AVS Forum banner

Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market!

134K views 652 replies 147 participants last post by  TheKrell 
#1 ·
I switched to Dish Network this past week, and I really like the new ViP722 DVR! I am a former DirecTV/Tivo owner and I am very impressed with the new Dish DVR. Not only is it very fast, but it also has an enabled USB port that supports external hard drives up to 750GB. Unlimited HD storage! Can't beat it! I believe this is currently the best HD DVR on the market.

See less See more
#452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster /forum/post/18415161

Glendale, WI Bobby, so I am on the Milwaukee WI local package. I called last night and talked to someone saying I wanted to try the 722K to be able to get 2 OTA signals. They said it still wouldn't solve my issue of recording two OTA HD locals at once.

So I said I wasn't happy with this and they put me through to one of the account people who try to give you deals to make you happy. He said he understood and that he has the same situation at home.

He said getting another stand alone DVR for my other HDTV and using the already hooked up 722 in single mode will allow me the flexibility to do what I want. I think he said it was the 222 DVR model, and he waived all install and upgrade charges. He said the 722K would not allow me to record two OTA HD shows at the same time, even with the adapter.

It will cost $10 more a month, but in this situation I will take it. Hope this helps me out. The technician will also look at my dish and the line of sight issue. Online it says they offer HD Locals except for CBS, but they keep saying on their end it isn't accurate. The last guy I talked to thinks it may even be a broadcast rights issue.

The 722k can definitely record 2 OTA and 2 SAT signals for a total of 4 simultaneous recordings at once (assuming you have the OTA add-on). Their documentation is just incorrect.

#453 ·
poster, it looks like you are getting your local SD channels from the 110 satellite. The local channels SD and HD also exist on the 61.5 satellite. From the looks of the spotbeam on 61.5, it looks like you should be able to receive it just fine, unless you have a building or trees in the way.

#454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/18415598

The 722k can definitely record 2 OTA and 2 SAT signals for a total of 4 simultaneous recordings at once (assuming you have the OTA add-on). Their documentation is just incorrect.

Ha ha, that is the frustrating part. I know when I come here I get great expert opinion/advice, then you ask them and it seems they never fully know. I know their jobs are not easy and I try to keep an open mind, still sucks.

Do you think I should tell them to bring me a 722K instead of the additional 222 receiver? If I use a 722K with the add-on I need two OTA antenna's, right? Or does it split out somehow? I have never seen any documentation on it so apologies if the question is silly.

Thanks for your information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/18416106

poster, it looks like you are getting your local SD channels from the 110 satellite. The local channels SD and HD also exist on the 61.5 satellite. From the looks of the spotbeam on 61.5, it looks like you should be able to receive it just fine, unless you have a building or trees in the way.

Thanks Bobby for the help. I will use this information when the installer comes. I don't believe anything is in the way. The neighbor has no trees in their yard and the dish faces that way. No buildings in the way either.

There is an old D* dish up there from the previous home owners. The Dish installer said he couldn't legally touch it. The new dish is close to it, so not sure if that is causing an issue. To be honest, last night we were getting tons of satellite signal lost issues when watching satellite broadcast channels. My wife was not happy. :)

Hopefully on Saturday this can be resolved. Thanks a bunch for your information as well!

#458 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. What a damn joke this whole process has been. I just spent another hour on the phone with them. The person says in short once again that even with a 722K and the adapter, I will not be able to record two OTA HD channels at once.

She also said that getting the 722K is the luck of the draw as it is in the same grouping as the 622 and 722 and it depends on what the local office has in stock. I then said can you tell them I need one for my situation and she said she couldn't. I went back and forth with her for 20 minutes telling her how odd that was and how it seemed like they didn't want to help me.

In the end, she said her supervisor emailed the local office to request that I get a 722K and an adapter, but that she still cannot guarantee it as they may not have any. If so I would have to reschedule until they brought one.

Like pulling teeth I tell ya. I pulled this from the module add-on white sheet. She said it does not have two OTA tuners, but their own documentation says it does.

Quote:
New Feature!

MT2 Over-the-Air (OTA) Module for the DISH Network VIP® 222k and VIP® 722k Satellite Receivers

Overview

You can now purchase an MT2 Over-the-Air (OTA) Module to connect your over-the-air (OTA) antenna directly to your ViP222k or ViP722k DVR satellite receiver. View local, digital, over-the-air channels directly through your satellite receiver by integrating the OTA channels into your Program Guide. The MT2 OTA Module adds two digital over-the-air tuners (using one port) and a Channel 3-4 coaxial output. The Channel 3-4 Output (CH 3-4 OUT) lets you view TV1 content on a standard-definition TV.

Perhaps I have just had bad luck with the service when I call, not sure. I told her that many knowledgeable people on the AVS forum are contradicting what you are telling me. She said they must be doing something outside of the normal usage of the equipment and voiding the warranty.

She did say I was on the Eastern arc setup though so I guess that must be right.

#459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster /forum/post/18419484

Thanks everyone for your advice. What a damn joke this whole process has been. I just spent another hour on the phone with them. The person says in short once again that even with a 722K and the adapter, I will not be able to record two OTA HD channels at once.

She also said that getting the 722K is the luck of the draw as it is in the same grouping as the 622 and 722 and it depends on what the local office has in stock. I then said can you tell them I need one for my situation and she said she couldn't. I went back and forth with her for 20 minutes telling her how odd that was and how it seemed like they didn't want to help me.

In the end, she said her supervisor emailed the local office to request that I get a 722K and an adapter, but that she still cannot guarantee it as they may not have any. If so I would have to reschedule until they brought one.

Like pulling teeth I tell ya. I pulled this from the module add-on white sheet. She said it does not have two OTA tuners, but their own documentation says it does.

Perhaps I have just had bad luck with the service when I call, not sure. I told her that many knowledgeable people on the AVS forum are contradicting what you are telling me. She said they must be doing something outside of the normal usage of the equipment and voiding the warranty.

She did say I was on the Eastern arc setup though so I guess that must be right.

I find I get better service by using the chat feature on Dish's website:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...chat_18515.asp

Also, if you are getting your locals in SD but not HD on the Eastern Arc, they must have done something really stupid as those channels are on the same Satellite!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/...=dn61&sub=true

Good luck!

Ted

#460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/18421046

I find I get better service by using the chat feature on Dish's website:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...chat_18515.asp

Also, if you are getting your locals in SD but not HD on the Eastern Arc, they must have done something really stupid as those channels are on the same Satellite!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/...=dn61&sub=true

Good luck!

Ted

He may be getting his SD locals off of the 110 satellite. They are also there. They may have installed a 1000.2 (Western Arc) instead of a 1000.4 (Eastern Arc).

#461 ·
Thank guys! I really appreciate all of the information and helpful links and guides. I have a Mac Mini connected to my HDTV as a HTPC so I will have this thread and some of the satellite links open when the tech comes so he can check everything.

I thought I heard from one of the operators during the last two nights that I was on the Eastern arc, but perhaps they are mistaken. I will have the tech check that. I think she did also say that the SD locals are coming from the 110 satellite. Looking at that list, I see alot of the channels I have as I get the same SD locals in the 7000 channel region.

I saw the new 922 VIP and it looks awesome. I know E* (I think that is the abbreviation used here for EchoStar) has good technology so once I get to the point when I can enjoy it I will be happy. Just need to get there! :)

#464 ·
On the Point Dish Screen it says Locked EchoStar 110 West. You guys were saying I should be on East, they said I was on East. Is this telling me I am on West (seems obvious, just want to make sure).

Signal was only at 70 and to be honest the signal has seemed really weak. Lots of Acquiring Signal screens that interrupt broadcast.

Once I clicked on Check Switch it said the satellites were 119 110 129 under 1-3 in that order. 4 was X'ed out.

Thanks everyone!

#465 ·
They have you under Western Arc, 110, 119, 129. That definitely tells us why you are not receiving your HD locals. Your dish needs to changed out to Eastern Arc. 61.5, 72, 77. Either that or they need to add a second dish to get 61.5. Their choice, but you must insist upon it.

#466 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/18424538

They have you under Western Arc, 110, 119, 129. That definitely tells us why you are not receiving your HD locals. Your dish needs to changed out to Eastern Arc. 61.5, 72, 77. Either that or they need to add a second dish to get 61.5. Their choice, but you must insist upon it.

BTW: If they cannot get LOS for 61.5, they never should have done the install of HD receivers.

Ted

#468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/18426558

He's got all of the national HD channels that are available on the 129 satellite. He just can't see the local HDs without 61.5.

Which is why they never should have done the install if LOS is an issue unless he specifically said he did not care if he could not get HD locals.

Ted

#469 ·
So the installer came and moved the position of the dish to get my on the 61.5 satellite for my HD locals which I now get. I am still on West for some reason, but he thought it may have to be done to get the signal to work.

He said his office does not have any 722K units so I still have that box, but in getting HD locals and using Single mode, I can now get past my issue. Looking forward to enjoying E* service now, thanks to everyone who helped. It has been helpful to me in understanding how it works.

#471 ·
poster, I have been thinking about what you have said about what they did. You said you are still on the western arc but they moved a dish to get 61,5. Do two things for me please. Do the Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch from your remote again. Do you see 61.5, 110, 119? Next take a look at the dish/dishes outside. Do you have one or two dishes? If you have two, does one of them have a twin LNB and the other a single? If you have the latter, then you have been set up incorrectly. What you should see on your check switch is 61.5, 72, 77. That is the Eastern Arc. The reason I am bringing this up is that many national HD channels are on 72 and 129 only. It has been said that all of the national channels on 61.5 will be moved over to 72 soon. 72 will be the national HD satellite for the Eastern Arc an 129 will do the same for the Western Arc.

If you are not looking at 72 or 129 you will not be able to get ESPN in HD, TNT in HD, SYFY in HD and several others. If you go to channel 140 today, you should be able to get ESPN-HD. If you can't, that is unacceptable and you need those folks to return and set you up for Eastern Arc, like it should be.

#472 ·
Hi Bobby. There are now two dished up there which I am not really happy about. The original dish that was put up there seems to have 3 LNB's on it. The other newer dish just has one.

When looking at check switch is lists 119 110 129 61.5 and it looks like 61.5 is grabbed by the single dish as it says Sngl underneath. The others say 1.2K or something along those lines.

Still on West. I get the HD channels you mentioned, but am still concerned as you all said I should be on East. Everything seems fine though so far. Frustrating though to know it is still not as correct as it should be.

Thanks for the continued help and concern.

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/18434688

There are known software bugs related to having both 61.5 and 129. If you find your DVR to be unreliable, I suggest getting Dish to switch you to a 1000.4 dish.

Ted

Thanks Ted for the information. I will keep an eye on how it works this week once the timers are put through the motions.

Why do I feel as I will be calling them again in the near future?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.