AVS Forum banner

Official InFocus Sp8602 owners thread.

254K views 2K replies 160 participants last post by  graf-d 
#1 ·
Here are some screenshots I took earlier today. Please note that my camera is just a Sony DSC-H50. While a nice camera, it is not a DSLR, AND I have never really took pictures of my screen before so I am not very up to par on the proper technique to make the picture represent exactly what is being displayed on the screen. With that said, these are not 100% accurate and I will note the major flaws that the camera shows compared to the actual image on the screen.

My first impressions after having time to actually get the image set up properly (horizonatal and vertical lens shift took a while to fine tune) and to watch different scenes from different movies, I would have to say that I am very impressed with this projector. I have only ever viewed the IN83 and the old SP7205, and comparatively, the SP8602 is superior, mainly in the black levels. I think the dynamic iris really helped. I curently have it set to auto.

Also, all colors you are seeing in the images below are out of the box color. I have not touched any setting on the projector other than the horizontal and vertical lens shift. I did turn the motion capture (i think thats what it is called) to off because otherwise it looks like you are watching a soap opera all the time, not really a movie. I ordered the Spears and Munsil bluray calibration disc and will post more pics afterwards. I really wanted to get some skin tone images but my camera battery died, so that will have to wait till later tonight.

Any questions feel free to ask.

On this image here (taken from the Dark Knight) the lights on the building appear to be a bluish green color. They actually show up as white/flourescent in the image from the projector. I can adjust my shutter speed so much, and obviously its not enough. But the blacks are pretty true in this picture.

This pic of the projector itself was taken by an iphone

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 /forum/post/18154036

Ok... In fact the 0,65" is faster than 0,95"....

???. If you're referencing the link in my prior post, ignore the message Bob Williams was responding to, where the size of the DMD is mentioned, and the speed of the controller chip. The info there may be specific only to the 768p chips.

The point was supposed to be that 4x color wheels offer some advantages over 5x or 6x wheels in areas of bit depth and motion artifacts.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 /forum/post/18154137

Thanks , i understand... I don't speak english very well...

That's not a problem... our Italian really sucks!
(and our Sicilian is worse)

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 /forum/post/18150738

I am new to projectors (only ever watched them, never owned one) until now. I was wondering a few things that maybe you could help me out with.

Messing around in the Service Menu can be hazardous to your projector.

#65 ·
Some controls can safely be adjusted in the service menu. Others can`t. If you go there be sure to copy the settings down before changing anything. You do not have the instrumentation to know how to change the RGB settings no matter where located. The test dis is not what you need for this although certain patterns there can be used in conjuction with the right instrumentation. Given your knowledge and equipment, a far safer course would be to hire a calibrator who knows what he is doing.

#66 ·
i have a 7210 on its last leg you guys realy get into fine tunning these. My 7210 i took it out of the box and set it to 6500k ajusted the brightness and contrast and done i hope it that easy with the new one . i hope its worth the money and i see a big diffrence.

#70 ·
I keep coming back to this thread expecting it to have updates. There are at least a couple of AVS members that now have the projector, and you'd think there's a reviewer somewhere with one...................

Hopefully, it picks up in the next few days, and that rumored second round of shipments starts showing up.

Impatiently waiting...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.