AVS Forum banner
711K views 4K replies 402 participants last post by  gjr. 
#1 ·
There have been many recent disparate posts inquiring about the Gallos .. namely the Reference 3.1's. So it would make sense to start an owners thread where all the questions can be concentrated and answered within this one thread.

It should also be an area for our mutual Gallo luv-fest for these insanely great sounding (and priced) speakers. Please feel free to post pics of your speakers, equipment and rooms.

Let the love begin ........

#1,427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic12kenneth /forum/post/18372595

Thanks Styln for sharing your experience. I might get a chance to audition one in a month or so from someone who is ordering. Does the wide dispersion reduce the pin-pointing imaging? I heard omni-directional speaker and the imaging isn't as sharp or accurate. What about Strada?

Ken

Not at all: wide soundstage with solid imaging. I've got a couple of Stereophile disks where JA describes where each band member was placed during the recording session and the Gallos faithfully relay that message to my ears. Keep in mind the Ref 3.1s are not omni-directional: the midranges are conventional and fire straight ahead, the woofers fire either in or out (being low freqs it doesn't much matter), and the tweeters are unique with ~180 degrees of HF dispersion. So placing instruments in the soundstage is not compromised by the strong imaging of these speakers.

Very unique and very good for the money.

Styln

#1,428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln /forum/post/18380540

Not at all: wide soundstage with solid imaging. I've got a couple of Stereophile disks where JA describes where each band member was placed during the recording session and the Gallos faithfully relay that message to my ears. Keep in mind the Ref 3.1s are not omni-directional: the midranges are conventional and fire straight ahead, the woofers fire either in or out (being low freqs it doesn't much matter), and the tweeters are unique with ~180 degrees of HF dispersion. So placing instruments in the soundstage is not compromised by the strong imaging of these speakers.

Styln

Hey StyIN

Minor correction - CDT tweeter on 3.1's has 330 degrees dispersion - almost surround but as you say, soundstaging is very precise nevertheless.

#1,429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect /forum/post/18382368

Hey StyN

Minor correction - CDT tweeter on 3.1's has 330 degrees dispersion - almost surround but as you say, soundstaging is very precise nevertheless.

I'll see your correction, and subtract 30!

"...the Reference 3.1's CDTII tweeter is so transparent, fast and dynamic that it offers 300° horizontal dispersion..."

Still makes you much closer to right than me

Styln

#1,434 ·
Hoping this is a typo -> "Warranty: One year parts and labor"

#1,436 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln /forum/post/18380540

Styln

Now you really got me excited.I can't wait to demo one. Can you list some of the stereophile albums here because I wanted to buy for audition?

Ken

#1,438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/18400755

What was the term for the 3.1? IMHO and experience, if electronics don't fail right away, there isn't anything to worry about.

My experience matches up with yours. But you want to buy from a audio company that has confidence in their build quality to offer a longer warranty. It seems for speakers 5 years for parts and labor is fairly common. For electronics, few can beat Bryston't 20 year warranty and their exemplary customer service.

#1,439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/18400755

What was the term for the 3.1? IMHO and experience, if electronics don't fail right away, there isn't anything to worry about.

The 3.1s have 5yrs Labor + Parts, like every other speaker I own.

I do agree with you, haven't had many issues with any of the electronics I owned, but did once have a problem with my 3.1s, maybe 2yrs after owning them. Long story short I woke up to a piercing noise coming from my right 3.1, quickly shut the amp off and pulled the power cord but the damage was done, the CDT was smoking.

No clue what happened, no damage to the amp or any other gear, nor anything in the house, just a weird fluke. Gallo was great about it, sub 2 week turnaround time, cost me ~ $70 for shipping one way. Now if it had been the 3.5s, I may have had to eat the cost.

#1,441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara /forum/post/18396919

Hoping this is a typo -> "Warranty: One year parts and labor"
http://www.roundsound.com/registration.php

Partial quote from the page linked above:

"All Anthony Gallo Acoustics products come with our standard one (1) year parts and labor factory warranty. By registering your product within 60 days of purchase, you can extend your coverage to five (5) years (with the exception of the S.A. Subwoofer Amplifier and the TR-1 and TR-2 subwoofers, which can be extended to two years)."

#1,442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic12kenneth /forum/post/18399064

Now you really got me excited.I can't wait to demo one. Can you list some of the stereophile albums here because I wanted to buy for audition?

Ken

Yeah, demoing speakers is fun because there is so much variation between them. In general, much more "personality" than electronics. Here are the two I'd start with:

Stereophile Test CD 2 is probably the best for soundstage and imaging testing. Track 10 "Mapping the Soundstage" pretty much says it all. The booklet guides you through how the various tracks were recorded and what you should hear. Nice mix of music and test tones, etc...

The Stereophile Rendezvous disc is one of my favorite jazz discs. Sounds great and "The Mooche" puts a trombone in your face! The booklet has a picture of the band members placement, JA writes about the equipment used to record and master the disc and how he was able to keep the soundstage faithful to the placement of the band members during the recording session.

Styln

#1,443 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM /forum/post/18401842

My experience matches up with yours. But you want to buy from a audio company that has confidence in their build quality to offer a longer warranty. It seems for speakers 5 years for parts and labor is fairly common. For electronics, few can beat Bryston't 20 year warranty and their exemplary customer service.

No argument on the confidence front. As others have pointed out Gallo does provide a 5 yr warranty.

With Gaara's CDT failure I think that is the 2nd or 3rd failure reported on this thread since it started in early 2007. One guy pretty much admitted to driving the speakers to hard during burn-in. As I recall, everyone was happy (well as happy as you can be under those circumstances) with the support they got from Gallo.

Styln

#1,446 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln /forum/post/18408650

No argument on the confidence front. As others have pointed out Gallo does provide a 5 yr warranty.

With Gaara's CDT failure I think that is the 2nd or 3rd failure reported on this thread since it started in early 2007. One guy pretty much admitted to driving the speakers to hard during burn-in. As I recall, everyone was happy (well as happy as you can be under those circumstances) with the support they got from Gallo.

Styln

I had 1 issue and maybe 1 non-issue but both were taken care of very quickly by my support center.

The real issue was that my woofer was wired out of phase to the mid-range drivers. The funny thing was that the second voice coil was in-phase but I was not using it.

The shop confirmed my findings and fixed it for me.

The second issue was that one of the tweeters went almost black vs gold which they normally turn to. It still seemed to play and sound ok but I was bothered by it and the shop ordered a replacement tweeter and swapped it out, that was after 3+ years.

Service wise, I think they are quite good. Better then other manufactures that I have had to deal with being an international customer (why is Rotel's international warranty 2 years vs 5 years for US Warranty?)

I am hoping the 3.5's get out here soon....

#1,450 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe /forum/post/18414970

How were you able to determine on your own that the woofer was wired out of phase to the mid-range drivers?!

Hey, I was going to ask that question

I'm guessing it wouldn't pass the standard phase test available on many media. And/Or there is the 9V battery test that will momentarily cause the drivers to jump either in or out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Styln