray). The first scene is 1.33:1 windowboxed into the center of the 2.40:1 image. The movie has about 2 or 3 lines of subtitled alien dialogue inside the picture. Disc is CIH safe.

#210 ·
Anyone know if the english subs for the US Criterion release of Gomorrah are CIH friendly?

Thanks,

Tom

#211 ·
If it is not in the list on page 1, then I guess it has not been watched and posted. If you do watch this, please let us know and it will be added.

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/17583631

Anyone know if the english subs for the US Criterion release of Gomorrah are CIH friendly?

Thanks,

Tom

I haven't watched Gomorrah specifically, but all of the Criterion Blu-rays I've watched so far have been CIH friendly. I just watched Pierrot le Fou last night, and subtitles were inside the 2.35:1 picture.

#213 ·
Angels and Demons had subtitles outside the picture. Plus the gap between the lines was excessively wide. My projector has a 'caption' mode that slightly sqishes the picture vertically exposing the second line of captions. This works really well because it allows me to still use my lens with minimal distortion. Because of the line spacing the second line was only partially visible. I could still read the captions though but it took more time deciphering the lines.

1. Angles and Demons

2. Blu-ray

3. Not sure of region but I'm in the US.

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemsaba /forum/post/17610717

Angels and Demons had subtitles outside the picture. Plus the gap between the lines was excessively wide. My projector has a 'caption' mode that slightly sqishes the picture vertically exposing the second line of captions. This works really well because it allows me to still use my lens with minimal distortion. Because of the line spacing the second line was only partially visible. I could still read the captions though but it took more time deciphering the lines.

1. Angles and Demons

2. Blu-ray

3. Not sure of region but I'm in the US.

Just like "the divinci code"...

#215 ·
Here's a thought...Perhaps add a foot note for movies with subs that can be moved into the image area with an HTPC, upcoming Oppo Firmware update, or The Phillips Player.

Here is a list of movie's I've moved sub with an HTPC:

Gran Torino BD

Angles And Demons BD

Letters from Iwo Jima BD

Pineapple Express BD

Youth Without Youth BD

Vantage Point BD

Mike

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/17641349

Here's a thought...Perhaps add a foot note for movies with subs that can be moved into the image area with an HTPC, upcoming Oppo Firmware update, or The Phillips Player.

The Philips and (soon) Oppo can move any subtitles on any disc. Seems kind of redundant to point this out after every title.

Besides, the primary use for this list will be for people with Blu-ray players that can't move subtitles (still the vast majority).

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17641432

The Philips and (soon) Oppo can move any subtitles on any disc. Seems kind of redundant to point this out after every title.

Besides, the primary use for this list will be for people with Blu-ray players that can't move subtitles (still the vast majority).

Is ANY a true statement? If the subs are burn into the image, then the player would not be able to move them.

I just thought it might be some good information for people on the fence on whether to buy a new Oppo player.

Mike

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/17641586

Is ANY a true statement? If the subs are burn into the image, then the player would not be able to move them.

Well, if they're burned into the image, then obviously they wouldn't be able to be moved.

However, I don't know of any Blu-rays (and hardly any DVDs) with subtitles burned in to the letterbox bar. Burned-in subs are usually taken from a film element or theatrical print, and thus would be in the movie image and CIH safe.

Subtitles in the letterbox are almost always player-generated, and should be movable with the right player.

Quote:
I just thought it might be some good information for people on the fence on whether to buy a new Oppo player.

When the new firmware is officially released, we can start a new thread specific to the Oppo player.

#219 ·
So OPPO has officially announced that they will definitely be able to implement subtitle movement via firmware update? And the aforementioned firmware is coming down the pipe sooner than later? Any time line mentioned? (I don't remember reading about this in the OPPO thread) If so - this is Fantastic news!

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17643235

Well, if they're burned into the image, then obviously they wouldn't be able to be moved.

And they are not in the black bars either.

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/17643524

So OPPO has officially announced that they will definitely be able to implement subtitle movement via firmware update? And the aforementioned firmware is coming down the pipe sooner than later? Any time line mentioned? (I don't remember reading about this in the OPPO thread) If so - this is Fantastic news!

It hasn't been officially announced yet. Kris kind of spilled the beans in the Philips 7300 thread.

All I can say is that there is a firmware in private beta status. It has not yet been evaluated and tested to the point that it's safe to release as a public beta yet. Until that happens, there is no official promise. It's still at a stage where they might discover a deal-breaker that prevents it from being released.

#223 ·
Terminator Salvation seems to have all text (are these still classed as STs?) in the active picture.

My copy is a BD, Region ABC which is odd for a SONY title.

#224 ·
Oppo has sent me the link to download beta firmware 1125, that allows to shift the subtitles.

I have tested and that feature works NICELY

Quote:
We have created a Beta Firmware for the BDP-83 which will allow the BDP-83 to playback Terminator Salvation. You can read the firmware upgrade instructions at: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-47-1125b.aspx

Please note that this is a Beta Firmware and does not carry any guarantees. This firmware may cause playback issues with other media. You will be using this firmware at your own risk.
Quote:
Release Information:

Release date: December 9, 2009.

Category: Public Beta Version

Main Version: BDP83-47-1125B

Loader Version: BE2600 or BT0340

Sub Version: MCU83-25-0811

Release Notes:

Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-40-0925, the major changes included in this version are:

- Blu-ray Disc compatibility improvement, especially for certain titles such as the European version of "Terminator Salvation".

- Experimental subtitle shift feature. During playback, press and hold the "SUBTITLE" button to activate the function and then use up/down arrow buttons to move the subtitle. The shift position is saved in the Playback Setup section of the setup menu. This feature is useful for customers with 2.35:1 projection screens.

- OSD position feature. The OSD (On-Screen Display) can be moved to work together with the subtitle shift feature. There is a new setup menu option in the Playback Setup section for this.

- Auto mode for HDMI Audio format. The new "Auto" mode enables the player to use bitstream audio output for audio formats that are supported by the A/V receiver, and LPCM for formats that cannot be decoded by the A/V receiver.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-47-1125b.aspx

If you go directly on site you cannot find that firmware, you need to use that link posted above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.