AVS Forum banner

Panasonic BD70V -- VHS and Blu-ray!

23K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 
#1 ·
So I'm having a devil of a time finding out information on this new player and somehow, there doesn't seem to be a thread on it yet. I can't be the only one excited about this, can I?

Panasonic website has it listed as "Coming in May" but it's May now and I can't find it for sale (or pre-order) anywhere but on the Panasonic site. Any intel?

For reference, here's the Panasonic site:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

And the specs:
http://www.panasonic.com/apps/match-.../DMP-BD70V.pdf

Will post the manual here too once I can find it.

#27 ·
Gar, thanks for the great reply. If I could just bother you with a few more questions.

1. You say no analog out on this unit? Do you mean no red and white RCA ports? If this is so, how were you getting audio without using the HDMI cable?

2. How was the image via the component connection(bluray/dvd)? I ask because my projector doesn't have a HDMI or DVI port and I have to utililize the component/VGA connection for HD content.

3. Lastly, and people seem to hate when i ask this question, does it play (S)VCDS? I always like a unit that gives me a lot of options and i still have a lot of movies (about 60) on original VCD.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

#28 ·

Quote:
1. You say no analog out on this unit? Do you mean no red and white RCA ports? If this is so, how were you getting audio without using the HDMI cable?

No, it has analog stereo audio out as well as digital optical and HDMI, just not analog 5.1/7.1 out. My Panasonic receiver does not feature HDMI so I rely on analog 5.1 for lossless audio from my HD-XA1. The only way to get lossless audio from the DMP-BD70V is via HDMI. If you don't care about lossless audio, don't worry about a thing

Quote:
2. How was the image via the component connection(bluray/dvd)? I ask because my projector doesn't have a HDMI or DVI port and I have to utililize the component/VGA connection for HD content.

After calibrating via Digital Video Essentials, Blu-rays looked great via 720p. Outside of DVE, I didn't view any DVD via component due to being forced to at 480p. After the HDMI cable arrived, I was quite surprised at just how great DVDs did look as compared to the job my HD-XA1 does. I assume for you and your needs, Blu-rays will look great (720p or 1080i/p, whichever your projector does) and DVDs at 480p will look pretty darn good, too.

Quote:
3. Lastly, and people seem to hate when i ask this question, does it play (S)VCDS? I always like a unit that gives me a lot of options and i still have a lot of movies (about 60) on original VCD.

I do have five or six VCDs; however, the one I tried to play in the player did not work. Every disc-based device I buy I try to view one of my VCDs on. Now, if truth were told, the only device outside of a laptop that plays any of these VCDs I own is a Panasonic Q (Nintendo GameCube/DVD player from Japan) so I don't even know if these VCDs I own are up to spec or not. But Page 6 of the Operating Instructions does not state any VCD support of any kind for the DMP-BD70V.

#29 ·
Thanks Gar, a superinformative response. Like yourself, I too try my vcds on any and all video units I buy. I find a high success rate with many even when they claim not to support VCD.

Now for what I promise to be my last question. I have never been a big audoiphile. I have a RCA 420 watt 5.1. HT system I use for my audio(I don't even use the DVD player) with my HD cable box and my DVD player hooked up to it. I have a subwoofer, front and rear speakers and enjoy the sound but I wouldn't call it high quality.

My question is about what you term "lossless audio". (I apologize for my ignorance as I've never heard the term before.)

1. Will I be able to hear audio from all my speakers if I send the audio out form the Panny via the analog ports? Does this have any thing to do with lossless audio.

Thanks again.

#30 ·
do u know if it plays S-VHS?

#32 ·

Quote:
1. Will I be able to hear audio from all my speakers if I send the audio out form the Panny via the analog ports? Does this have any thing to do with lossless audio.

It sounds to me that you are using a stereo hook-up and having the RCA HT system run Dolby ProLogic II (turn stereo into "fake" surround). And that's fine, you said yourself you are no audiophile (neither am I truly, heh). With that being said, yes, if you ran stereo out of the DMP-BD70V and fed it into the RCA, or if you used a digital optical cable, you would be able to hear what you are currently hearing via your current DVD set-up. I would think you'd simply replace the DVD player with the DMP-BD70V so, yes, all will sound exactly as it does now if you did that.

As for lossless audio, a big feature of both HD DVD and Blu-ray is the ability now to have true lossless audio featured on the discs. Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master are just a few of the lossless choices nowadays. The sound on DVDs is inherently lossy by nature. But, again, you do not have the equipment to take advantage of these new audio codecs and, as you've said, you aren't an audiophile to begin with so no worries on that end at all. Just forget I ever mentioned it

Feel free to ask any other question you may have. That's what this board is here for.

#33 ·
Outstanding work Gar.

Yeah, audio is the one thing I never seem to feel like I need the best(which is probably obvious from my HT setup). I do admit to "stress" about getting top video performance. Then again, if I was truly a videophile, I probably would just get a projector with HDMI or even DVI.

The truth is I love my NEC LT240K(projector) and it has given me zero problems and/or reasons to send it packing. I also like it's ability to present 4:3 material in all it's glory without strectching or pillarboxing. Viewing widescreen material is not a problem as black bars on top and bottom never bothered me, especaiilly when the image is 100".

#34 ·
Hey, my man, what works for you is what works for you. I'm not a fan of anyone telling anyone else that they "need" this or that, heh. I'm glad the NEC LT240K is still working out for you. Believe me when you finally decide to upgrade, the stuff that's out there now will only be getting even better as the years go by so no rush at all. I'm sure Blu-rays at 1080i and DVDs at 480p via the DMP-BD70V will look wonderful via the NEC if you do indeed decide to pick-up the Panasonic player.

#35 ·
After Panasonic's announcement about Netflix support, I was hoping that Netflix support would be extended to some of the previous Panasonic players. Unfortunately, the article at http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CE...-Players.shtml says that it will not happen
. The reason about the chip-set requirements doesn't seem completely believable to me other than they might not want to apply the effort to support the chip-set. I am still hoping for Netflix support on the BD70V.

#41 ·
I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly but at my first test BD part seems pretty good, almost up there with my BH200's scaler - but it could be down to particular DVDs so I need more time with it.

OTOH the VHS department is phenomenal!
I thought my tapes will never look better than ****** YT videos on my Wii at best - but they DO look a LOT better, despite being heavily used, former Hollywood Video tapes from the 80s... some even matches 480p YT videos on the Wii which is a pretty huge thing considering their original resolution... nice job, Panasonic.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18144376

Right after the Mini Disc/Beta ones.

So does this mean we are all obsolete on this thread?

Anybody know if I can record FROM this unit, to a computer recorder or a stand alone dvd recorder? I would like to be 100% tape free and have 40 more VHS and some 8mm tapes to put on dvd. What is the quality when using the componants and dig audio outs?

#43 ·
I just received my Blu Ray player(a region free Panasonic DMV-DMP70) which is a Blu Ray/VHS combo player. I played several DVDs, both region 1 and 2, and VHS tapes no problems.

I then put in the only Blu Ray movie I have(the Heath Ledger and terry Gilliam new release) which I received from DeepDiscount DVD. When I put this disc in it had trouble reading it and eventually displayed an error message claiming wrong region. i thought there was a probelm with the unit but I siwthed it out with a Panny DMP-BD10 and it couldn't read the disc either.

The disc is suppose to be region A and B according to the case. I live in the U.S. and bought both players here, even the region free player, so I'm confused at what the problem could be.

Any thought or theories?

Thanks.

#44 ·
update firmware.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilkin /forum/post/18806570

Has the DMP-BD70VK been discontinued? Fry's no longer carries them. I checked the Panasonic web site and they still list it but do not say if it is still in production. I have been putting off buying one but it looks like I might have waited to long.

They are still available thru Amazon Market Place but the prices are sky high.

#47 ·
can you guys imagine a BD80V or somn like that playing VHS in 3-D? lulz

#49 ·
Before panasonic fixed the "freeze" issue, Waterhorse(the BD version) was a title that froze. Probably has nothing to do with your issue but I would make sure your firmware is current, if not, upgrade.

To see your firmware version , go to setup, display and then press the status button on the remote. The firmware version is in the lower right corner of the screen.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/18932097

Before panasonic fixed the "freeze" issue, Waterhorse(the BD version) was a title that froze. Probably has nothing to do with your issue but I would make sure your firmware is current, if not, upgrade.

To see your firmware version , go to setup, display and then press the status button on the remote. The firmware version is in the lower right corner of the screen.

What is the newest version?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.