AVS Forum banner

The Official Sony HDR-CX550V Owners thread

309K views 2K replies 222 participants last post by  petergerety 
#1 ·
Who else is eagerly waiting the release of this camera on March 8th?

Link to Sony

Key Features

1920 x 1080 high definition video recording:

1920 x 1080 high definition resolution lets you record your memories in exceptional Sony® Full High Definition quality2. Capable of 1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.

12 megapixel still image capture w/ Dual Record:

12 megapixel still image capture lets you take stunning, high resolution digital photos while the Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3 MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.

64GB1 Flash memory :

The built-in 64GB embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 26 hours of high definition video footage (HD LP mode), or up to 48 hours of standard definition footage (SD LP mode).

1/2.88 Exmor R CMOS Sensor :

1/2.88 "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array: delivers bright, vivid, spectacularly detailed video footage, as well as 12 megapixel still images. With 6 megapixel (effective) video resolution, the image sensor actually captures video at four times the density of high definition resolution resulting in a sharper and more detailed 1920 x 1080 HD picture. In addition, "Exmor R" technology captures images with high resolution and high sensitivity, while the advanced Sony® BIONZ image processor improves camera response time and screens out noise to help ensure that the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible.

Back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor: :

Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with the newly developed, back-illuminated "Exmor R" sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the "Exmor R" sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light-gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.

Optical SteadyShot w/ Active Mode (Wide to Tele) :

Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.

Wide Angle G-Lens (26.3mm) :

Experience the pinnacle of Sony® lens technology with the professional-quality G Lens. Engineered for superior optical performance, Sony G lenses deliver brilliant, accurate color reproduction and sharp, amazingly detailed images. In addition, a short, 26.3mm focal length offers a broader perspective for enhanced wide angle shooting in photo mode and 29.8mm in video mode. The six bladed iris allows for superb shallow depth of field photography.

2x faster Quick AF :

With the new and improved autofocus (AF) system, Quick AF, the focusing speed is twice as fast compared to previous models. Whether in bright daylight or in dimly lit environment, Quick AF ensures fast, accurate, and consistent focus lock, enabling users to shoot in a wide range of scenes without missing any important moment. Especially when shooting night scenes where conventional AF might struggle to focus, thanks to the much improved AF algorithm in Quick AF, users can now capture crisp images, fast.

1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 :

1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.

3.5 Wide3 Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD (921K) plus viewfinder :

TruBlack technology brings remarkably higher contrast and brightness to the camcorder's 3.5 Wide3 Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD display, delivering more natural, realistic colors and easier viewing in bright conditions by reducing glare. An adjustable .27 3 Color Viewfinder (201k) allows you to capture video and frame your shots with the LCD closed.

Geotagging7 with built-in GPS receiver & NAVTEQ maps:

A built-in GPS receiver7 makes the HDR-CX550V an ideal choice for travelers. The receiver gives you the ability to view your current location on the LCD map display, as well as "tag" your shooting locations. Tagged videos and still images can be reviewed and played back using the Map Index function on the camcorder or once downloaded to your PC using the supplied PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software9. Additionally, the receiver automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone.

Up to 24Mbps AVCHD2 video :

The HDR-CX550V can capture video at up to 24Mbps for amazing clarity and detail, ideal for recording on to Blu-ray® media since the AVCHD2 codec is highly compatible with the Blu-ray format.

Assignable Dial (Iris/Shutter/Exposure/WB/Focus) :

Get the most out of your camcorder with enhanced manual controls. The assignable dial allows for control of focus, exposure, white balance, iris, and shutter speed. Adjusting the iris lets you control depth of field, while shutter speed allows for control motion blur. There are a total of 6 settings are available:Focus, Exposure, AE Shift, WB Shift, Iris control, and Shutter speed control.

Dolby® Digital 5.1ch recording with Built-in Zoom Mic:

Dolby® Digital 5.1 channel recording captures active sounds coming from all directions, so you can experience your home movies the way you experienced them while recording. The Built-In Zoom Mic focuses audio recording on your subjects in sync with the camera's zoom lens.

Dedicated Mic and Headphone inputs:

The HDR-CX550V features dedicated mic and headphone inputs (external microphones and headphones sold separately).

Intelligent Auto (iAUTO) :

Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes (90 different combinations possible): Portrait Mode, Smile Shutter, Backlight Control, Scenery, Night Scenery Mode, High Sensitivity Mode, Macro Mode, Baby Mode, Walk Detection, Tripod, and Low Light Mode.

Face Detection Technology w/ Face Priority :

With Face Priority, your camcorder optimizes focus, color, exposure, and Smile Shutter technology for the face you prioritize. Just touch the preferred face on the LCD display and the camcorder will assign it priority, even if it leaves and returns to the frame.

Golf Shot :

Building on the slow-motion capture capabilities of Smooth Slow Record, Golf Shot captures a few seconds of motion as a sequence of up to 22 still images, which can be viewed/printed individually or as a composite sequence shot image, perfect for analyzing the nuances of a golf swing, tennis serve, and other fast action.

Direct Copy to External Hard Disk Drive :

Store your memories in a whole new way with the ability to copy videos from your camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), all without a computer. Your camcorder can also access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features.

10X Optical / 120X Digital Zoom :

10X optical zoom helps to bring the action close up from far away. In addition, Digital Zoom Interpolation means that digital zooming (up to 120x) is clearer, with less distortion than previous types of digital zoom.

Smile Shutter technology for still and dual capture:

Smile Shutter technology lets the camcorder automatically take still photos when your subject smiles, even while shooting high definition video. You can also set the sensitivity and choose child, adult, or auto priority.

Power On by opening LCD display:

Power on your camcorder by simply opening the LCD display.

E

asy Playback Options :

Four, easy to use Playback indexing formats allow users to easily find and playback scenes at any time Film Roll Index - scene indexes at specified display intervals, Face Index uses Face Detection technology to organize your video footage based on the faces detected in each scene, Map Index uses the GPS to easily find a desired scene based on location, and Date Indexing organizes scenes based on the time and date they were recorded.

Highlight Playback:

Why spend hours editing your movies when you can let your camcorder do it for you? Highlight Playback uses several criteria - including Face Index, Smile Shutter technology, Dual Capture and time range - to identify and compile key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions.

Hybrid Recording to Flash memory or Memory Stick Duo media:

Hybrid recording technology delivers a new level of flexibility of capturing and transferring your video footage and digital photos from the camcorder to compatible viewing devices. Record to 64GB of internal flash memory or choose instead to record to removable Memory Stick PRO Duo media (sold separately). You can even select from various dubbing functions to easily copy video or still images from the HDD to the Memory Stick® media -- without using a PC.

Dual Record with 8.3MP still image capture:

Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.

Includes Sony® PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software:

Sony Picture Motion Browser software offers a simple, intuitive way to transfer, sort, and view your video and still images on your compatible PC. In addition, multiple output options let you burn your memories to DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray Disc media (sold separately), as well as take advantage of one click upload to a number of popular video and photo sharing sites (compatible PC and internet connection required).

Smooth Slow Record:

The Smooth Slow Record mode increases the record rate from 60 frames per second (fps) to 240 fps, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is a great tool for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight. In addition, you record an audio track to narrate the video footage.

x.v. Color technology for superior color:

x.v. Color technology enables the HDR-CX550V to capture nearly twice (1.8x) as many viewable colors as the standard RGB color range, resulting in more natural, life-like images. You can even experience this expanded color range on the big screen when you connect your camcorder to x.v. Color capable displays, including a wide range of Sony® BRAVIA® HDTVs.

BIONZ Image Processor:

The BIONZ Image Processor works in conjunction with the "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array technology for pristine imaging. The BIONZ image processor provides Data Noise Reduction, Faster Image processing, and Data compression to preserve videos and images. In addition, the BIONZ image processor enables Face Detection technology and Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer for both video and still image capture. The higher processing speed also allows Dual Recording to capture still images while recording video.

Record and zoom controls on LCD:

The HDR-CX550V features an additional set of record and zoom buttons on the LCD screen, give you more control and flexibility when holding the camcorder, especially in overhead or low angle shots.

BRAVIA® Sync technology:

BRAVIA® Sync technology5 offers greater ease of use in controlling compatible Sony products connected via an HDMI (CEC) connection5. HDMI connectivity provides a simple; high-quality video and audio connection, with the ability to transmit HD video and up to 5.1 channel audio directly from the camcorder to compatible HDTVs via a single HDMI cable, sold separately. With BRAVIA Sync (CEC) technology, the HDMI connection also delivers the ability to control both the camcorder and HDTV using a single BRAVIA® TV remote5 and displays the camcorder's playback menu on screen for easier navigation.

Dynamic Range Optimizer:

The D-Range (Dynamic Range) Optimizer function adjusts the exposure and contrast of an image to counter the effects of high-contrast shooting condition, allowing for a great shot every time. The D-Range Optimizer suppresses blackout in dark areas such as shadows and whiteout in bright areas such as skies. As a result, the captured image appears as natural as the original scene.

Active Interface Shoe:

The Active Interface Shoe lets you mount Intelligent Accessories, such as external lights and microphones, which can help extend the capabilities of your camcorder.

Built-in Intelligent Flash:

For added clarity and detail when taking pictures in low-light situations, the built-in flash improves pictures and reduces shadows.

Auto Lens Cover:

An Auto Lens Cover protects the lens when the camcorder is powered off.

HDMI connection:

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a compact audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed digital streams. HDMI connects digital audio/video sources such as a compatible camcorder, Blu-ray Disc player, a personal computer, a video game console, or an AV receiver to a compatible digital audio device and/or video monitor such as a digital television (DTV).

Media card slot :

For convenient storage and sharing of your images and videos, the camera accepts Memory Stick Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo media (sold separately) and SD/SDHC media.

USB 2.0 interface:

A USB 2.0 interface provides an easy way to connect your camcorder to a compatible PC for fast transfer of video and still images for editing.

Sony Specs:

Image Sensor 1/2.88 type "Exmor R" CMOS Sensor

Pixels for Still Image Recording Max. 12.0M pixels (4000x3000, 4:3)

Gross pixels Approx. 6631K pixels

Effective Pixels Movie Approx. 4150K pixels (16:9)

Still Approx. 6000K pixels (4:3)

Minimum Illumination NTSC:

STD: 11lux (1/60 Shutter Speed)

LOW LUX: 3lux (Auto Slow Shutter ON, 1/30 Shutter Speed)

NightShot: 0lux (1/60 shutter speed)

Lens

Type Sony Lens G

Filter Diameter 37mm

f (for movie) 29.8mm (16:9 mode, Active Mode off)

f (for still) 26.3mm (4:3 mode, Active Mode off)

Zoom Movie Optical: 10x Digital: 120x

Still Optical: 10x

SteadyShot Optical SteadyShot (New Active Mode, Active Lens Method)

Flash Memory Capacity 64GB

Recording Media Internal Memory

Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed)

Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2)

Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo

SD Memory Card / SDHC Memory Card

Video Recording HD:MPEG4-AVC / H.264 (AVCHD) STD: MPEG2-PS

Still Image Size Photo Mode Approx. 12M pixels (4000x3000, 4:3)

Approx. 9M pixels (4000x2250, 16:9)

Approx. 6.2M pixels (2880x2160, 4:3)

Approx. 1.9M pixels (1600x1200, 4:3)

Approx. 300K pixels (640x480, 4:3)

Movie Mode Approx. 8.3M pixels (3840x2160, 16:9)

Approx. 6.2M pixels (2880x2160, 4:3)

Flash Yes

LCD Monitor 3.5 type Wide (16:9), 921.6K dots, Touch Panel

Xtra Fine LCD with TruBlack Technology

Rec Start/Stop and Zoom Buttons Yes (shown on LCD screen)

Intelligent Auto Yes (on by default)

Golf Shot Yes

Direct Copy Compatible Yes

Manual dial - Focus (default)

- Exposure

- AE shift

- WB shift

- Iris control

- Shutter speed control

Viewfinder 0.2 type, 201.6K dots, Color

Tele Macro Yes

NightShot/Super NightShot Yes

Auto Slow Shutter Yes (Low LUX mode only)

Scene Selection Auto, Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Sunrise & Sunset, Fireworks, Landscape, Portrait, Spotlight, Beach, Snow

Fader White, Black

Battery Info, IntoLITHIUM Battery Yes (V Series)

Stamina NTSC: Approx. 6/7 hours

PAL: Approx.7/8 hours (when using optional NP-FV100)

Interface -HDMI Mini Connector

- A/V Remote jack

- External Mic. Input

- Phone Jack

- Active Interface Shoe

- USB jack (USB 2.0HI-Speed)

- DC-IN

Supplied Accessories - AC adaptor

- A/V cable

- Component A/V cable

- USB cable

- InfoLITHIUM battery (NP-FV50)

- Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-835) with lithium battery CR2025

- CD-ROM ("Picture Motion Browser" for Microsoft® Windows®)

See less See more
#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysmile /forum/post/18060687

http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/produ...r_xr550e_e.jsp

The above address showed that no stabilization at the widest end.

Would anybody have any advice?

You got it all wrong. Sony's Active OIS system uses an EIS technology, which requires some cropping (which from what I understand is done before the 1080 rescale which is why it doesn't affect perceived resolution). The crop affects the "f Lens" spec. Sony merely wanted to give us the raw "f Lens" spec without the Active OIS turned on to give us the physical/mechanical limit of the lens. In other words, with the Active OIS on, you just won't get as wide of a lens.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 /forum/post/18060498

So I've been looking over this direct to external hard drive copy feature. I read the fine print at sony and it says this:

I guess I can't use the 2TB drive I was going to order. Better stick with a 1.5 for now? Well actually a 2 TB drive will end up being 1.9-something so it might be ok?

The more I look into this I see that the camera can only copy to FAT-32 not NTFS. FAT32 only goes up to 2 TB. The Western Digital 2TB drives come formatted in NTFS apparently so i'm screwed

There are a lot of postings around about how to reformat one of the NTFS drives to FAT32 (very quickly using Quick Format, by the way). The PS3 only reads FAT32 so many people wrestled with it there.

Overall, I decided that for this kind of video playback through a PS3 or Western Digital of other media player, NTFS doesn't seem to have significant advantages. So I took my new HP 1TB drive (WD is the manufacturer) and reformatted it as exFAT to use with the PS3. NTFS and exFAT are what popped up as choices under Windows' reformat menu choice.

Lesson learned - exFAT is not FAT32, it's a newer FAT standard just being licensed by Microsoft, and the PS3 and WD player don't recognize it.

So I then erased everything on the drive and reformatted as FAT32 using an HP utility. I couldn't get the drive to free up all its space after two tries, so I just reformatted it as NTFS and use it with the Western Digital player. I'm sure I could have solved the issue and gotten the whole 1TB under FAT32, I just didn't bother since the WD reads either format.

I'd bet the 2TB mentioned by Sony is the max drive size you can use, not the smallest you can't use.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid /forum/post/18060599

Well a couple good and bad things. I posted in post #45 that I had ordered this camera from Sony's website on 1/1/10 for the MSRP of $1299.00 because it said it was shipping 2/1/10. I was willing to pay MSRP to get it quickly.

As I feared in post #49, the selling of this camera for immediate shipment on 2/1/10 was a "technical error" on the Sony website and they have not received any cameras to ship as of yet. However, this morning my shipping status changed to 2/4/10. So I called Sony again. As expected, they still don't really know what is going on with my specific order and maintain the cameras are coming in in March. They said I am classified as a pre-order in their system and my order will be filled with the pre-orders. Who knows. I was going to cancel citing that I would just order from Amazon but they did however offer match Amazon.com's current price. So I am sticking with my order for now but it does not look like I am going to have any review on the camera by Monday.

that sucks, well at least they matched the amazon price

The Sony Style Hong Kong site lists these dates

Pre-sales Period: 2-28 Feb 2010

Pick-up Period: 2-8 Mar 2010

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18061154

I'd bet the 2TB mentioned by Sony is the max drive size you can use, not the smallest you can't use.

good points. I'm going to get that western digital 2TB anyway. I have a 320gb that I can use to bring with me on trips and the 2TB will stay home in the fire proof safe.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobie2010 /forum/post/18061174

Thanks ericjut! I was actually wondering, as I suggested in an earlier post, if you have to turn off the OIS at full WA, when do you turn it on? Pretty silly of me! Forgive my naivety.

The Active OIS works from widest angle to end of the zoom range

plus even if it didn't work (just an assumption for a second)

Active OIS is the "Second" OIS system that Sony use

"The Sony HDR-XR520VE is equipped with two different levels of optical image stabilisation. OIS is common in top-of-the line HD camcorders, but Sony plays its trump card by offering two different levels: Active and Standard. We based our scoring on the best possible stabilisation, which happened to be "Active" mode in both our high-shake and low-shake test. Both levels of stabilisation actually fared better than any of the competition, even the excellent Panasonic HDC-HS300."

http://www.camcorderinfo.co.uk/conte...ng-amp-Use.htm

Also CX550v suppose to have even better OIS than CX520

In short Image stabilization is nothing to worry about when it comes to this Camcorder because it's basically the BEST on the market by FAR

So yeah if you wanted this camcorder then get it however if it lack some features you need then try to look at other camcorders but OIS is not one that's for sure

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph22 /forum/post/18070807

Also CX550v suppose to have even better OIS than CX520

In short Image stabilization is nothing to worry about when it comes to this Camcorder because it's basically the BEST on the market by FAR

So yeah if you wanted this camcorder then get it however if it lack some features you need then try to look at other camcorders but OIS is not one that's for sure

I agree that the stabilization here is best in class at the moment. As far as I know, there's no difference between the quality of the stabilization in the CX series from 2009 vs 2010. It was the XR that didn't have the enhanced EIS in 2009.

#86 ·
Sorry, I still do not understand the matter as I am a beginner.

As far as I know, it has three choices for OIS via the menu. "Strong", "Normal" and "Off".

If I choose "Strong" and use the widest angle for part of the recording, does it mean there is no stabilisation until the angle changes to normal by manual zooming and then the stabilisation is back to active. Or the camcorder prohibits the use of the widest angle when OIS is set "Strong".

I am quite confused about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18060926

You got it all wrong. Sony's Active OIS system uses an EIS technology, which requires some cropping (which from what I understand is done before the 1080 rescale which is why it doesn't affect perceived resolution). The crop affects the "f Lens" spec. Sony merely wanted to give us the raw "f Lens" spec without the Active OIS turned on to give us the physical/mechanical limit of the lens. In other words, with the Active OIS on, you just won't get as wide of a lens.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysmile /forum/post/18080249

Sorry, I still do not understand the matter as I am a beginner.

As far as I know, it has three choices for OIS via the menu. "Strong", "Normal" and "Off".

If I choose "Strong" and use the widest angle for part of the recording, does it mean there is no stabilisation until the angle changes to normal by manual zooming and then the stabilisation is back to active. Or the camcorder prohibits the use of the widest angle when OIS is set "Strong".

I am quite confused about this.

Just like the prior models, all OIS modes works on the all the zoom spectrum.

As I explained, the specs you pointed out, more specifically this:

f (for movie) 29.8mm (16:9 mode, Active Mode off)

f (for still) 26.3mm (4:3 mode, Active Mode off)

really just want to spec out the physical limitation of the lens.

Since the Active mode (or as you called it "Strong") has a software EIS component to it that will crop the image a little bit, and thus effect how wide the resulting image is, they spelled out the lens specification with that mode turned off.

In other words, "Active/Strong" will still work at all wide, but it won't have a lens equivalent of 29.8mm (video) or 26.3mm (photo), it will just be a little less wide.

I can confirm that my XR500V has a slightly less wide image when I run Active mode.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18071395

I agree that the stabilization here is best in class at the moment. As far as I know, there's no difference between the quality of the stabilization in the CX series from 2009 vs 2010. It was the XR that didn't have the enhanced EIS in 2009.

That's incorrect. XR series definitely has an EIS component (that's what the "Active" mode is). The only thing that the 2009 XR line didn't have is the "lateral-roll shake" fix, which is an enhanced version of the EIS algorithm(all software improvements). I have hundreds of shots proving that the XR series is also using EIS in the Active mode if you're interested to see.

In other words:

CX 2009 -> CX 2010 should not have any stabilization improvements.

XR 2009 -> XR 2010 should gain the "lateral-roll shake" improvements it didn't have.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18082286

That's incorrect. XR series definitely has an EIS component (that's what the "Active" mode is). The only thing that the 2009 XR line didn't have is the "lateral-roll shake" fix, which is an enhanced version of the EIS algorithm(all software improvements). I have hundreds of shots proving that the XR series is also using EIS in the Active mode if you're interested to see.

In other words:

XR 2009 -> XR 2010 should gain the "lateral-roll shake" improvements it didn't have.

So, in general, there will be no stabilization improvement comparing cx2010 and xr2010 vs cx 2009 when NOT zooming, except when zooming.

I thought they added something better in the stabilization in the 2010 models...

Thakn you

#90 ·
From what I read, they can say this when compared to the last year's XR line. But I haven't seen them spelling out that it's improved over the CX OIS system. I'm sure they're working on the EIS algorithm to fix bugs, which you could probably count this as improvements. And the lens change, how unpopular it currently is, will bring more stable shots on the wide spectrum of the zoom, since wider lens require less stabilization. But other than that, can you point me to a Sony press announcement that actually spells out that their OIS system will improve over the CX500 model?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18082286

In other words:

No, it's correct. We're using the same words for different things. You're reading my use of "enhanced EIS" as "any EIS" where I meant "3-Way Shake Canceling", which both Sony documentation and Dave Blackhurst's tests of the two cams show is only in the CX series in 2009. From a menu standpoint, both the XR's EIS and the CX's EIS are probably what Sony calls "Active" mode. But the EIS in the two cams is NOT the same. They both use EIS, but that in the CXs was enhanced over the XRs in 2009. Since it is computer algorithms, both series should have the enhanced EIS in 2010.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18082372

From what I read, they can say this when compared to the last year's XR line. But I haven't seen them spelling out that it's improved over the CX OIS system. I'm sure they're working on the EIS algorithm to fix bugs, which you could probably count this as improvements. And the lens change, how unpopular it currently is, will bring more stable shots on the wide spectrum of the zoom, since wider lens require less stabilization. But other than that, can you point me to a Sony press announcement that actually spells out that their OIS system will improve over the CX500 model?

That's my read on it, too. I just checked the SonyStyle site and 3-Way Shake Canceling is now listed in the Features area for both the CX550 and XR550. Last year, it was new in the CX specs and features (and called "revolutionary", by the way ).

And if they can make significant improvements on the CX stabilization in six months, my hat is off to their software engineers! I haven't used a tripod since October.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18082372

...since wider lens require less stabilization.

Interesting question from a software standpoint: does it make a difference to the "shake canceling" algorithm whether a frame was shot in tele or wide? My guess is that your statement is operationally correct and it is what we all believe, pretty much. But in computing terms, if there are recognizable edges or other artifacts in the frames being stabilized, I suspect the algorithm is no more efficient on wide shots than tele shots. Data is data.

I think people tend to overcorrect for their movements when zoomed in because they can see they're off more easily - that is, the content of the frame changes more and it's easier to see that, so you do more sharp movements to correct this, and overall, you get lots more movement out of the human when zoomed in. I think that if a human had really tight movement control zoomed in, the algorithm would have no efficiency loss over the same human's filming at wide angle. Conversely, if someone makes big jerky movements filming wide angle, the algorithm will be no better at suppressing that than at suppressing big jerky movements zoomed in. If the algorithm can grab something in the content to use as a reference area for stabilization, it's good. People still have to avoid jerkiness regardless of their zoom level.

That said, the implication is that if you're filming something discrete that the algorithm can use to compare against all the time, it seems to be great at damping down your twisting motions. I suspect that if you film something so bland there's nothing discrete to grab onto, the algorithm gets defeated altogether. So that could be something to keep in mind when choosing your subject. If it has identifiable objects, a horizon line, or something similar, the EIS will be more effective.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18082759

Interesting question from a software standpoint: does it make a difference to the "shake canceling" algorithm whether a frame was shot in tele or wide? My guess is that your statement is operationally correct and it is what we all believe, pretty much. But in computing terms, if there are recognizable edges or other artifacts in the frames being stabilized, I suspect the algorithm is no more efficient on wide shots than tele shots. Data is data.

I think people tend to overcorrect for their movements when zoomed in because they can see they're off more easily - that is, the content of the frame changes more and it's easier to see that, so you do more sharp movements to correct this, and overall, you get lots more movement out of the human when zoomed in. I think that if a human had really tight movement control zoomed in, the algorithm would have no efficiency loss over the same human's filming at wide angle. Conversely, if someone makes big jerky movements filming wide angle, the algorithm will be no better at suppressing that than at suppressing big jerky movements zoomed in. If the algorithm can grab something in the content to use as a reference area for stabilization, it's good. People still have to avoid jerkiness regardless of their zoom level.

That said, the implication is that if you're filming something discrete that the algorithm can use to compare against all the time, it seems to be great at damping down your twisting motions. I suspect that if you film something so bland there's nothing discrete to grab onto, the algorithm gets defeated altogether. So that could be something to keep in mind when choosing your subject. If it has identifiable objects, a horizon line, or something similar, the EIS will be more effective.

My comment on the wide lens being easier to stabilize only applied to the OIS component of the stabilization system in the Sony cam. This is a known photography and videography fact that the wider your lens is (or zoomed out) the easier it is to keep your shot steady. I have no clue how it affects the EIS algorithm, other than there will be less shakes to correct.

In other words, with the "Active" mode turned off and at full wide, the CX550 shots will be more stable than the CX500 ones simply because the CX550 is wider. That statement is also true with OIS turned off btw. By how much? Dunno. And how it's going to affect the output with the EIS turned on? Dunno either. But if one would want to really compare the two camcorders' stabilization systems, he/she would have to set the CX550 at a comparable zoom level to the full wide of the CX500. Otherwise, the CX550 has an optical advantage.

And maybe Sony is fully aware that advantage and expecting reviewers to test "full wide" against "full wide", which might reveal better stabilization for the CX550. I guess we'll see when the pro reviews come out.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18082759

And to answer that question specifically, yes and no. No if the needed correction is exactly the same on both your wide and tele shot. But, yes if you take into account that the shakes perceived on a tele shot are much bigger than the on a wide shot for the same physical "shake" on the camera. EIS, by the nature of its algorithm, is good only to remove smaller shakes. For example, if the crop factor is 10%, you will be able to remove deltas that are within of +/- 5% of the full frame. If you have a delta that goes >20% of the frame width or height (pretty common on a full tele hand held shot), the EIS will give up and you'll get a jerk on the output (in case you're wondering, I worked on a EIS software solution, so I have some clue on how they work
). This should be pretty easy to verify with your CX500. Just hand held it in full wide on a walk about and repeat in full tele. You'll find out that the EIS will give up most of the time in telel and you'll hand up with a pretty crappy output.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut /forum/post/18082990

And to answer that question specifically, yes and no. No if the needed correction is exactly the same on both your wide and tele shot. But, yes if you take into account that the shakes perceived on a tele shot are much bigger than the on a wide shot for the same physical "shake" on the camera. EIS, by the nature of its algorithm, is good only to remove smaller shakes. For example, if the crop factor is 10%, you will be able to remove deltas that are within of +/- 5% of the full frame. If you have a delta that goes >20% of the frame width or height (pretty common on a full tele hand held shot), the EIS will give up and you'll get a jerk on the output (in case you're wondering, I worked on a EIS software solution, so I have some clue on how they work
). This should be pretty easy to verify with your CX500. Just hand held it in full wide on a walk about and repeat in full tele. You'll find out that the EIS will give up most of the time in telel and you'll hand up with a pretty crappy output.

Yeah, I buy that. The question I was asking was: is that only because the tele filming people do is generally jerkier, or is there also some function of the tele picture itself? If the same amount of shake were present in two films, one wide angle and one zoomed in, would the EIS reduce it by the same amount?

#97 ·
The EIS doesn't know nor care if the shot was taken in tele or wide. It's all about the offset between frames that it tries to remove if it's not a pan (hence, a shake).

But imagine your camera moves 1/4" vertically as a handheld shake during recording. That probably translate to a ~20 scanlines move on your wide frame, but probably ~240 scanlines on a 12x tele frame. 20 scanlines is easy for a EIS to correct, but 240 is a quarter of the frame and is not possible for EIS to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.