AVS Forum banner

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460(GF104 GPU) supports full audio bitstreaming

219K views 2K replies 151 participants last post by  22386 
#1 ·
 http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/4

Quote:
With a $199 MSRP and 150W TDP, the 768MB GTX 460 is also the first card to be of a suitable design for HTPC use. Although we don’t expect very many GTX 460s to be used for that (rather it would be for the unannounced GF106) NVIDIA is already putting plans in to motion for HTPC cards. The GTX 460 will offer full bitstreaming audio capabilities, something the GF100 GPU powering the other GTX 400 series cards could not do. This means that the GTX 460 will be able to bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD along with the 8 channel LPCM audio capabilities supported by the previous GTX 400 series cards. This brings NVIDIA up to par with AMD, who has offered bitstreaming on the entire range of Radeon HD 5000 series cards.
Quote:
Much like the launch of 3D Vision Surround however, this feature is late. It is not supported in the initial shipping drivers for the GTX 460 and will be made available at a later unknown date. We’ll be sure to test it along with the rest of the GTX 460’s HTPC capabilities once it’s available.

Looks like all future Nvidia GPUs will support full audio bitstreaming, GF100 GPUs(GTX 480/470/465) are the exception of course.

#103 ·
 A rumor :

- GeForce GTS 455/450 (GF106): $129-179, August, replacing GTS 250, a competitor to HD 5700 series.

- GeForce ??? [could be GT 440?] (GF108): under $100, Septemeber, replacing GT 240, a competitor to HD 5600/5500 series.

On the other hand,

- Radeon HD 6xxx: October. UVD3 (MPEG-4 MVC decoder) and HDMI 1.4 are new.

#104 ·
Is the Radeon 6xxx rumor based on any hard evidence? I haven't seen any half-official looking thing, yet - although i might've been blind.

But i also know that the low-end nvidia cards are not "official" yet either.

On the other hand, i still greatly prefer NVIDIA, their VP4 is superior to UVD2 any day. (Also, I'm not a big fan of 3D for home cinema, it wouldn't be a bonus for me)

#105 ·
#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18931816

A rumor :

- GeForce GTS 455/450 (GF106): $129-179, August, replacing GTS 250, a competitor to HD 5700 series.

- GeForce ??? [could be GT 440?] (GF108): under $100, Septemeber, replacing GT 240, a competitor to HD 5600/5500 series.

Cool, thanks! I do want the GTX 460 but I don't think it'll work well inside a Sugo SG05 w/300W PSU. The Sugo SG07 is just way too big for me.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18931966

- October rumor

- Specs rumor (Bun Honma's aricles are usually very accurate. my own summary )

Somehow it would seem weird to start off the new series of cards with the low-end / mid-range cards. But maybe i'm just too focused on nvidia in my mind, which always start off with the high-end models. *shrug*

All i want is a good HTPC card, preferably nvidia due to better software compat with dxva decoders, but if the arguments for any other cards are clearly superior, i'm not locked in there =)

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel /forum/post/18936280

Somehow it would seem weird to start off the new series of cards with the low-end / mid-range cards. But maybe i'm just too focused on nvidia in my mind, which always start off with the high-end models. *shrug*

Uh... The high-end's already in place:

GTX 480 (GF100)

GTX 470 (GF100)

GTX 465 (GF100)

GTX 460 (GF104)

#112 ·
HD 6xxx is not a new GPU architecture, it's a minor revision of HD 5xxx, based on the same 40 nm process. So AMD could release whichever segment first...

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18938116

HD 6xxx is not a new GPU architecture, it's a minor revision of HD 5xxx, based on the same 40 nm process. So AMD could release whichever segment first...

Do you know if there are plans for an IGP update from either AMD or Nvidia? I'd read about "Fusion" from AMD at one point, but hadn't heard much.

I would love a bitstreaming on-board option to compete with the intel i3/i5 variant.

CFC

#115 ·
#116 ·
An HD 5500 IGP with (software based) Hybrid CrossFireX with another HD5xxx would be great. Would allow full post processing and maybe the power for 3-D EyeFinity and I'm leaning on the belief that Fusion will allow full onboard Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA bitstreaming (since Intel is doing that already). Onboard IGP with bitstreaming and proper 24Hz would make all the HTPC builders very pleased.

A 3-way Hybrid CrossFireX setup with these two cards (and the HD 5500 IGP) would be interesting to me.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=346 (to allow EyeFinity)

and
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=349 Why couldn't Sapphire put 1GB (GDDR5) on the EyeFinity version above like this one and just make the ultimate ATI HTPC card when a fanless heatsink is attached?

(would prefer this fanless heatsink on both though: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=344 )

Hello Sapphire, are you listening? You have 4 HD 5500 cards that if you combined them you would have this card done! (take your 1GB GDDR5 at 4000MHz HDMI model, switch the VGA port with a DisplayPort to add EyeFinity like your DP model and switch the cooler to the Ultimate fanless heatsink model, OC the core to 650MHz like your OC version and bingo.) Maybe you could bump the GDDR5 to 2GB like this Club3D version?: http://www.club3d.nl/products/produc...product_id=324

Both cards overclocked to HD 5570 speed of 650MHz (graphics core) like this one: http://www.pro-clockers.com/videocar...n.html?start=2 (but keeping the GDDR memory at 4GHz).

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18897188

Excellent. I hope they come out with a GF104 based dual-GPU card. Then I can sell my GTX 295 and HDAV Slim.

Ditto , it's about damn time.

#118 ·
OK, the first trial results with 460:

MPC-HC:

with Default Direct Sound Device:

THD,

DTSHD-MA, DTSHD-HR bitstreaming is OK.

with ReClock:

PCM streaming is OK without downsampling.

Corel WinDVD 10:

THD,

PCM streaming downsamples to 48/16 as usual.

No edid override issues with my Denon 1910.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/18954415

OK, the first trial results with 460:

MPC-HC:

with Default Direct Sound Device:

THD,

with ReClock:

PCM streaming is OK without downsampling.

Corel WinDVD 10:

THD,

No edid override issues with my Denon 1910.

I have the eVGA 460GTX 1GB Superclocked arriving on tue/wed, so no go on the TMT or PowerDVD Bitstream?

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownicle /forum/post/18955234

I have the eVGA 460GTX 1GB Superclocked arriving on tue/wed, so no go on the TMT or PowerDVD Bitstream?

That model has the external fan (blower). Will you let us know how loud it really is? Check and see if it looks like the fan can be change to an after market fan such as the Noctua or Scythe (much quieter).

I'm thinking the same card for myself.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/18954415

Corel WinDVD 10:

THD,

Hmm, WinDVD always works immediately. It uses the standard Media Foundation audio pipeline? Does it work under Vista?

#125 ·
God, TMT3 is giving me the same kind of audio glitches that the Realtek driver gave me with the ATI 5000. This time, only with ReClock on the chain, it seems, but I haven't tested for longer periods of time. PowerDVD 8.0.2217 has given me random blue screens, and WinDVD 2010 gives me banding in tests (outputting YCbCr), as opposed to TMT3, PowerDVD 8 and MPC-HC w/overlay mixer which are perfectly smooth.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o /forum/post/18956517

God, TMT3 is giving me the same kind of audio glitches that the Realtek driver gave me with the ATI 5000. This time, only with ReClock on the chain, it seems, but I haven't tested for longer periods of time. PowerDVD 8.0.2217 has given me random blue screens, and WinDVD 2010 gives me banding in tests (outputting YCbCr), as opposed to TMT3, PowerDVD 8 and MPC-HC w/overlay mixer which are perfectly smooth.

So.....it's going well then?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.