AVS Forum banner

What gaming headphones to buy?

907K views 11K replies 533 participants last post by  lennyr 
#1 ·
In anticipation of Halo 3 I am looking to get headphones. In my limited research I selected it down to Turtle beach Ear Force X2 and TRITTON AX360, leaning strongly towards the AX360 (the AX360 can take the XBX360's optical output and do a 5.1 surround sound). Any other recommendations? Thanks

#9,139 ·
full disclosure, my Astro a40 headset started to cut out on the left ear when i moved, and then i couldn't get it to come back unless i wiggled and held the wire a certain way. Something inside the cup came loose i think. I emailed them and got a prompt response. Even though their warranty covers a year and these were the second batch (2 years old) they let me ship them to them to take a look. Hoping they get back before my gaming LAN.

#9,141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18905510

full disclosure, my Astro a40 headset started to cut out on the left ear when i moved, and then i couldn't get it to come back unless i wiggled and held the wire a certain way. Something inside the cup came loose i think. I emailed them and got a prompt response. Even though their warranty covers a year and these were the second batch (2 years old) they let me ship them to them to take a look. Hoping they get back before my gaming LAN.

And this is why I really like AKG's pro audio can's - user replaceable headphone cables.

#9,142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/18903591

In other news, I was listening to some music last night off the buffalo dac with the balanced hd600s / OCC cable, and man, it sounds so damn good. Incredibly transparent, I feel like my ears are the microphone, if that makes sense. 96/24 materials sounds awesome, but I want to find some even higher quality stuff to experience too. The buffalo will do something crazy like 352.8khz/32 bit, but my sound card will only do 192/24, so I'd like to at least hear that. I was meaning to get on and play some MW2 last night, but I just couldn't take the headphones off lol, I kept wanting to hear "just one more song."

I really want to try gaming with the buffalo, which I want to try this weekend. It will only be two channel, but I'm still curious to hear it.

I still wonder how an iDecco would sound. I really like the concept. It's less than an iWadia and a Buffalo (or very similar in price). Too bad it's only SE and not Balanced... but that's ok I guess.

#9,143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/18903591

In other news, I was listening to some music last night off the buffalo dac with the balanced hd600s / OCC cable, and man, it sounds so damn good. Incredibly transparent, I feel like my ears are the microphone, if that makes sense. 96/24 materials sounds awesome, but I want to find some even higher quality stuff to experience too. The buffalo will do something crazy like 352.8khz/32 bit, but my sound card will only do 192/24, so I'd like to at least hear that. I was meaning to get on and play some MW2 last night, but I just couldn't take the headphones off lol, I kept wanting to hear "just one more song."

I really want to try gaming with the buffalo, which I want to try this weekend. It will only be two channel, but I'm still curious to hear it.

This is what hi end is about.. If more people who hear this, they would dump their 5.1 THIB set ups.. I get the same feeling with my DT48S NAGRA/GP V5/oppo83se..Jaw dropping doesn't even describe it..

#9,144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ /forum/post/18897010

That's exactly what I said a few posts ago. Going by the Siberia's comfort, I don't doubt the F1 is a 10/10 in comfort. Makes me really wanna try some out but I'm gonna stop myself...

The F1 comfort is 10/11..Trust me when I say.. Light as a feather.. It's like NOTHING is on your head..

#9,146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewb /forum/post/18907496

How are the sennheiser hd201 for gaming, they're very cheap

are they worth picking up?

I can't say that I've heard them, but the Sennheiser HD428 headphones would be great, if the fit my big ears. The best part is that you can find those refurbished one Amazon for $20.

#9,147 ·
I sold my HD201 to my roomie. For the price, they're good performers for gaming, but they are uncomfortable after some time. The KSC75 is cheaper, more comfy, and sounds a whole lot better for gaming than the HD201. Trust me. If you need a headphone for that cheap with a headband, I suggest the Philips SHP2500. More comfy, and just as good for gaming. But for 10 dollars or so more, you can geg the JVC HARX700 which is highly regarded as great gaming cans, as well as do more than just gaming well, and can be modded to sound like headphones worth much more.

#9,148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI /forum/post/18907117

The F1 comfort is 10/11..Trust me when I say.. Light as a feather.. It's like NOTHING is on your head..

My worry then is that they are loose, which I hate. The AD700, for example, feels like nothing is on your head, until you move your head and they start to fall off. I'd rather they fit securely and comfortably, like the DT880.

#9,149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/18908131

My worry then is that they are loose, which I hate. The AD700, for example, feels like nothing is on your head, until you move your head and they start to fall off. I'd rather they fit securely and comfortably, like the DT880.

I'd like DT880...

#9,150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z /forum/post/18908191

I'd like DT880...

#9,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj03 /forum/post/18908376

I take it you arent using a mic? Im interested in seeing how you would utilize a mic with that setup.

A lot of us use amps with mics. You get the mixamp splitter that turns the 4 pole on it into a 3.5mm headphone output that plugs into the amp, and a 3.5mm microphone input that inputs the mic.

#9,153 ·
#9,154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/18908829

A lot of us use amps with mics. You get the mixamp splitter that turns the 4 pole on it into a 3.5mm headphone output that plugs into the amp, and a 3.5mm microphone input that inputs the mic.

O I C!

Im thinking about making my own that is longer. I just have to figure out if the four pole connections.

#9,155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj03 /forum/post/18912019

O I C!

Im thinking about making my own that is longer. I just have to figure out if the four pole connections.

#9,156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z /forum/post/18912119

I think it's nice that you let your kids do your mechanical drawings for you.

#9,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience /forum/post/18912232

I think it's nice that you let your kids do your mechanical drawings for you.

All about CHEAP LABOR!

#9,160 ·
So both my Fuze LOD cable and my laptop arrived yesterday.

First comes first. Either the Fuze has an incredible HPO or an LOD cable is incredibly overrated. I hooked up the Fuze via LOD cable to the Fiio E7, and I swear it made barely if ANY difference. The E7 helped drive the K701, but for the CAL and ES7, there was no real difference.

I wasn't planning on ever using the K701 with my Fuze to begin with. The CAL and ES7 sound stellar straight off the Fuze, making the LOD cable a complete waste of cash. Oh well. Both of those cans would only sound worse with the E7's various bass boosts, so the Fuze with slight EQ was all I needed.

Now my biggest surprise was using the Fiio E7 as a dac/amp for my laptop. Holy cow, what a difference. It was night and day for me. The Fiio E7 is gonna stay mated to the laptop from now on.

#9,161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ /forum/post/18918321

So both my Fuze LOD cable and my laptop arrived yesterday.

First comes first. Either the Fuze has an incredible HPO or an LOD cable is incredibly overrated. I hooked up the Fuze via LOD cable to the Fiio E7, and I swear it made barely if ANY difference. The E7 helped drive the K701, but for the CAL and ES7, there was no real difference.

I wasn't planning on ever using the K701 with my Fuze to begin with. The CAL and ES7 sound stellar straight off the Fuze, making the LOD cable a complete waste of cash. Oh well. Both of those cans would only sound worse with the E7's various bass boosts, so the Fuze with slight EQ was all I needed.

Now my biggest surprise was using the Fiio E7 as a dac/amp for my laptop. Holy cow, what a difference. It was night and day for me. The Fiio E7 is gonna stay mated to the laptop from now on.

I've never listened to the Fuze, but on my iPod 5.5G... the HPO sounds pretty good with my ALAC files. Then, if I use my LOD to the Fiio E5.... I can hear the soundstage open up, the dynamics get a little better and the headphones have a little more room to breath. I've heard the HPO on the iPod isn't the greatest... but unless I A/B the LOD and Fiio versus the HPO... I'd be hard pressed to hear the difference. The worst part, some songs I can't hear a difference at all. So it's a toss up, but for $6 total to make... I'm ok with it. I'd never buy another 'higher end' LOD as I don't see the point.

Now, if I was able to BYPASS the internal DAC and use a different DAC, that would be a whole 'nother story. Happy that you like it out of the Lappy though. DAC and Amp from the Lappy/PC does make a nice difference in most cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.