AVS Forum banner
559K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  pclement 
#1 ·
As the Onkyo website has just started to "hint" about the Onkyo TX-SR707.

And a website over in Switzerland has a listing and price for the TX-SR707.

I thought it time to start up the "Official" TX-SR707 thread.

#1,579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex A /forum/post/17803806

That's it. Just make sure Audyssey Dynamic EQ is turned ON. See pages 82 and 86 in the manual.

It's on. I just wish I understood crossovers etc better than I do. I've no idea if any of them are set correctly by the mic's pickup. I'm running a Klipsch C-2, 2x Klipsch B-3s for the front left/right, and 4x Klipsch S1 for the rear surrounds (7.1 total) with a Klipsch Sub-12 as my subwoofer.

e.g. here's the link to my center channel:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...pecifications/

So how do I know what to set the ohms to and the crossover? It says in the receiver setup that I can pick 4 ohms or 6 ohms. But not 8 ohms which I believe my C-2 is!

All help greatly appreciated!

#1,580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/17803906

It's on. I just wish I understood crossovers etc better than I do. I've no idea if any of them are set correctly by the mic's pickup. I'm running a Klipsch C-2, 2x Klipsch B-3s for the front left/right, and 4x Klipsch S1 for the rear surrounds (7.1 total) with a Klipsch Sub-12 as my subwoofer.

e.g. here's the link to my center channel:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...pecifications/

So how do I know what to set the ohms to and the crossover? It says in the receiver setup that I can pick 4 ohms or 6 ohms. But not 8 ohms which I believe my C-2 is!

All help greatly appreciated!

can't really help you with the crossover freq, as I'm new to all of this too. Try checking out the Audyssey sticky, has a lot of details about that sort of thing.

As for ohms, you'll want to set the Onkyo to be 6ohm. This setting is actually "6 or more ohms", and allows for more power to go to your speakers. The details of this are stated somewhere earlier in this thread

#1,581 ·
I just got my 707. It seems to sound great. But its really hard to tell because everytime I change anything (even go into setup or change channels IE resolution change) it trips my emotiva xpa-3 and sends it into protection mode. I'm using the emotiva for the front three speakers. Everything else stays on. I didn't have any problems with my old Yamaha feeding it. Any ideas? Thanks!

#1,582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateg20 /forum/post/17804199

I just got my 707. It seems to sound great. But its really hard to tell because everytime I change anything (even go into setup or change channels IE resolution change) it trips my emotiva xpa-3 and sends it into protection mode. I'm using the emotiva for the front three speakers. Everything else stays on. I didn't have any problems with my old Yamaha feeding it. Any ideas? Thanks!

What type of interconnects are you using?

#1,583 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by embit /forum/post/17803987

can't really help you with the crossover freq, as I'm new to all of this too. Try checking out the Audyssey sticky, has a lot of details about that sort of thing.

As for ohms, you'll want to set the Onkyo to be 6ohm. This setting is actually "6 or more ohms", and allows for more power to go to your speakers. The details of this are stated somewhere earlier in this thread

Thanks again. I also run all my 5.1 movies, including TrueHD and DTS HD MA movies in Pro Logic IIx to matrix my rear surrounds. I assume there's no "better" sound mode than this to matrix the rears and leave the rest of the audio "untouched."

#1,586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateg20 /forum/post/17804407

Standard interconnects fixed the problem. Odd. Thanks for the great reply. Any interconnects you recommend using?

I'm running Energy Reference cables. 5m lengths.

All I had to work with at first was one Monster Cable paired interconnect and a single interconnect. For whatever reason the paired interconnect did not play nice with the amp.

Call me biased but this is one great sounding amp for the money.

#1,587 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/17804342

Thanks again. I also run all my 5.1 movies, including TrueHD and DTS HD MA movies in Pro Logic IIx to matrix my rear surrounds. I assume there's no "better" sound mode than this to matrix the rears and leave the rest of the audio "untouched."

I have 9.1 speakers connected, regular 7.1 plus front wides for Audyessy DSX.

After running Audyssey setup using this guide: (The Audyssey thread is 730 pgs if you really want to know more about it !)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5701

I use the 'THX Cinema' listening mode (pg 78 in manual) to matrix the SB speakers or 'Audyessy DSX' to engage the front wide speakers, which does not use the SB speakers.

For most TV and Bluray viewing I usually use the DSX listening mode which really enhances the front sound stage. The DSX feature is the main reason I upgraded from the 706.

#1,588 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts /forum/post/17804560

I have 9.1 speakers connected, regular 7.1 plus front wides for Audyessy DSX.

After running Audyssey setup using this guide: (The Audyssey thread is 730 pgs if you really want to know more about it !)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5701

I use the 'THX Cinema' listening mode (pg 78 in manual) to matrix the SB speakers or 'Audyessy DSX' to engage the front wide speakers, which does not use the SB speakers.

For most TV and Bluray viewing I usually use the DSX listening mode which really enhances the front sound stage. The DSX feature is the main reason I upgraded from the 706.

Thanks for the info. Do you use THX Cinema or THX Select2 Cinema?

#1,589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx /forum/post/17802085

Blaaahhh, just got a call from 6ave.com today to tell me the Onkyo 707 I ordered yesterday is not available at this time, and it should be 4-6 weeks before they get any. I dont really wanna wait, cause it only $30 more dollars on Amazon. Oh well...
Quote:
Dear ,

We are writing to inform you that the item you ordered is on order with the manufacturer. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause you.

Our current status shows that:

Order# xxxxxxxxx will ship within the next 21 days. You will receive an email confirmation when your order has shipped.

Sincerely,

Sixth Avenue Electronics

Customer Service

Ordered right before Christmas, glad i snagged one.

i returned the 607 that i bought for $340 and shelled out $130 more for he 707 as i figured his would be he most future proof purchase or me! bummer though because i have this full speaker set up in my new room, but now i gotta wait a few weeks.. oh well

#1,590 ·
So last night I got my Win XP SP3 PC running ITunes to pass audio via HDMI to the Onkyo, along with 1080P video. Looks and sounds great.

The issue now is that the Onkyo does not pass this audio to Zone2, since it is digital.

I have 2 questions:

1) The solution I plan to implement is to use Virtual Audio Cable to clone the ATI HDMI output to the Realtek analog Audio output. With both HDMI and RCA cables plugged into the PC and Onkyo, I should get the same audio in both Zone 1 and 2, just that Zone 1 will be digital and Zone 2 analog, correct? And there will be a slight delay in Zone 2 due to the cloning, which is fine. Is this a good solution, or is there a better solution to clone digital PC audio to an analog port?

2) Just to make sure I understand the DACs... For my signal that arrives via digital HDMI, the audio is being decoded on the Onkyo via the Burr-Brown codecs? In my limited test last night it sounded great. And the analog audio is being decoded on the PC, via whatever codec Itunes is using?

#1,591 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/17804800

Thanks for the info. Do you use THX Cinema or THX Select2 Cinema?

I meant 'THX S2 Cinema' for 5.1 sources.

I have a couple HD cable channels that are 2.0 and the Select2 mode is not an option. However, for a 2.0 source the 'THX Cinema' mode does matrix the SB speakers. When you press the Display button the OSD shows Output: 7.1.

If you have any extra/old bookshelf or satellite speakers you should experiment with front wide speakers and try the Audyessy DSX Wide listening modes. I'm very impressesed with this new sound field and use it more than the THX modes.

Here is Audyssey's web site : http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

You will also see on the website that the 707 is the only AVR in this moderate price range to offer this new DSX technology.

#1,592 ·
Since I'm working on a complete HT overhaul (been stagnant for about 4 years), I've been going through various components trying to catch back up with the times. I have to work on somewhat of a budget this time around, especially since it's nearly a replace of all components, so I'm trying to keep the receiver to the mid-range levels (around $500). I'm narrowing in on the 707 as the choice, and have been plowing through threads and anything I can find on ye olde innerwebs.

At the moment, the biggest concern I have centers around the heat. My current stand would only have about an inch, maybe a tad more of clearance on top, and less than that on the sides. I'm currently running a DA4ES (yeah I know everyone hates Sony) which has never gotten close to hot in that space no matter how hard I pushed it or for how long. From what I've read around, would I have to make a new stand, which is going to happen anyway, one of the earlier purchases before adding the 707?

Also, I haven't managed to find one yet, but is there a good list of any "known" handshake problems with specific devices?

#1,593 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo manual /forum/post/0

It is also recommended that you press the [VCR/DVR] and [RETURN] buttons on the AV receiver at the same

time. Select Skip in the VideoProcessor setting on the display.

How do you adjust the setting? I can get to the place to adjust it and I see

Video Processor: USE

I've been pressing all the arrow and - + buttons and it won't let me change the setting. I'm probably missing something really stupid.

#1,594 ·
This is my dilemma: I currently have a 10+ year old Dolby Pro Logic system comprising of Onkyo TX-SV515PROII, Infinity Crescendo CS3007 towers ((2) 8" woofers 4" midrange and emit-r tweeter), Infinity Sterling SS2001 bookshelf rears (5 1/4" woofers and polycarbonate tweeter), and an Infinity Sterling Center Channel ((2) 4 3/4" woofers and polycarbonate tweeter). The Crescendo's were just refoamed and the 2001's are to be refoamed next week.

My thought was to upgrade to full 5.1 and maybe pseudo 7.1 by upgrading my receiver to an Onkyo 707 (on order) and adding a set of Infinity Primus P162's (on order) for the side channels.

Now comes the second-guessing

With the big drop-off in power when going to driving 7 channels with this series of amps, should I ditch the idea of 7.1 and just go with a 5.1 speaker setup? If I do this, should I retire the 2001's and use the P162's, or just return the P162's?

Listening area...approx. 14' wide by 16' long.

Any help and/or suggestions would be most welcome

NCDaveD

#1,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeArSix /forum/post/17807211

How do you adjust the setting? I can get to the place to adjust it and I see

Video Processor: USE

I've been pressing all the arrow and - + buttons and it won't let me change the setting. I'm probably missing something really stupid.

While holding in the VCR button, press the Return button a second time and it will change from USE to SKIP. If you repeatedly press the Return button it will cycle between use and skip.

#1,596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts /forum/post/17807403

While holding in the VCR button, press the Return button a second time and it will change from USE to SKIP. If you repeatedly press the Return button it will cycle between use and skip.

got it. thanks a lot!

#1,597 ·
I just received my 707 from amazon today and was excited about getting it setup. I had bought the 607 but decided to upgrade to the 707 after reading this thread. I also bought a pair of polk monitor 60s to go with it. I have to say I am underwhelmed and think i may have something setup wrong. I ran the speakers bi-amped at first and it was just to quiet so I ran them regular and they sound a bit louder but not really. Is it normal not to hear any sound until around -48db.I am hoping i have something setup wrong. Thanks!

Justin

#1,598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldejavul /forum/post/17810989

I just received my 707 from amazon today and was excited about getting it setup. I had bought the 607 but decided to upgrade to the 707 after reading this thread. I also bought a pair of polk monitor 60s to go with it. I have to say I am underwhelmed and think i may have something setup wrong. I ran the speakers bi-amped at first and it was just to quiet so I ran them regular and they sound a bit louder but not really. Is it normal not to hear any sound until around -48db.I am hoping i have something setup wrong. Thanks!

Justin

I've never liked the whole "-" setup. I went into the setup and changed the volume to be "Absolute." I get quite a loud sound with all my speakers set to +-0db at around 40. It depends on the source, of course. I find I have to turn it up or down depending on the source. I recommend looking into the Intellivolume on the receiver, so you can normalize among your sources.

#1,600 ·
for those of you who have 50' speaker cable runs to your surrounds....I have had a spool of 14 gauge monster wire hanging around for a year....was going to go 12 gauge but I'm about tapped out on this little HT project. However, in my quest to do things right the first time, is it 14 or should I go knock over another quickie mart and buy 12???
By the way, I couldn't be happier with my 707....that was the right choice!

#1,602 ·
I would like to play music only in zone 2. I understand that zone 2 source material must be analog. My current music sources are appletv, cd via the blu ray dvd player, and cable tv. Each of these components is connected via hdmi but each also has analog outputs available. I believe these components will output analog and hdmi audio at the same time.

Can I plug the anaolgs into the same input selections that the hdmi uses on the onkyo and still get output on zone 2? Or should I set up the analogs as separate inputs for use on zone 2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.