AVS Forum banner

Core i7, i5 & i3 LGA1156 Processors Thread: Clarkdale Supports HD Audio Bitstreaming!

571K views 4K replies 317 participants last post by  salacious 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is collect information on Core i7, i5 and i3 processors (Lynnfield and Clarkdale).

Table of Contents
  • Nehalem Microarchitecture
  • System Architectures for the Nehalem Processors
  • List of LGA 1156 Processors
    • Branding Scheme
  • Intel 5 Series Chipsets (Ibex Peak)
  • Core i7 and i5 Processor (Lynnfield)
  • P55 Chipset Motherboards
  • Core i5 and i3 Processor (Clarkdale)
  • Integrated Graphics (Ironlake)
    • The new Intel Clear Video HD technology
    • HD Audio Bitstreaming
  • H55/H57 Chipset Motherboards
  • Intel Processor Roadmap
  • Sandy Bridge: The Next Bang!
  • Reviews
Clarkdale Processor:

Nehalem Microarchitecture

Nehalem Microarchitecture is an Intel processor microarchitecture that succeeded Core Microarchitecture and was released in November 2008. It is based on Core Microarchitecture with several new technologies:
  • A new processor bus, called Intel QuickPath interconnect, that features point-to-point serial bus topology, similar to PCI Express and HyperTransport (AMD adopted it in 2003).
  • IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) supporting up to triple channel DDR3.
  • Performance improvement by adding new functions such as
    • SMT (Simultaneous Multi-Threading), the revival of HyperThreading Technology in Pentium 4
    • New 3-level cache hierarchy, L2, L2 (new 256KB/core), L3 (8MB fully-shared)
    • New 2-level TLB (Translation Lookaside Buffer) hierarchy
    • L2 branch predictor

The desktop versions of the Nehalem processor are (in chronological order):
  • Bloomfield: Core i7 processors released on November 17, 2008. 4 cores/8 threads, LGA 1366, 45 nm.
  • Lynnfield: Core i7 and i5 processors released on September 8, 2009. 4 cores/(up to) 8 threads, LGA 1156, 45 nm.
  • Clarkdale: Core i5 and i3 processors to be released in January 2010. 2 cores/(up to) 4 threads, integrated graphics core, LGA 1156, 32 nm.
  • Gulftown: Core i9 processors expected in Q2 2010. 6 cores/12 threads, LGA 1366, 32 nm.

(The 32 nm version of Nehalem is dubbed Westmere.) Then Sandy Bridge Microarchitecture will succeed in 2011.

Most people in this forum will be concerned with Clarkdale (mainstream) and Lynnfield (high-end). Bloomfield will be limited to extreme high-end (>=$500), as well as Gulftown ($1000?).

System Architectures for the Nehalem Processors

Core i7 (Bloomfield) system architecture is very similar to the AMD platform: memory controller is integrated in CPU; CPU and IOH (I/O Hub) are connected by QuickPath InterConnect (similar to HyperTransport); IOH and ICH (I/O Controller Hub) are connected by DMI (Direct Media Interface) (~PCI Express x4 just like AMD's A-Link Xpress II).

In Core i7 and i5 (Lynnfield), PCI Express controller is integrated in CPU; CPU and PCH (Platform Controller Hub) are connected by DMI. In Core i5 & i3 (Clarkdale) further includes graphics core and video streams are transported to Display Interface Controller in PCH via FDI (Flexible Display Interface).

More details on Clarkdale:

And Sandy Bridge that supports SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 (Update: postponed until 2012):

Sandy Bridge will be the mainstream Intel processor in 2011. So Clarkdale will be short-lived. Check Intel Processor Roadmap .

List of LGA 1156 Processors

Lynnfield processors (4-core, no IGP, 45 nm; to be released on September 8)

- Core i7 870 (8 Threads/2.93GHz/TB 3.60GHz/L3 8MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/95W) $562

- Core i7 860 (8 Threads/2.80GHz/TB 3.46GHz/L3 8MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/95W) $284 ✓

- Core i5 750 (4 Threads/2.66GHz/TB 3.20GHz/L3 8MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/95W) $196 ✓

- Core i7 860S (8 Threads/2.53GHz/TB 3.46GHz/L3 8MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/82W) $337

- Core i5 750S (4 Threads/2.40GHz/TB 3.20GHz/L3 8MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/82W) $259

Clarkdale processors (2-core, IGP, 32 nm; to be released in January 2010 at CES 2010)

- Core i5 670 (4 Threads/3.46GHz/TB 3.73GHz/GPU 733MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/73W) $284

- Core i5 661 (4 Threads/3.33GHz/TB 3.60GHz/GPU 900MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/87W) $196 ✓

- Core i5 660 (4 Threads/3.33GHz/TB 3.60GHz/GPU 733MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/73W) $196

- Core i5 650 (4 Threads/3.20GHz/TB 3.46GHz/GPU 733MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch/73W) $176

- Core i3 540 (4 Threads/3.06GHz/TB -/GPU 733MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch DDR3/73W) $133

- Core i3 530 (4 Threads/2.93GHz/TB -/GPU 733MHz/L3 4MB/DDR3-1333 2ch DDR3/73W) $113 ✓

- Pentium G6950 (2 Threads/2.80GHz/TB -/GPU 533MHz/L3 3MB/DDR3-1066 2ch/73W) $87

References Branding Scheme

The most important features that distinguish between i7, i5 and i3 are:
  • Number of threads (instead of the number of cores)
  • Turbo Boost Technology

Roughly speaking,
  • Core i7 = 8 threads, Turbo Boost (4 cores [Lynnfield])
  • Core i5 = 4 threads, Turbo Boost (4 cores [Lynnfield] or 2 cores [Clarkdale])
  • Core i3 = 4 threads, no Turbo Boost (2 cores [Clarkdale])

Intel 5 Series Chipsets (Ibex Peak)

According to this source , Braidwood will not be supported by the 5 Series chipsets, hence P57 was canceled.

Core i7 and i5 Processor (Lynnfield)

Here are two charts from AnandTech that perhaps HTPC users are most interested in.

x264 HD Benchmark Ver. 2.0

Power Consumption at Idle and x264 HD Benchmark

P55 Chipset Motherboards

P55 chipset motherboards come in three flavors:
  • Non-SLI: The PCI Express 2.0 x16 link does not split.
  • SLI x8: The PCI Express 2.0 link splits into two x8 links, SLI-certified by NVIDIA.
  • SLI x16: The nForce 200 chip is equipped for 2-way SLI: x16, x16 and 3-way SLI: x16, x8, x8.

Basically price (and the number of other features) increases in this order. CrossFireX is supported in every P55 motherboard in every possible way: x16, x4 / x8, x8 / x8, x8, x4 etc.

The PCI Express 2.0 x16 link is directly connected to the processor. Moreover the P55 chipset has 8 PCI Express 2.0 (but of the same bandwidth as 1.x) lanes. Typically these 8 lanes are used in the following way:
  • PCI Express x1 expansion slot
  • PCI Express x1 expansion slot
  • PCI Express x4 expansion slot
  • SATA/eSATA/PATA PCI Express controller (such as JMB363)
  • Gb LAN PCI Express controller

Here are a couple of recommended P55 motherboards.

Low-End (non-SLI)
  • ASRock P55 Pro, $115: (Perhaps) the best non-SLI motherboard.
  • Foxconn P55A-S, $105: A basic mb (without IEEE 1394).
  • ASUS P7P55D, $150: A basic mb (with IEEE 1394).
Mainstream (SLI x8)
  • ASRock P55 Deluxe, $175: DTS Connect is supported (good for S/PDIF gamers) and a 2-port (e)SATA 6Gbps PCI Express controller card is bundled. ASRock P55 Extreme, $150, a stripped down version of Deluxe, is also good.
  • ASUS P7P55D EVO, $185: IMO the best mb in this class. There are two minor variants: ASUS P7P55D PRO, $170: a stripped down version of EVO; ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, $220: comes with a real-time overclocking controller (useful?) and features 16+3 phase VRM design.
  • Intel DP55KG (BOXDP55KG), $210: Designed by talented Intel engineers. As usual there is no legacy port. Dolby Home Theater is supported (good for S/PDIF gamers). A stripped down version, DP55WG (BOXDP55WG), $140, is also good (no third-party storage controller, no Dolby Home Theater, no heatsink on MOSFET).
High-End (SLI x16)
  • EVGA P55 FTW 200 141-LF-E658-KR: For serious gamers.
  • ASUS P7P55 WS SuperComputer, $250: For SLI graphics work and CUDA users.

For complete systems, check my Recommended Systems – September 2009 Edition .

Core i5 and i3 Processor (Clarkdale)

From AnandTech (Please read this review for comprehensive understanding of the processor):

Integrated Graphics (Ironlake)

The new Intel Clear Video HD technology (from HKEPC Hardware )

HD Audio Bitstreaming (from AnandTech )

Quote:
They've increased the number of receivers they test with (originally it was at a whopping two, now they're up to…7). They've also expanded their test scenarios as well. The combination of the two, Intel believes, will result in a fully functional set of HTPC features at launch.

The first time I went by Intel's Clarkdale demo, Intel couldn't get bitstreaming working. A day later I got an email telling me to drop by again - they fixed it. I got to see TrueHD bitstreaming from a Clarkdale system to a Sony receiver. I also confirmed that full two stream decode acceleration was working.

Intel had it working with ArcSoft's player, but is working with all of the major software vendors to hopefully enable full support on everything. Intel does seem to be taking this much more seriously than with G45.

The Clarkdale launch is still a couple of months away so there is definitely time for Intel to work out the kinks.

This is a serious feature. The fact is that in a couple of years every single PC shipped will have the ability to bitstream these audio codecs without any additional hardware. We're finally getting there folks.
H55/H57 Chipset Motherboards

Intel DH57JG (Jet Geyser) Intel H57 Chipset Mini-ITX Motherboard

ASUS P7H57D-V EVO Intel H57 Chipset ATX Motherboard

Intel Processor Roadmap
  • Extreme XE: ~$1000
  • Performance P1: ~$500
  • Mainstream MS3: ~$284
  • Mainstream MS2: ~$196
  • Mainstream MS1: ~$176
  • Essential E2: ~$133
  • Essential E1: ~$113
  • Value V3: ~$84
  • Value V2: ~$64
  • Value V1: ~$53

Here is a figure on the transition of Intel desktop CPU sockets through 2011 (presented by Intel in February 2009).

By the end of 2010, Lynnfield/Clarkdale (LGA 1156) occupies near 50% of all desktop processors and the rest are the Core 2 processor. Then Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155) quickly takes a place of them in 2011, occupying 70% of all desktop processors by the end of 2011.

Sandy Bridge: The Next Bang!

The next generation microarchitecture Sandy Bridge will be released in 2011. There will be two platforms, each of which succeeds Lynnfield and Bloomfield respectively. The basic system architecture is close to Lynnfield/Clarkdale (not to the current Bloomfield).

Sandy Bridge H2
  • The new socket LGA 1155
  • 2 cores (65W) or 4 cores (95W)
  • With or without GPU core
  • Dual channel DDR3-1333 memory controller
  • PCI Express 2.0 20 lanes (Xeon only) or 16 lanes; x16 or x8+x8
  • DMI(Direct Media Interconnect) Gen.2 x4 (4GB/sec)

Chipset Cougar Point:
  • SATA 6Gbps x 2 and 3Gbps x 4
  • USB 3.0 will be postponed until Ivy Bridge in 2012.

Sandy Bridge B2
  • The new socket LGA 136x
  • 6 cores or 8 cores
  • No GPU core
  • Triple channel DDR3-1600 memory controller
  • PCI Express 3.0 24 lanes; x16+x8 or x8+x8+x8
  • DMI(Direct Media Interconnect) Gen.2 x4 (4GB/sec)

Chipset Patsburg:
  • SATA 6Gbps x 2 and 3Gbps x 4
  • USB 3.0 will be postponed until Ivy Bridge in 2012.

As for integrated graphics, Next Generation Intel Clear Video Technology will be introduced (as well as Graphics Turbo+ for mobile).

Reviews

LynnfieldClarkdaleIDF 2009

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronic24601 /forum/post/17737841

Question for anyone. Everytime I build a computer, and am getting a PSU, I never "really" know what Wattage I should buy, so I typically err on the side of caution.

With the new 32nm chipset, if I were to buy a mini-ITX board (H55, or H57), using just the IGP, and probably nothing else. Just a box to stream 1080p movies, and surf the web (hulu, youtube, etc...) ... what would be the target range of a power supply?

I'm looking to pick up a case, and they come with highly rangine PSU's (60W-300W mostly). Thanks in advance!

- Jason

I was running the DG45FC with 4GB, 7200RPM 2.5" drive, PCIe 1394 card, and an e8600 on a 100w DC-DC PicoPSU paired with an 80w AC-DC unit. When I stress tested it running 3D games with all the settings maxed I found I was getting slight low voltage conditions when I watched the Intel desktop utility.

I upgraded the AC-DC unit to a 102w unit and all is good.

So... that is a long way of saying I cannot image ever using more than 100w on one of those new 32nm units

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/17751020

There are often distributors who break release dates. Official isn't until Q1'10.

I recommend an i3 or higher for the best HD picture.

I know you cannot say much, but have you been able to play with the new chips and mobos?

If so, what is the minimum you would recommend for good BR playback? I assume BR playback is more demanding than playing a recorded TV show.

Just trying to find my options...wish money was no object, but it is...sigh...

#179 ·
I have been playing with a Clarkdale system for a couple of months now. While discussing specifics of what my findings are is strictly verboten until after press embargo is lifted, and I'm not told ANYTHING by Marketing themselves (which is probably a good idea, since they'd presumably like the freedom to change this stuff as close to the launch as possible), based on the details leaked by various internet sources (HKEPC, etc.) it appears that when these go to market, the Pentium series will be distinguished from the i3s in terms of how much HD processing is available, while the i5 and i3 will be similar from the HD standpoint.

I can't lend credence to these sources (they could be very credible forgeries) but for HTPC purposes I would strongly suggest looking at the advertised featureset before making a purchase. If there's anything listed in the specs as "HD processing: Partial" or with an asterisk, I'd go one step up and get the model which contains all the goodies. I'm not trying to "upsell" you into an i3, as the lingo goes, I just know the HTPC audience wants all the bells and whistles available and feels betrayed if something gets left out.

Me, I'll be getting the highest clocked i5 Clarkdale available for the same reason I bought the "C" model of the Chrysler 300: you don't often need all eight cylinders of the Hemi, but you sure love them when necessity arises.

#180 ·
I am basically trying to decide between an i3 and i5, a H55 and H57.

The HTPC only acts as a BR/DVD player, Netflix player, and PVR. Occasionally I will stream live TV off the Internet, but that is rare.

I do rip the BRs on the HTPC, but I do it overnight, so time is not an issue there.

Thanks for the tips!

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/17754560

I am basically trying to decide between an i3 and i5, a H55 and H57.

The HTPC only acts as a BR/DVD player, Netflix player, and PVR. Occasionally I will stream live TV off the Internet, but that is rare.

I do rip the BRs on the HTPC, but I do it overnight, so time is not an issue there.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm planning on just getting an i3, I think it should be plenty for HTPC uses. Of coarse video encoding will be slower but not really my issue.

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/17753694

I have been playing with a Clarkdale system for a couple of months now. While discussing specifics of what my findings are is strictly verboten until after press embargo is lifted, and I'm not told ANYTHING by Marketing themselves (which is probably a good idea, since they'd presumably like the freedom to change this stuff as close to the launch as possible), based on the details leaked by various internet sources (HKEPC, etc.) it appears that when these go to market, the Pentium series will be distinguished from the i3s in terms of how much HD processing is available, while the i5 and i3 will be similar from the HD standpoint.

I can't lend credence to these sources (they could be very credible forgeries) but for HTPC purposes I would strongly suggest looking at the advertised featureset before making a purchase. If there's anything listed in the specs as "HD processing: Partial" or with an asterisk, I'd go one step up and get the model which contains all the goodies. I'm not trying to "upsell" you into an i3, as the lingo goes, I just know the HTPC audience wants all the bells and whistles available and feels betrayed if something gets left out.

Me, I'll be getting the highest clocked i5 Clarkdale available for the same reason I bought the "C" model of the Chrysler 300: you don't often need all eight cylinders of the Hemi, but you sure love them when necessity arises.

So it sounds like intel is going to be playing games with the pentium version? If intel is doing things to manipulate the market again I might just go amd. I don't appreciate buying from unethical companies.

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/17759962

So it sounds like intel is going to be playing games with the pentium version? If intel is doing things to manipulate the market again I might just go amd. I don't appreciate buying from unethical companies.

Product differentiation is market manipulation? Guess you can't buy from any company that sells more than one product.

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/17759962

If you view having different features for different brands at different price points "unethical", then I guess we're at a fundamental disagreement. I hope you find a CPU that fits your needs.

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb /forum/post/17760552

no hyperthreading on the desktop i5s?

the mobile versions have it though

Yes, HT on all Core i3/i5/i7 . It's Pentium that does not support HT. (But the performance of HT is poor in many applications.)

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha0ne /forum/post/17760074

Hahaha that should rule out you buying anything that has an Intel logo

The last intel computer I built was a pentium 4 if that gives you any idea. I was happy with regor/radeon 4200 chipset. I was just hoping core i3 would be super energy efficient.

everytime I update my computer I have added a new amd sticker to my case.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/17760345

If you view having different features for different brands at different price points "unethical", then I guess we're at a fundamental disagreement. I hope you find a CPU that fits your needs.

I consider intentionally disabling functions of the pentium version of the core

i3 to make sure that it wount handle htpc functions unethical, yes.

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/17760761

If you don't like they way a company decides prices and features in a product line, the solution is simple -- shop somewhere else.

You may not like it that you can't buy something with the features you want at the price you want, but that has nothing to do with right/wrong.

#193 ·

Quote:

"Won't handle HTPC functions", or won't provide all the HW decode or advanced deinterlacing of higher-priced (i3) versions? I'm struggling with your definitions, here.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/17761970

"Won't handle HTPC functions", or won't provide all the HW decode or advanced deinterlacing of higher-priced (i3) versions? I'm struggling with your definitions, here.

To him it is apparently unethical that the cheapest product in a separate lineup they produce doesn't have all of the capabilities of the higher end products. Pentiums aren't i3's, so there will be some missing features on the pentiums.

#195 ·
As long as the specs are correct then I'm really not bothered although sometimes finding accurate spec can be a science. An example is finding what CPUs support virtualization, you can find one only to discover a few months later that it was wrong and this in on Intels site! Luckily all Core i3/5/7 processors support virtualization (at the moment) and hopefully this wont change.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecidious /forum/post/17763043

To him it is apparently unethical that the cheapest product in a separate lineup they produce doesn't have all of the capabilities of the higher end products. Pentiums aren't i3's, so there will be some missing features on the pentiums.

It appears he may be saying that, but I don't want to assume. There may be some confusion about which processors have the full complement of HD capabilities and I'd hate for him to make a decision on which processor to buy (or to not buy) based on inaccurate data.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious /forum/post/17763685

As long as the specs are correct then I'm really not bothered although sometimes finding accurate spec can be a science. An example is finding what CPUs support virtualization, you can find one only to discover a few months later that it was wrong and this in on Intels site! Luckily all Core i3/5/7 processors support virtualization (at the moment) and hopefully this wont change.

Put it this way: if you can wait to make your purchase until the week after press embargo is lifted, I can certainly tell you which specs are accurate.

#198 ·

Quote:

Wow, that is a messed up definition. How would you like this instead?

What if only the fully featured product was available at the more premium price?

Is it unethical to give customers more choices and let them decide amongst several possible flavors of performance, features, and prices?

Is it also unethical that the cheapest Toyota Corolla doesn't come with all the luxury features and performance of a top of the line Lexus? Is it unethical that Toyota has multiple trim levels of Corollas with different price points for various features/options?

Just because you want a certain minimum level of performance/features is no reason to require everybody else to be upgraded to that same level. Different people have different needs and different budgets.

#199 ·
I think his concern is more akin to chrysler making 2 different 300s that have the same engine only they decide to put a governor on one so it can only go 45, then charging less for it. Doesn't seem that he is necessarily correct but seriously, lets quit ragging on the dude. This thread has seriously gotten derailed. Maybe we should focus more attention on sapping the insiders and experts for more info.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing /forum/post/17765842

I think his concern is more akin to chrysler making 2 different 300s that have the same engine only they decide to put a governor on one so it can only go 45, then charging less for it. Doesn't seem that he is necessarily correct but seriously, lets quit ragging on the dude. This thread has seriously gotten derailed. Maybe we should focus more attention on sapping the insiders and experts for more info.

Agreed. I don't care how Intel tiers their products as long as they work well for dealing with media playback, which is the thing I worry about. Hopefully Intel will get it right at launch this time. I'll be at CES this year and will probe them a bit on these points.

The last few times I talked to them they said it was up to folks like cyberlink to fully utilize hardware assist, and they couldn't ensure this would be done right on their own. If they were serious about this, they'd write the directshow filters for video acceleration and bitstreaming themselves, and public the specs so everyone could build to it, not just the idiots and cyberlink and others.

The day that Intel or ATI or Nvidia do this themselves will be the day I will know that they are serious about building products for this market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.