AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread

751K views 5K replies 906 participants last post by  bmurray716 
#1 ·
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

See less See more
#4,162 ·
I'm not sure if the issue is with the unit itself or my 360 elite.

Symptoms:

The unit will cycle its input. I've set it to movie mode for the input that the 360 is connected to via TOS cable and its like its losing its connection every so often, the display will cycle really fast from stero (like the xbox isnt on or is just powering on) to the movie mode that I've selected for the input.

It does this while in the xbox 360 dash board.

EDIT:

Fixed my own issue, changed from HDMI to component on the SAT reciever last night because I wasnt getting SD audio through HDMI like HD audio without changing inputs every time, and knocked the tos cable for the 360 lose.

#4,163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Craven /forum/post/18787578

I'm not sure if the issue is with the unit itself or my 360 elite.

Symptoms:

The unit will cycle its input. I've set it to movie mode for the input that the 360 is connected to via TOS cable and its like its losing its connection every so often, the display will cycle really fast from stero (like the xbox isnt on or is just powering on) to the movie mode that I've selected for the input.

It does this while in the xbox 360 dash board.

EDIT:

Fixed my own issue, changed from HDMI to component on the SAT reciever last night because I wasnt getting SD audio through HDMI like HD audio without changing inputs every time, and knocked the tos cable for the 360 lose.

Riley Craven,

Glad to hear you resolved your issue.

#4,164 ·
Hi Folks,

I just recently updated my home theatre setup and am having a few issues that I was hoping you could help with. I've had a look through some of the thread already and haven't found anything that answers things, but it's huge, so my apologies if I've missed any of these that were answered already.

I have the following issues with the receiver (all started happening straight out of the box), could anyone offer any advice?
  1. When turning on the AVR & components, it usually switches from whatever I've selected (i.e. xbox or foxtel) to another input (usually wii, which is turned off). Even when I change back to my chosen input, it will switch a couple more times before finally settling for what I've chosen. This is extremely frustrating
  2. The sound quality coming out of the PS3 when playing Blu Rays is, quite frankly, balls... Games seem to be ok, but BR's are very soft and you constantly have to keep juggling the volume level to hear conversations and then turning back down again for action. To be fair, I did have this problem with my old AVR, an Onkyo, and have not yet figured it out. It's currently set to PCM.
  3. The AVR will not pass through 1080P video. Every time I change the xbox or PS3 to 1080P output, the TV comes up with a "mode not supported" message. I thought it was the TV and had the Samsung guy out but it is definitely a receiver issue, as when the consoles are plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, both do 1080P with no problems.
  4. When playing PS3 games, there are often white flickers on the screen during dark or black screens, followed by white flickering lines and occasionally, a full screen of static. This doesn't happen all the time though and I haven't yet been able to pinpoint an apparent trigger. Recently I've started having the problem with the xbox as well.
  5. There is no sound when trying to view preview videos or play game demos on the xbox. Once you hit play or load a demo, the little speaker icons on the AVR's LCD go dark and you get no audio. Video is fine though. As soon as I go back to the dashboard, the speaker icons come back and audio is fine again.

Sorry for the novel, but as you can imagine, after blowing over $5000 on a new setup, I'm a little frustrated with all this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My setup is:

Samsung PS58B850 58" Plasma

Pioneer VSX-1019AH

Xbox 360 Elite

PS3 80GB (old style)

Wii

Foxtel IQ2 (Aussie cable TV box)

LG 250GB HDD DVD Recorder

Samsung HD set top box

Onkyo Speakers: FL-C-FR-RL-RR-SW (from my old Onkyo HTIB pack)

Xbox / PS3 / Foxtel / Samsung box --> AVR via HDMI

LG DVD / Wii --> AVR via Component & Optical

AVR --> TV via HDMI

#4,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebrad79 /forum/post/18801142

Hi Folks,

I just recently updated my home theatre setup and am having a few issues that I was hoping you could help with. I've had a look through some of the thread already and haven't found anything that answers things, but it's huge, so my apologies if I've missed any of these that were answered already.

I have the following issues with the receiver (all started happening straight out of the box), could anyone offer any advice?

1. When turning on the AVR & components, it usually switches from whatever I've selected (i.e. xbox or foxtel) to another input (usually wii, which is turned off). Even when I change back to my chosen input, it will switch a couple more times before finally settling for what I've chosen. This is extremely frustrating

1. Hi Aussiebrad79, go into your Tv menu setting and check if HDMI-CEC feature is turned On (Samsung HDMI-CEC feature is call AnyNet+). If this is turned On, disable this feature.

#4,166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebrad79 /forum/post/18801142

Hi Folks,

Sorry to hear your having troubles. I don't own xbox or ps3, but I would suggest also visiting their respective forums to see if anyone else is having similar issue. Same with the Samsung plasma. Regarding the quality of the sound, I would recommend upgrading your speakers as htib will limit your listening experience. Start with center channel as this is where the dialog is mainly concentrated, then fronts, sub and surrounds. Regarding your first issue, jchin has already provided the same suggestion that I was thinking about, and that is turn off all HDMI control features on your equipment (on the 1019 it is called kuro link).

#4,167 ·
Sorry if this is a beginner's question, but the owner's manual is totally incomprehensible. How should I hook up the Pioneer to my Samsung TV to get the MCACC video to display on the screen. Can I use HDMI or do I need to use component/composite. I did the set up when I first got it a year or so ago, but I need to rerun it and I can't remember how I got the video to display and spent way to much time this weekend trying to get it to work. I have cable box to TV HDMI-1 and have Blu-ray to AVR via HDMI and AVR HDMI-out to TV HDMI-2. Thanks for your help.

#4,168 ·
Hi all,

First time post here ... I own an australian version of 1019 which is only a couple of months old and has firmware 1.053. Noticed on the thread that Hkan have provided you all with the 1.056 firmware, so could anyone tell me the difference/fixes in 1.056 compared to 1.053? Thanks in advance!

#4,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny T-100 /forum/post/18805248

Sorry if this is a beginner's question, but the owner's manual is totally incomprehensible. How should I hook up the Pioneer to my Samsung TV to get the MCACC video to display on the screen. Can I use HDMI or do I need to use component/composite. I did the set up when I first got it a year or so ago, but I need to rerun it and I can't remember how I got the video to display and spent way to much time this weekend trying to get it to work. I have cable box to TV HDMI-1 and have Blu-ray to AVR via HDMI and AVR HDMI-out to TV HDMI-2. Thanks for your help.

Just ran MCACC this weekend. I put all my sources through the receiver and then go from receiver to TV via HDMI. Seems like your only connection from receiver to your TV is to HDMI-2. I would set the TV input to HDMI2 when you run MCACC.

Btw - why do you run the cable box direct to TV and not through the receiver?

#4,170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_slamat /forum/post/18805468

Hi all,

...so could anyone tell me the difference/fixes in 1.056 compared to 1.053?

AFAIK, firmware changelog history isn't published by Pioneer. Anyway, it's assumed newer firmware corrects/improves "something" -thus, upgrade

You can find firmware v1.056 on Hkan's page (link on his every post "PioneerFAQ").

Big thank you, Hkan

Bogdan

#4,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny T-100 /forum/post/18805248

No big deal. Just hit the "receiver" button (bottom one), then the home menu button (picture of little house). Your setup should work. Just make sure the tv and receiver are both on
and make sure your on HDMI-2 on your tv.

By the way here is the official MCACC which contains lots of good info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

#4,172 ·
What input should the receiver be set to? When I set it to "BD" the TV shows the Blu-ray splash screen and when I set it to anything else, there's a box in the middle of the TV that says either "No signal" or "Searching for signal". Do I need to disconnect the HDMI cable from the blu-ray player to the AVS?

#4,173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18805030

Sorry to hear your having troubles. I don't own xbox or ps3, but I would suggest also visiting their respective forums to see if anyone else is having similar issue. Same with the Samsung plasma. Regarding the quality of the sound, I would recommend upgrading your speakers as htib will limit your listening experience. Start with center channel as this is where the dialog is mainly concentrated, then fronts, sub and surrounds. Regarding your first issue, jchin has already provided the same suggestion that I was thinking about, and that is turn off all HDMI control features on your equipment (on the 1019 it is called kuro link).

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Will have a go at making sure all HDMI control is off when I return from work on Wednesday and let you know how it goes.

Unfortunately, I won't be replacing my speakers for a while as I've gone as far as I could afford with the new setup at the moment. To be honest, I really don't think it's a speaker issue anyway, as on the whole the sound coming out of these speakers with the Pioneer is far better than the old Onkyo AVR ever did. It's just that the issues are frustrating after spending so much money on it all.

#4,174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny T-100 /forum/post/18806970

What input should the receiver be set to? When I set it to "BD" the TV shows the Blu-ray splash screen and when I set it to anything else, there's a box in the middle of the TV that says either "No signal" or "Searching for signal". Do I need to disconnect the HDMI cable from the blu-ray player to the AVS?

It shouldn't make any difference what input you are on when accessing the MCACC. What happened when you hit the receiver button then the home menu button? You should not have to disconnect the bd.

#4,175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebrad79 /forum/post/18807249

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Will have a go at making sure all HDMI control is off when I return from work on Wednesday and let you know how it goes.

Unfortunately, I won't be replacing my speakers for a while as I've gone as far as I could afford with the new setup at the moment. To be honest, I really don't think it's a speaker issue anyway, as on the whole the sound coming out of these speakers with the Pioneer is far better than the old Onkyo AVR ever did. It's just that the issues are frustrating after spending so much money on it all.

No worry. The speaker thing can just be on your wish list
There are other things you can try to bring out the dialog such as the dialog enhancement under audio options. Another is palying around with the eq settings. Under eq you could bump up the frequencies that are associated with the dialog. You'll have to do some research as to which ones as I don't know off the top of my head. Others have also fiddled around with the treble/bass and the loudness/midnight settings to bring out the dialog. But honestly, IMHO the center speaker is the limiting factor here. Glad to hear that you are at least getting better sound out of it. One last thing, have you run MCACC? This is critical to getting a balanced sound field from your system. See the MCACC thread on how to get the most of that program as it is really one of the big features of the avr.

#4,176 ·
Just upgraded to the new mac-mini 2010 HDMI model. Am I missing something or does this thing just pass straight PCM with no way for me to apply any surround sound processing? All speaker lights are lit, PCM is displayed, but it is only 2 channel (L and R speakers only). I figured out how to pass DD through the DVD player already, but for other sources, (Hulu, quicktime files, youtube, divix web), I am limited to stereo PCM only. Any help is appreciated.

#4,177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithbass /forum/post/18811472

Just upgraded to the new mac-mini 2010 HDMI model. Am I missing something or does this thing just pass straight PCM with no way for me to apply any surround sound processing? All speaker lights are lit, PCM is displayed, but it is only 2 channel (L and R speakers only). I figured out how to pass DD through the DVD player already, but for other sources, (Hulu, quicktime files, youtube, divix web), I am limited to stereo PCM only. Any help is appreciated.

Check this post out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16559686

I know its not the same source device as yours but I believe it is the same thing going on. The reason your getting the PCM light is because the mac-mini is doing the decoding of the signal and sending that to the avr.

#4,178 ·
I think thats the answer bmurray716. The next question is, can the new macmini bitstream thru HDMI, or am I stuck using HDMI for video and mini optical for audio so I can, at least, apply surround processing to 2 channel audio sources. (like hulu and most other web video) This seems a little shortsighted of Apple. What exactly was the point of giving us HDMI out if the macmini was going to do all the audio processing and spit out PCM that is useless to most all receivers?

#4,179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18809790

It shouldn't make any difference what input you are on when accessing the MCACC. What happened when you hit the receiver button then the home menu button? You should not have to disconnect the bd.

bmurray716 - thanks for the help. I was pressing the home menu button and nothing was happening, but when I pressed the receiver button first, it worked great. Thanks again.

#4,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny T-100 /forum/post/18814637

bmurray716 - thanks for the help. I was pressing the home menu button and nothing was happening, but when I pressed the receiver button first, it worked great. Thanks again.

Glad to here you issue is resolved.

#4,181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithbass /forum/post/18812574

I think thats the answer bmurray716. The next question is, can the new macmini bitstream thru HDMI, or am I stuck using HDMI for video and mini optical for audio so I can, at least, apply surround processing to 2 channel audio sources. (like hulu and most other web video) This seems a little shortsighted of Apple. What exactly was the point of giving us HDMI out if the macmini was going to do all the audio processing and spit out PCM that is useless to most all receivers?

That I can't help you with as I don't have a mac-mini. But I would be surprised if you couldn't do what you are trying to do. Usually all it takes is going into the source device settings and telling it to send bitstream and let the avr do the decoding. You could try an apple mac forum to see if someone else has been able to do this. Good luck.

#4,183 ·
I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help. I am having trouble with the receiver shutting down when the volume is turned up to a certain level, which is not too terribly loud. When this happens, the receiver shuts off and the phase control red light blinks.

I currently have a VSX-1019 AH-k receiver. I did have a pair of 10 year old Cerwin Vega speakers hooked up to this new receiver. I thought maybe I had a speaker problem so I bought a brand new pair of Cerwin Vega CLS-215 speakers and the receiver is doing the same thing. My music source is an IPOD for now. I have not yet installed any other devices.

I have carefully checked my speaker wires and cannot find any stray wires touching.

I'm an audio beginner so any help or advice would be thoroughally appreciated. Thanks.