AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread

226K views 885 replies 240 participants last post by  Dbman05 
#1 ·

Marantz appears to have some very competitive mid-range receivers out soon. They have certainly pushed featureset (abt chips with digital video scaling, 6 hdmi for the 6005).

Traded emails this morning with Marantz Sales Rep who confirmed it will be shipping this month.

Now debating whether the 6005 is worth the extra $200.

Link to Outlaw 5005 manual: http://www.outlawaudio.com/marantzguidesr5005.html

See less See more
#2 ·
only one hdmi out for the 6005?The 6004 had 2 ...

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18894320

Update from my contact at Marantz:

The SR5005 (shipping in August) will feature the ABT1030 and the SR6005 (shipping in September) will feature the ABT2015.

Any info from your contact as to whether they fixed the "pop of death" that was a problem for the 04 series receivers?

Last I heard, Marantz was not admitting that the issue was with their receivers, blaming connected components - mainly DVRs for delivering a non standard HDMI signal which sent the receivers into protect mode.

All other brand receivers seemed to work fine with the same connections. Other HDMI issues may have been present, but the receivers did not self destruct.

Hopefully Marantz reworked the electronics in these new receivers to make them more reliable.

Marantz 04 series receivers have earned their own thread here on AVS relating to this failure issue.

#6 ·
There is speculation (possibly well-informed) in other Marantz and Denon threads that the new SRx005 Marantz receiver line has hardware closer to Denon, which hasn't had a "pop of death" issue in the past, than to previous Marantz models.

One disadvantage of Marantz SR5005 and SR6005 is that (like previous Marantz models) the firmware will be upgradeable only by authorized Marantz service centers. The Marantz SR7005 will be firmware upgradeable over the internet.

I think it's unfortunate that Marantz didn't make all three of their new receivers firmware upgradeable over the internet. (The firmware upgrade method is shown in the specifications for each model, for example http://us.marantz.com/Products/3236.asp for SR6005.)

#9 ·
Wish they would also include something akin to DVDO's fantastically functional "prioritized auto input switching" feature.... I've submitted an email request. Wonder if a future firmware could add that functionality, or if they could at least put it on the roadmap for a future version of their AVR family... For now I'll continue to enjoy my SR8001 with my DVDO Edge.

But I do really enjoy that they are finally adding HDMI passthrough in standby mode. Looks like a lot of great features... Way to go Marantz!

..dane

#10 ·
The 7005 looks packed...28 lb weight doesnt excite me much, and I wish you could pre-out to 9/11 channels, but, overall, this looks very tough to beat at $1699. Hopefully it will allow for digital inputs in Zones 2 and 3...CHECKED and it WILL play 2 channel digital PCM sources in Zones 2 and 3...just like CI Denons.

What are the GUIs like on these things, anyone?

This may shoot a challenge to the Denon 4311, although that's a 9 channel unit rumoured to have the new Aud XT 32.

James

#12 ·
Got a reply back from Marantz. Apparently the x005 models DO have both prioritized audio and video auto input switching (when set to "auto"). Here is the reply I received:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz /forum/post/0

As things lie now, the systems do auto prioritize. For video, HDMI has highest priority, followed by component, and then by s or composite. For Audio HDMI first, followed by Digital optical or coaxial, and then finally by rca analog audio. So for example if I have a blu ray player connected to the dvd input via hdmi, an xbox360 connected to dvd through component video, and an older dvd player connected through composite, If the blu ray player is on, that will always take precedence, if the Xbox360 is on that will always take precedence. If the Xbox and the blu ray are both powered off the DVD player would play at that point. This is assuming an input mode of auto.

Woo-hoo!

..dane

#14 ·
I was curious what the ABT2015 chip (in SR7005) offered over the ABT2010 chip (DVDO Edge, I think)... Found this website:

http://www.sequoia.co.uk/components/...27&p=&fmt=grid

I'm sure that table is not an exhaustive list, but at least in that table the ABT2015 only adds keystone correction on top of the ABT2010 offerings. What's not clear of course is what feature(s) Marantz chose to not actually utilize ("activate") in their AVR design.

Nice product brief on the ABT2015 is attached (May 2009 it looks like).

cheers,

..dane

ABT_2015PB_082509.pdf 393.294921875k . file

Attachments

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/18962360

I was curious what the ABT2015 chip (in SR7005) offered over the ABT2010 chip (DVDO Edge, I think)... Found this website:

http://www.sequoia.co.uk/components/...27&p=&fmt=grid

I'm sure that table is not an exhaustive list, but at least in that table the ABT2015 only adds keystone correction on top of the ABT2010 offerings. What's not clear of course is what feature(s) Marantz chose to not actually utilize ("activate") in their AVR design.

Nice product brief on the ABT2015 is attached (May 2009 it looks like).

cheers,

..dane

I have heard from some folks in the know who claim the 2015 is actually not as "powerful" as the 2010 believe it or not.

think this is interesting how they describe the 2015:
http://www.sequoia.co.uk/components/...=1258&fmt=grid

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18962815

I have heard from some folks in the know who claim the 2015 is actually not as "powerful" as the 2010 believe it or not.

think this is interesting how they describe the 2015:
http://www.sequoia.co.uk/components/...=1258&fmt=grid

Interesting.. I don't see anything in the product brief's that make it sound "sub-par" to the 2010. It could simply be a die shrink and/or power reduction? I did see that they are marketing it as for bluray players and receivers.. The link you pointed to indicates a bunch of other "migration" documents and the like that are subject to NDA (typical).. Maybe the 2015 offers easier access to some of their VRS technologies so that AVR's can better utilize the part-- even if it isn't up to the same level of performance as the Edge and Duo. But-- this is all speculation of course; I've actually asked DVDO to identify the differences between the 2010 and the 2015 chips...

cheers,

..dane

#17 ·
I've been out of the game for a long time, but this looks promising. I admit it's the styling that got my attention, but I've always read good stuff about Marantz sound. I'm wondering if that HDBaseT thing I've heard about will take off and make this obsolete, but my PS3 and PC use HDMI so no biggie if it does.

I plan on using this as a pre/pro, but I wish there was an option to shut off the internal amp. I'd go for that AV7005(?) preamp I saw on their site, but I'm not a big fan of that port hole styling they have going on.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/18963655

Interesting.. I don't see anything in the product brief's that make it sound "sub-par" to the 2010. It could simply be a die shrink and/or power reduction? I did see that they are marketing it as for bluray players and receivers.. The link you pointed to indicates a bunch of other "migration" documents and the like that are subject to NDA (typical).. Maybe the 2015 offers easier access to some of their VRS technologies so that AVR's can better utilize the part-- even if it isn't up to the same level of performance as the Edge and Duo. But-- this is all speculation of course; I've actually asked DVDO to identify the differences between the 2010 and the 2015 chips...

cheers,

..dane

Reply from ABT re: their ABT2015 chipset:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. The ABT2015 chip is the follow-on to the ABT2010. The two chips are very similar. The primary difference is that the ABT2015 offers keystoning and the ABT2010 does not. But it is up to Marantz and other companies who use our chips to decide which features they implement in their products. So it is best to check with them regarding the features of the product you are interested in. Overall, the same video processing quality you see in the ABT2010 will be found in the ABT2015.

Best regards,

Kate

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/18963655

cheers,

..dane

not sub-par per se, but I have heard it described by people in the know (CTO at CE) as less powerful. I have no other validation to that comment.

#20 ·
Does anyone know about screenshots of the OSD of 5005/6005?

I think I read that the 6005 should have a different OSD than 5005.

Only I didn't find any verification or pictures. (Both are not in the shops).

Also: Is it true that You see status displays only when the TV is connected via "normal old" cabels, and not when connected with HDMI?

Can't believe that the state of the art connection supresses info one gets with the good old cables.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marst /forum/post/19032532

Does anyone know about screenshots of the OSD of 5005/6005?

I think I read that the 6005 should have a different OSD than 5005.

Only I didn't find any verification or pictures. (Both are not in the shops).

Also: Is it true that You see status displays only when the TV is connected via "normal old" cabels, and not when connected with HDMI?

Can't believe that the state of the art connection supresses info one gets with the good old cables.

I spoke to Marantz tech support today which confirmred that the 6005 will have a color, overlay GUI, while the 5005 will not. Theie office is in NJ, tele # 201 762-6666. They were very pleasant and informative. The rep said that the units should be available w/i the next month or so.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/18937173

Wow, the manual and GUI look like Denon clones if I've ever seen any'!

James

I did a cut&paste of a part of it into a forum answer some time ago.

On the first go it was there fully formatted.

After "review Post" in the editor it was transformed into HTML Tags and there were several [font] tags in it with fonts namend DENON-.... or MarksForDenon.

P.S. Called the shop today where I ordered the sr5005 last week, and was told it would arrive this week!

Can't wait to get it and spend the weekend seting it up.

My "problem" is, I don't have any HDMI equipment currently, and my old TV only has 2 SKART inputs, one used by the DVB-T/DVD/HD Unit. Sound goes via Sound-cable (red & white) to my old Onkyo, which doesnt have video or OSD.

I'll replace that with an optical cable.

I already got a SKART Adapter with two Audio inputs (white & red) and a Video input (yellow) and will try to connect the Marantz this way to the TV.

If that works:

Would it make sense to take off the current SKART connection between the TV and the DVB-T/DVD/HD box, and connect it to the Marantz only?

#23 ·
It looks like the SR5005 is now shipping. One online source is Outlaw Audio, who have also prepared a supplemental user's manual (downloadable from the "Outlaws' Guide to the SR5005" link on this page ). It might be a useful resource to include in the first post.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk /forum/post/19133745

It looks like the SR5005 is now shipping. One online source is Outlaw Audio, who have also prepared a supplemental user's manual (downloadable from the "Outlaws' Guide to the SR5005" link on this page ). It might be a useful resource to include in the first post.

I am interested to see the first owner pics of the case off. I wonder if the power supply, heat sinks, etc will match their denon cousins.

#25 ·
I've had a Marantz NR1601 for about a month now (50W*7 sibling of the 5005/6005) and was debating starting an owner's thread, but it is so similiar to the 5005 that I've decided to tag along with you guys for a bit. Differences between the 2 units (other than power) are a few less inputs/outputs and no Sirius (none of which I need). I debated for the whole 30 day audition period about upgrading for more headroom, but decided it was fine for my volume listening (which with 2 small kids and a small house rarely gets too loud), and am enjoying the 3" shorter receiver height (which fits perfect in my existing TV stand, which is a plus).

I've very happy with the receiver so far (set up as part of a 90% movie, 10% music system). It's paired with a front 3-in-1 L+R+C speaker, a Martin Logan Dynamo sub (original sealed version) and a pair of Artison monopole/dipole surrounds. I started with KEF 8003 front speaker, but sent it back as useful LFE stopped around 190Hz - has to be able to play down to 120Hz to blend well with the Dynamo. Currently, have an Atlantic Technology 4000, which sounds fantastic, but at 8 inches tall and 5 inches deep, exceeds WAF flat panel form factor we were looking for (but plays strongly down to 80Hz which may cause it to make the final cut anyway). I have a Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio en-route to audition before deciding whether to keep the AT or that unit.

This is my first experience with Audyssey and I am a huge fan. I cannot believe the difference between my own feeble skills and what it can do. I highly recommend it to everyone (at least those of us at the "enthusiast" level). I keep the DynEQ on always with TV/movies and am still playing around with what I like best for music. Initially, I had the DynVol off, then on "light" some of the time, but I find myself leaving it on "light" amost always with TV/movies ("medium" and "heavy" are better suited to bigger systems than mine - I'll never use them). The "light" setting gives the front unit a bit more emphasis, which I think is needed all the time, and helps minimize the inherent weaknesses in that form factor. Additionally, Audyssey helps widen the soundstage several feet, which I'm also digging given these units are only around 40" wide.

I set up the receiver with a Logitech Harmony using the 6004 data (1601/5005/6005 not available in their database yet). Most everything was covered and all the buttons worked correctly (everything I use regularly). One difference is that the 6004 had one button for both DynEQ and DynVol, while the 1601 has 2 seperate ones. However, the 6004 settings works anyway with the 1601 too and just scrolls through the various combinations of the 2 features.

Kipa

#26 ·
Hi all,

I have a Marantz SR6003 with Tannoy Arena 5.1 speakers. Great for music, movies and games, easy to use and great aesthetics. Family is happy

Now I am thinking upgrade the 6003 to a 5005. It means:

- 1.4a HDMI ports for future 3D HDTVs.

- one more HDMI input.

- More DSP processing power.

The amp section from specs looks the same and I am not using the second output. The main source will be a PS3.

Any comments? Thanks a lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.