AVS Forum banner

Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC

318K views 2K replies 165 participants last post by  srauly 
#1 ·
There were a couple of other threads started about the Acer and one about the ION platform in general, but the title of the Acer threads wasn't quite ideal or specific to running XBMC so I figured I'd start a new thread with the idea that this might become the "official" thread for the Acer AspireRevo running XBMC. There's also a very long thread about XBMC here, but it covers a variety of hardware which can run XBMC, including everything from classic XBox's (which can't decode high-bitstream 720P/1080P content), to AppleTV's (which are in a similar boat capability-wise), to pricey computers running XBMC.

There are many, like me, who have enjoyed the pleasures of XBMC running on a classic XBox. It offers great usability combined with a great price. What it has lacked is the ability to handle high-bitrate HD content. There's a lot of discussion lately about the latest crop of standalone low-cost streamers, including the Asus O!Play, brite-view CinemaTube, WDTV (and upcoming WDTV Live), Seagate Theater+, Egreat 34A, and Popcorn Hour units, etc. Users who have bought some of the lower-cost models are now finding that they have various issues, with lack of bitstream support for DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD being a biggie. And in all cases, the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

So with all of that said, let's talk about the Acer AspireRevo. I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm about to pull the trigger. I'm most interested in the least expensive model currently available in the US. At only $200, it's above the price of the classic XBox, the Asus O!Play, and the likely price of the WDTV Live. But it's less expensive than the Popcorn Hour, and the mature, skinnable XBMC UI has a lot going for it.

Many have criticized the AspireRevo for only being a single-core processor with only 1GB of RAM. The CPU/graphics chipset combo does not do well with some streaming media like YouTube and Hulu. But the graphics chipset can handle high-bitrate 1080P content with minimal CPU load. There are people who are upgrading the RAM, but I haven't yet determined what, if any, benefit that offers for people using this as an XBMC machine (I suspect they're upgrading it more for desktop PC benefits). My opinion is that if it isn't *necessary* and doesn't add any real benefit for streaming media, improving the responsiveness of the XBMC UI, etc., then I'd prefer to do without it and keep the price down. In my case, I need to have multiple rooms in my house equipped, so the lower the price, the better.

The stock unit comes with Windows XP Home, a wired keyboard, and a mouse. There is an HDMI port, but no optical/coax audio out (I haven't determined if one of the mini-audio outputs can be configured as an audio coax out). I believe that it has a fan but is reported to be very quiet. It also has an SD slot. Lastly, it has a 160GB hard drive (which is useful in arguing its "value" as compared to some of the low-cost streamers, but is probably of little value for those of us who only need to use this as a streaming client). It does not come with an infrared sensor, so you'll need to add a separate USB infrared sensor for that, which is a shame since it will add some kludginess to the otherwise small unit.

To run XBMC at its best, from what I've read, you will not want to run the Windows version of XBMC, but rather the Linux or XBMC Live version, the latter of which can be installed on a USB stick or SD card.

I am still trying to confirm whether this can bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD, but from what I've read so far, I believe that if there is an issue with that, that it is with the current version of XBMC (i.e., a software issue, and not a hardware issue).

Here are a few links to get interested folks started:

http://www.xbmc.org

If you're not already familiar with XBMC, you'll want to take a look at this site and the forums within it.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53888

This is a "How-To" thread discussing installing XBMC on the AspireRevo. Note that the poster discusses upgrading the RAM, but doesn't explain why that's necessary. He also uses an external USB DVD-ROM drive to install XBMC, but that "shouldn't" be necessary. If I end up getting one of these, I'll replace this link with step-by-step directions in this thread for installing XBMC on this device.

So let's get the discussion and Q&A going! Anyone with an AspireRevo (or an ION device of another sort) with XBMC, please jump in with what you love or hate about this platform.

Instructions for using XBMC for Windows (XP) in conjunction with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema:

Note: When adding sources (or if you're an XBMC "old timer" and you already have a sources.xml file), you'll need to map your drives as letters under Windows XP and refer to them by letter/path in your sources.xml file, as opposed to using SMB sharing. This is necessary because of how external player support and/or MPC-HC works.

1) Go into your BIOS settings. Change the GPU memory allocation to 256MB (Optional: If you upgrade your box to 1.5GB or more, you can up this to 512MB).

2) Optional: Uninstall unnecessary apps on XP.

3) Update XP to get the latest updates.

4) *** Update: Ignore this step for now. Many have had problems after upgrading to the latest drivers. I'm leaving the details here as a placeholder and for anyone wishing to experiment. ***

Update your NVIDIA drivers. Note: this may or may not be necessary, and as of 12/6/2009, the latest graphics drivers will break the NVIDIA high-def audio, so you don't want those. Version 195.55 is known to work, and you can get that here . Here are the versions of all NVIDIA-related drivers that I'm currently running successfully:
Code:
Code:
- Display adapters / NVIDIA ION LE
- Driver version: 6.14.11.9107, dated: 9/27/2009
* Note: this is known by NVIDIA as v195.55.

- IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers / NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
- Driver version: 11.1.0.30, dated: 6/30/2009

- Network adapters / NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
- Driver version: 73.1.0.0, dated: 7/1/2009

- NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
- Same driver information as previous

- Sound, video and game controllers: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
- Driver version: 1.0.0.59, dated: 8/21/2009
5) Install Media Center Edition Remote / Keyboard drivers. You can find a link to them here .

6) Install XBMC Camelot Beta 1 for Windows from the official site .

7) Install (MPC-HC) Media Player Classic - Home Cinema .

8) You will need to make changes to your playercorefactory.xml file (located under C:\\Program Files\\XBMC\\System) so that it will launch MPC-HC for high-def movie file formats (e.g., .ts, .m2ts, .mkv). Make a backup copy of this file, and replace the contents of playercorefactory.xml with the following (Note: Leave out the MountAndPlay section if you don't want to use MPC-HC for playing standard-def DVD .ISO files and the MountAndPlayBlu section if you don't need the ability to play back Blu-ray .ISO files):
Code:
Code:
C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpc-hc.exe
      /fullscreen /close "{1}"
      true
      false
      none

C:\\XBMC_Extras\\MountAndPlay.bat

true
      true
      none

C:\\XBMC_Extras\\MountAndPlayBlu.bat

true
      true
      none
If you *do* want to play .ISO files through MPC-HC, you'll need to first download and install SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive .

Then, create a directory named C:\\XBMC_Extras. For standard-def DVD .ISO file compatibility, create a .bat file named MountAndPlay.bat within this directory. Cut and paste the following code into this file:
Code:
Code:
"C:\\Program Files\\Elaborate Bytes\\VirtualCloneDrive\\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpc-hc.exe" E: /fullscreen /play /close
"C:\\Program Files\\Elaborate Bytes\\VirtualCloneDrive\\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
For Blu-ray .ISO compatibility, create a .bat file named MountAndPlayBlu.bat and cut/paste the following code into this file:
Code:
Code:
"C:\\Program Files\\Elaborate Bytes\\VirtualCloneDrive\\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 > NUL
"C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpc-hc.exe" "e:\\BDMV\\index.bdmv" /fullscreen /play /close
"C:\\Program Files\\Elaborate Bytes\\VirtualCloneDrive\\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
9) Configure your audio. If you have a 5.1 A/V receiver that you're connecting the Revo to via HDMI, within XBMC, under System / Settings / System / Audio Hardware, set things as follows:

Audio Output: Digital

- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver:

- DTS Capable receiver:

Audio output device: NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Downmix multichannel audio to stereo:

Or, if you are connecting the Revo to an LCD/plasma TV over HDMI, set them as follows:

Audio Output: Digital

- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver:

- DTS Capable receiver:

Audio output device: NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Downmix multichannel audio to stereo:

Note: These settings will only apply to audio for movies you playback through XBMC. Movies that gets played back through MPC-HC will require setting the audio settings appropriately through MPC-HC (to do: add instructions for that).

10) Create a text file named advancedsettings.xml and put it in your C:\\Documents and Settings\\[YourUserNameHere]\\Application Data\\XBMC\\userdata directory. Put the following in this file (this will allow XBMC to be given focus back after exiting out of MPC-HC):
Code:
Code:
true
11) Enable wake-on-USB support (so you can put it in/out of Standby mode with your remote control):

a) Run regedit.

b) Create a new key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\ named "usb" (sans quotes)

c) Under that, create the following two variables, both of type DWORD (the default values of all zeroes is what you want):

- USBBIOSHACKS

- USBBIOSx

d) Reboot.

See less See more
#553 ·
What exactly are the capabilities of this set-up? Over HDMI:

What video capabilities (e.g., 1080p 24fps) ?

What audio capabilities (DTS-MA? TrueHD?)

Right now I am using MKV containers for HD programming, and wonder if this would be a better alternative for me.

I'd rather know this up front before spending the $$ and time on this.

#554 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly /forum/post/17597387

David:

I finally got the remote in. No dice there. I installed all sorts of drivers from all across the web and nothing seemed to work. XP detects it as an eHome Transceiver, but no driver was good enough for it, so it remained with a yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager. After spending a couple of hours on this, I uninstalled it, boxed it back up, and I'll be sending it back. At this point, the HP MCE USB IR receiver seems like the safest best for XP.

Yeah, I sent an email to the vendor asking if there was an XP driver for their receiver. Their response was "sorry, no". So I ordered another one but on the day it showed up I figured out how to get my Harmony remote to recognize my initial IR receiver so now I have it fully working (and I have two extra IR receivers ... one of which only works in Vista).

David

#555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh /forum/post/17605102

I tried the version 62 drivers since the version 55 drivers caused the HD Audio to be lost.

The problem persists

I also went from Camelot Alpha 2 to Beta 1 and switched from PM3-HD to Confluence skin. Everything seems fine except that HD files played using MPC-HC through the XBMC front end stutter whereas they play fine using MPC-HC standalone.

I haven't looked into it more carefully but suspect that 1G of memory isn't enough.

unmesh,

Make sure nothing else is running on the box. I've had to make sure that XBMC goes idle and that there is nothing else running on the box to make sure the MPC gets the cycles it needs (run task manager to see if the CPU cycles are going to something else). I accidentally had google desktop running which would cause problems....

David

#556 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach /forum/post/17622843

unmesh,

Make sure nothing else is running on the box. I've had to make sure that XBMC goes idle and that there is nothing else running on the box to make sure the MPC gets the cycles it needs (run task manager to see if the CPU cycles are going to something else). I accidentally had google desktop running which would cause problems....

David

I've been able to confirm that nothing else is running. BIOS is at default i.e. set to allocate 128MB of RAM to graphics.

Even the sound is messed up at times.

MPC-HC via XBMC does have the controls on top of the screen rather than the bottow and they look different than when running MPC-HC standalone in fullscreen mode.

Is that is a relevant difference?

P.S. The file I'm using as my torture test is the DIVX7 trailer of Watchmen, Matroska container, 1920x800/AVC/High@4.0 with 2-channel AAC audio. I believe I got it from divx.com

#557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh /forum/post/17624711

I've been able to confirm that nothing else is running. BIOS is at default i.e. set to allocate 128MB of RAM to graphics.

Even the sound is messed up at times.

MPC-HC via XBMC does have the controls on top of the screen rather than the bottow and they look different than when running MPC-HC standalone in fullscreen mode.

Is that is a relevant difference?

P.S. The file I'm using as my torture test is the DIVX7 trailer of Watchmen, Matroska container, 1920x800/AVC/High@4.0 with 2-channel AAC audio. I believe I got it from divx.com

I would bet that you are not actually running the MP-HC player. Try right click on the file you want to play and select "play using..." to see if the MP-HC player is the default or even in the list.

David

#558 ·
FYI, the deal on the LiquidTV package (for $30) is back:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1698767

Be warned: I have not had any success connecting this directly to the Revo and watching stutter-free live TV with this. I have had success recording TV on the Revo with this and then watching it later. The best option is probably to hook one or more of these up to a more powerful "media server" and then stream the recorded shows to the Revos.

The included software is not very good (doesn't support ClearQAM), and the included IR receiver does not appear to support push-and-hold/repeating button presses (e.g., pressing down and holding it, moves down only once). But the included Hauppauge 950Q tuner is a steal at $30. It supports ATSC and ClearQAM (note that you can't watch scrambled cable channels with this). And if you don't mind the non-repeating button presses, the IR receiver/remote can be configured with EventGhost to control XBMC. You can also sell the software, IR receiver, and/or remote and probably end up getting the 950Q for free (or better).

If anyone here has had any success watching *LIVE TV* on the Revo, please let me/us know what software you're using and how you're doing it. I've tried numerous apps and have had the most success with SageTV, but even with that it's not watchable for me.

#559 ·

Quote:

I believe that you should be able to set this to 256MB with the stock 1GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM (which I don't believe is necessary), would allow you to up this to 512MB.

Quote:

As David said, this would indicate that XBMC is using the internal player (or some other player) and not kicking off MPC-HC. Did you follow the instructions in the original post in this thread?

Quote:

What is the file extension for this file? If it's something other than .ts, .m2ts, or .mkv, then the instructions in the original post as-written would not result in launching MPC-HC to play this file. You will need to tweak the playercorefactory.xml file to include any additional file types you'll be wanting to play with MPC-HC. See the "

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/17629525

recommendations on USB IR receiver for XP and XBMC on this box. must work with Harmony.....

unforuntately this unit does not seem to work with the harmony at all....

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...9621774&sr=8-1

Sean

Are you sure this unit won't work with the Harmony? The initial unit I bought I thought at first didn't work with the Harmony but I eventually figured out that it does: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

What I had to do in the Harmony configuration tool was:

1) Add a generic keyboard (not a MCE keyboard instead it comes up as "AAA Generic Keyboard")

2) Learn the appropriate keys from this remote via the Harmony remote. This was initially my problem because I thought the Harmony couldn't receive from this remote. I took the back cover off of the Harmony and played around with the position of the two remotes until it could receive the signals. Then I trained the Harmony for all of the keys I needed.

3) Setup a generic activity with my TV, AV Receiver, and Acer Revo unit called XBMC.

4) Customized the buttons for this activity so that the volume controls would go to the AV Receiver and the XBMC controls would go to the generic remote receiver attached to the revo.

Now I can use my Harmony to manipulate XBMC. Note that I did NOT have to load any special MCE drivers with this particular remote. Looking at the picture for the remote you posted, it looks very similar to yet another remote I have and that one works out of the box on XP. I haven't tried programming my Harmony to use it because my first one works now but I don't doubt that it will work.

Regard.

#563 ·
With respect to "Wake on USB"....

I've been playing around trying to get this to even work with the attached keyboard and mouse without success. There is a BIOS setting that is enabled by default indicating that there should be the ability to "Wake on USB" but can't figure out how to get it to work within XP. I've followed a number of threads on the internet without success.

So I sent a support request to Acer to ask them how to get this to work and this is what I got back this wonderful response:

Quote:
Having reviewed your email, I understand that you need to know how to get the device to wake from USB when in standby mode.

David, since this issue involves high level technicalities we fall short of resources with which we could better diagnose and resolve it for you. However Acer technicians are bound to support its customers with the removal or installation of any hardware or software shipped across with Acer machines. But they are not trained on all the advanced features of the software or hardware Acer sells.

Because this calls up on a higher level of expertise the advance troubleshooting, we only have support over the phone on these issues and it is chargeable. You may avail this support on 1.800-237-6483 at a rate of $2.95 per minute with the slots 30 minutes ($59.99), 90 minutes ($129.99), or 15 issues ($199.99) and the validity will be 1 year which can be billed to a credit card.

I've sent back a response but needless to say I'm not going to pay for support on something that probably doesn't even work.

I'm also less concerned about putting the device into standby and such because it doesn't really consume that much power (my Plasma TV takes care of that).

David

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach /forum/post/17629621

Are you sure this unit won't work with the Harmony? The initial unit I bought I thought at first didn't work with the Harmony but I eventually figured out that it does: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

What I had to do in the Harmony configuration tool was:

1) Add a generic keyboard (not a MCE keyboard instead it comes up as "AAA Generic Keyboard")

2) Learn the appropriate keys from this remote via the Harmony remote. This was initially my problem because I thought the Harmony couldn't receive from this remote. I took the back cover off of the Harmony and played around with the position of the two remotes until it could receive the signals. Then I trained the Harmony for all of the keys I needed.

3) Setup a generic activity with my TV, AV Receiver, and Acer Revo unit called XBMC.

4) Customized the buttons for this activity so that the volume controls would go to the AV Receiver and the XBMC controls would go to the generic remote receiver attached to the revo.

Now I can use my Harmony to manipulate XBMC. Note that I did NOT have to load any special MCE drivers with this particular remote. Looking at the picture for the remote you posted, it looks very similar to yet another remote I have and that one works out of the box on XP. I haven't tried programming my Harmony to use it because my first one works now but I don't doubt that it will work.

Regard.

Thanks David.... I will try again. I can get the harmony to learn codes from their remote but the IR receiver does not seem to accept the learned codes from the harmony (no flashing light) where I get flashing lights using the original remote...

Sean

#565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach /forum/post/17629671

With respect to "Wake on USB"....

I've been playing around trying to get this to even work with the attached keyboard and mouse without success. There is a BIOS setting that is enabled by default indicating that there should be the ability to "Wake on USB" but can't figure out how to get it to work within XP. I've followed a number of threads on the internet without success.

So I sent a support request to Acer to ask them how to get this to work and this is what I got back this wonderful response:

I've sent back a response but needless to say I'm not going to pay for support on something that probably doesn't even work.

I'm also less concerned about putting the device into standby and such because it doesn't really consume that much power (my Plasma TV takes care of that).

David

thats just ridiculous. The one I ordered will promptly be returned to newegg if wake on usb does not work....

EDIT: I already have one Zotac ION where this does not work and its just silly... its the only component in my AV rack that I have manually power on....

Sean

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/17629718

thats just ridiculous. The one I ordered will promptly be returned to newegg if wake on usb does not work....

EDIT: I already have one Zotac ION where this does not work and its just silly... its the only component in my AV rack that I have manually power on....

Sean

Hmmm... maybe this is just an issue with ION in general since they all seem to use a similar board design...

#567 ·
I'm pretty sure that I've read that wake-on-USB works with XBMC Live/Linux, which would indicate to me that the hardware is capable. It's just a matter of figuring out if/how it can be done under XP.

Regarding your remote...that seems odd to me. The remote you linked to is advertised as an MCE remote. If that's accurate, I would think that you should be able to assign your Harmony as an MCE remote (or however it would be referred). If that works, then you should also be able to assign it as an MCE Keyboard (which is what I'm doing). But I guess that assumes that the IR receiver is compatible with the HP USB IR MCE receiver, and perhaps it's not.

FWIW, Dan was kind enough to send me an extra USB IR receiver he had (you can see the auction link here ). It's silver like my HP USB IR receiver, but it's smaller and the USB cable is removable. But it worked fine with the drivers I linked to in my original post and immediately recognized my Logitech Harmony remote (which is acting like an MCE Keyboard). BTW, when using the drivers I link to, I believe you need to select the keyboard driver, then Windows will tell you that it also needs the irbus.sys file, which you can also navigate to.

#568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly /forum/post/17629967

I'm pretty sure that I've read that wake-on-USB works with XBMC Live/Linux, which would indicate to me that the hardware is capable. It's just a matter of figuring out if/how it can be done under XP.

Yeah... I figured that much as well. I've been digging through threads and "help" forums for XP trying to figure out how to link the two. I found one item that suggested going into the device manager for the USB root hub and setting the power management item for waking on USB but that item is greyed out and I can't figure out how to make it available.

Quote:
Regarding your remote...that seems odd to me. The remote you linked to is advertised as an MCE remote. If that's accurate, I would think that you should be able to assign your Harmony as an MCE remote (or however it would be referred). If that works, then you should also be able to assign it as an MCE Keyboard (which is what I'm doing). But I guess that assumes that the IR receiver is compatible with the HP USB IR MCE receiver, and perhaps it's not.

I know it says that but in reality, the different buttons actually just send keycodes to the OS. The remote also duel enumerates as a keyboard device and a mouse device but I ignored setting up mouse functions on my harmony (doesn't have enough buttons to make sense). So I just setup some of the key keyboard commands; play, pause, stop, left, right, up, down, FF, reverse, next, previous, ESC, exit, enter.

Quote:
FWIW, Dan was kind enough to send me an extra USB IR receiver he had (you can see the auction link here ). It's silver like my HP USB IR receiver, but it's smaller and the USB cable is removable. But it worked fine with the drivers I linked to in my original post and immediately recognized my Logitech Harmony remote (which is acting like an MCE Keyboard). BTW, when using the drivers I link to, I believe you need to select the keyboard driver, then Windows will tell you that it also needs the irbus.sys file, which you can also navigate to.

The way I've been testing these receivers is to plug them into my XP machine to see if they work controlling XP out of the box. The only one that hasn't is the Roswell one which XP doesn't recognize when I plug it in.

#569 ·
The Zotax rev0 boards have a hardware bug that prevents wake on usb from working. This is fixed in rev1. This has nothing to do with the OS. Its a function of the BIOS and the motherboard design...

as to the remote. I beleive that although it sends the proper codes over USB its not using normal IR band codes as the harmony cannot trigger any flashing lights on the receiver. my friend had the same issues and replaced with another USB receiver which cost $50 and everything works bettwer. I ordered one of the ones David mentioned and will try that this weekend....

can anyone verify Wake on USB works so I can cancel the order with newegg before it ships if it does not....

Sean

#570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/17629705

Thanks David.... I will try again. I can get the harmony to learn codes from their remote but the IR receiver does not seem to accept the learned codes from the harmony (no flashing light) where I get flashing lights using the original remote...

Sean

I just setup a test with mine and it works (flashing light). Make sure that the activity you setup that you go into the "Customize Buttons" and set the buttons to reflect the new device you added... this was my initial mistake in thinking my Harmony wasn't working.

This is what I'm testing which looks similar to yours: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

#571 ·
Wake on USB works. I remember setting it up so that keyboard/mouse activity wakes it up in XP. I did it some time ago and forgot the steps. I remember I had to change some setting in BIOS and also in XP. I will try to find it out.

Wake on USB also works in XBMC Live which I am currently using. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/17630099

can anyone verify Wake on USB works so I can cancel the order with newegg before it ships if it does not....

Sean

Edit: My memory looks fickle. I do not think I had to do anything for keyboard/mouse to wakeup the Revo as this should be the default behavior in XP ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858 ). I never tried remote to wakeup the revo in XP.

#572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by a931048 /forum/post/17630302

Wake on USB works. I remember setting it up so that keyboard/mouse activity wakes it up in XP. I did it some time ago and forgot the steps. I remember I had to change some setting in BIOS and also in XP. I will try to find it out.

Wake on USB also works in XBMC Live which I am currently using. I love it.

well we would love to know what steps you had to go through to get this to work......

#573 ·
I have updated my post with the following "My memory looks fickle. I do not think I had to do anything for keyboard/mouse to wakeup the Revo as this should be the default behavior in XP ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858 ). I never tried remote to wakeup the revo in XP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach /forum/post/17630390

well we would love to know what steps you had to go through to get this to work......

#574 ·
Well, I can't even get the keyboard or mouse to wake it up with XP. This is not a deal-killer for me, though. I could be content either leaving it on all the time, or keeping it in hibernate mode when not using it and manually powering it on when needed. Still, being able to hibernate/wake it via USB sure would be swell.

#576 ·
OK, I did a little Googling and got wake on USB working! Well, it wakes it from a Standby state, but not a Hibernated state. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the default BIOS and Windows settings are OK as-is. Here's what you'll need to do:

1) Run regedit.

2) Create a new key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\ named "usb" (sans quotes)

3) Under that, create the following two variables, both of type DWORD (the default values of all zeroes is what you want):

- USBBIOSHACKS

- USBBIOSx

4) Reboot.

Be warned: When in Standy mode, the Acer's power light blinks. If you've got this in your bedroom, this can be annoying for "sensitive" sleepers (like my wife). I believe there's a BIOS update which allows you to turn off all lights (all the time), or you could put a sticker or some tape over the power button/light.

#577 ·
Has anyone here tried Tiben20's DSPlayer with HW acceleration yet, instead of using an external player?

According to the posts at xbmc.org its working very well with XBMC for Windows and XP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.