AVS Forum banner

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn

390K views 1K replies 224 participants last post by  fourpe 
#1 ·

Well here it is..Exodus Anarchy 6.5" 25hz tapped horn designed by yours truly, LilMike. Much appreciation to lilmike for sliding me the plans and letting me build it early before he measured it and made them available.

I Got the pleasure of hanging with lilmike and getting this sub measured, along with my 38hz tapped horn by volvotreter, and my THT by Bill Fitzmaurice and my def tech supercube1.

A simple/fun/cheap build with jawdropping output. I know absolutely nothing about measuring, until tonight learning a clinic from lilmike. I do trust my ears and running this one sub in my bedroom was telling me, this thing is very very very very nice, deep and clean. I cannot wait to have this coming week off and finish the other 3 for my bedroom.

As far as parts for the build, all that was needed was 1 sheet 5x5 1/2" baltic birch, terminal cup, some screws/glue, Exodus Anarchy driver, and used about a 4' x 2' 1/2" sheet of Quiet Liner Acoustical Cotton. I cut each piece of acoustic cotton in 10"-11" sections as you see in the pics.

I did have one goof. the driver didnt fit in the access panel
thank god i didnt have the other side on yet. In my next three builds, I am not even going to put in an access panel. In my eyes, once the sub is in properly I dont need to accesss it anymore, plus fighitng to seal them properly, grrr

Mike will be chiming in shortly with all the measurements and stuff that he recorded, but for now here are the build pics and plans. This thing is worth every cent and more.

See less See more
#27 ·
Guys, I was just thinking that if there's enough interest in this design, or the larger 12" Shiva version, I might be able to set up some type of flat pack shipping option. I have a fairly large storage area down at my shop and could contact a local cabinet builder to see how much they would charge just to cut 50 or 100 boxes. I could keep all the stuff at my shop and package/ship it out as needed.

I'm not sure how much the price would be, and it would only be fair to include a fee to the smart guy that designed the box as well. But it should still be fairly reasonable after all is said and done.

I'd think this box could be shipped easy, not just as a flat pack, but also a completed enclosure as another option.

What do you guys think?

#28 ·
You mentioned measurments, but I can't seem to find them. Could you point me in the right direction? Is it a 25hz -3db or -6db? Is that in-room or measured at the mouth?

Very cool looking build. A couple of those might be nice for a bedroom build.

#30 ·
#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/18392530

You mentioned measurments, but I can't seem to find them. Could you point me in the right direction? Is it a 25hz -3db or -6db? Is that in-room or measured at the mouth?

Very cool looking build. A couple of those might be nice for a bedroom build.

Measurements? They're still on my laptop, which is still in the car....

I left radman12's place after 1 AM Friday night (we did the last outdoor measurements around 10:45
), but was busy with lectures and travel all day yesterday so I did not get anything posted. After an hour of prep, 3 hours of speaking, another hour or two talking to people afterwards, and 5 hours of driving, I got home last night after 8, had a beer, and pretty much fell asleep in the chair.

Will try to get things cleaned up and posted shortly.

#33 ·
While a flatpack is a nice idea, to be honest - this one is not a complicated build. The cuts are all rectangular and most of the joints are square. Skilsaw and straightedge territory.

There is no internal bracing (there is no need). For this reason alone, this is a SIMPLE build.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf /forum/post/18392669

I think I'd be worried about possible legal issues of such a venture - you might want to check in with Danley Sound Labs about that idea.

Yeh, I don't think this design falls within any legal issues. But I do believe the guy(s) that did this particular design should be compensated though as part of the purchase.

If anyone thinks there's interest in flat packing something like this, I'll call around next week and see what I can come up with. If i found the right company, maybe we could get a bunch of different models built. maybe dual 6.5's, a single 8" design, the 12" shiva, etc.

I have plenty of room to store all the kits and ship out as needed.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/18392877

While a flatpack is a nice idea, to be honest - this one is not a complicated build. The cuts are all rectangular and most of the joints are square. Skilsaw and straightedge territory.

There is no internal bracing (there is no need). For this reason alone, this is a SIMPLE build.

I think it's simple for a decent amount of us, but not for many other people. Heck, most sub boxes are pretty simple to build.

A cabinet maker might be able to buy the wood cheaper to cancel out some of the shipping charges.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18390219

lilmike, have you had a chance to run the numbers with the original Exodus 6.5" woofer?

It will sound OK if the driver will fit inside, but it is not a perfect fit.

The low corner is not quite as low (30 vs 25), and the excursion is not nearly as controlled.

Without knowing the Xmax of the driver, it is hard to predict when the bad noises will start, but if you're not planning to drive it too hard, you should be OK.

#37 ·
It would be awesome to see what the actual size of an 8" or dual 6.5" would be and what the performance would come out at. I am looking to try my hand in building some subs, just to build as I have always had an interest in wood working. Brings me back 20 years to building things in my grandpa's basement.

It appears the single 6.5" is a sub $200 sub, perfect to start out as you describe it to be a "Simple" build.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/18393655

It will sound OK if the driver will fit inside, but it is not a perfect fit.

I'm hoping you'll load the Tang Band W6-1139SI in your own build and measure so we'll have comparative data....

#39 ·
Ask and ye shall receive.

Measured 1W 1M SPL is blue, modeled is red.

We measured outdoors over a driveway, so this was not a perfect 2pi measurement by any means. Ambient noise was ~50 dB, so >25 dB down from the measurement levels. This measurement is certainly adequate to verify the performance of the design. We are essentially flat (+/- 3 dB) from 25 Hz to 100 Hz. 2.83 V yields about 86 dB at 1M, which is very close to the prediction.

Drive voltage from amplifier was set at 2.83V into an 8-ohm resistor with my most accurate voltmeter. My equipment is probably accurate to a dB, and should be flat within the area I have presented. Measurements were made with REW using the equipment I have described elsewhere.

I also did a little experiment with HolmImpulse.

Measured SPL and THD:

2nd Harmonic:

3rd Harmonic:

Hmmm, it is a 25 Hz tapped horn design and the THD takes over below that, pretty much as I expected, and exactly as theory predicts. I did not bother with the higher harmonics - they were buried in the noise.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab /forum/post/18393848

I'm hoping you'll load the Tang Band W6-1139SI in your own build and measure so we'll have comparative data....

Planning to do exactly that. They are not a bad fit at all, but do run out of excursion a touch sooner.

Radman12's Tang Bands were currently deployed (and sounded great, they measured pretty good too), so we did not want to tear anything apart as a science project.

#43 ·
Well, the driver is rated at 100 watts, but hornresp tells me that 75 is a safe limit.

I measured a 1 W/1M SPL of ~86 dB in a quasi 2pi environment.

Putting on my thinking cap.....

75 -1 = 74 watts remaining

Log (74 watts) = 1.869

1.869 * 10 dB SPL per log cycle of power increase = 18.69 dB

So - after a little head scratching, the theoretical maximum SPL for a 2pi environment is about 105 dB at 1 meter, though in reality there will be some losses due to power compression and voice coil heating.

Add in corner loading and room gain, and it will do significantly better, but I am NOT going to pull that number out of my nether region and present it to anyone as a fact.

Remember - I chose "low" and "small".

#48 ·
Big, low, high SPL

lil mike, I believe those were the three characteristics with tapered horns you mentioned as picking two.

You mentioned that the anarchy's were wonderfull drivers. Does doubling them up do anything when you were running models? It would completely change the design around though, but can it go higher and deeper with a larger box?

#49 ·
Sure, it can. This would be a totally different design though.

The targets were ~85 dB 1W, below 30 Hz, and under 2 cubic feet. I got the first two, but definitely missed the third.

Multiple cabinets is the only answer to loud with the Anarchy or similar drivers if that's what you're after. Consider that 4 cabinets would only take up 12 cubic feet total, but in four pieces. This would provide considerable output with a lot more flexibility in placement when compared to a single large sub enclosure.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/18395782

Sure, it can. This would be a totally different design though.

The targets were ~85 dB 1W, below 30 Hz, and under 2 cubic feet. I got the first two, but definitely missed the third.

Multiple cabinets is the only answer to loud with the Anarchy or similar drivers if that's what you're after. Consider that 4 cabinets would only take up 12 cubic feet total, but in four pieces. This would provide considerable output with a lot more flexibility in placement when compared to a single large sub enclosure.

Are you saying we can not just put two drivers in the same cabinet? The cabinet size would have to double when we double the drivers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.