AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread

786K views 5K replies 872 participants last post by  gregoryperkins 
#1 ·
Just received my new Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver (pre-ordered direct from Pioneer)

Here are a few pics of the exterior:

After spending an hour or so with the unit, I've noticed the following:

Positives
  • Gorgeous GUI for main menu (After Denon AVR1909, this is appreciated!)
  • Very detailed auto-calibration using multiple patterns
  • Very granular adjustments (overall)

Negatives
  • Awful remote
  • Input switching takes longer than Denon it replaced
  • (So far) Don't see any way to control crossover for individual channels

Although it isn't fair to compare the sound of the Denon AVR-1909 and this unit yet as I spent a TON of time calibrating and adjusting the Denon and have only played with this unit an hour, I did notice a few things after the initial auto calibration:
  • MCACC has odd distances for my wall-mounted rear surrounds. They're about 2ft away, but MCACC sees as ~6ft
  • MCACC dials the sub level much lower than Denon's Audyssey
  • A filter of some sort is being applied to LFE channel as the Rythmik F12 sounds very different (lacking detail) than when I used the Denon. This is 110% a setting someplace I just haven't seen.

After going through the manual, I now see there's an Advanced MCACC (Manual) mode that has a TON of adjustments. More importantly, there seem to be some incredible tools at your disposal. I'll be playing with this soon and will post some images/results.

See less See more
#728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn /forum/post/18738257

what it means is that if you have sound going through speaker B then you wont be able to have 5.1 or anything like that. Thats how i have mine hooked up. Main speakers are with the tv for the surround, and then speaker b setup is in the back yard by the pool. No need for 5.1 out there haha

That's fine with me. I don't need 5.1 when I am playing music for a party. I just wanted to have it playing on the deck in the back yard so I wouldn't have to leave a door or window open in the house and let all the hot Florida air in. The Yamaha outdoor speakers sound great and I am happy I can play whatever I want through those speakers!

#729 ·
I am having an issue with the menu system on my 1020. When I press the receiver button and naviate into the sub directories, then simply push an input ( say TV or DVD, etc.), the menu freezes and I have to restart the unit. I have found that if I backtrack out of receiver sub menus to the root directory, I am able to then press TV or DVD inputs without lockups. Do I have a bad unit or is this a known bug?

#732 ·
Hi,

I've had my Denon AVR-2807 for a number of years now (since shortly after it was released), thanks to guidance from this board. I wouldn't be looking for a new receiver except for the fact that my video (HDMI or Component Video to my 1080i Sony TV) receiver has started dropping out more and more. At first I thought it was the cable, but now I'm pretty well convinced that it is not. I'd like to replace it with something that will allow me to update my other components at a future date, so I'm not looking to simply match the units I have now. I presently only have a 1080i TV, but eventually would like to get 1080p (I doubt I'll get 3D, but who knows).

My current components are:

TV - Sony TV (KF-50WE610)

CD/DVD changer - Sony DVD (DVP-NC665P)

TiVo Series 3 (TCD-648250B)

PS3

Wii

Infinity bookshelf front & center speakers. Polk bookshelf rear. Velodyne 12" subwoofer

PS3, Tivo, and Wii are connected to my gigabit LAN, including an Ubuntu Server running TwonkeyMedia server and Slim Server, and a Mac running NullRiver Media Server.

I'm looking at this Pioneer unit (VSX-1020K) or the Denon 791 at this point. I'm really, really confused. I need to move quickly as the TV is pretty much unusable at present. I've also found very little information on just what the ethernet connectivity of this unit is useful for.

Please help!! Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

= Ed =

#733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla /forum/post/18742093

I need to move quickly as the TV is pretty much unusable at present. I've also found very little information on just what the ethernet connectivity of this unit is useful for.

I suggest you check to see whether your current receiver is causing your difficulties by taking it out of the circuit -- plug your various sources directly into your TV, and if the problems go away, you'll have evidence the receiver is really at fault (unless its a cable connection).

The internet connection of the 1020 seems to be of no use other than for internet radio. The 1020 will not be a client for your Twonky DLNA server.

Otherwise, I think the 1020 will handle all the devices you mention.

#734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18742964

I suggest you check to see whether your current receiver is causing your difficulties by taking it out of the circuit -- plug your various sources directly into your TV, and if the problems go away, you'll have evidence the receiver is really at fault (unless its a cable connection).

The internet connection of the 1020 seems to be of no use other than for internet radio. The 1020 will not be a client for your Twonky DLNA server.

Otherwise, I think the 1020 will handle all the devices you mention.

Thanks for the response Greg. That's a good point, though I have been pretty sure it was the receiver. That's because I can still see video on the TV OTA (static as we have no local stations where I live). However, your point is well taken as it could well be the input stage of the TV.

If it's the TV, I might have a chance of getting it repaired. I will check this as soon as I see the video crap out on me again. If I have to buy a new TV, I would only consider a 1080P capable TV, and the 2807 only supports 1080i
I certainly don't want to have to buy two new components!!

Thanks again.

= Ed =

#735 ·
Merrick97

Quote:
The internet radio thing was a disappointment. I was hoping I could listen to ESPN radio and not require my PC to be on. Sadly this doesnt appear to be the case.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Anyone know?

If you go to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247904 , it has links to sites that contain ESPN for cerain areas. I was able to find ESPN Dallas and was able to add it to my radio stations.

#736 ·
I got my VSX-1020-K for my birthday. Almost bought 1019 months ago and waited.

First impression is my wife will hate the remote.

The iPhone interface is very cool.

Book is not very good. Limited real world example hook ups.

Biggest disappointment so far is that I hooked up everything with HDMI except the Wii of course which only supports component at best. Only the tuner and the sound from the Wii can be sent to Zone 2. Not the sound from TV/Sat, BD, DVD or any HDMI device. I wanted to be able to send the audio from "any" source to Zone 2, not likely to send video. What is the point of Zone 2 if some Pioneer engineer/lawyer interpreted the HDMI rules to ban sending even the audio portion to two analog pre-amp outs for Zone 2. Very lame. Why go to the trouble of a Zone 2 feature if it is not complete?

#737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_s1520 /forum/post/18722374

Does anyone know if this model has the ability to display the OSD over Component?

Have you considered an HDMI-to-component cable/adapter? I'm NOT SURE this would work, but they do exist and it might solve your problem (might have solved your problem with the TX-SR608, too, but I assume you sent that back already).

#738 ·
If I have a Samsung BDP-1500 and this receiver ( using HDMI) should I set the BD player to Bitstream Audiophile? I tried PCM and it sounded very flat for DolbyHD and DTS-HD.

I should note that I have the Pioneer 1020k receiver which can receive all new formats and testing this with The Dark Knight (Bluray) and Iron Man (Bluray)

#740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marax /forum/post/18746661

Guys,

does this receiver has a standby pass-through feature thought HDMI ? If yes,can I choose a source for pass-through ? or it just pass the last input used before putting it in standby (Just as Onkyo 608)

thanks

I asked the same question earlier in this thread, and the answer received (from someone who actually owns the unit and tried it) is that no, it does not pass-through in standby.

I thought this was a deal breaker, but now I'm considering that I might just get a universal remote like the Harmony 700 or URC R50. The only reason I wanted standby passthrough was so my wife didn't have to go through multiple steps to watch something (she doesn't care about sound through the speakers and just wants to be able to adjust the sound without hitting lots of buttons). But if I were to set up one of those remotes, it would still be a single power on button, and then she would just be adjusting the sound through the receiver rather than the TV, but she wouldn't have to hit any extra buttons or switches to do so.

#741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 /forum/post/18746954

I asked the same question earlier in this thread, and the answer received (from someone who actually owns the unit and tried it) is that no, it does not pass-through in standby.

I thought this was a deal breaker, but now I'm considering that I might just get a universal remote like the Harmony 700 or URC R50. The only reason I wanted standby passthrough was so my wife didn't have to go through multiple steps to watch something (she doesn't care about sound through the speakers and just wants to be able to adjust the sound without hitting lots of buttons). But if I were to set up one of those remotes, it would still be a single power on button, and then she would just be adjusting the sound through the receiver rather than the TV, but she wouldn't have to hit any extra buttons or switches to do so.

I need pass-through because I wanna use the receiver (with splitter of course) in my bedroom, so that means all the equipment with one hdmi cable only in standby of course for the bedroom

I hope maybe 1120 would have that feature.

#742 ·
how can I get music (stereo) to play through all speakers? I was just listening to my ipod (through the ipod interface) and switched through all of the sound settings and nothing ever came through rs/ls. Neural used r/c/l, as did PL/NEO, Stereo settings were stereo only fr/fl. Can all 4 (and sub) play at once?

I really love this receiver and have been working through the "kinks", but most of the time a "kink" is just something in a lower menu that I overlooked. My Harmony 900 accesses all of the functions that i've tried (so far).

#743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankdan /forum/post/18748982

how can I get music (stereo) to play through all speakers?

I believe if you use the Advanced Surround listening mode called "EXT.STEREO", you should hear stereo playback through all speakers. Per the manual on p58:

EXT.STEREO - Gives multichannel sound to a stereo source, using all of your speakers

I've tried this on my unit and can confirm that sound comes through all speakers, even the height channels.

#745 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark95tt /forum/post/18750936

I believe if you use the Advanced Surround listening mode called "EXT.STEREO", you should hear stereo playback through all speakers. Per the manual on p58:

EXT.STEREO - Gives multichannel sound to a stereo source, using all of your speakers

I've tried this on my unit and can confirm that sound comes through all speakers, even the height channels.

Thanks for the info. I'll try as soon as the Warden let's me out of work.

#748 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18751197

was just informed by dealer that the 1120 will not ship until LATE july.

Man, that drives me crazy. The Denon 891 is starting to get more appealing...

#749 ·
I purchased this receiver from Best Buy last week to replace my Sony STR-DE698, the motivation being video switching. I'm going to finally run wiring behind the walls and mount my plasma, and running multiple HDMI and component cables did not make sense.

I am enjoying the receiver greatly so far! I'm trying to set it up in a way that I'm not sure is supported, and would like to hear if anyone has input:

I like to listen to my Airport Express while watching TV, and I've got dual-RCA stereo plugs from the Express into the "CD" input on the receiver. I can't seem to find a way to switch the audio mode without also changing the video signal. I'd like to keep the video on "HDMI 1" but switch the audio to "CD". I believe this would be possible if I use the 2-Zone feature, but I only have 1 set of speakers and, even if I had another pair, would still only use the main surround speakers.

Is this possible? Or is there an audio-only input on the reciever that I'm not aware of?

#751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18751197

was just informed by dealer that the 1120 will not ship until LATE july.

Man the last time I called up Pioneer they said the 1120-K would be released in late June. Now they are saying late JULY! Damn, I cant wait any longer here I've been waiting for months for this AVR to come out. Did you find out why they have pushed it back again???

#752 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnideffer /forum/post/18752120

I purchased this receiver from Best Buy last week to replace my Sony STR-DE698, the motivation being video switching. I'm going to finally run wiring behind the walls and mount my plasma, and running multiple HDMI and component cables did not make sense.

I am enjoying the receiver greatly so far! I'm trying to set it up in a way that I'm not sure is supported, and would like to hear if anyone has input:

I like to listen to my Airport Express while watching TV, and I've got dual-RCA stereo plugs from the Express into the "CD" input on the receiver. I can't seem to find a way to switch the audio mode without also changing the video signal. I'd like to keep the video on "HDMI 1" but switch the audio to "CD". I believe this would be possible if I use the 2-Zone feature, but I only have 1 set of speakers and, even if I had another pair, would still only use the main surround speakers.

Is this possible? Or is there an audio-only input on the reciever that I'm not aware of?

I believe that you can assign a separate audio source to HDMI1. Perhaps this would do the trick? Also, you could use a toslink cable to get the airport to the fiber optic input - then when on HDMI you would just need to switch audio input modes... hope this helps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.