AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread

786K views 5K replies 872 participants last post by  gregoryperkins 
#1 ·
Just received my new Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver (pre-ordered direct from Pioneer)

Here are a few pics of the exterior:

After spending an hour or so with the unit, I've noticed the following:

Positives
  • Gorgeous GUI for main menu (After Denon AVR1909, this is appreciated!)
  • Very detailed auto-calibration using multiple patterns
  • Very granular adjustments (overall)

Negatives
  • Awful remote
  • Input switching takes longer than Denon it replaced
  • (So far) Don't see any way to control crossover for individual channels

Although it isn't fair to compare the sound of the Denon AVR-1909 and this unit yet as I spent a TON of time calibrating and adjusting the Denon and have only played with this unit an hour, I did notice a few things after the initial auto calibration:
  • MCACC has odd distances for my wall-mounted rear surrounds. They're about 2ft away, but MCACC sees as ~6ft
  • MCACC dials the sub level much lower than Denon's Audyssey
  • A filter of some sort is being applied to LFE channel as the Rythmik F12 sounds very different (lacking detail) than when I used the Denon. This is 110% a setting someplace I just haven't seen.

After going through the manual, I now see there's an Advanced MCACC (Manual) mode that has a TON of adjustments. More importantly, there seem to be some incredible tools at your disposal. I'll be playing with this soon and will post some images/results.

See less See more
#654 ·
Just a quick note - upon re-reading the manual and playing with the receiver further, i can confirm that the 1020 can definitely upscale hdmi sources. For example, I am able to deinterlace my 1080i cable feed.

That said, some of the video options listed in the menu are not visible...can some one else confirm?

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18714163

Just a quick note - upon re-reading the manual and playing with the receiver further, i can confirm that the 1020 can definitely upscale hdmi sources. For example, I am able to deinterlace my 1080i cable feed.

That said, some of the video options listed in the menu are not visible...can some one else confirm?

Yes, it is the same for me. I am using the receiver to deinterlace my directv signal from 1080i to 1080p via hdmi. Also the only video parameter I am able to adjust is resolution when upconverting the hdmi signal. No other video options are available.

#656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18714103

you can edit the name...trying to sort out what button changes input/source audio display...give me some time

For all the reciever can do its amazing what it cant do. It doesnt seem to be able to do this. Honestly thats really my only complaint with this receiver. Some of the things that should be easy to do ended up being quite frustrating.

I wanted to hook my PC up via DVI to HDMI using an optical for audio and the manual was very unclear about how this is done. I finally figured it out.

#657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz /forum/post/18714328

Yes, it is the same for me. I am using the receiver to deinterlace my directv signal from 1080i to 1080p via hdmi. Also the only video parameter I am able to adjust is resolution when upconverting the hdmi signal. No other video options are available.

the manual leads me to believe other video adjustments should be present. if i find an extra hour in the day, i will call pioneer.

#658 ·
Maybe someone can shed some light on Dolby Prologic IIz with this receiver. I'm looking into expanding my 5.1 setup to 7.1 plus the 2 height speakers, so essentially a 9.1 setup. After reading up on Prologic IIz it seems to incorporate all of the features of Prologic IIx. So it should be able to take a 5.1 signal and expand it to 7.1 plus the two heights (9.1). The manual shows that this is the default configuration of the receiver (9.1) so it seems it is possible. My question is, does anyone know the watts the front heights / speaker B channels output when all 7.1 channels are being used also? I know that receiver is rated at 110 watts / 7 channels so what are the height channels rated at? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is the option either 7.1 with front heights and no surrounds, or 7.1 with surrounds and no front height speakers?

Is anyone currently running a 9.1 setup? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm just trying to find out if a 9.1 setup is supported before I bought 4 additional speakers. Thanks in advance!

#659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz /forum/post/18715000

Maybe someone can shed some light on Dolby Prologic IIz with this receiver. I'm looking into expanding my 5.1 setup to 7.1 plus the 2 height speakers, so essentially a 9.1 setup. After reading up on Prologic IIz it seems to incorporate all of the features of Prologic IIx. So it should be able to take a 5.1 signal and expand it to 7.1 plus the two heights (9.1). The manual shows that this is the default configuration of the receiver (9.1) so it seems it is possible. My question is, does anyone know the watts the front heights / speaker B channels output when all 7.1 channels are being used also? I know that receiver is rated at 110 watts / 7 channels so what are the height channels rated at? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is the option either 7.1 with front heights and no surrounds, or 7.1 with surrounds and no front height speakers?

Is anyone currently running a 9.1 setup? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm just trying to find out if a 9.1 setup is supported before I bought 4 additional speakers. Thanks in advance!

it's only a 7amp receiver. can't make 9 out of 7.

#660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18715093

it's only a 7amp receiver. can't make 9 out of 7.

That's what I was afraid of. Wonder why the manual has a 9.1 setup as the default. Bummer, kind of misleading. Are you using the height speakers or are you using the wide setup? I'm just wondering if the additional height speakers are worth spending the money on. From the reviews I have read online, the reception to Prologic IIz is mixed.

#661 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz /forum/post/18715000

Is anyone currently running a 9.1 setup? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm just trying to find out if a 9.1 setup is supported before I bought 4 additional speakers.

Yes, I have a 9.1 speaker setup, using front height speakers. Of course, not all 9 speakers can play at once, since there are only 7 amps. When I put the AVR in DPLIIx mode, the back surround speakers play and the front height speakers are silent. When I put the AVR in DPLIIz mode, the back surround speakers are silent and the front height speakers play. I like DPLIIz better, so far.

#662 ·
I seriously dont think its possible to change the display info. All I want is the display to read "Playstation 3" or "Xbox 360" when I play those systems instead of seeing the audio codec.

Hopefully, they will release a firmware update to fix this. The receiver does have a LAN port and USB so updating the firmware is possible.

#663 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18715744

Yes, I have a 9.1 speaker setup, using front height speakers. Of course, not all 9 speakers can play at once, since there are only 7 amps. When I put the AVR in DPLIIx mode, the back surround speakers play and the front height speakers are silent. When I put the AVR in DPLIIz mode, the back surround speakers are silent and the front height speakers play. I like DPLIIz better, so far.

Thanks for the reply! Looks like I will be purchasing a pair of speakers to go the Prologic IIz route. Thanks again. I do have one more question that hopefully someone can answer. I am using a PS3 as my blu-ray player and am sending LPCM to the pioneer. My question is, does the pioneer allow for prologic IIz to be applied to PCM sources? I wasn't able to find an exact answer in the manual. Thanks again.

#664 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 /forum/post/18716492

Hopefully, they will release a firmware update to fix this. The receiver does have a LAN port and USB so updating the firmware is possible.

When I asked in email about firmware updates, Pioneer support said that any firmware updates would have to be done at a service center. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an update enabling user supplied display labels.

#665 ·
^^^

you are a wise man...

#666 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz /forum/post/18716557

My question is, does the pioneer allow for prologic IIz to be applied to PCM sources?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is yes. I've played a few things through it using PS3(slim), and the display shows "PCM" followed by "DDPLIIz Height". I haven't listened to my height speakers to tell if there is actually sound coming from them when using the PS3, and that's why I'm being a little cagey.

#667 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18717390

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is yes. I've played a few things through it using PS3(slim), and the display shows "PCM" followed by "DDPLIIz Height". I haven't listened to my height speakers to tell if there is actually sound coming from them when using the PS3, and that's why I'm being a little cagey.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.

#668 ·
i can't get my Pioneer remote to work with my Xbox 360...? The code 2077 doesn't seem to do anything. I use to have my 1019 to work just fine so i'm wondering if anybody else is having the same issue??

P.s. i have the black xbox just in case it makes a difference...

Thanks!!!

#669 ·
Hi - I've found a couple issues with my internet radio source, and was looking for any help:

1. I am able to play any of the stations that came with the 1020, but when I try to add others (via my laptop), I normally get "Connection NG" (no good). I think I've tried adding about 6-7, and I've only succeeded with 2. I've tried adding ones with pls or asx - seems to not make a difference.

2. Many times I am listening to a station and all of a sudden it stops. This happened repeatedly outside (speaker b) but i was just able to duplicate it on speaker a also. the display on the receiver continues to scroll with the name of the station, just no music. I tried flipping between speaker a,speaker b, a+b, etc. - no dice. when i go back to the list, and select the same station - it starts again.

any ideas? i connect via at&t dsl modem - not the fastest, but still decent speed. I am able to connect via my laptop and either media player or Itunes to every one of those same stations (same URL also), so I know it's the right URL.

Help! Thanks in advance.

#670 ·
Just picked up the 1020 last week. it replaced a 917. so far its pretty good and does everything i wanted it to do. still have some tweeking to do and get the deck speakers working correctly, as well as run the cat 5 cable.

i am glad others had difficulty setting up the zone 2 and posted up fixes, should make it a lot easier to get it all up and running.

as far as power, my HT room is 14'-1" and about 12 or 13' wide (the right wall is mostly open to the game room) and its plenty loud and clear. the ipod control is worth it alone. some times i just go down there, set the iphone on shuffle and just relax listening to some good tunes.

now on to make it so i can do that with the deck speakers.

thanks for all the good info!

#672 ·
The internet radio thing was a disappointment. I was hoping I could listen to ESPN radio and not require my PC to be on. Sadly this doesnt appear to be the case.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Anyone know?

Its also totally dumb that Pioneer wouldn't make this thing so that users could modify the display. It kinda sucks seeing the letters "PCM" when playing the PS3.

#673 ·
Hey gang,

Apologies in advance for my rudimentary understanding of all things home theater. Haha. I'm looking for a first setup on a receiver system. I was given two Polk 70s as a Christmas gift last year, and then a Polk CS2 center channel (suggestion to my wife from a friend of hers who knows a lot about audio setups) for my birthday. Unfortunately not having a receiver it made the use of the speakers a bit difficult. Ha!

I'm finally trying to get in gear and get a decent receiver that will have a decent feature set. I'm only looking to use the two 70s and the CS2 center in my initial setup, and if my wife and I move to a larger house in the future I'll look at adding more speakers. My research brought me toward the 1020 and this thread (lots of good info!). The 1020 seems to have a nice feature set at a decent price as well. I wanted to ask about the setup of just three speakers and if that would be a waste (meaning, should I have a true 5.1 setup to start)? I'm sure anything will be better than the TV speakers though. At the same time, I wonder if the speakers will be overkill. My living room isn't huge, but the whole setup might be moving to a new house in a few years so I'm willing to deal with that if so.

I've got a Samsung HLS5087W DLP, a Comcast 8300 DVR (don't ask -- not a Comcast fan but it is what it is), Xbox 360 and an old SD-DVD player. Everything is HDMI except for the SD-DVD player (component).

If I get the 1020, am I correct in that I'll also just need to grab some speaker wire and some banana plugs to connect them all to the receiver? I really enjoy researching when it comes to new electronics, but there are so many different options and choices that I feel like I'd never pull the trigger; I'd just keep researching and never actually make something happen.

Thanks in advance for your opinions! I appreciate it.

#675 ·
Hi,

I'm two weeks into ownership of my 1020-K and so far I'm thinking I'll keep it, but I have a question:

I just connected my new Panny Plasma, and have discovered that when I power off the TV while the receiver is on, the receiver will then power off. When I switch the TV power on, the reciever doesn't come on.

How can I stop the receiver from powering down when I turn off the TV?

thx everyone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.