AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18345917

Joe Pesci was a star commodity at that point in his career. He was the hot ticket in Hollywood fresh off his first class performance in Goodfellas and also the success of Home Alone. Perhaps he was in over his head in JFK, but I'm sure the producers were ecstatic to have him in their film-- in any role. His bad accent was the least of that films problems.

You make my point.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/18346949

You make my point.

I wasn't disagreeing, just adding...

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/18346606

I only saw part of the episode unfortunately, but I really enjoyed it. I will be watching in the future for sure. Could turn out to be a really great show.

It's repeated late tonight if you want to see what you missed.

#55 ·
I missed the first episode of "Justified" but have it scheduled on my Dish DVR now.

During my youth I met the constable of Davy, WV who killed 12 or 13 men during his career as a lawman. He described his philosophy to me as this: "If I think a fellow is about to kill me, I kill him first." That fits well with the Elmore Leonard genre, and is fairly characteristic of many men (but not all!) in the southern WV and KY coalfields. Which is, take no BS unless the guy giving it to you is as big and tough as he thinks he is and you aren't carrying anything to resize him with. Archieguy may know what I'm talking about. From the comments I've read here, I have hopes for this show.

Regards,

Fitzie

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18347001

I wasn't disagreeing, just adding...

Gotcha! Just agreeing with your agreeing. (does that make ANY sense?)

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/18346606

I only saw part of the episode unfortunately....

My Dishnetwork DVR only recorded 9 minutes of the episode. 9 of 60, I deleted the recording without watching it. I don't see any repeats of Episode 2, until after the new Episode 3 and 3 premiers

Oh well, not my fault I don't think.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzie /forum/post/18349581

During my youth I met the constable of Davy, WV who killed 12 or 13 men during his career as a lawman. He described his philosophy to me as this: "If I think a fellow is about to kill me, I kill him first." That fits well with the Elmore Leonard genre, and is fairly characteristic of many men (but not all!) in the southern WV and KY coalfields. Which is, take no BS unless the guy giving it to you is as big and tough as he thinks he is and you aren't carrying anything to resize him with. Archiguy may know what I'm talking about.

Yup. Not a lot of subtle nuance up in them thar hills.

#59 ·
I saw the "Justified" Episode 1 tonight (Sunday) and thought it was excellent. This will be a treat for my viewing this spring. I didn't see Episode 2 in the guide, maybe it hasn't been shown yet, with Episode 3 coming up on the 23rd. (It was nice to see some genuine US location scenery in the first Episode.)

Regards,

Fitzie

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer /forum/post/18356227

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

And for the record. While the rural scenes were very consistent with what one might see in parts of KY (although not necessarily the "Harlan" area,) the stuff that was supposed to be "Lexington" was nowhere close to accurate. Oh, and it's probably at least a 2hr drive from Lexington to "Harlan" so the traveling back and forth several times in one day was a bit un-credible.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy /forum/post/18332229

(One jarring note in the script: The rarely-heard term "gun thug" seemed to to be on the tip of each actor's tongue, in separate scenes, even though news reports — the only possible means for Goggins' character to hear it — are unlikely to use it.)

I thought the "gun thug" thing was a drinking game. If you did take a shot every time you heard "gun thug", you probably needed medical attention.

It's early in the year, but the "gun thug" Olympiad might just be the winner for this year's most beat to death local color phrase that no one, anywhere in this country, uses.

Worst term I've heard on TV since "krunk". Very tinny.

I have to be honest. I wanted very hard to like this show. I was hoping it would take a page from the Breaking Bad playbook and try to explore some modern phenomena.

Instead it just sort of diverged through gaggerific attempts at local color that eventually turned into outright stereotyping.

In total, an unwatchably stupid show that does nothing positive for TV. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if the writing has improved. For now, not anywhere near my list of shows to watch each week.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer /forum/post/18356227

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

My wife is from Kittanning...still odd to see things being shot in that small town.

We only recognized a handful of locations (including downtown and where the shootout with the red pickup occurred).

I assume any subsequent shots of the area/town will be greenscreened since only the pilot was shot there, unless they just ignore it all together now.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/18362009

I don't normally watch FX original shows, but do they typically allow that much use of "colorful" language such as the S word. I don't have a problem with the language, it just threw me for a loop when I first heard it.

They've used heavy profanity, and some nudity, since the Shield premiered 8 years ago. You've obviously never seen that show, Sons of Anarchy, or Nip/Tuck then, eh?

Art

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/18362141

They've used heavy profanity, and some nudity, since the Shield premiered 8 years ago. You've obviously never seen that show, Sons of Anarchy, or Nip/Tuck then, eh?

Art

Rescue Me has a lot too.

#70 ·
Enjoyed the second episode.

It appears to be drifting towards a more traditional police procedural, which doesn't necessarily bother me but I'd prefer if each episode worked off of the previous.

Great characters and writing Best line last night was when the Chief said to him, regarding his proclivity to shooting people
If you were in the first grade and you bit someone, each week, they'd consider you a biter...

#71 ·
Makes me miss "Deadwood." Anyone else?

#72 ·
You can really tell the second episode was shot in California and it was some time removed from the pilot. They really tried hard to hide it but, but the "look" wasn't the same as the pilot. Olyphant looked different in the face too than the pilot. Glad to see that Givens wasn't set up to "shot" someone, but I suspect, someone WILL get shot every episode, just not always Givens pulling the trigger!

Interesting how Boyd Crowder "got religion" after being shot. I know things like that happen every now and again, but in Crowder's case, I am not so sure.

Still interesting and still interested.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/18371105

But man, they are pulling out ALL the stereotypes of rural southerners. Everyone is an alcoholic, everyone has guns, and they threw in some cousin love to top it off. Wow.

DAMN RIGHT! (BLEEEEECH) Hey, honey cuz! How 'bout bring me my scatter gun!

That is how it is in them thar hills.