AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/18329185

Anyone know where this is filmed? It didn't look like southern California, I'm trying to recall where it would be that green and hilly in the LA area.
The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania with the subsequent 12 episodes having shot in California
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justified_(TV_series )

There are other links out there besides wiki, to verify this, but this was the easiest to answer your question.

I am not happy to hear that they are going to move it to California. I prefer when things are shot on location. I will bet that this decision will surly affect the look of the show.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18329304

I am not happy to hear that they are going to move it to California. I prefer when things are shot on location. I will bet that this decision will surly affect the look of the show.

Gah ...

There just isn't enough landscape in California now to add variety to television shows. At this point I think every crevice is being filmed for a show.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18329369

Gah ...

There just isn't enough landscape in California now to add variety to television shows. At this point I think every crevice is being filmed for a show.

Or Vancouver. The rather dreary color palette of British Columbia serves as the backdrop for many a lower-budget TV show.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18329304

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania with the subsequent 12 episodes having shot in California
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justified_(TV_series )

There are other links out there besides wiki, to verify this, but this was the easiest to answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18329369

Gah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/18329597

Or Vancouver. The rather dreary color palette of British Columbia serves as the backdrop for many a lower-budget TV show.

I'm not happy either, as you all have noted, California is extremely boring now as it's all been used, and Vancouver is getting to be easily spotted as well. What I'm really sick of is the same city/residential backlots that seem to show up everywhere now, you see the same buildings/streets layouts in hundreds of episodes of different shows, there's nothing they can do to disguise them anymore. You wonder if those Desperate Housewives know there's a serial killer living in their house, or that there's a body under the floorboards, or that the CSI team is digging through their garden.

Filming on location gives the show a very organic feel that no backlot or location shoot in SoCal can give, I thought the locations and scenery were one of the best parts of the show last night, I can only hope that the SoCal setting doesn't ruin it too much.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/18329597

I have to disagree.... I'll take a sub par phony California look any day, rather than lose it to the north side of the border. Sorry my friends up north but this is business. We need as many productions as we can get shot here in the States. ....And to be fair, if it were a Vancouver based show, I'd have no problem with it shot there. Also, there are plenty of places to shoot here in the US that would befit the low budget needs of any production.

#35 ·
Western mountains look much different from the older, weathered, and heavily forested eastern mountain ranges like the Appalachians or Smokies. I'm disappointed to hear this show will not be shot on location. Those authentic locales a lot to do with my desire to watch it.

Look at 'Fringe'. When they stopped shooting on location in Boston for budgetary reasons and moved to Vancouver, every episode seems to now have that same overcast, monochromatic look. They still have location stills, of course, but who are they fooling?

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron /forum/post/18329981

It is hard to imagine how they can pull it off in So. Cal, so much of the flavor of the pilot had to do with those locations. But, I hear they've done a pretty good job, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt until we see subsequent episodes.

Agree... I'm definitely going to stick around for the ride and by the way, good job with the writing.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/18330030

Look at 'Fringe'. When they stopped shooting on location in Boston for budgetary reasons and moved to Vancouver...

A lot of Fringe was shot here in NY. When they announced they were bailing on us, I did the same to them. It was only about the 4th or so episode, when it was announced, but I wasn’t getting into it and that was the pebble that tipped the scales for me to leave. This show is a different story altogether. I like the cast, the look and the overall feel.

#38 ·
I suppose they'll use a bunch of stock footage shot in Appalachia for establishing shots, that sort of thing. Indoor locations can be filmed anywhere, of course. Still disappointing to hear.

'Fringe' is full o' fun, Larry. It ain't The X-Files, but it has its own appeal.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/18330170

'Fringe' is full o' fun, Larry. It ain't The X-Files, but it has its own appeal.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll give it another shot on Bluray.
After all, you (and others here on AVS) got me to check out (and enjoy) Firefly, Mad Men (not as much as FF) and now I'm hooked on Son's of Anarchy.
Still haven't picked up the Lost collection yet but maybe that one too.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18330259

Who knows, maybe one day I’ll give it another shot on Bluray.
After all, you (and others here on AVS) got me to check out (and enjoy) Firefly, Mad Men (not as much as FF) and now I’m hooked on Son’s of Anarchy.
Still haven’t picked up the Lost collection yet but maybe that one too.

I gave the first season of LOST on DVD to a friend a few years ago. He was smitten in short order, called it "TV crack".
On shiny disks, where you can satiate your inner glutton by binge-viewing, it's especially addictive. 'Fast Forward' was intended by ABC to be its methadone, but I expect LOST withdrawal to be pretty dang painful come May (only 9 hours left
).

'Sons of Anarchy' is on my DVD-To-Do list as well. I tried it for a couple of eps and gave up on it more because I just didn't have time than anything else, but thought I might give it another shot later. I was a biker once upon a time, but my rice-rocket would probably have gotten me a wedgie from those guys.

#42 ·
I call Justified a winner. It looked great to both me and my wife. And she rejected Deadwood because of the steady stream of cussin'.

Yes, Walton Goggins almost stole the show, but Timothy Olyphant held his own. Olyphant seems to have been made for this role.

(One jarring note in the script: The rarely-heard term "gun thug" seemed to to be on the tip of each actor's tongue, in separate scenes, even though news reports — the only possible means for Goggins' character to hear it — are unlikely to use it.)

#43 ·
Justified' Premiere Delivers For FX

Second only to series premiere of The Shield' in total viewers and key demo

By Alex Weprin -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/17/2010 6:33:09 PM

The series premiere of Justified on FX delivered strong ratings for FX March 16. The program, which has drawn much critical acclaim, brought in 4.16 million total viewers, including 2.04 million adults 18-49, and 1.42 million men 18-49.

The total viewer and men 18-49 numbers are the best for the network since the series premiere of The Shield in March 2002 (4.83 million and 1.74 million, respectively).

Justified is the second major drama to make an impact for FX, with its last drama launch, Sons of Anarchy, becoming a bona fide hit for the network. Sons averaged 3.6 million viewers during its second season, which was up 66% from season one.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrobbins /forum/post/18336894

Great first episode. I only wish we could have Mr. Woo and Al Swearengen move into town.

Now that would be fun...

#46 ·
Liked the first episode. Sure, it had some sterotypes and will be interesting to see whether there are any good peope...

Quick question: Was it in HD? I tried watching on Dish Network and I thought that it should be HD, but I couldn't find the HD Channel. May be need to call Dish. I have the HD250. So, I should have FX HD...

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeAttack /forum/post/18342910

Liked the first episode. Sure, it had some sterotypes and will be interesting to see whether there are any good peope...

Quick question: Was it in HD? I tried watching on Dish Network and I thought that it should be HD, but I couldn't find the HD Channel. May be need to call Dish. I have the HD250. So, I should have FX HD...

Yes, it was in HD (via Directv). If a show is talked about in this section of the forum, it's in HD.

#49 ·
Welcome to the 21st Century Seth Bullock! Wife and I liked what we saw in this episode. I hope they can continue the quality.

I am glad to see that they have been careful to cast believable actors in the roles. My biggest gripe with Hollywood is they really don't know how to cast for southern characters. Nick Searcy is perfect in the US Marshall's bureau chief. He speaks with a southern accent normally (he is from North Carolina) and has that "small town southern" aire about him. When he was in From the Earth to the Moon, he played Wisconsin born and raised Deke Slayton and while Searcy did a good job in the role, being the space buff I am, knowing Slayton DIDN'T speak with a southern accent, made the character less believable to me. My number one southern casting faux paux? The great actor Joe Pesci (who I like) as the southern David Ferrie in JFK. Pesci can play MANY roles other than a Mafia hood from Jersey, but a southerner, he can't. It would be like asking Emily Proctor to play a Jersey Girl. She would do a good job, but she would never be able to pull it off. That is a totally foreign world to her, like it was for Pesci. I hope they continue to keep that in mind when casting for this. I would hate they screw this show up with little stuff like that.

I also don't know how the California locales will work either. The Andy Griffin Show was shot in California and I can tell you, those lake locales don't look ANYTHING like the mountains of North Carolina or even the foothills of Mount Airy, NC, where that show is based on.

"Mount Pilot" of Andy Griffin fame. In reality, this is Pilot Mountain (and town of same name at the base), about 10 miles south of Mount Airy, NC and is one of three extent volcano domes in the area. Never saw anything like that on the show.

Will be interesting to see how the mountains of California will translate into the coal fields of WV.

But for the time being, we in.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/18345449

My number one southern casting faux paux? The great actor Joe Pesci (who I like) as the southern David Ferrie in JFK. Pesci can play MANY roles other than a Mafia hood from Jersey, but a southerner, he can't. It would be like asking Emily Proctor to play a Jersey Girl. She would do a good job, but she would never be able to pull it off. That is a totally foreign world to her, like it was for Pesci.

Joe Pesci was a star commodity at that point in his career. He was the hot ticket in Hollywood fresh off his first class performance in Goodfellas and also the success of Home Alone. Perhaps he was in over his head in JFK, but I'm sure the producers were ecstatic to have him in their film-- in any role. His bad accent was the least of that films problems.