AVS Forum banner
687K views 6K replies 735 participants last post by  JcTcom 
#1 ·
*Welcome to the only "dedicated" thread for Samsung's new 2010 8000 series 3D plasma. Please feel free to add photos, tips, tweaks, etc.

*Here's the direct link to the owner's manual;

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...04L03-0507.pdf

*From Samsung's website;

"With Samsung’s PN50C8000, PN58C8000, and PN63C8000 Plasma HDTV you’re not just watching the action on screen, you’re part of it. Thanks to the wonder of revolutionary 3D Plasma Plus technology, car chases and home runs leap off the screen like never before. And web-connected Samsung Apps turn your TV into an all-in-one entertainment hub where you can stream movies, flip through photos and more right from your Samsung television. Action-packed sports are also realistically smooth with 600Hz Subfield Motion and Real Black Filter delivers sharp scenes in any light. It’s Plasma TV, reinvented."

*PN50C8000 support page;
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN50C8000YF

*PN58C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN58C8000YF

*PN63C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...il&tab=support

*The current firmware is 1035 (Released 02/21/2011)

See less See more
#1,078 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryPana /forum/post/18904713

I believe the optical out only gives compressed sound, ie, not as high quality (uncompressed/lossless) as hdmi, IMO.

That's the trade-off. Optical restricts you to lossless 2-channel audio or compressed multichannel (5.1, 7.1) audio. HDMI also supports the latest and greatest codecs (Dolby TrueHD). Whether or not you can discern the difference is more a function of your speakers (and ears).

#1,079 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 /forum/post/18903425

Darren, try this, it was the 2d to 3d conversion that I tested when I told you the option worked in 3d mode.

I did not try this, but it seems to me it would defeat the purpose, as the 2D-3D conversion does not give the same effect as 3D material. I guess I would have to turn the 3D off on the player, and let the TV do the conversion? I can wait until the set is broken in and then watch it with letterboxing.

DarrenK

#1,080 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK /forum/post/18905336

I did not try this, but it seems to me it would defeat the purpose, as the 2D-3D conversion does not give the same effect as 3D material. I guess I would have to turn the 3D off on the player, and let the TV do the conversion? I can wait until the set is broken in and then watch it with letterboxing.

DarrenK

If it makes you feel better, I have experienced 0 burn in or IR or anything.

All I did was watch tv, without watching more than a few minutes of espn or anything with a static image, tried to avoid letterbox but still watched a few movies. I did run the slide show every night for at least 8 hours for the first week or so. Thats all I did.... to each his own.

#1,082 ·
I have had some minor IR issues so far. Nothing serious, but for instance we had a flood warning on the screen last night for most of the CBS lineup. There is also a ticker for the morning news. Both left an image on the screen. The morning new ticker was up less than 5 minutes. However, the set is very, very new, since I first hooked it up Saturday morning, and the IR was Monday morning for the news. If the screen goes black you cannot see the IR, but I switched right to the break-in DVD and it was there plain as day when a light background was showing. It went away, so I'm not worried, but I only have MvA in 3D, and two other blu-ray movies, both of which I have already seen. So I am not in a rush to watch anything that cant be made to fit the screen. I am also running the break in slides while I am at work (and while I was out Saturday and Sunday...forgot on Monday). The screen definitely needs to settle down, and I could swear on the break in slides I see sparklies when up close (a few inches away) during the break-in slides, but not noticeable from any real viewing distance. I broke-in my Toshiba RPT 8 years ago, and now can watch anything I want for hours on end without any IR whatsoever, games, tickers, etc. It still has a phenomenal picture, although the brightness has definitely decreased since I got it. But heck it's 8 years old...

DarrenK

#1,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK /forum/post/18905989

I have had some minor IR issues so far. Nothing serious, but for instance we had a flood warning on the screen last night for most of the CBS lineup. There is also a ticker for the morning news. Both left an image on the screen. The morning new ticker was up less than 5 minutes. However, the set is very, very new, since I first hooked it up Saturday morning, and the IR was Monday morning for the news. If the screen goes black you cannot see the IR, but I switched right to the break-in DVD and it was there plain as day when a light background was showing. It went away, so I'm not worried, but I only have MvA in 3D, and two other blu-ray movies, both of which I have already seen. So I am not in a rush to watch anything that cant be made to fit the screen. I am also running the break in slides while I am at work (and while I was out Saturday and Sunday...forgot on Monday). The screen definitely needs to settle down, and I could swear on the break in slides I see sparklies when up close (a few inches away) during the break-in slides, but not noticeable from any real viewing distance. I broke-in my Toshiba RPT 8 years ago, and now can watch anything I want for hours on end without any IR whatsoever, games, tickers, etc. It still has a phenomenal picture, although the brightness has definitely decreased since I got it. But heck it's 8 years old...

DarrenK

sorry cant help with the number of hours, also want that info though!

Anyway, I have also noticed sparklies as you call them. I notice these even during the imax sceens of dark night. I have been wondering if I should be worried or not. They always go away and the pixels in the same location have not shown continuous flicker... not sure on this one.

FYI for anyone not experiencing this. The snow that you see in any no signal channel, take one of those white pixels and randomly place it in a sceen from a blu ray or hdtv, that is a sparkle. Random meaning one or two frames per second, then it goes away.

#1,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 /forum/post/18906208

sorry cant help with the number of hours, also want that info though!

Anyway, I have also noticed sparklies as you call them. I notice these even during the imax sceens of dark night. I have been wondering if I should be worried or not. They always go away and the pixels in the same location have not shown continuous flicker... not sure on this one.

FYI for anyone not experiencing this. The snow that you see in any no signal channel, take one of those white pixels and randomly place it in a sceen from a blu ray or hdtv, that is a sparkle. Random meaning one or two frames per second, then it goes away.

turn the tv off and go into the service menu by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, power in succession. i forget when menu it is in under there but it is there. just be careful when you exit the service menu i have had the set revert to default settings. including all of the source picture and sound settings you have made. it's called panel hrs i think.

#1,086 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredn /forum/post/18906646

turn the tv off and go into the service menu by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, power in succession. i forget when menu it is in under there but it is there. just be careful when you exit the service menu i have had the set revert to default settings. including all of the source picture and sound settings you have made. it's called panel hrs i think.

Yes, this is how you do it. Here is a step by step, like "tredn" said, be careful.

* Turn the power off

* Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"

* Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

* The hours used will be one of the items listed.

* To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to

default values. So make sure to write down custom

adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.

#1,087 ·
Well i to have some IR issues top right corner my Denon logo wont go away even after i run samsung software or burnin dvd, how do u get rid of this IR

#1,088 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic /forum/post/18906836

Yes, this is how you do it. Here is a step by step, like "tredn" said, be careful.

* Turn the power off

* Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"

* Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

* The hours used will be one of the items listed.

* To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to

default values. So make sure to write down custom

adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.

Thanks!

Panel shows 67 hours...Also shows purchase date? Weird....It shows the date I first turned it on, which is weird, because it was bought a few days before...lol

DarrenK

#1,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK /forum/post/18907596

Thanks!

Panel shows 67 hours...Also shows purchase date? Weird....It shows the date I first turned it on, which is weird, because it was bought a few days before...lol

DarrenK

No prob,

You might want to check if it resets the hours when you exit. I think it did this on the B860 panel, I could be wrong. The way I kept track of my first 200hrs, was with a log......kinda geeky, but it worked.

#1,090 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 /forum/post/18906970

Well i to have some IR issues top right corner my Denon logo wont go away even after i run samsung software or burnin dvd, how do u get rid of this IR

How many hours do you have on your TV, also do you have pixel shift set to on? Have you tried the screen scrolling feature?

I did about 200hrs+ of break in, I haven't had a problem with IR.

(edit) Sorry re-read your post, I'm guessing you did try the scrolling feature.

#1,091 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic /forum/post/18907698

How many hours do you have on your TV, also do you have pixel shift set to on? Have you tried the screen scrolling feature?

I did about 200hrs+ of break in, I haven't had a problem with IR.

(edit) Sorry re-read your post, I'm guessing you did try the scrolling feature.

hi viewing hours less than 3 hours new to tv, i have not had the chance to pu 200hrs+

#1,092 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 /forum/post/18903459

Your onkyo 905 cannot pass 3d video (I believe).

One solution is to buy an HDMI splitter for your blu ray and ps3.

If you run your hdmi cords to a splitter from your c6900 and ps3 then you can run two hdmi to your audio receiver and one to your tv.

That was the only solution I could come up with before I decided to just buy a receiver that passes hdmi 1.4 (3d)

How about 905 Use HDMI Audio by Pass??

#1,093 ·
Sorry I dont have time to read everyone post ... but im interested in this tv compared to the VT25 which is out of my pay-scale right now. The pricing and BB deal drew me into this tv , but more i read about features, the more i like it...

hoping someone could clearify few of my remaining q's / doubts? Would really be grateful.

1. Does it stop at 60hz refresh rate like the c7000 or does it do 96hz?

2. Can it properly handle 24p unlike the C7000?

3. Samsung claimed this would have far deeper blacks than the c7000 - this true...how is it compared to vt25 / is it still worth the price drop?

4. Has the buzz issue been fixed .... i.e. blacks on panny seem debatable, rather deal with slight hum than to see my PQ diminish (unless a full diminsh still looks better than this tv, but i doubt it).

5. How is the ghosting or motion blurr compared to the C7000 (which got negged for)?

6. 3D - prior to this TV panasonic had the acclaimed best 3d PQ -- does it still have it or is there at least a tie?

Id be grateful to have any/all these questions answered..... as id like to buy this tv THIS weekend if im persuaded. Im really interested but on the fence as i was on panasonics farm.

#1,097 ·
NO motion lag or phosphor lag that i have seen. I have however seen green phosphor lag while playing mw2 on my brothers vt25.

#1,099 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredn /forum/post/18910043

give it a little bit. i didn't have any at first either but at certain times it is extremely noticeable when the sound is down low. or i have tv paused. it is tolerable but there. otherwise I LOVE THE SET!

how long have you had your set tho??

#1,101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/18910051

^^^ I guess there are mixed reviews as always, we heard different.

Yes your absolutely right cleveland!!! So many mixed reviews out there its confusing. All I can say is every 2010 plasma I have seen are great!!! So as a consumer you have to see them for yourself. I have sensitive eyes and see rainbows on dlp sets and most ppl don't. So use YOUR eyes and buy accordingly. Do you agree cleveland??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.