AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread

751K views 5K replies 906 participants last post by  bmurray716 
#1 ·
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

See less See more
#4,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk /forum/post/18954087

How do you do a hard reset on the 1019? Thanks, Steve

1 Switch the receiver into standby.

2 While holding down ENTER on the front panel, press STANDBY/ON. The display shows RESET .

3 Select RESET' using PRESET +/-, then press ENTER on the front panel. The display shows RESET? OK.

4 Press ENTER.

Mike T

#4,312 ·
Hey,

Finally got my receiver back from the shop a few days ago after hearing a loud buzzing noise due to a failed transformer. I can say the receiver is working now! =).

A few funny things. This time when I run the auto set up, it always says my right surround is in reverse phase, I check the wiring many times and still says reversed phase. Before I never got that. Also interestingly I changed the position slightly of the centre channel so it's in a more open space and now MCACC always thinks it's a large.

So I still continued using a "reverse phase right surround" cause the connection i'm sure is correct. Changed the settings to small instead of large and then ran set up.

For movies, I think the MCACC settings are pretty good. The directions and soundfield are pretty smooth and large it's pretty cool. And it just sounds good.

For music, (call me weird or stupid) I feel the MCACC settings just suck the life out of it. When I was using default settings (distance and speaker levels and all of that on default), and manually adjust sub volume, the music sounded very very very good. But with the MCACC settings it just seems to ruin it not too sure how.

All in all I am really happy with the unit. Except I do wish it did HDMI pass through when the unit is off (kuro link might do this? but it's a mess with my Samsung), so w/e.

Any ideas on why I prefer a "non-calibrated" set up for music? Maybe just personal preference? Or is there something I should be doing in the set up? I did follow the the guideline on the main MCACC thread. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience and any comments would be awesome.

#4,313 ·
Hello fellow 1019 owners I have a question about trying to setup my zone 2 with a subwoofer and I was hoping to get some insight.

My current setup

vsx 1019

small insignia surround speakers and sub (soon to be upgraded).

zone 2 speakers are some old cerwin vega floorstanding.

My initial plan was to hook the subwoofer up to one of the zone 2 speakers to get a line level signal to the sub but the 1019 doesn't allow you to set the zone 2 speakers to large when the mains are set to small.

Should I setup a second MCACC save file stating that all the speakers in the system are large and only use zone 2 with this save file and switch back to the other save filer for zone 1 or is there a better way to run a subwoofer in zone 2? Any ideas would be much appreciated

#4,314 ·
^^^

- first off, you can't assign different speaker sizes to different mcacc settings... speaker sizes are global...

- secondly, be REALLY careful if you do try to do this... what's the impedance of the sub and speakers?

#4,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by i6h6 /forum/post/18960110

Hey,

Finally got my receiver back from the shop a few days ago after hearing a loud buzzing noise due to a failed transformer. I can say the receiver is working now! =).

Glad to hear your got rid of that annoying buzzzing noise.

As far as tweaking for music, I guess you have got to do some more experimenting with the different settings and such. Enjoy your new (fixed) avr!

#4,316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18961328

^^^

- first off, you can't assign different speaker sizes to different mcacc settings... speaker sizes are global...

- secondly, be REALLY careful if you do try to do this... what's the impedance of the sub and speakers?

Shoot I wasn't aware that the speaker sizes where global. The speakers I'm using are 8ohm and the subwoofer I'm using is a 50 watt powered subwoofer that I would use the line level inputs from one of the speakers. I suppose I could just switch the speaker sizes when I wanted to use zone2 each time kind of a pain but it should work in theory. Could I use the composit audio outputs for zone2 to drive the subwoofer?

#4,317 ·
^^^

what is the impedance of the sub?

i think it's possible (likely? not likely? not sure, but certainly possible... ) that you would send the avr immediately in protection if you presented a load to it in that manner... and if not immediately, quite possibly quite quickly...

ymmv...

#4,318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18959917

See attached

I know you're trying to be helpful but why did you feel the need to post the exact same procedure in answer to the OP, right under the relative 2 posts?

Mike T

#4,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee /forum/post/18963435

I know you're trying to be helpful but why did you feel the need to post the exact same procedure in answer to the OP, right under the relative 2 posts?

Mike T

No offense intended. Didn't see your post.

#4,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by i6h6 /forum/post/18960110

Hey,

Any ideas on why I prefer a "non-calibrated" set up for music? Maybe just personal preference? Or is there something I should be doing in the set up? I did follow the the guideline on the main MCACC thread. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience and any comments would be awesome.

The problem is that the calibration standard is intended for home theater and part of that is the room response to be equalized to appear flat at the listening position. Don't understand me wrong - that's a good standard. The lack of such a standard in the music recording and reproduction seems to be the reason why we are having problems with the music listening. Most of the music I own varies from too little bass to too much mids. I don't know if in the recent years the sound engineers have started to adopt the flat EQ response as a base. All I know is that my music that comes mostly from the 80's and the 90's does not sound right with the MCACC result. It is noticeable that concerts recorded or mastered in blu-ray do sound right with MCACC. So I ended up modifying the EQ curve and the sub level and saving it in two different memories for music listening. It was mostly about increasing the sub level, the 120Hz band and lowering the 4kHz one.

#4,322 ·
^^^

that's like asking "how long is a rope"?

#4,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker /forum/post/18968296

The problem is that the calibration standard is intended for home theater and part of that is the room response to be equalized to appear flat at the listening position. Don't understand me wrong - that's a good standard. The lack of such a standard in the music recording and reproduction seems to be the reason why we are having problems with the music listening. Most of the music I own varies from too little bass to too much mids. I don't know if in the recent years the sound engineers have started to adopt the flat EQ response as a base. All I know is that my music that comes mostly from the 80's and the 90's does not sound right with the MCACC result. It is noticeable that concerts recorded or mastered in blu-ray do sound right with MCACC. So I ended up modifying the EQ curve and the sub level and saving it in two different memories for music listening. It was mostly about increasing the sub level, the 120Hz band and lowering the 4kHz one.

Thanks for the input. I was starting to doubt my own ears. I probably won't bother much with MCACC for music, just do a couple of manual tweaks here and there since I already enjoy it nicely "uncalibrated"

#4,325 ·
Nevermind, finally got it working. Apparently this is a common problem. I had to uninstall my current driver and install an older driver and now it works like a charm.

Trying to hook my laptop up via HDMI to my Pioneer 919 and can't get audio. The Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and is about two years old. The video part works fine. The Audio I'm trying to play is stuff like YouTube videos and the like. I can get audio to work fine via HDMI directly through my HDTV, but would rather have it come through my receiver. What don't I have turned on, or doesn't the receiver accept audio signals via a Laptop? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#4,326 ·
Hi all,

I have a question regarding if it is possible to apply Pro Logic IIx to the DTS HD Bitstream audio. I know that the receiver does apply PLIIx to True HD and the reciever shows this (HD+Pro Logic IIx MV). Can that also happen to show DTS+Pro Logic IIx MV in the display?

I have the player set to PCM at present so that Pro Logic IIX can be applied to the PCM output of DTS HD...thus only PCM+Pro Logic IIX MV shows...can it be applied directly to the DTS HD bitstream in order to have the display show DTS+Pro Logic IIx MV in the display...I realize that this is what is happening now, just want to have the receiver display showing DTS HD (silly I know..)

My appoligies if this has been answered already, and if it has can someone direct me to the answer?

Muchly appreciated.

#4,327 ·
I just got a new TV with Viera Cast. I would like to be able to listen to the internet source on the A/V receiver. I ran the digital audio out from my Panasonic 50G25 to the TV digital in on the receiver, but I cannot seem to find a setting that plays that signal. What input should the receiver be on to play the digital audio in from the TV?

Thanks.

#4,328 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexhokie /forum/post/18983942

I just got a new TV with Viera Cast. I would like to be able to listen to the internet source on the A/V receiver. I ran the digital audio out from my Panasonic 50G25 to the TV digital in on the receiver, but I cannot seem to find a setting that plays that signal. What input should the receiver be on to play the digital audio in from the TV?

Thanks.

Hi Centexhokie, did you go into Tv menu and set TV Speaker to "Off"?

On the receiver Input Select should be "TV/SAT".

#4,329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18983983

Hi Centexhokie, did you go into Tv menu and set TV Speaker to "Off"?

On the receiver Input Select should be "TV/SAT".

I've set the TV menu to Speaker on and off and the receiver to TV/SAT with no luck. I did notice that the TV/SAT seems to only let me select Analog and I wondered if that might be the problem.

I guess it's possible that my cable could be bad, but it does have a red light on the input to the receiver. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

#4,330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexhokie /forum/post/18984145

I've set the TV menu to Speaker on and off and the receiver to TV/SAT with no luck. I did notice that the TV/SAT seems to only let me select Analog and I wondered if that might be the problem.

I guess it's possible that my cable could be bad, but it does have a red light on the input to the receiver. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

On the receiver remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" and cycle it to digital.

On my Panasonic Tv under Viera Link menu there is a setting for Speaker Output, try setting this to Theater (not sure if this will help).

#4,331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18984211

On the receiver remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" and cycle it to digital.

On my Panasonic Tv under Viera Link menu there is a setting for Speaker Output, try setting this to Theater (not sure if this will help).

I set the Viera Link to Theater, no change. I can get the receiver to cycle between SIGSELDIGITAL and SIGSELAUTO, etc. but not under TV/SAT. Whenever it goes to TV/SAT it will not cycle but stays on SIGSEL ANALOG.

I've tried another cable, and I tried to use the DVD optical input to see if that made any difference. No luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

#4,332 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexhokie /forum/post/18984326

I set the Viera Link to Theater, no change. I can get the receiver to cycle between SIGSELDIGITAL and SIGSELAUTO, etc. but not under TV/SAT. Whenever it goes to TV/SAT it will not cycle but stays on SIGSEL ANALOG.

I've tried another cable, and I tried to use the DVD optical input to see if that made any difference. No luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

I'm guess you meant DVR OPT-2.

Try this as a test, run one of your source (cable box, etc..) using optical out to receiver OPT-1 or OPT-2 and see if you get audio.

Another test, connect a source (cable box, etc...) using HDMI connection to Tv HDMI Input and see if you get audio from Tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver. If you get audio now then maybe it can not output internet audio (just guessing here). Or try posting this question in the Plasma or G25 owners thread .

#4,333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18984547

I'm guess you meant DVR OPT-2.

Try this as a test, run one of your source (cable box, etc..) using optical out to receiver OPT-1 or OPT-2 and see if you get audio.

Another test, connect a source (cable box, etc...) using HDMI connection to Tv HDMI Input and see if you get audio from Tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver. If you get audio now then maybe it can not output internet audio (just guessing here). Or try posting this question in the Plasma or G25 owners thread .

Thanks for the suggestions. What I discovered was the following:

1. If I take the signal directly from the DVR to the TV and use the OPT-1 to take the sound back to the receiver, I get no sound with receiver on TV/SAT which is an analog setting.

2. If I turn off the DVR and utilize a VieraCast signal (Pandora in this case) and use OPT-2 to take the sound back to the receiver, I get the sound as long as the receiver is set to DVR which is a digital setting.

Therefore my conclusions are that the TV sends out an internet sound signal. I still don't know why I can't get the receiver to take a digital signal on TV/SAT. I would still like to figure this out, but at least I have a work around using OPT-2. Any ideas on this?

You have been extremely helpful and I am appreciative of your troubleshooting skills.