AVS Forum banner

3D contact lenses?

24K views 36 replies 35 participants last post by  Futureyes 
#1 ·
3D contact lenses?

No joke: polarisation filters onto your eyes.

Televisions.com reported today on news that 3D contact lenses are soon to hit the market .

But what impact can we expect this to have on the 3D viewing experience? Surely once the filters are actually in contact with the viewers' eyes, the difference between 3D movies and normal vision must begin to blur if you'll excuse the pun!

It seems almost certain, from what we know, that the lenses will use circular polarisation to separate the left and right images. The shutter-glasses technique, planned for the first wave of 3D TVs later this year, requires a power supply and therefore can't be accommodated in such a small lens.

For anyone who's tried shutter glasses before, which technology do you prefer? And do you think contact lenses could be the missing link in making 3D movies a more comfortable viewing experience?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelevisionsFlo /forum/post/18081347

3D contact lenses?

No joke: polarisation filters onto your eyes.

Televisions.com reported today on news that 3D contact lenses are soon to hit the market .

But what impact can we expect this to have on the 3D viewing experience? Surely once the filters are actually in contact with the viewers' eyes, the difference between 3D movies and normal vision must begin to blur if you'll excuse the pun!

It seems almost certain, from what we know, that the lenses will use circular polarisation to separate the left and right images. The shutter-glasses technique, planned for the first wave of 3D TVs later this year, requires a power supply and therefore can't be accommodated in such a small lens.

For anyone who's tried shutter glasses before, which technology do you prefer? And do you think contact lenses could be the missing link in making 3D movies a more comfortable viewing experience?

April 1st is still a couple of months away guys ;-) This can't actually be serious for a whole lot of reasons, mainly how do you alternate two images with different polarization on an LCD or plasma screen, and who will really take the trouble and expense to buy and wear new contact lenses just for an occasional 3D viewing?

#5 ·
Hi Fussy viewer,

actually it is serious. It's unbelievable, but these products will hit the market.

It is circular polarisation, so you can turn your head and it works for LCD monitors with polarisation filters (line by line) as well as for polarized procjetions with silver screens.

I'm not convinced either, but that's the reason of starting a discussion about it here.

Is there anybody in this forum who could imagine to use 3D contact lenses instead of glasses?

Cheers,

Florian

#6 ·
I already wear contacts, would I have to get prescription 3D lenses? I guess I'm stuck using glasses.

#8 ·
Here are my preferences, from worst to best:

(1) 3D glasses + my glasses

(2) 3D glasses + my contacts

(3) 3D prescription contacts

(4) 3D prescription glasses

I am willing to switch (3) and (4) if 3D contacts provides vastly superior 3D picture quality over 3D prescription glasses. But it is inconvenient having to put on the contacts before the show, and take it off after.

#10 ·
Circular polarized contacts will not impede normal vision all that much. The only difference will be a slight "sunglass" effect, so seeing in dark places will be a little more difficult, while bright sunlight will actually be MORE comfortable. Replacing your prescription contacts with Circular Polarized contacts will basically be just like wearing normal contacts, and have the added benefit of 3-D capability when looking at a circular polarized source. Thus, there is no need to swap your contacts just before and just after the movie.

I am all for the idea, and may switch to contacts just for this purpose.

#12 ·
Hi abr27440,

thanks for your comment. What you say is generally right for now, but circular polarization will reach consumer products.

If you want to know more about it, please read our news about LG 3D .

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DTVBlog /forum/post/18088568

I already wear contacts, would I have to get prescription 3D lenses? I guess I'm stuck using glasses.

This is a good point!!! I wear contacts, I can't imagine this working unless the person had perfect vision..........which most people don't. If you are reading threads on AVSFORUM all day, I can all but assure you nobody does if they are past 25 years of age..........lol

#17 ·
I can't imagine how this could possibly work. You wear the 3D contacts for watching movie then what do you do after the movie? You can't really walk around with them, can you? So you need to take them off, wash, rinse, disinfect, then put your normal contacts or glasses on? What a hassle.

#18 ·
I do not think I would like to use those contacts. The glasses are sometimes bad enough for my eyes!

#22 ·
3D glasses and contact lenses are simply polarized plastic the same as sunglasses. The only difference is the angle of polarization is misaligned to make them 3D. Wearing 3D glasses or contacts in unpolarized light should be no different to wearing polarized sunglasses. The only time it would be a problem is when you are viewing a polarized image (lcd displays). But thats the same for polarized sunglasses already.

#25 ·
Due primarily to age, I found it increasingly difficult to wear contacts several years ago because I'm somewhat nearsighted, and while contacts allowed me to see distance well, I actually had to wear reading glasses to use my computer or read a newspaper with them in. It became far more convenient just to wear glasses when needed.

As such, now I need to wear the polarized glasses over my regular glasses when watching 3D movies such as Avatar, and I find that detracts significantly from the movie. What I would like to see is a polarizing film to apply to your regular glasses for watching such movies, or perhaps clip ons (like sunglasses). It would make it much more comfortable for us older (HA!) folks... you know, early 50's...

For that matter, if they can make contact lenses for vision correction, why can't they make contact film for application to sunglasses to do the same? It would sure be more convenient than purchasing prescription sunglasses and probably much cheaper... but that's a different topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.