AVS Forum banner

Where do you buy velvet online for DIY masking?

10K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  fight4yu 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I went to Joann Fabrics this weekend in the hope to start my DIY masking project (two simple 8' long foam boards wrapped in velvet to friction fit to my existing Elite screen). However, the cheapest I could find was $27/yard and I need about 6 yards. Can anyone recommend an online retailer that has cheaper black velvet? Was thinking paying more like $5/yd.

Cheers.

#3 ·
Fabric stores almost ALWAYS have coupons in the paper that will cut the price by at least 50%. Other than that, I would follow Art's advice and go check out the construction forum.

#4 ·
You can usually go to joann's website and print up a 40-50% percent off coupon or as suggested their print ad will usually have one as well.

online the price seems to be about the same and then you have shipping.
http://www.bymichelle.com/fidelio.html

#11 ·
Thanks all - looks like syfabrics is the popular bet. I will order some from them.

Thanks again.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18758444

Joannes is handing out 50% off coupons on and one item starting next Sunday. I took it to Hancock's today and they honored it on JB Martin Fidelio Black velvet. Regularly $24.95 yd.

I could not find the Fidelio velvet on Hancock's website. Which store did you get it from? The only place I can find it is on bymichelles.com. I need 9 yards of it, so the 50% coupon will be big saving for me. Has Joann stopped carrying Fidelio velvet?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunker /forum/post/18730751

Why not just buy it here?

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

Numerous posts about this material, all good results from what I remember.

Is this material pretty solid? As in could it be used for curtains and block out light? I have blackout shades on all my windows, but i need decorative velvet to make the curtains out of, but it still needs to be pretty opaque because there is still some light bleed around the edges of the blackout shades.

*Edit

I just saw and option for ordering a swatch for $1.00 so i think ill do that and test it out myself.

#16 ·
Sorry if this this considered OT: Has anyone used black car carpet for masking? I am currently using it as side wall light control and this stuff is a total light sponge. When used in large areas, not only does it absorb light, it also provides a neat acoustic enhancement as well. Basically I have no slap echoes at the screen end of my room, so the only 'echo' I hear are those in the sound mix. Affordable too.

#17 ·
Guys,

I am also planning to apply some masking to my sidewall, but I want it "removable" as my wife won't allow me to put it up permanently

I am not really hands-on on tools, any idea what's the easiest way to do the masking? Will it be using fabric or the black car carpet?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.