Tags
subwoofers
123K views 815 replies 161 participants last post by  saprano 
#1 ·
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nith /forum/post/18238200

Oh my god
...the $2600 is not the top price. It's $4400.

SVS main page, put the mouse cursor on the sub image the text pops up "World-class sub systems from $449 - $4400".

That 4400 dollar system is a full MTS package with a PB-13 ultra included, not just one individual component. Link here. "The speakers in this SVS system ($4,400) don’t hang sleek..."

Wish I had the cash to drop on that setup though

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18233311

Whasaaaab, let me know when you get it (if you are ordering it ... didn't you post about looking into the Raven's 1 hour before posting the above!?), would love to hear it. Given how close we are maybe we can help each other carry the PB13 and/or the Sub 25 to your place or mine.

BTW, aren't you in a condo (inferring from your "can get the party room" comment in another thread)?

Hey PBC,

I can get the party room for a sub shoot out. I was just asking about the raven they look sweet.

If the price is righ you know what i mean

#104 ·
The $400 would probably be a 10".

Would really like to know how PB13-Ultra fares against the F113 as well as the Sub 25. Someone told me that the F113 blows the PB13-Ultra with ease. When I asked for an audition of it, he will never reply. I am using the MTS-01 system with PB13-Ultra. Initially, it was being hooked up to Denon AVR-4310 replacing my old Klipsch & Yamaha 1800 combo wt PC12-Plus.

I was disappointed of the MTS-01 when I hooked it up. Then, I realized that the Denon is the culprit. Quickly snapped a Emotiva XPA-5 during its offer. Hooked it up to drive all five loudspeakers. I am a happy man now. The only thing is that the design looks 'dated'.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxht /forum/post/18239775

The $400 would probably be a 10".

Would really like to know how PB13-Ultra fares against the F113 as well as the Sub 25. Someone told me that the F113 blows the PB13-Ultra with ease. When I asked for an audition of it, he will never reply. I am using the MTS-01 system with PB13-Ultra. Initially, it was being hooked up to Denon AVR-4310 replacing my old Klipsch & Yamaha 1800 combo wt PC12-Plus.

No!

Of course, the PB-13 will crush the F113. You are comparing a ported to sealed setup. Those subs have already been tested.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/18238979

That 4400 dollar system is a full MTS package with a PB-13 ultra included, not just one individual component. Link here. "The speakers in this SVS system ($4,400) don't hang sleek..."

Wish I had the cash to drop on that setup though

The thing is the package that you're referring to is in the 'Speaker and Sub combination' (image description) or 'Systems'. However, this one is in the sub only section ' Subwoofers' or the image description 'World-class Sub systems from $449-$4400'. I don't know...the 3 sections look distinctive to me.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernick /forum/post/18245420

this wait is killing me!!! i just went ahead and ordered the PC13 ultra, becasue i couldnt take the suspense!

The PC-Ultra is a great sub!

The SB-16 isn't going to compare to the ported PC...You will have gobs of low end output.

Congrats!

#109 ·
I'm looking to replace a Paradigm Ultracube 12 with a sb12-plus. Should I be waiting for the new sb12-nsd to come out or will the new model be similar to the outgoing one? I'm concerned that the new model will be using the nsd driver rather than the plus driver, as well as having a smaller amp.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwoca /forum/post/18247268

I'm looking to replace a Paradigm Ultracube 12 with a sb12-plus. Should I be waiting for the new sb12-nsd to come out or will the new model be similar to the outgoing one? I'm concerned that the new model will be using the nsd driver rather than the plus driver, as well as having a smaller amp.

Hmmm ... what is the reason you want to replace your Ultracube 12? Just curious, as if I recall the Ultracub is a 12" driver and a 650 watt amp, compared to a 12" driver with a 350 watt amp, same size enclosure.

Possibly a better driver in the new SB12, but it's more of a lateral move than anything I would think. If you're looking for more output, the SB13 would fit the bill better (or a 15/18" driver in 16 to 20" enclosure).

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18240160

No!

Of course, the PB-13 will crush the F113. You are comparing a ported to sealed setup. Those subs have already been tested.

In terms of clean output down low, yes. But in terms of SQ, I actually felt the F113 had a smidgen better SQ than the PB13 when I had them in my room and at jakeman's dedicated HT. But we're talking splitting hairs (at Jakeman's we did the test blind).

I think the F113 has more output above 30/35hz if I recall from the Shack tests? That could be why (plus the incredible driver of course) I perceived better SQ for music, or maybe a better group delay (though I almost doubt I could perceive the differences between say a 20 ms delay vs 10 ms delay!). For HT IMO the PB13 was the better performer (and if I recall most agreed). Likely because the clips we tested were "sub torture" clips like WOTW Pods emerging scene, canon blast scene, transformers scene, etc.

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18270127

In terms of clean output down low, yes. But in terms of SQ, I actually felt the F113 had a smidgen better SQ than the PB13 when I had them in my room and at jakeman's dedicated HT. But we're talking splitting hairs (at Jakeman's we did the test blind).

I think the F113 has more output above 30/35hz if I recall from the Shack tests? That could be why (plus the incredible driver of course) I perceived better SQ for music, or maybe a better group delay (though I almost doubt I could perceive the differences between say a 20 ms delay vs 10 ms delay!). For HT IMO the PB13 was the better performer (and if I recall most agreed). Likely because the clips we tested were "sub torture" clips like WOTW Pods emerging scene, canon blast scene, transformers scene, etc.

Agreed! I think above 50Hz is where the Fathom 'caught' up.

#118 ·
This is the longest week of my life!!!

#119 ·
Yeah at this point it is obviously marketing BS -- as we are at nearly a month since that release which was supposed to have 'more to follow at the end of the week'
. But given the prices they tagged on these new models it's a bit of a let down when you look at the specs -- $1,699 for the SB13 which has 800 watts and +/- 6db (hopefully that's a mistake in the specs) from 21-150hz....

For a little more money than this price for the SB13+ you can find excellent condition used JL F113's (which has a known exceptional driver, much more power, room correction, etc...) -- or for $600 less you can get a ULS-15 which has a 15" driver with 1,000watts and has bass extension to 0/-1db to 15hz...

So who knows -- at this point it's all speculation, but if the prices and specs on these new sealed models are correct, then there are much better values to be had with other ID brands, the used market, and of course DIY....

#120 ·
I agree, however, I prefer ported subs even though they do ten to be larger. Only time I think I will ever do a sealed is if it is a DIY with a 18" Audio Pulse LMS driver....and I dont have much luck when working with wood....if only metal cabinets could do the job....

#121 ·
I guess there is a mistake in SB13-Plus. It aint going to be at Ultra price range. My take is that it would be about PB12-Plus price range coz it makes no sense to have a Plus at Ultra price range.

The SB12-NSD and SB13-Plus might be launched in late Spring 2010 since it was mentioned in its website.

#122 ·
I was interested in waiting it out to see the specs and pricing on one of these smaller subs. Well I said F this and just orded an HSU last week. I dont think its right to say your coming out with new subs knowing that it will drive people crazy like this. I think they should have just not said anything if they were going to take this long. Good luck on your wait... By the time these come out, are shipped out and start being reviewed... Ahh why bother, my point was stated. They could at least post pictures and pricing on these so people know if it's even worth the wait.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxht /forum/post/18283134

I guess there is a mistake in SB13-Plus. It aint going to be at Ultra price range. My take is that it would be about PB12-Plus price range coz it makes no sense to have a Plus at Ultra price range.

The SB12-NSD and SB13-Plus might be launched in late Spring 2010 since it was mentioned in its website.

Not sure why you'd think that? The SB13 will have either the same driver, or a better driver (given what, 3 years has passed since development of the PB13 driver?), and have a better/more powerful amp with DSP onboard.

The cost of wood is, well, nothing. So yes, I'm "guessing" the SB13 will be as much as the PB13, give or take $100.

In any event, I agree that sending out a release that promises "by week's end" that "all the information" about release dates and pricing will be out seems odd given almost 25 days have passed.

Makes you wonder what is going on, as I can't imagine this is just an oversight (i.e., "oooops, hey, did anyone send that news release out? .... No ... oh cr*p!" sort of thing!).

#124 ·
I wouldn't ever suggest waiting for vaporware when there are already so many great subs out there to choose from. There is just too much great bass that one would be missing out on while waiting.

As far as what will be SVS's performance leader, according to Ed Mullen the PB13 Ultra will continue to be the performance leader due to the fact that it is much larger than any of the sealed subs coming out and that it is ported. Other than extreme extension, the PB13 will be likely to outperform even the more expensive SB16.

#126 ·
Bravo,

According to the released specs these new subs do not include any wireless capabilities...you are correct as I do remember reading in the earlier development that it was talked about -- but as direct wiring is always most desirable I suppose the decision was made to not add cost with that feature.

And as others have said there are so many great options out there waiting seems a bit silly and I know I won't be waiting any longer given the high prices these SVS models are going to have and the released specs -- the ULS-15 is a MUCH bigger bang for your buck in terms of performance....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.