AVS Forum banner

HDMI "Y" Connector - 2 Sources into 1 Display?

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  crutschow 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 sources (PS3 and Xbox 360) both HDMI. I'd like to run these 2 sources into 1 display. Neither source will ever be turned on at the same time. If I use a HDMI "Y" connector like the one below, would it work for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

Marc

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe that's a passive 1x2 splitter (one source to two displays) which would not work for you.

You need a 2x1 switch such as one of these .

#3 ·
I am going to have a projector and a TV in the same room but never use them at the same time (TV during the day, projector at night). I will only have 1 DirectTV box in that room, so it feels like I need what is pictured above. Is that right?

This link goes to one that is only $34. Am I going to lose some signal quality by going through this box?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyhorn /forum/post/18007135

I am going to have a projector and a TV in the same room but never use them at the same time (TV during the day, projector at night). I will only have 1 DirectTV box in that room, so it feels like I need what is pictured above. Is that right?

This link goes to one that is only $34. Am I going to lose some signal quality by going through this box?

In theory that should work but the HDMI handshake can sometimes be a problem with these. Try it and, if it doesn't work, return it for a powered splitter.

You will lose no signal quality. HDMI is digital and either works perfectly or very badly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.