AVS Forum banner
186K views 620 replies 207 participants last post by  ChromeJob 
#1 ·
Two new models are up on Yamaha's web site. The 467 and 567 ( I consider the 367 a different platform as it's cabinet size is different.) The main addition from last year's line is HDMI 1.4 with support for 3D.

RX-V567 Rated power

7.1; 90 Watts / Channel; .9% THD at 1 khz

Power Consumption - 270 Watts

Weight - 18.7 pounds

RX-V467 Rated power

5.1; 105 Watts / Channel; .9% THD at 1 khz

Power Consumption - 270 Watts

Weight - 18.5 pounds

What's up with those power specs?

The 467 has a higher power spec, because it's 5.1 only. It's power supply is almost certainly identical to the 567.

No 20 hz to 20 khz power consumption spec is given. A guess is that these power figures can be met only with two channels driven.

Expect sub 50 watt / channel performance with all channels driven.

These receivers will be ok for many people's power needs. Don't expect to be able to play cleanly at high volumes. And use efficient 8 ohm speakers if at all possible. (This is nothing new when dealing with receivers in this class.)

Common Main Features

* 4 HDMI 1.4 Inputs

* Decoding for all common codecs ( TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.)

* 5 AV inputs ( composite)

* Two digital; two coax inputs

* Audio return channel

* 2 Component video inputs

* HDMI 3D Support

* Can change inputs in standbye mode! (Nice feature if it works like I expect)

* Auto Power Down (Interesting feature?)

567 Only

* 1080p Upconversion

* OSD (Not 100% sure what this means, I am just reading the comparison chart)

* Can biamp

General thoughts

It's likely they took the previous line and added 1.4 and a few other goodies. The cabinet size, weight and power consumption of the 567 looked practically identical to the 565 for example.

Being able to switch sources in standbye mode, and auto power off looked interested to me. Otherwise, more of the same?

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan67 /forum/post/18672681

Hello , new to the forum, I recently bought the rx-v467 system at BB, in Yamaha site states it is compatible with 1080P , it does looks as 1080 and my TV display function states is passing the 1080 at 60, the problem I encounter was my old speaker system is 100w at 8 ohms , my sub is not preamp , so I don't have deep bass at the time My question for help is if I get a sub with a preamp built on at 100 w at 6 ohms , would that work, is there a setting where I can set that spec of 6 ohms just for the sub

Thanks for the help

You just need to check volume, phase and freq.if the subwoofer already bulit-in a preamp. Just hook up the sub output on your V467 directly.

#29 ·
How are the amps on the 567 compared to the older 661 model? I have a 661 getting fed pcm from the PS3 and it sounds great! Passes 1080p without fail. I just wanted a new Yamaha that upconverts all signals to HDMI so that we can play the wii on the projector. I only have an HDMI going to the PJ right now as I didn't want to look for that long of a component cable. I didn't get the last gen Yamaha because they got poor reviews for amp power. Thanks

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster72 /forum/post/18613778

well, unfortunately im already planning on returning the 467.

hooked up a samsung blu ray after returning an LG that had issues playing blu rays. video/audio woudl hiccup every 10 seconds or so. the samsung did the same. after connecting straight to the tv i noticed its the receiver. and it only hiccups when streaming 1080p at 60fps. if i drop to 24fps, all is well.

spoke to yamaha and they were of no help whatsoever, to the point of being very frustrating. no firmware udpates for months they say. which seems reasonable as it just came out. my fault for buying an untested product. suckin. probably going to step up and buy a real receiver i guess.

i bought from amazon, not sure what to do now. but this wont do.

I just bout a 467, what kind of hiccups you are talking about ? what it does or what it did , how do you manage the setting for the 1080p 60fps to drop to 24fps are you doing this with the receiver or with your TV

just want to know ,because mine so far it looks great all HDMI connected PS3 and dish , HDMI out to TV, not sure if I'm missing something or I may be blind

Thanks

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe /forum/post/18674695

How are the amps on the 567 compared to the older 661 model? I have a 661 getting fed pcm from the PS3 and it sounds great! Passes 1080p without fail. I just wanted a new Yamaha that upconverts all signals to HDMI so that we can play the wii on the projector. I only have an HDMI going to the PJ right now as I didn't want to look for that long of a component cable. I didn't get the last gen Yamaha because they got poor reviews for amp power. Thanks

If you compare the weight, and power consumption from the manual to the prior models in the same price category, I believe you will see no evidence of improved power.

You would have to step up the ?67, which is whatever receiver will come out this fall, and put out more power than the current 665 and related models.

The 765 is the current "step up" model in terms of power, as I recall. You can see this by comparing cabinet sizes, weights, and power consumption in the current x65 line. I posted a thread on that once, I will see if I can find it.

#32 ·
The 567 consumes 270 watts, weighs 18.7 lbs.

The 665 consumes 270 watts, weighs 18.7 lbs.

The 765 consumes 400 watts, weighs 24.3 lbs.

The 765 would be the way to go if you want more power. It can be had every Saturday from Newegg for less than $400. Plus it has preouts for an external amp if you ever need more power. The 567 doesn't give you that option.

#33 ·
Folks, when I see rear view of the 467 and 567, there is a "audio out" with spereate L & R channels beneath the speaker connectors. When using HDMI as audio source can these be used for connecting to an external Headphone amplifier? There wont be any speaker connected to the main speaker connectors. Thx

#34 ·
According to the manual, the audio out jacks you are talking about only send audio from analog inputs. So they won't work like you want.

Looks like you would need to wait for the fall release for real pre outs, or find another solution (such as using a speaker to line level converter.)

#35 ·
on 467 model there is an option to change the frequency of speakers , but not independently , I need to get a sub with a preamp built on, my budget is minimal I'm looking at a Sony at 100w at 6 ohms. My question is can I use this set up, when the rest of speakers are 100w 8ohms, leaving the receiver set at 8ohms since the rest of speakers are 8ohms,would it work , will it damage anything, any help would be really really appreciated.

Thanks for help

#37 ·
#38 ·

Quote:

well, unfortunately im already planning on returning the 467.

hooked up a samsung blu ray after returning an LG that had issues playing blu rays. video/audio woudl hiccup every 10 seconds or so. the samsung did the same. after connecting straight to the tv i noticed its the receiver. and it only hiccups when streaming 1080p at 60fps. if i drop to 24fps, all is well.

spoke to yamaha and they were of no help whatsoever, to the point of being very frustrating. no firmware udpates for months they say. which seems reasonable as it just came out. my fault for buying an untested product. suckin. probably going to step up and buy a real receiver i guess.

i bought from amazon, not sure what to do now. but this wont do.

I checked the manual online and the receiver claims compatibility with 1080p at 24Hz, and 60 Hz so I would think that the 467 should play 1080p and 60 fps. What television are you using?

Mark

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcfadden /forum/post/18740484

The Yamaha needs to have the firmware upgraded to play 3D, and the firmware upgrade was just released by Yamaha.

... But I can't find my way through Yamaha's convoluted firmware upgrade process.

The process used to be simple when the burning software and the players just left the data alone, but today you have to be a bit careful. Windows media player can be used to burn the disc if you make sure to turn off the option to "apply volume leveling..." (it's in Burn Options). I've used this many times on older Yamahas, and they've kept the same .wav format for the new models.

You might also find this post useful. The disk was burned on a Mac, and played through a PS3. But most CD or DVD players should work as long as they don't change the sampling rate from the original 44.1kHz (if a player has any option to upsample, be sure to turn it off).

Once you get this working I'll be interested to know if the 467 passes 3D as advertised.

#40 ·
I really really need some help, My AV/R supports all the new HD formats on blu rays movies, I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate , my AV/R signal info coming from PS3 is stating PCM 2.0 CH, bitrate and 3lines, then if I look forward on signal info 2/0/0000 or something like that. Does this mean that is not decoding or passing the actual DD TRUE HD, or DTS HD MASTER fom the movies , which is the reason I got this model , is there any way I can solve this problem. What would happen if I use optical out on PS3 to receiver would it be sending PCM signal also . Need help ASAP please , please

my speakers are kenwood 8 ohms 100w 5.1 , also not sure if this matters I do not have a sub connected yer

Thanks for your help and time

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan67 /forum/post/18745065

I really really need some help, My AV/R supports all the new HD formats on blu rays movies, I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate , my AV/R signal info coming from PS3 is stating PCM 2.0 CH, bitrate and 3lines, then if I look forward on signal info 2/0/0000 or something like that. Does this mean that is not decoding or passing the actual DD TRUE HD, or DTS HD MASTER fom the movies , which is the reason I got this model , is there any way I can solve this problem. What would happen if I use optical out on PS3 to receiver would it be sending PCM signal also . Need help ASAP please , please

my speakers are kenwood 8 ohms 100w 5.1 , also not sure if this matters I do not have a sub connected yer

Thanks for your help and time

The PS3 can only send LPCM (already decoded DTS MA or Dolby True HD) not HD audio in bitstream format and as a result purchasing a receiver that can internally decode HD audio is not neccessary. Using optical out would limit the audio to DTS or Dolby Digital.

Mark

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith /forum/post/18745861

The PS3 can only send LPCM (already decoded DTS MA or Dolby True HD) not HD audio in bitstream format and as a result purchasing a receiver that can internally decode HD audio is not neccessary. Using optical out would limit the audio to DTS or Dolby Digital.

Mark

Hi Mark, it depends which PS3 the OP has, PS3 Phat (set to LPCM) or PS3 Slim (set to Bitstream or LPCM).

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith /forum/post/18745861

Mark

Ok thanks, one last question if LPCM is decoding the HD formats why I get on the receiver display that is only 2 channels instead 5.1 , and sows PCM instead DD OR DTS, when i change the setting on PS3 for the BD/DVD to bit stream the receiver shows all channels and DTS or DD, would that make a difference in sound quality

Thanks

I also read this info on the PS3 thread -Thus, to get the full advantage from the superior performance from the high resolution audio formats offered on BD, as compared to DVD, you must connect your PS3 to an AVR that has HDMI inputs. If you are using one of the orginal models of the PS3 (i.e., not the PS3 Slim) then the AVR must accept multichannel LPCM via a HDMI input (most AVRs that have HDMI inputs can do this except for a very few low-end models)

Does this means my receiver is not accepting LPCM signal

Thanks again

#45 ·
Bought the 467 over the weekend to replace an old freebee Pioneer VSX-D608 with a lost remote. Just upgraded the firmware without a hitch. I'm still using an LG 30" CRT that is 1080i so can't comment on the 1080p problem. So far so good - and sounds good with my Klipsch Reference IV's (RF-62s, RC-62s, RS-52s) and Sub12 powered subwoofer.

Aztlan67 - make sure in one of the HDMI menu settings on the receiver you don't have it set to AMP + TV. For some reason I did and I was also stuck in two channel mode. Think I changed it to just AMP and finally got DTS-HD Master Audio back.

David

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsettlemoir /forum/post/18749459

Bought the 467 over the weekend to replace an old freebee Pioneer VSX-D608 with a lost remote. Just upgraded the firmware without a hitch. I'm still using an LG 30" CRT that is 1080i so can't comment on the 1080p problem. So far so good - and sounds good with my Klipsch Reference IV's (RF-62s, RC-62s, RS-52s) and Sub12 powered subwoofer.

Aztlan67 - make sure in one of the HDMI menu settings on the receiver you don't have it set to AMP + TV. For some reason I did and I was also stuck in two channel mode. Think I changed it to just AMP and finally got DTS-HD Master Audio back.

David

dsettlemoir R U using a PS3 as a player? , how exactly is your set up for HDMI

on your receiver, is your display showing DTS-HD or PCM with multiple channels showing

Thanks

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan67 /forum/post/18745065

I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate ,

Did you also go into the PS3 Video Settings under "BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" and set it to Linear PCM? (if not do that also)

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan67 /forum/post/18746747

Ok thanks, one last question if LPCM is decoding the HD formats why I get on the receiver display that is only 2 channels instead 5.1 , and sows PCM instead DD OR DTS, when i change the setting on PS3 for the BD/DVD to bit stream the receiver shows all channels and DTS or DD, would that make a difference in sound quality

Thanks

I also read this info on the PS3 thread -Thus, to get the full advantage from the superior performance from the high resolution audio formats offered on BD, as compared to DVD, you must connect your PS3 to an AVR that has HDMI inputs. If you are using one of the orginal models of the PS3 (i.e., not the PS3 Slim) then the AVR must accept multichannel LPCM via a HDMI input (most AVRs that have HDMI inputs can do this except for a very few low-end models)

Does this means my receiver is not accepting LPCM signal

Thanks again

LPCM is HD audio already decoded by the PS3 (in your case). Likely your receiver would show PCM, MPCM or LPCM on the front panel not DTS MA or Dolby True HD as these indicators usually only illuminate when the receiver is doing the decoding of the signal. If the receiver says PCM and all channels are active in straight mode then you are receiving HD audio as you want to be. If your receiever shows PCM and only 2 channels are active in straight mode your PS3 needs settings changed.

Mark

#49 ·

Quote:

hooked up a samsung blu ray after returning an LG that had issues playing blu rays. video/audio woudl hiccup every 10 seconds or so. the samsung did the same. after connecting straight to the tv i noticed its the receiver. and it only hiccups when streaming 1080p at 60fps. if i drop to 24fps, all is well. .

Have you tried a higher guage HDMI cable??

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith /forum/post/18750668

LPCM is HD audio already decoded by the PS3 (in your case). Likely your receiver would show PCM, MPCM or LPCM on the front panel not DTS MA or Dolby True HD as these indicators usually only illuminate when the receiver is doing the decoding of the signal. If the receiver says PCM and all channels are active in straight mode then you are receiving HD audio as you want to be. If your receiever shows PCM and only 2 channels are active in straight mode your PS3 needs settings changed.

Mark

Mark you have been great helping me to understand all this new terms , finally I got it, is working awesome.

Thanks everybody , probably will be back asking more questions on other issues if they come up