AVS Forum banner

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic

378K views 4K replies 290 participants last post by  dturturro 
#1 ·

#102 ·
A hard 30-sec skip works great when I want to watch a recorded football game in a short amount of time. Right after a play ends you skip 30 sec and they're usually at the line of scrimmage again. Of course, if you see a penalty flag you have to adjust for that, and sometimes I don't skip if I want to see the replay.

#103 ·
I updated the first post with more information.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT /forum/post/18345882

Any word if they improved the ATSC OTA tuners in the Premiere?

Uh, I wasn't aware that there were any specific needs (except in the realm of reliability and robustness, and there, only with regard to lingering analog reception) with respect to the OTA tuners. I have always been under the impression that the OTA tuners in the S3 and HD were considered to be pretty darned impressive.

#108 ·
Hi sorry to be so new and thick and silly!

i always blew off tivo thinking that my cable provider made it hard for me to use! however now i am interested in premiere but i want to be able to transfer shows from the tivo to my pc then on to my phone.

is this possible? if i am networked with the pc is all i need tivo desktop plus software to do the transfers?

if not is it because of copy protection? and if thats true is there a way to figure out whats protected and whats not protected. also is there any third party software that will allow me to re-encode the files anyway and move them where i want

[like the pc]and play them?

thanks in advance!

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 /forum/post/18347432

Hi sorry to be so new and thick and silly!

i always blew off tivo thinking that my cable provider made it hard for me to use! however now i am interested in premiere but i want to be able to transfer shows from the tivo to my pc then on to my phone.

is this possible? if i am networked with the pc is all i need tivo desktop plus software to do the transfers?

if not is it because of copy protection? and if thats true is there a way to figure out whats protected and whats not protected. also is there any third party software that will allow me to re-encode the files anyway and move them where i want

[like the pc]and play them?

thanks in advance!

One of the products to do this is Tivo DeskTop Plus. Follow this link to the 2nd post of the TivoHD thread and bfdtv's FAQ. Click on the "Downloading Recordings" tab and it explains the product and it's limitations. If the tab doesn't work, scroll down to item 139 in the FAQ.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/18347658

One of the products to do this is Tivo DeskTop Plus. Follow this link to the 2nd post of the TivoHD thread and bfdtv's FAQ. Click on the "Downloading Recordings" tab and it explains the product and it's limitations. If the tab doesn't work, scroll down to item 139 in the FAQ.

THANKS for the info! WOW! What an FAQ!!

Quick question though:

FROM the FAQ

"You can download any SD or HD recording, so long as it is not copy-protected (CCI 0x02). There is no copy protection on local channels. On most cable systems, only the premium movie channels are copy protected."

How does Cablevision do it? Is everything copy protected from them?

thanks again!

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 /forum/post/18348131

THANKS for the info! WOW! What an FAQ!!

Quick question though:

FROM the FAQ

"You can download any SD or HD recording, so long as it is not copy-protected (CCI 0x02). There is no copy protection on local channels. On most cable systems, only the premium movie channels are copy protected."

How does Cablevision do it? Is everything copy protected from them?

thanks again!

I'm not certain if copy protection practices for a cable company are standard between each area. I would check to see if there is a local thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post4440893 for your area and ask there. Or, post the area you are in here and maybe someone can help you.

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuehne /forum/post/18346088

Why is there no gigabit Ethernet built in?

FAIL

No point in gigabit if it can't take advantage of the speed.

It certainly won't affect the use of my six Premieres. I'll still be transferring Terabytes of content each month, just like I do now with my nine TiVos.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/18348792

I'm not certain if copy protection practices for a cable company are standard between each area. I would check to see if there is a local thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post4440893 for your area and ask there. Or, post the area you are in here and maybe someone can help you.

thanks will do!!

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18296597

You can use several software applications including TiVo Desktop to effect bidirectional transfers of TiVo recorded content to or from your PC. Then with an editing/authoring package like Video ReDo you can burn the HD content to BD or to DVD as AVCHD.

This of course works as long as your cable provider does not set the copy once flag on the programs of interest. It works for all programs recorded OTA.

Thanks for the reply. If the copy once flag is set, shouldn't the TIVO software allow one copy to be transferred to the PC (and the original erased?). They should be able to develop software that would limit copying thereafter (such as only burning once to blu-ray).

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/18349829

Thanks for the reply. If the copy once flag is set, shouldn't the TIVO software allow one copy to be transferred to the PC (and the original erased?). They should be able to develop software that would limit copying thereafter (such as only burning once to blu-ray).

Cable Labs -- the consortium of cable companies responsible for the CableCard standard and all related licenses -- does not permit downloads of copy protected recordings to a computer. If a manufacturer wants to produce a CableCard box or tuner for retail, it has to abide by CableLabs' requirements.

Windows Media Center 7 equipped with a CableCard tuner (like the $399 Ceton) records copy protected content to a PC hard drive, but it is protected with DRM. Those protected recordings can't be edited or played on another computer.

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18349794

No point in gigabit if it can't take advantage of the speed.

It certainly won't affect the use of my six Premieres. I'll still be transferring Terabytes of content each month, just like I do now with my nine TiVos.

How the heck to you have enough rooms to have that many TVs, to support 9 Tivos? Also, have enough time to watch the amount of TV a week that you'd have to record to justify that many? haha

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/18349917

Cable Labs -- the consortium of cable companies responsible for the CableCard standard and all related licenses -- does not permit downloads of copy protected recordings to a computer. If a manufacturer wants to produce a CableCard box or tuner for retail, it has to abide by CableLabs' requirements.

Windows Media Center 7 equipped with a CableCard tuner (like the $399 Ceton) records copy protected content to a PC hard drive, but it is protected with DRM. Those protected recordings can't be edited or played on another computer.

You would think Tivo would go to bat for consumers on this issue. Recording can already be done via component video outputs, so cablelabs is losing the battle -- not to mention that the cable cos are inconsistent with use of the flag. For those of us who have had DVR hard drives crash, we know that a DVR is a poor substitute for a permanent archive.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18350293

How the heck to you have enough rooms to have that many TVs, to support 9 Tivos? Also, have enough time to watch the amount of TV a week that you'd have to record to justify that many? haha

I probably have 9 DVDRs
I'd get newer ones as they became available and got some great deals on others as they became available used. Also with DVDRs since they only had one tuner I'd need multiple ones to record more than one channel at a time. I only have one Tivo HD though and for the most part just use my favorite EH-55 DVDR to offload my Tivo HD of programs I really care to archive.

I was tempted by a $150 floor model Tivo HD at BB(probably was never even plugged in) but with Tivo it's not just the $150, I'd also want to get lifetime which would add another $300 I believe. Needless to say I passed on the Tivo and it was gone a few days later. Oh well, someone else got a good deal

#121 ·
i noticed the Premier box was in stock at my local best buy (orlando, fl) but they had a price of $10,000 on the shelf tag. this was the regular premier not the premier XL. obviously the sticker price is a joke and i asked the sales person when they would be selling the boxes, she stated March 28th.

they had 3 premiers on the shelf but no premier XL's.

nice to see somebody at Best Buy has a sense of humor about the shelf pricing.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR23 /forum/post/18352070

i noticed the Premier box was in stock at my local best buy (orlando, fl) but they had a price of $10,000 on the shelf tag. this was the regurlar premier not the premier XL. obviously the sticker price is a joke and i asked the sales person when they would be selling the boxes, she stated March 28th.

they had 3 premiers on the shelf but no premier XL's.

nice to see somebody at Best Buy has a sense of humor about the shelf pricing.

I'd bet that for that price they included a Monster Pure Gold HDMI Cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.