AVS Forum banner

Panasonic PT-AE4000 MSRP $1999

1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  sivartk 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3,030 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell /forum/post/17864464

Is there a "best practices" or friendly user guide to use when first starting with this PJ? FAQ? Something a newb would understand?

1. Plug it in.

2. Turn it on.

3. Enjoy.

Honestly, aside from determining if there is anything wrong or severely out of alignment, these things are pretty kick-ass out of the box. Just a subtle reminder that the level of tweaking is WAY more exaggerated on a forum like this, than is necessary for the vast majority to enjoy the product.

#3,031 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin /forum/post/17865622

You may be correct. But I never heard of this before. I'm still kind of new to projectors. The recent professional review I read on the AE4000 recommended a lower gain screen for increased contrast however.

Technically speaking, yes a grey screen would just uniformly dim the picture. However the real question is, will it dim the light bleed so that it is below our perception and appear to increase contrast? Instrument measured contrast, and eye apparent contrast are two seperate things. So I really don't know.

To go on the safe side, I was going to go with the professional reviewers opinion.

All that I know is that a couple of the real "professionals" around here have told me IN PERSON that they think gray screens blow. That was my impression too, and of course, I LOVE being supported by somebody who actually has a reason for what they say.
Though I know some people really prefer a deep, dark image because they think it looks more "film-like" or dramatic or more realistic. I just never did. WFYB (OK, I just tried to make up a new acronym, did I? Whatever Floats Your Boat).

#3,032 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501transpo /forum/post/17865640

A lot of stuff in A-V especially the "A" part is bunk aka "magical thinking". I am using a "bad" screen (Silver Star) with my AE-4k and I am quite happy with the results in a poorly light controlled environment.

Steve

That's how I fell in love with the High Power. Bright room. Side lighting. Southern exposure. It worked. What can I say?

#3,033 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse /forum/post/17862356

You'll probably get some different opinions from some inveterate tweakers, but most of us use "color 1" for everything as it is properly calibrated from the factory to D6500 across the entire gray scale. I never have to change my setting regardless of program material, though the manual claims all their presets have a particular application to particular sources. Some folks have to fight ambient light so they sometimes watch the "normal" setting, as it is brighter, but the colors are off some, but not enough to offset the brightness advantage when needed. That one button on the remote will cycle through the choices so you can see what you like on a dark video game.

I know it's hard to have a complex gizmo like the waveform monitor that looks all-powerful without trying to do something with it, but my advice is to leave it alone. I have made that mistake before.

Soooo, It doesn't do anything? Seems to me that the picture looks better after I do the auto adjust...

Does the auto adjust turn everything to the 6500 standard or what does it do? Is it different in the different settings (i.e. color1, cinema1, normal)?

Argh... To many buttons, so little time lol.!

#3,034 ·
JHouse -- I bought mt high-power screen to help a low lumen output PJ. Now with my new 1080p PJ I still like it (NE room with only 1 big window, but some ambient light, and it's nice for daytime watching).

RE: gray screens -- it's the perception of a higher contrast ratio, not an actual improvement. Some people are anal about black levels which are helped by a gray screen. However, it's all in how you calibrate (adjust) your PJ, and how you use it (as well as how picky you are).

WFYB
, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WFYB , sorry that you are not the first.

#3,035 ·
I thought I share my confirmation for Carada with you guys.

Dear Richard:

Your Carada Projection Screen Has Shipped!

Thank you for purchasing your projection screen from Carada. Your screen was prepared with the greatest care and shipped today. Here are the details regarding your shipment:

* Your order number is.

* Your screen shipped via FedEx Home Delivery. This service is delivered Tuesday-Saturday except on published holidays. Once the package has entered the FedEx system, then you should see a delivery estimate date online. This is not a guaranteed delivery date but it is a good estimate and our experience shows that they are usually quite accurate.

* Your FedEx tracking number is. Please go to http://www.fedex.com/Tracking to track your shipment. If you have special instructions regarding your delivery, you may contact Fed Ex at 800-GO-FedEx; they can usually accommodate simple requests.

We like to make sure that your screen arrives undamaged. So please let us know when you receive your screen that FedEx has handled it well and its packaging is intact. Any comments or suggestions you have about our product, packaging, or service would be greatly appreciated.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please inspect your Carada screen immediately upon receipt for any damage, and notify us if there are any problems.

Finally, we highly recommend that you keep ALL of the packaging materials for the screen for at least the first 30 days while the screen is under the guarantee. You may need them to safely ship part or all of the screen if that should become necessary.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us through info@carada.com .

Estimated delivery Jan 9, 2010

Hurry up................... :)

#3,036 ·
Have my PS3 hooked up to my Denon AVR-4806 receiver with a 6' HDMI cable and a 35' HDMI cable purchased through monoprice from my receiver to my PT-AE4000. The issue that I am having is that the PS3 will not display in 1080P! Has anyone else had that problem and if so how did your overcome it?

I looked at the FAQs on the PS3 pages and followed them to the letter setting up my PS3 but it just hangs and reverts back to 1080i as the highest setting.

Thanks,

Ordman.

#3,037 ·
I think you have to set the PS3 to output 1080p. That is a vague memory so don't bet the farm on it.

#3,038 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin /forum/post/17864149

If the projector delays the display by an odd frame amount for processing, (1, 3, 5 frames) then the wrong shutter will fire at the wrong time.

Since every digital displays brands and models do have different time delay, and the 3-D process depends on precise timing to work, you can rest assured that the 3-D system will implement some kind of "effect adjustment" in a menu somewhere, for fine-tuning the effectiveness of the effect. Just like you calibrate the picture lag in the Rock Band game before playing on a new display.

Or maybe the system will self calibrate if there is some kind of sensor on the glasses.

Obviously, that doesn't imply that the 4000 will or won't be compatible. We won't know until Panasonic issue a note on the subject. I bet they know better than us, so we shall wait!

#3,041 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That /forum/post/17866268

1. Plug it in.

2. Turn it on.

3. Enjoy.

Honestly, aside from determining if there is anything wrong or severely out of alignment, these things are pretty kick-ass out of the box. Just a subtle reminder that the level of tweaking is WAY more exaggerated on a forum like this, than is necessary for the vast majority to enjoy the product.

1+

Steve

#3,042 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordman /forum/post/17868007

It's the PS3 that won't allow me to set the maximum resolution to 1080P.

try connecting PS3 to 4000U directly via hdmi and PS3 to receiver w/ optical or digital coaxial.

If that doesn't work, try using just the 6' hdmi to 4000U and skip the connection to to receiver and see if it help. That would rule out the receiver and/or long hdmi issue.

#3,043 ·
Here are my "magic" settings.

Picture Mode Color 1

Color setting -4

Lamp Mode Eco

Background Color Black

Frame Creation Mode 1

Detail Clarity +3

Beautiful.

#3,044 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/17868604

Here are my "magic" settings.

Picture Mode Color 1

Color setting -4

Lamp Mode Eco

Background Color Black

Frame Creation Mode 1

Detail Clarity +3

Beautiful.

Those are my settings except for I don't turn down the color, and the Detail Clarity looked noisy above +2.

What the heck is Cinema Reality?

#3,045 ·
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone who has there PT4000 has found any dead pixels?

Is this something that I should worry about or are dead pixels a thing of the past really on products like these.

I'm guessing if there's 1 Panasonic wont replace it either?

Are you safe these days from dead pixels in projectors?

Regards,

Simon

#3,046 ·
Just figured i'd finally post instead of just lurking. Thanks to all of you for the great advice and information you were giving me even if you didn't know it. I pulled the trigger and bought this projector and it showed up yesterday.

This is my first projector with my last TV being a 50" 1080p DLP from Samsung (which was really nice over the last couple of years). I think I got into the projection kick at the right time since the quality you can get for only $2000 is absolutely jaw-dropping! I have a completely light controlled room (in the basement so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face if you turn off the lights) and I don't have a screen yet - just projecting onto a wall that isn't even nicely painted (it's just a white matte paint with dirty spots etc) and it looks fantastic!

I was originally going to get a 136" diagonal 2.35:1 Carada Criterion series w/ BW coating but after seeing it on the wall I think I won't be able to pull off more than 120" diagonal with the restrictions in my projection path (spiral staircase that the projector is projecting underneath gets in the way and there is a beam that drops down about 9 inches in the middle of the room).

Will I see a great improvement from going to a screen versus say just getting the right kind of paint and painting the wall? I imagine the screen generally gives a nicer "theater" type feel to the room.

On a side note, I got the Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB and it is fantastic (at least to my untrained ears). I'm projecting from a PS3 over HDMI with Blu-Rays, i've attached a few pictures to see the current mess of a setup (hidden cable management and actual custom stand for the projector and peripherals will be setup this weekend). Let me know any suggestions you all have I am a total projector noob but am loving it! (Although the $5,000 i've spent on PS3, projector, surround sound, nicer cabling, blu-rays, harmony one remote etc has been painful to ye olde wallet!).

On the attached pictures keep in mind these were taken from an iPhone 3GS so the resolution is total garbage (thus the pixelization you see is an artifact of my low camera resolution NOT this projector) compared to what it actually looks like in person! But this will at least show people what this projector looks like just thrown on a non-prepared wall for temporary usage! On a side note: the APC backup power supply unit i've got setup there is pretty nice. I can run the entire system with surround sound cranked up to normal movie watching volumes, the PS3 and the projector for about 10 minutes if the power goes out. Plenty of time to get the projector powered down and cooled off or to finish the last little bit of movie in the hopes that the power comes back on fast. Also, the ceiling fan/light is going to be removed this weekend since it protrudes down too far right now.

Current Projector Settings: Color 1, Eco-Mode. That's it - ZERO other tweaking was done except to focus it. This projector works fantastically out of the box as others have pointed out.

Thanks for any advice!

Nathan

#3,047 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard /forum/post/17869379

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone who has there PT4000 has found any dead pixels?

Is this something that I should worry about or are dead pixels a thing of the past really on products like these.

I'm guessing if there's 1 Panasonic wont replace it either?

Are you safe these days from dead pixels in projectors?

Regards,

Simon

Dead/stuck pixels are unfortunately not a thing of the past. I was lucky enough to have none, but I was careful to look for them as soon as I set up the projector, and once more before the 4-hour mark.

That's why you want to buy from a good retailer like Visual Apex or Projector People, they'll take the projector back with four hours on the bulb. This is how you protect yourself from bad pixels, as Panasonic won't consider it a significant flaw.

#3,048 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield /forum/post/17870801

Dead/stuck pixels are unfortunately not a thing of the past. I was lucky enough to have none, but I was careful to look for them as soon as I set up the projector, and once more before the 4-hour mark.

That's why you want to buy from a good retailer like Visual Apex or Projector People, they'll take the projector back with four hours on the bulb. This is how you protect yourself from bad pixels, as Panasonic won't consider it a significant flaw.

Funny. Until this just came up I forgot that I never even looked for a dead pixel in either my 2000 or 4000, and haven't seen one yet. I guess that's good news.

#3,051 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwill96 /forum/post/17871701

I got lucky as well, no dead pixels at least not ones that I can notice.

Ironwill, I think you will freak out about the improvement you will see when you get a screen up.

#3,052 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield /forum/post/17871461

That's a nice theater you have Joe, very comfortable and homey.

If you want to get your speakers off the floor, I used a bracket similar to this for my center channel, works well:
http://www.jr.com/pinpoint/pe/PPT_AM15B/

Yes, I have a long term plan about that. Once I get my screen turned upside down, the framing was going to incorporate some shelving for the speakers on the bottom, but these new speakers have their own mounting hardware on the back, so I'll probably take advantage of that. Those are great gizmos though. Thanks.

#3,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwill96 /forum/post/17871701

I got lucky as well, no dead pixels at least not ones that I can notice.

And that is exactly when to quit looking for them!

#3,054 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly /forum/post/17560766

Well I have had my 4000 for a little over a week now and must say how Impressed I am with the zoom quality.

Here are a few shots of the picture zoomed to fit my 12' wide SmX 2.35 screen from my front row seats at about 12' away. Projector is mounted at about 19' back

Wow is your image bright enough... Is this an AT screen? according to some other posts I was beginning to wonder if I was going the wrong way looking at a SeymourAV AT 2.4 screen at 10' wide, thinking it might not provide a bright enough image.

thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.