AVS Forum banner

Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread

183K views 413 replies 150 participants last post by  DrewL 
#1 ·
Mine is arriving this afternoon and will set it up and begin to post impressions.

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT /forum/post/18201836

Am I asking too much out of this receiver, or is there something wrong with my unit?.

Sorry, but you're asking too much of it. It isn't certified to work with low impedance speakers. I was somewhat surprised that it works fine with my 90db 4ohm bookshelf speakers.

#178 ·
I have just about decided on the Marantz NR1501 receiver. I am considering pairing with the 5.1 speaker which nominal impedance is 4 Ohm. My question is what does this mean to me and my sound quality? Will be 4 ohm more stressful on my receiver. Should it be a factor in selecting speakers? Thanks in advance,

George

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsparkle /forum/post/18203597

I have just about decided on the Marantz NR1501 receiver. I am considering pairing with the 5.1 speaker which nominal impedance is 4 Ohm. My question is what does this mean to me and my sound quality?

Impedance does not affect sound quality, unless it causes the receiver's output to "clip", which will both sound bad and damage your tweeters if left running too long.

Quote:
Will be 4 ohm more stressful on my receiver.

Yes.
Quote:
Should it be a factor in selecting speakers?

Yes.

The NR1501 is not rated for 4 ohm speakers and probably will go into protect mode (see the post above yours). For a low powered receiver like the NR1501, you should get speakers which are both high impedance (8-16 ohms) and high sensitivity (more than 90 db).

#180 ·
Selden Ball,

I actually had no issues driving the following setups:

* Orb Mod 2 (~90 dB sensitivity 4 Ohms min / nominal unknown? impedance)

* set of 5 Mirage OS3 sats (89 dB sensitivity, 4 Ohms min / 8 Ohms nominal impedance)

Where things have fallen apart is that I replaced the front 3 mirage with a pair of OMD-5's and an OMD-C1 (90 dB sensitivity, 4 Ohms min / 6 Ohms nominal impedance).

That seems kind of odd to me? They are actually slightly more sensitive than the other Mirage. The only difference is there nominal is a bit lower (but min is the same)? Where I'm concerned is that I had no issues blasting the first two setups to levels louder than I'd even want to listen to, but now having changed out the front three speakers with similar (if not slightly more efficient) speakers, I can't even get relatively loud levels without the system shutting down. It shuts down at levels far lower than I was able to push previously.

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman /forum/post/18220535

Guys changing the topic a little bit ,how deos one connect a spectrum analyzer/equalizer to this.I have this one below ,in particular in mind Technical Pro EQ-B5200

http://tpro.com/prods.php?prod=EQ-B5200

If you just want to watch the spectrum analyzer's dancing lights, you can connect it to the receiver's VCR stereo analog outputs.

Unfortunately the equalizer can't affect all of the receiver's audio sources for this model of receiver.

You can only connect it in-line between one of the stereo analog input devices and the corresponding stereo analog input on the receiver. It will only affect the sound coming from that one particular input device.

A very few models of receivers have what is known as a "tape loop". The NR1501 doesn't have that. Sorry.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18229741

Does anyone else have the updated firmware on their receiver and have tested the bitstream and PCM issue?

Count me in!

I have exactly the same issue. My NR1501 spent 4 weeks at Finland's Marantz service and came back with a "this one already has the latest firmware, re-flashed just in case" notice.

Unfortunately re-flashing the firmware didn't have any effect.

My findings so far:

1) PS3 (original 60 GB model) with 3.15 firmware (=latest at this point) connected to NR1501 via HDMI (both video and audio), BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) set as Linear PCM -> audio cut-off and/or an audible "pop" from speakers when

- starting to play the first audio file but not when moving to next audio file after pressing R1 button

- starting to play the first video file and when moving to next video file after pressing R1 button

- starting or quitting a game (e.g. returning to XMB after playing a game) // usually there are two "pops" when quitting a game, may happen due to change in screen resolution (720p->1080p)

Haven't tested with any DVD/BD yet.

Workaround for playing audio file: set output frequency to 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz and set bitmapping to Type 1. Unfortunately this combination prevents using XMB while playing audio and this has no effect when playing a video or starting/quitting a game

2) Slim-PS3 (250 GB model) with the same setup as with 60 GB model, but outputting as Bitstream -> audio cut-off and/or "pop" sound from speakers in the same situations as with the original PS3 model

Using optical digital works just fine with both PS3s but I bought NR1501 so I could enjoy the HD soundtracks in Blu-ray films so using optical digital is not an acceptable solution.

3) Xbox 360 Elite (120 GB model) with latest software version, connected to NR1501 via HDMI -> no problems whatsoever.

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-2k /forum/post/18232940

Count me in!

I have exactly the same issue. My NR1501 spent 4 weeks at Finland's Marantz service and came back with a "this one already has the latest firmware, re-flashed just in case" notice.

Unfortunately re-flashing the firmware didn't have any effect.

My findings so far:

1) PS3 (original 60 GB model) with 3.15 firmware (=latest at this point) connected to NR1501 via HDMI (both video and audio), BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) set as Linear PCM -> audio cut-off and/or an audible "pop" from speakers when

- starting to play the first audio file but not when moving to next audio file after pressing R1 button

- starting to play the first video file and when moving to next video file after pressing R1 button

- starting or quitting a game (e.g. returning to XMB after playing a game) // usually there are two "pops" when quitting a game, may happen due to change in screen resolution (720p->1080p)

Haven't tested with any DVD/BD yet.

Workaround for playing audio file: set output frequency to 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz and set bitmapping to Type 1. Unfortunately this combination prevents using XMB while playing audio and this has no effect when playing a video or starting/quitting a game

2) Slim-PS3 (250 GB model) with the same setup as with 60 GB model, but outputting as Bitstream -> audio cut-off and/or "pop" sound from speakers in the same situations as with the original PS3 model

Using optical digital works just fine with both PS3s but I bought NR1501 so I could enjoy the HD soundtracks in Blu-ray films so using optical digital is not an acceptable solution.

3) Xbox 360 Elite (120 GB model) with latest software version, connected to NR1501 via HDMI -> no problems whatsoever.

So, you're getting no audio at the start of tracks for Blu-Rays on your PS3 when set to PCM and bitstream?

Could you test it with DVDs as well?

I think the problems that I'm having, is that the DVDs, unlike the Blu-Rays, are not in PCM. So, my Blu-Ray player is sending it to the receiver as bitstream. Blu-Rays generally work fine for me.

On the PS3, I'm forcing PCM, so that is probably why I don't get the same problems on the PS3 that I do on the Blu-Ray player.

I also don't get any "pops" at all.

You may also want to confirm that you have the latest firmware (NOTE: this will reset your settings). Press and hold the left arrow and menu on the receiver (not the remote). The screen should say Factory, and pressing enter on the unit (not the remote) should cycle through some info. You should see "090921-1", which means you have the latest firmware version.

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18234212

So, you're getting no audio at the start of tracks for Blu-Rays on your PS3 when set to PCM and bitstream?

Sorry, I meant that I haven't tested yet with any Blu-ray movies at all. Same goes with DVDs. In other words I've tested only with local audio and video files (on PS3's hard drive) and with PS3 games. Will try BD/DVD playback probably later today.

Movie playback (be BD or DVD) shouldn't be a problem because the

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18234212

I think the problems that I'm having, is that the DVDs, unlike the Blu-Rays, are not in PCM. So, my Blu-Ray player is sending it to the receiver as bitstream. Blu-Rays generally work fine for me.

On the PS3, I'm forcing PCM, so that is probably why I don't get the same problems on the PS3 that I do on the Blu-Ray player.

Ok, did some testing with BD (Wall-E with DTS HD-MA soundtrack) and DVD (Superbad with DD5.1 soundtrack). Played both using Bitstream and Linear PCM, and the results were:

- Bitstream = pop. I'll press it again to stop the test tone -> pop. So whenever audio signal is starting and stopping there's a "pop" sound in all five speakers. It's not very loud but clearly audible and VERY annoying.

Update 6! Just for clarification: those pops occur ONLY when audio signal starts/stops, not during the actual playback (be it CD/DVD/BD/mp3/whatever). Maybe DAC is acting weird?

#190 ·
I asked Marantz support to verify that they tested PCM and bitstream on their players for DVD and Blu-Ray, and he was his response:

"That is correct. I have not been able to duplicate the issue you've been experiencing. I've tested both LPCM and bitstream signals using both HDMI and optical connections. The only thing I did not test were the two titles you were using. (Galaxy Quest & Hot Fuzz)."

Granted, the players he listed appear to be Marantz's own brand of DVD/Blu-Ray players.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

He wants me to take the unit in to another Marantz Service Center to have them take a look at the issue again.

I think I'm going to see if I can take the receiver to where I got it from and let me test the unit by plugging it into some of their equipment to verify the issue. Or, if I can find a Marantz service center that can look at it same day.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18236771

I would contact Marantz support. There may be something wrong with your receiver?

Will do that first thing in the morning. (It's 0015 here in Finland.)

I'm depressed already when thinking that I'll have to disconnect all those cables and then someday reconnect them. 5.1 speakers and two game consoles are nice when in action but they are a pain in the rearside when one has to connect them to the receiver.

Now I'm off to bed...

Update! Few hours of sleep and the fight continues. This morning I was able to isolate to "pop" issue to digital inputs. It does not happen with analog inputs. And then I found something interesting: if receiver is on a digital input there is a constant "pulse" on the speakers. It's barely audible but it is there. This "pulse" goes away when audio signal is played. But now my theory is that the "pop" sound is actually that same "pulse" but amplified. So when audio signal comes in the last beat of the pulse is amplified and it's heard as a "pop". And when audio signal stops, the first beat of the pulse is still amplified and that leads to a "pop" sound too. I didn't measure the actual frequency of the pulse but my guesstimate is ~60-80 bpm.

Does this make ANY sense?

(This morning there was nothing but front speaker cables and power cable attached to receiver so that pretty much eliminates other sources.)

#193 ·
Finally got a reply from local Marantz retailer. They said that the unit is "probably defective" and I'll have to send it to Marantz service for investigation. If they are able reproduce the "pops" they will replace the unit for free.

They didn't comment on the Bitstream issue however...

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18220634

If you just want to watch the spectrum analyzer's dancing lights, you can connect it to the receiver's VCR stereo analog outputs.

Unfortunately the equalizer can't affect all of the receiver's audio sources for this model of receiver.

You can only connect it in-line between one of the stereo analog input devices and the corresponding stereo analog input on the receiver. It will only affect the sound coming from that one particular input device.

A very few models of receivers have what is known as a "tape loop". The NR1501 doesn't have that. Sorry.

Thats the whole point though,i do want to see the dancing lights and my main source is the Comcast cable HDMI,the other would be a PS3 and how about streaming HD content from PC/Mac or Internet how will they be affected,obviously i will go optical out from the Samsung into the Marantz,its actually frustrating is there a Hi end Receiver that can do that,also would we be able to watch 3D content should we have a 3d TV

#195 ·
funkyman,

Digital audio inputs are not transcoded into line-level analog signals in any receiver that I'm aware of, except for pre-amp outputs intended to drive external amplifiers. You have to connect stereo analog signals from all of the input devices in order to get a corresponding analog signal at the "tape output" connectors. If you only connect HDMI and digital audio, you won't see anything on the spectrum analyzer's display. (You don't actually have to listen to the analog signals, though. Configure the receiver to send the digital audio to its speaker outputs. The tape output will get the analog signal from the selected input.)

3D video is still just marketing fluff. It requires HDMI v1.4 circuitry. No equipment that is currently available can handle it. Several companies (not yet Marantz, though) are promising equipment later this year which will support HDMI v1.4. As with most first-generation equipment, I suspect they'll all have lots of bugs, though.

#196 ·
HDMI 1.4.So someone who goes to Best Buy and buys a new 3d Samsung will not be able to watch it with his/her 1.3 hdmi cables.The Tv has the ability to turn an ordinary signal into a 3d viewable output.Also ESPN will broadcast in 3d soon does that mean the current HDMI 1.3 cables won`t carry the signal from the Comcast reciever to the TV.

So what would your final suggestion for the Equalizer set up.

#197 ·
The only change for HDMI 1.4 cables is the ethernet line. It was an extra line they decided to use. It shouldn't be an issue for 3D. The ethernet line lets components share the internet or local network as long as there is one device connected to the internet all devices with HDMI 1.4 will be able to use it. This saves running a cat5/6 wire to your TV, receiver, DVD player, game machines etc. If they are all connected HDMI they will all be able to access the network if capable. Some cables might be 1.4 compliant already as many have the ethernet line properly run in them already. They just have to get re-certified

For 3D HDMI 1.3 cables will be fine but you will need a 3d capable TV, blu-ray player and possibly a new receiver.

Bob

#198 ·
Well, Marantz service was not able to reproduce the "pops" but admitted that Bitstream issue is a "feature" and cannot be remedied.

In the end it was decided that no more NR1501 for me. It's a shame because otherwise it was really "the little engine that could". The retailer offered me a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K in exchange. (Ok, I had to pay 120 euros because Pioneer's original price was ~900 e and Marantz was "only" 599 e.)

#200 ·
Just as with the Marantz NR1501, the equalizer would have to go in between one of the input devices and a stereo input and would only work for that one device.

Essentially you are trying to use previous generation technology (an external equalizer) with modern entry-level AVRs which are not designed for it. Modern mid-to-high end AVRs include builtin equalization firmware in their DSPs which is applied to all inputs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.