AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread

786K views 5K replies 872 participants last post by  gregoryperkins 
#1 ·
Just received my new Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver (pre-ordered direct from Pioneer)

Here are a few pics of the exterior:

After spending an hour or so with the unit, I've noticed the following:

Positives
  • Gorgeous GUI for main menu (After Denon AVR1909, this is appreciated!)
  • Very detailed auto-calibration using multiple patterns
  • Very granular adjustments (overall)

Negatives
  • Awful remote
  • Input switching takes longer than Denon it replaced
  • (So far) Don't see any way to control crossover for individual channels

Although it isn't fair to compare the sound of the Denon AVR-1909 and this unit yet as I spent a TON of time calibrating and adjusting the Denon and have only played with this unit an hour, I did notice a few things after the initial auto calibration:
  • MCACC has odd distances for my wall-mounted rear surrounds. They're about 2ft away, but MCACC sees as ~6ft
  • MCACC dials the sub level much lower than Denon's Audyssey
  • A filter of some sort is being applied to LFE channel as the Rythmik F12 sounds very different (lacking detail) than when I used the Denon. This is 110% a setting someplace I just haven't seen.

After going through the manual, I now see there's an Advanced MCACC (Manual) mode that has a TON of adjustments. More importantly, there seem to be some incredible tools at your disposal. I'll be playing with this soon and will post some images/results.

See less See more
#710 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousG /forum/post/18734391

I have this set up with 2 polk 70's and a cs2. When it went thru the test I got sound out of my cs2 but now when I try and play music or watch a movie I don't get any sound out of the cs2, just the 70's. Any suggestions?

Well, that is going to depend on what you are playing and what features are enabled in the receiver. If you are sending a multichannel digital sound source to the receiver it should downmix to the three speakers. If you are only sending a stereo source and don't have PLIIx turned on you will only get sound from the LR speakers.

If dialog in a movie is not coming from the center channel you definitely have something set wrong - mulitichannel soundtracks have most dialog in the center channel.

#712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscheid /forum/post/18717686

Hi - I've found a couple issues with my internet radio source, and was looking for any help:

1. I am able to play any of the stations that came with the 1020, but when I try to add others (via my laptop), I normally get "Connection NG" (no good). I think I've tried adding about 6-7, and I've only succeeded with 2. I've tried adding ones with pls or asx - seems to not make a difference.

any ideas? i connect via at&t dsl modem - not the fastest, but still decent speed. I am able to connect via my laptop and either media player or Itunes to every one of those same stations (same URL also), so I know it's the right URL.

Help! Thanks in advance.

Anybody have any ideas? what types of internet URLs have you been able to successfully connect to? The ones I've entered have trouble connecting... are their only certain types that are valid?

#713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness /forum/post/18735663

Has anyone had luck using dual banana plugs in the back? I'm hesitant to order them, before I've heard that others have used them with success.

If so, which ones?

If only singles, which ones are you using?

I'm using singles, these closed screw ones from monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

They work, and I wouldnt go with anything else.

#714 ·
Am I doing anything wrong if I have to turn the volume on my 1020 up to +2 when I am watching an action movie? Don't get me wrong, at +2 I get very loud sound, but just didn't know if it was unusual to have to go this high. I am only listening through 3 front speakers (all Klipsch Reference and so very efficient) with no sub or rears yet. My room does have 18 ft ceilings and is open on 3 ends and is about 20x14. Does anyone else have to crank the volume this high, especially with such efficient speakers?

#718 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18737461

Those are considered banana plugs? They don't have the typical center bulge of most banana plugs.

]

Yes, they are. They function the same way really.. See the gap in the saw-tooth design- spread slightly wider than the port, they squeeze in to fit snuggly... just like what you are used to using
14awg AQ wire goes in the back instead of middle..

I have a bunch of the ones you pictured on the left too. also have a bag of the even more expensive AQ's that are silver and look like this -

I use these silver ones on the stereo setup in my garage. They are a bit of a bltch...tight fit.

#719 ·
First post. Hi, folks. Found you while researching the VSX-1020-K as a possible upgrade for my system.

Finally sold my classic Sony STR-DA777ES last night so that I could move into the HDMI world, clean up all the cables behind my A/V setup, etc, etc. I'll miss that 50+ lbs monster, but I'm excited to see how this feature-packed Pio fills its footprint, given how much technology has changed since I bought the Sony. I know the Pio won't have the same power that I'm used to, but I've been living in apartments for so long that I've barely tapped what the Sony can do since I've owned it (about 10 years).

I ordered the 1020 last night, right after I sold the Sony, so I should be receiving it in about 3 days. I just cleared out all my now unnecessary component cables, toslink cables, and my HDMI switcher, and now I have a much clearer slot into which I can place the receiver when it arrives!

#720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyc /forum/post/18734505

I know we aren't supposed to talk about prices, but newegg.com has a sale on the VSX-1020-K today; I took advantage.

Can't wait to set it up!

Ditto. I also found a 10% off coupon online, which is why I committed to buying it last night instead of buying it at B&H or elsewhere. Unlike Best Buy and other approved distributors, though, I don't believe New Egg is an authorized distributor, or whatever the term is. I can't remember how exactly this affects service and warranty (and it sure isn't as easy to get repaired this way as walking into your local BB), but I couldn't resist the deal. After the sale of my Sony and some accessories, I'm now barely a hundred bucks out of pocket on the 1020.

If this is TMI on the $ front, someone let me know what to edit, and I'll moderate my post. Thanks!

#721 ·
Hi all, I hope someone can help me. I have a Samsung HDTV hooked up by HDMI to a Comcast HD HDVR cable box and then the Pioneer 1020 hooked up to the cable box with an audio optical cable and a video cable. I cannot see the GUI on the TV. Do I need an HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV or is there a setting on my cable box that needs to be changed?

#722 ·
Newegg. No warranty for 50 bucks off... na-thanks. Don't get me wrong, the egg is great for alot of things. Not Pioneer though. Go too BB-hit the Maggie sup (read- not regular sales people...someone in charge) with an authorized site price. I hit 'm with $430. from buy.com (authorized Pio). He gladly did it. YMMV.

#723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by di828 /forum/post/18737922

Hi all, I hope someone can help me. I have a Samsung HDTV hooked up by HDMI to a Comcast HD HDVR cable box and then the Pioneer 1020 hooked up to the cable box with an audio optical cable and a video cable. I cannot see the GUI on the TV. Do I need an HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV or is there a setting on my cable box that needs to be changed?

It sounds like you have it backwards. You should have a single HDMI cable out from your receiver to your TV. Then connect an HDMI cable from the cable box to the receiver (any of the 6 hdmi in ports). You let the receiver do the video switching for you.

Once you have it hooked up like this, press the 'RECEIVER' button then the 'HOME' button on the Pioneer remote, and the receiver GUI will appear on your TV.

#724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf24 /forum/post/18717796

Just picked up the 1020 last week. it replaced a 917. so far its pretty good and does everything i wanted it to do. still have some tweeking to do and get the deck speakers working correctly, as well as run the cat 5 cable.

i am glad others had difficulty setting up the zone 2 and posted up fixes, should make it a lot easier to get it all up and running.

as far as power, my HT room is 14'-1" and about 12 or 13' wide (the right wall is mostly open to the game room) and its plenty loud and clear. the ipod control is worth it alone. some times i just go down there, set the iphone on shuffle and just relax listening to some good tunes.

now on to make it so i can do that with the deck speakers.

thanks for all the good info!

I read through this because I was having a problem getting my outdoor speakers to work with this receiver, and everyone was saying the 1020-K won't play a digital signal through the B speakers. Well, the 920-K does. The sounds from everything are playing through those B speakers, and they are connected with HDMI cables, not analog cables. I was just listening to music from my cable TV channel lineup.

#725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 /forum/post/18738067

I read through this because I was having a problem getting my outdoor speakers to work with this receiver, and everyone was saying the 1020-K won't play a digital signal through the B speakers. Well, the 920-K does. The sounds from everything are playing through those B speakers, and they are connected with HDMI cables, not analog cables. I was just listening to music from my cable TV channel lineup.

what it means is that if you have sound going through speaker B then you wont be able to have 5.1 or anything like that. Thats how i have mine hooked up. Main speakers are with the tv for the surround, and then speaker b setup is in the back yard by the pool. No need for 5.1 out there haha

#726 ·
anyone have a hard time with your sub not playing very good with this receiver in two channel mode, I did the mcacc setup even adjust the speaker level settings plays great on a hd channel but the lfe doesnt show when watching through a non-hd channel even when you change it to prologic or any of the channel settings it should still be able to play through all the speakers like my old hk did.

#727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by di828 /forum/post/18737922

I would have to ask why you have this hooked up like you do. I have my comcast hd/dvr connect to HDMI input 1 and the out of the 1020 to the TV. That is the beauty of HDMI only one cable needed instead of two. I also have my Sony Blu ray hooked up to the BD input and when i want to watch a DVD all i need to do is switch the 1020 between the HDMI input and the BD input. The TV never needs to come into the picture for switching inputs on it.

There is no setting you can or could make on the cable box, so you most likely need the HDMI output to see the onscreen GUI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.