1M views 3K replies 539 participants last post by  inspiron_l6400 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I want open separate thread only about

+ open source firmware modifications

+ firmware compiling issues

+ unofficial firmware develepment talk

and all about unofficial firmware develepment

The Main thread is place where people talking cross over a lot of topics /upgrade issues/remuxing/etc...

this is the key reason why I want open this thread.

I hope this will help to people from WD/and another

open source firmware developers share own knowledge more efficient

If you need to know somethink about WDTV you should go to this thread New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player

BUGS reports for official firmware

you can post here.... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100499

NEW WDTV Developers WIKI

old location not updated from 28.march 2009 is here and currently is down

See less See more
#2,528 ·
Hi all,

I have upgraded wdtv to wdlxtv 5.8.1 including ssh,nfs,wireless apps . Its connected to belkin wireless adaptor and working fine.

Recently i have deleted "config" file from conf folder by mistaken. then picture was not coming so i have manually added some entries using config tool . Now wdtv is working fine.

But I have not rebooted the wdtv after that . Now I have question that will everything work fine after reboot or not ?

If not then can anyone provide basic config file options which is required after reboot of WDTV ?

Would really appriciate your help.

#2,529 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclerkmaxwell /forum/post/17674141

WD has released WDTV generation 2, is not the same WDTV LIVE. No, it's a new device with firmware 1.01.75 . So, forget new firmwares to our OBSOLETE WDTV generation 1.

Do you know this for sure? WD hasn't said this.

#2,530 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by esxadmin /forum/post/15956510

Hi,

this might be interesting for people from germany.

I got a Wintech LAU-15 usb lan adapter from Atelco working with ext3-boot release 0.8.5. It sells for 9,99 Euro so its rather cheap.

It is based on MosChip MCS7830 and works well.

I got aroung 14 MBit/s with copying a file from my Samba Share from a Linkstation Live.

The DivxHD sample from the Wiki played without problems.

Various 720P Movies played fine.

I'll try to get more performance figures.

Thanks for this really great firmware guys.

I was thinking about getting new external HDDs, but this isn't needed any more.

I have the same adapter and did some throughput test using 'cat' (PC→WDTV).

The result is as follows (Zorlander ext3-boot VERSION='1.02.07-ext3-boot-0.9.2').

CIFS: 12.5 Mbps
NFS (on Windows): 27 Mbps

It is possible to stream a 1080p mkv Movie (almost 10 Gigagbyte) over NFS. Not possible with CIFS.

CIFS (Windows)

NFS (Windows)

Enjoy

Teo

#2,534 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko570a /forum/post/17903019

I put the B-rad software in my wdtv. I can see my IP number but that's all. It keeps searching and does'nt give me my shared folders in my computer. What can I do?

Have you specified which SMB shares to mount in the net.mount file? If not, then the WDTV doesn't actually "automount" SMB shares (god, if it did that on my home network, I'd be swamped) but only those specified in the file.

#2,536 ·
I've been working and trying to make that da.. thing to work and I tried everything but nothing works.

I've tried with nfs, cifs, no results.

Though, my IP number is there and it is in my router too, that means it is well wired and recognised.

I tried with brad software and with ext3-boot.

I put nfs server and programmed it (exports file)..and it is running well.

I shared my folders. I already have a laptop with wireless and it works super and I also have a XBox 360 connected to that router and everything is all right and I have my folders on my main computer shared so the XBox can read them too, so that's why I don't understand why it does not work on the da.. WDTV.

If anyone can help, that would be a great deal.

#2,537 ·
Hi,

I have never been one to update firmware just because it is newer, but I was wondering which firmware for the WDTV seems to be the most stable and reliable for most people collectively.

Mine came with firmware version 1.01.02 and I haven't updated it because it hasn't caused me any problems.

Would another version improve anything and has it been trouble free?

Thanks,

John

#2,538 ·
Ko570a...I did the same and eventually added the samba.apps.bin file with my mount file to my usb drive and it worked as a cifs share. 1080p had some hiccups so I'm now trying to use the nfs shares...still some reading to do on that though. Don't know if you had done this but it worked for me. BB

#2,540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko570a /forum/post/17920652

I did specified the mount share, like this:

xmount //192.168.1.1/D:\\Claude\\My Documents\\Movies Movies cifs

Is this correct? The movies are in "Movies" in my documents in drive "D".

That's what I put in net.mounts and it did not work.

I guess it should be like this xmount //192.168.1.1/The_name_you_used_for_sharing_not_the_absolute_path Movies cifs

#2,543 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko570a /forum/post/17957312

xmount//192.168.1.1/Claude/My Documents/Movies Movies cifs

or

xmount//192.168.1.1/ My Documents/Movies Movies cifs

or

xmount//192.168.1.1/Movies Movies cifs

Which one? What's the right way to write it?

What's the name of your share? If it is called "Movies" on your network, then it's the third version. In other words, in this example:

xmount//192.168.1.1/Movies1 Movies2 cifs

means...

"I want to mount a share called Movies1 located on PC 192.168.1.1, it's a windows share and I want the WDTV to refer to it as Movies2"

I use Movies1 and Movies2 to make the example clearer - you can use the same name for both.

#2,544 ·
I just installed b-rad's wdlxtv. All I really wanted was the latest official firmware + hub support (for now, thinking of playing with networking at some point). Until this point I've been running 1.07, the last fw with hub support from WD.

My setup was 1 2TB drive plugged into USB-1 and a hub w/2 500gb passport drives plugged into USB2. Originally, When I clicked on USB1, I would get the contents of my 2TB drive and when I clicked on USB2, I would get 2 icons showing the 2 drives plugged into the hub (TV1 and TV2).

Now, after upgrading to WDLXTV I have some odd behavior. My USB1 shows 2 icons even though my hub is on USB2. It shows my 2TB drive plus one of the 500gb drives. My USB2 shows the other 500gb drive.

Hopefully this makes sense. Basically, I want the hub drives to show only on USB2. And since the USB1 port doesn't have a hub - to just show the big 2TB drive on that one.

Is this just the way hubs work now or is there some setting I can adjust to change the way this works?

thanks.

#2,545 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnmnt /forum/post/17966048

Is this just the way hubs work now or is there some setting I can adjust to change the way this works?

thanks.

That's just the way it is - each drive (well, technically each partition) will display individually. Unless you want to play around with "fuse" to logically aggregate multiple partitions into one (and, no, I don't know how to do it. Might be useful later though).

#2,546 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoculture /forum/post/17967514

That's just the way it is - each drive (well, technically each partition) will display individually. Unless you want to play around with "fuse" to logically aggregate multiple partitions into one (and, no, I don't know how to do it. Might be useful later though).

If each partition or drive was displayed individually that would be great. but instead i've got USB1 with 2 subdrives (when only one is attached) and USB2 with 1 sub drive (when 2 are attached).

#2,547 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnmnt /forum/post/17967873

If each partition or drive was displayed individually that would be great. but instead i've got USB1 with 2 subdrives (when only one is attached) and USB2 with 1 sub drive (when 2 are attached).

Sounds like you have the Library option turned off. I have mine turned on, and when I go through the "Folders" option on the main menu I see the partitions.

#2,548 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoculture /forum/post/17977143

Sounds like you have the Library option turned off. I have mine turned on, and when I go through the "Folders" option on the main menu I see the partitions.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'partitions'. I have 3 separate drives. Are these not simply 3 separate partitions? And of course I have the media library option turned off! It's utterly useless for those of us with large numbers of TV episodes. Each TV episode is given the same 'weight' as a movie. I guess I'll just have to get used to the seemingly random assignment of drives to USB ports.

It does seem like this could be addressed in an update as I don't really care how the WDTV sees the structure, as long as I have some control over how it's displayed to me.

#2,549 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech /forum/post/17952137

Hi,

I have never been one to update firmware just because it is newer, but I was wondering which firmware for the WDTV seems to be the most stable and reliable for most people collectively.

Mine came with firmware version 1.01.02 and I haven't updated it because it hasn't caused me any problems.

Would another version improve anything and has it been trouble free?

Thanks,

John

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

John

#2,550 ·
Lots of people (including me) held fast at 1.01.07 because that's the last official firmware that supported hubs. Subsequent firmwares have fixed various things - lots of subtitle help, some sync issues, gain issues...you can check the changelogs to see.

Basically, you should upgrade to the latest version - it's stable and there's no downside (unless you use hubs). If you do use a hub, you can get b-rad's wdlxtv which is based on the latest firmware but puts hubs back in - plus a bunch of other stuff.

plus - you can upgrade, see if you like it and downgrade if you don't. you just make a small text edit to the .ver file if you're downgrading.

#2,551 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnmnt /forum/post/17992759

Lots of people (including me) held fast at 1.01.07 because that's the last official firmware that supported hubs. Subsequent firmwares have fixed various things - lots of subtitle help, some sync issues, gain issues...you can check the changelogs to see.

Basically, you should upgrade to the latest version - it's stable and there's no downside (unless you use hubs). If you do use a hub, you can get b-rad's wdlxtv which is based on the latest firmware but puts hubs back in - plus a bunch of other stuff.

plus - you can upgrade, see if you like it and downgrade if you don't. you just make a small text edit to the .ver file if you're downgrading.

Thanks for that. Really appreciate it.

John

#2,552 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnmnt /forum/post/17992759

Don't shoot the questioner but...

what the hell's a hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.