AVS Forum banner

Cih subtitle master thread

68K views 353 replies 58 participants last post by  jake51 
#1 ·
If you have a link or just want to list a title, put it in this thread. I will be moving everything to this first page on a regular basis.

This list is only for ENGLISH language subs. (Star Wars-type alien translations, foreign films with English subs or English language films with English subs for certain scenes where another language is spoken.) This list WILL NOT cover SDH subs or subs in a foreign language for an English language release, although I think another thread is a great idea to cover those titles.

****DISCLAIMER****

Some STANDARD DVD titles on this list may only be CIH safe if using certain Dvd players. Some titles listed as safe may in fact not be "safe" with certain players and settings. This was brought up by a concerned member. Someone step in and PM me if you know otherwise, but I believe that BD titles are going to be the same regardless of player as this is an authoring issue and players are not capable of relocating subs.

[EDIT]Please note: Most Blu-ray Players will shift the Bit Map subtitle on DVD up by approx 10% giving the illusion that the STs are actually in the picture. This is why Star Wars has been moved to STs out of the picture.

SUBTITLES IN PICTURE

400 Blows BD

10,000 BC BD

A Mighty Heart BD

Assembly (Hong Kong import) BD

Australia BD (REGION B)

Basic Instict BD

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD ***UK VERSION ONLY!!!

Body of Lies BD

Boondock Saints BD

Bourne Supremacy BD

Bourne Ultimatum BD

Bourne Identity BD

Clear and Present Danger BD

Contact DVD

Dark Water BD

Day the Earth Stood Still, The (2008) BD

Death Race BD

The Decent BD

Dejavu BD

Die Another Day BD

Die Hard II BD

Die Hard with a Vengeance BD

Domino BD

Drag Me Into Hell BD [A]

Eight Below BD

End of Days HD-DVD

Fearless HD-DVD & BD

First Blood BD

Flightplan BD

Four Brothers BD

Galaxy Quest BD [A]

Gammorah (UK Release) BD

G.I. Joe [Blu-ray, region A]

The Golden Compass [BD, Region A]

Goonies [region B] BD

Heyy Babyy (Eros) BD

Hitman BD

Hunt for Red October BD

The Incredibles DVD

Independence Day BD

The Incredible Hulk (2008) BD

Inglourious Basterds BD

Iron Man BD

Italian Job BD

JCVD (UK import) BD

Kill Bill Vol 1 BD ** 2 lines of dialog drop into lower bar, but it is not missed

Kill Bill Vol 2 BD

King Kong HD-DVD

The Kingdom DVD

Kung Fu Panda BD

La Vie en Rose BD (adjustable subtitles)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen D-Theater

Let the Right One In BD

Live Free or Die Hard BD

Lives of Others BD

Love Actually BD

Max Payne BD

Miami Vice BD

Miracle at St. Anna BD

Mission Impossible BD

Mission Impossible 2 BD

Mission Impossible 3 BD

Mr. & Mrs. Smith BD

Mummy BD

Mummy Returns BD

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor BD

Om Shanti Om (Eros) BD

The Orphanage BD

Passion of the Christ BD, DVD, D-Theater

Patriot Games BD

Pierrot le Fou BD

Pineapple Express (Apple TV)

Quantum of Solace BD

Rambo (2008) BD

The Rock (UK Import) BD

Ronin BD

Shooter BD

Sivaji

Slumdog Millionaire BD (REGION B)

Speedracer BD

Spiderman 3 BD

Stargate BD

Starman BD [A]

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection BD

Sum of all Fears BD

Sunshine BD

Synecdoche, New York BD

Taegukgi (Korean import) BD

Team American DVD

Three Days of the Condor BD

Transformers BD

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen [both Scope and "Big Screen Editions"]

Transiberian BD

Transporter 3 BD

Tropic Thunder BD [A]

True Lies DVD

Truth About Charlie HDNET

U-571 BD

Volver BD

Wall E BD

War BD

We Were Soldiers BD

World is not Enough BD

SUBTITLES NOT IN PICTURE

30 Days Of Night BD

36 Quai des Orfèvres (Department 36) - French import

Angles And Demons BD half in half out of the active picture

Assembly UK VERSION BD **HK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD **UK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Blood: The Last Vampire BD

CJ7 BD

Curse of the Golden Flower BD

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dances with Wolves Blu-Ray (German Import, Region B, Kinowelt) Half in half out of the active picture.

Day Watch BD

Dragon Wars BD

district b13 BD & DVD

Flash Point (HK Import) BD

Four Flies on Grey Velvet SD DVD

Godzilla BD [A]

Gran Torino BD

Hancock BD - The subs are absolutely not important. It is a very short scene at the beginning.

The Hidden Fortress Criterion Collection DVD

House of Flying Daggers BD

The International BD

Jean De Florette/Manon des Sources DVD

Jodhaa Akbar

Kung Fu Hustle BD

La Femme Nikita BD

Letters from Iwo Jima BD

Mad Detective (UK Release) BD

Max Manus: Man of War (UK Import)

MR73 (French Import) BD

The Myth BD

Oceans 13 BD

Oldboy BD

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (French import) BD

Patton BD

Pineapple Express BD

The Professionals BD

Redcliff (HK VERS) BD

Revolver BD

Rock N Roller (REGION B) BD

Saawariya BD

Seven Pounds BD

Star Wars: A New Hope SE DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi SE DVD

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace DVD

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones DVD

Star Wars: A New Hope - original version DVD

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - original version DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - original version DVD

Tell No One (FORMAT NOT SPECIFIED)

Vantage Point BD

Warriors of Heaven BD

Youth Without Youth BD

See less See more
#228 ·
Oppo has made me a customer for life. What a great company.

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/17700045

I think this thread will still be useful for knowing whether or not you will need to move the subtitles.

Also helpful for people who don't have an OPPO.

What frustrates me are movies primarily in English with a couple of subtitled scenes. I might not know they're coming until the scene comes on and I have no idea what anyone is saying.

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17700438

Also helpful for people who don't have an OPPO.

What frustrates me are movies primarily in English with a couple of subtitled scenes. I might not know they're coming until the scene comes on and I have no idea what anyone is saying.

That happened to me last night when watching "Eagles over London". A couple of lines were in German and I don't know if they had subtitles or not. I still don't know what they said.

BTW, why does Severin even release Blu Ray's? Their releases are a disgrace to the format. I seriously doubt that the DVD looks any worse than what was on my screen last night.

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilomms /forum/post/17699249

If you go directly on site you cannot find that firmware, you need to use that link posted above.

I would not recommend this firmware. There are some known bugs (some minor, some major) which will make this firmware not ideal for many users.

You should only use this firmware if you absolutely need to take advantage of European and Asian release of Terminator Salvation.

This firmware was NOT designed for testing CIH.

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/17701422

I would not recommend this firmware. There are some known bugs (some minor, some major) which will make this firmware not ideal for many users.

Can you expound on what the major and minor bugs are?

#234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/17701422

You should only use this firmware if you absolutely need to take advantage of European and Asian release of Terminator Salvation.

This firmware was NOT designed for testing CIH.

Geeeze. I was planning on loading it this weekend

#235 ·
Ok can someone please explain the difference bwteen the US, the AU, the EU versions on Terminator Salvation?

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17586703

I haven't watched Gomorrah specifically, but all of the Criterion Blu-rays I've watched so far have been CIH friendly. I just watched Pierrot le Fou last night, and subtitles were inside the 2.35:1 picture.

Are Subtitles, written translations, and closed captions all being handled the same way on the Oppo? I use closed caption a lot when I have a hard time understanding the dialogue. I also would like written translations of foreign language dialogue to be completely visible. Are these both considered subtitles?

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/17704968

Ok can someone please explain the difference bwteen the US, the AU, the EU versions on Terminator Salvation?

The movie was released in the US by Warner Bros. However, it's a Sony title overseas. Different studios means different disc authoring.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee /forum/post/17710149

Are Subtitles, written translations, and closed captions all being handled the same way on the Oppo? I use closed caption a lot when I have a hard time understanding the dialogue. I also would like written translations of foreign language dialogue to be completely visible. Are these both considered subtitles?

"SDH" captions are just another sutitle track on the disc, and should be handled the same. However, if you literally mean the Closed Caption option, with white text in a black box, that's something that your TV reads off the blanking interval in the video signal. It's not something that your disc player has control over.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17717435

The movie was released in the US by Warner Bros. However, it's a Sony title overseas. Different studios means different disc authoring.

Cool. So it looks like this SONY title is CIH safe.

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee /forum/post/17722084

Thanks cranky member.

It's my understanding that Samsung BR players keep subtitles on the screen in the anamorphic 2:35 mode.

These players shift the bit mapped STs on a DVD up by about 10%. They will not shift STs on a BD. Therefore films like the STAR WARS saga and the LOTR trilogy will now have the STs in the picture on DVD.

#242 ·
Hey Mark, First, thanks again for handling this thread for me. I hope I can pick back up with it really soon.

I have a question for you regarding the Star Wars and LOTR films on DVD. I discussed this earlier in this thread but with my system (currently an Escient DVDM100 and 3 Sony ES 400 disc changers), the Star Wars films all show the subs IN the picture area. I haven't tried LOTR since I switched projectors so I can't comment on that. Why are the subs CIH safe on some players but not others? Any ideas? Take care.

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 /forum/post/17765124

Hey Mark, First, thanks again for handling this thread for me. I hope I can pick back up with it really soon.

I have a question for you regarding the Star Wars and LOTR films on DVD. I discussed this earlier in this thread but with my system (currently an Escient DVDM100 and 3 Sony ES 400 disc changers), the Star Wars films all show the subs IN the picture area. I haven't tried LOTR since I switched projectors so I can't comment on that. Why are the subs CIH safe on some players but not others? Any ideas? Take care.

Are these DVD or BD players? It seems Blu-ray players shift the STs up by about 10%. They also H-Squeeze 4 x 3 discs so that everything is compatible with 16:9 screens, which of course means CIH friendly as well.

I have old screen caps from Star Wars Ep 4 with Jabba where I used V-Stretch to shift the STs, then when I upgraded to BD found that the player moved these automatically. I wish it was the case for BD Sts as well. Sadly, this is not the case due to a "protected video stream" for BD. DVD generally uses a bitmap, so re-location is easy. Those titles with STs burned in will not move, however, these STs are already in the picture - IE "True Lies" and "The Jackel".

#245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen /forum/post/17766679

How about the new Star Trek? Planning to watch that tomorrow night. Don't see it listed in the first post and search returned nothing. TIA

I am pretty sure it is CIH freindly. I need to watch it again when Santa
brings me a copy in about 3 days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.