AVS Forum banner

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic

378K views 4K replies 290 participants last post by  dturturro 
#1 ·

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/18261232

Existing TiVo owners with a monthly/yearly subscription receive a 20% discount on the Premiere at TiVo.com, with new units priced at $239 and $399. Customers with lifetime service can also add lifetime to the Premiere at a 50% discount ($199) without affecting service on their existing DVR. Only one discount is available per customer per box, so you can't combine a 20% discount on the box with the 50% discount on lifetime.

thanks I assume my other box's subscription is still intact... If I can get a better price from someone else other than tivo.com (I know that may be a stretch, but if BB has a coupon or something) can I still get the 50% off the lifetime on it?

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/18262690

Anyone else surprised that we still haven't seen the guide on the new unit? Screen captures of virtually everything else, but no guide.

In the interview linked above, the TiVo employee said they were still working on the HD screens for liveTV (i.e. EPG) and wishlists.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/18262713

In the interview linked above, the TiVo employee said they were still working on the HD screens for liveTV (i.e. EPG) and wishlists.

I wonder if they added any color-coding or some other indicators in the guide display to denote which shows are scheduled to record. That would be a far more meaningful upgrade to the guide display than some HD eye-candy.

#34 ·
At the very least I'd like to guide to fill the screen, and showing a longer time period would be a plus. IMO the DirecTV Guide is the best looking of them all. I would also like to see what shows are scheduled to record in the guide as well as what's currently recording like Navigator does. I wouldn't mind the guide looking somewhat like the Comcast Tivo looks like here: http://www.tivo.com/products/source/...ast/index.html

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18255654

Tivo allows transfers, not streaming. It copies the show to your other Tivo, but you can start watching right away.

I'm aware of that. If you look at the info, it's listed as a feature that won't be available at launch. Adding direct streaming has been discussed by TiVo since transfers cannot be used for any 'locked' content. It is a distinct disadvantage versus the devices that offer streaming.

Quote:
Doesn't support MoCA. Doesn't support any cable VOD services (no 2way, and that's the cable Co's fault).

Figured it didn't support MoCA. As for not supporting any cable VOD services, yes, it is up to the cable companies. For my particular circumstances however, FiOS was mentioned as one of the ones that may work with it. TiVo partnered with SeaChange last year, and they happen to provide the infrastructure for FiOS's on demand services.

Quote:
No price discount on box purchase, but you get a cheaper rate per month for each additional box.

Yes, I was referring to the rate. What I'm wondering is what the actual discount is.

Quote:
TivoHD allows native output, and Premiere will I assume as well.

That would be my hope.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 /forum/post/18265364

At the very least I'd like to guide to fill the screen, and showing a longer time period would be a plus. IMO the DirecTV Guide is the best looking of them all.

Interesting that the same company - NDS - that did DirecTV's IPG also did the 16:9 HD IPG that Cox will soon release for their HD DVRs.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18266118

it's $9.95 a month for each additional box.

Hmmm. Any sort of discount if you get lifetime? $9.95 + cablecard rental is a bit steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18266123

YES. I want to control both DVR's from one spot, and if there is a conflict it should offload to the other one.

Exactly! As far as the DVR aspects go, it shouldn't be two (or more) separate boxes. It should be abstracted to one set of resources.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT /forum/post/18266738

Hmmm. Any sort of discount if you get lifetime? $9.95 + cablecard rental is a bit steep.

If you buy one box, you can get the second at a 20% discount and then pay: $9.95/mo, $99/yr, or a one-time lifetime fee of $299.

If you buy one box and add lifetime for $399, then lifetime is $199 on each additional box. If you have a friend with a TiVo and lifetime, you could conceivably get them to buy the box and add lifetime for $199. Lifetime subscriptions remain with the DVR even after they are transferred and sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT /forum/post/18266738

Exactly! As far as the DVR aspects go, it shouldn't be two (or more) separate boxes. It should be abstracted to one set of resources.

If TiVo is working on this, I suspect it would accompany multi-room streaming. Shared resources and cooperative scheduling aren't particularly useful unless you can view every recording on every DVR, and that's something you can't do on copy protected content without streaming.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/18266886

If you buy one box, you can get the second at a 20% discount and then pay: $9.95/mo, $99/yr, or a one-time lifetime fee of $299.

If you buy one box and add lifetime for $399, then lifetime is $199 on each additional box. If you have a friend with a TiVo and lifetime, you could conceivably get them to buy the box and add lifetime for $199. Lifetime subscriptions remain with the DVR even after they are transferred and sold.

Thanks. That's not too bad.

Quote:
If TiVo is working on this, I suspect it would accompany multi-room streaming. Shared resources and cooperative scheduling aren't particularly useful unless you can view every recording on every DVR, and that's something you can't do on copy protected content without streaming.

Good point.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug goldberg /forum/post/18267716

Will the S4 allow me to stream video content from my pc to the TV like a media streamer. Can you record TV directly to HD on the network that the S4 is attached to?

Hey Doug! It doesn't look like they mentioned any new features as a media extender, so I assume the feature-set remains the same as the S3 models.

I actually don't own a TiVo currently, so I can't really say with any authority what 'same as S3 models' actually means
. To my knowledge though, it cannot stream video directly. The best it can do is copy video from your PC/Mac for playback, and only if it is in the right codec. I believe there are some apps available that allow some level of streaming from a PC, but I doubt the experience will be as good as using something dedicated to media streaming.

Also, I don't believe you can record directly to a networked HDD. You can transfer recordings to a PC/Mac, but only if it isn't copy-protected. You'd have to look up some info to find out what is copy-protected by your service provider. Premium content (HBO, etc.) is almost always protected, but much of the other content is at the discretion of the provider. Some cable companies don't copy-protect a ton of things, others lock pretty much everything.

#45 ·
Folks,

Looking at post one, it says that the new boxes will have optional wireless N support. But on TiVo.com, I'm only seeing a wireless G adapter offered.

Has it been announced that TiVo will be comming out with an N adapter? Or will it be possible to use other N adapters to connect to an N network?

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubArctic /forum/post/18268409

Folks,

Looking at post one, it says that the new boxes will have optional wireless N support. But on TiVo.com, I'm only seeing a wireless G adapter offered.

Has it been announced that TiVo will be comming out with an N adapter? Or will it be possible to use other N adapters to connect to an N network?

Excellent. I figured it had to be - wouldn't make much sense to stick with G.

But I'm surprised it hasn't made the TiVo site yet - they're still only showing the G, and saying it's intended for use with the Premiere...

#49 ·
My father called TiVo since he's interested in getting a Premiere in addition to their series 2. They told him that there would be interference with the remotes and performing functions on one would still send signals to the other. Can we get some official info from TiVo about multiple units (Premier and additional Premier/HD/series 2 or 3) in the same room?

#51 ·
Two possible workarounds might be:

Use a Harmony remote programmed with different commands for Tivo 1 and 2.

Put the Series 2 in the bedroom and when wanting to view the series 2 from the Premiere location, just transfer. Series 2 files will probably transfer fast enough that they can be watched "on the fly".

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.