AVS Forum banner

Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750

101K views 678 replies 89 participants last post by  Jeaninem71 
#1 ·
I own a 3D ready Samsung HL61A750 DLP HDTV. As many of you know, Samsung screwed over owners of their 3D ready DLPs by not making a Checkerboard Converter for owners of the TV. Mitsubishi further added salt to the wound by making their 3D Checkerboard Converter incompatible with Samsung 3D ready DLPs by adding EDID restrictions to the converter.

My Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Checkerboard Converter arrived today. I had previously purchased a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus and programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into the Gefen. I hooked up my DirecTv HR24-500 to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Checkerboard Converter. I then hooked up the 3DA-1 to the Gefen HDMI Detective. Then I hooked up the Gefen to my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver and ran the HDMI out to my Samsung HL61A750. I am using Samsung SSG1000 Glasses and the emitter that came with the glasses. I AM NOW ABLE TO WATCH 3D ON MY SAMSUNG HL61A750 AND THE PICTURE IS STUNNING. However, unfortunately my audio was being limited to 2.0 so I hooked up a Toslink cable from the HR24-500 to the Onkyo TX-SR805 and that solved the audio issue.

If someone can tell me how to attach an image then I will do that for everyone.

#77 ·
Spider,

If you have the Panasonic 3d bluray, set it to checkerboard and connect direct, no other converters. It's the only brand that included checkerboard.

Samsung left us stranded when they would not even include checkerboard support for us.

Also, the DLP Link type glasses work without any rf emitter.

JIM

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderguy84 /forum/post/18987651

Do you have to have the converter for the hlt5075s samsung to work, or as long as you have a checkerboard output 3-d bluray player is that enough?

If you have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that offers 3D Checkerboard then you will not need the converter watch 3D but you will need it for any other video sources that do not offer Checkerboard.

If you made a mistake and bought a Samsung Blu-ray player or any other product made by the worthless Samsung company then you will need the converter.

I am so mad at Samsung that I might support an invasion by North Korea as long as they promised to replace the entire leadership of Samsung.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers /forum/post/18976523

--SNIP--

On the PS3 the picture looked enlarged and I could not get any sound over HDMI but it was producing a 3D picture on the game demo I downloaded. I never play games on my PS3 and use it solely for a blu-ray player and media center. I wonder if the picture was stretched because the PS3 thought that it was connected to a larger Mitsubishi 72 inch DLP HDTV rather than my Samsung 61 DLP HDTV.

--SNIP--

I own none of the devices in this thread. I do, however, have the Sony 3D Blu ray player. One of the 3D options is you must specify the size of your 3D display, from 000 inches to 999. I would bet that the forthcoming PS3 3D-enabling firmware will have the same or similar setting. Thus, Geaux, I think your are entirely correct in your presumption that your PS3 "thinks' it is connected to a larger display than it really is.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/0

The HLT 720p models are not 3D ready, they only support 2D HD.

Actually the HLT5075S does support 3-D. It's in the manual for the tv has the 3-D sync for the glasses and Samsung confirmed they are 3-D ready. What I was mentioning is that the dlp link type glasses site for xpand doesn't show that particular model being compatible with the hlt5075s.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderguy84 /forum/post/18989109

Actually the HLT5075S does support 3-D. It's in the manual for the tv has the 3-D sync for the glasses and Samsung confirmed they are 3-D ready. What I was mentioning is that the dlp link type glasses site for xpand doesn't show that particular model being compatible with the hlt5075s.

The HLT 720p models are the sole reason why Mitsubishi locked out the EDID's for the other Samsung DLP TV's. The converter boxes will NOT work with the 720P models and unfortunately, 720p owners are likely not going to be able to utilize any of the current 3D tech including the Xpand X102's. The 102's send a 1080p signal at 60hz to each eye.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanshu /forum/post/0

The HLT 720p models are the sole reason why Mitsubishi locked out the EDID's for the other Samsung DLP TV's. The converter boxes will NOT work with the 720P models and unfortunately, 720p owners are likely not going to be able to utilize any of the current 3D tech including the Xpand X102's. The 102's send a 1080p signal at 60hz to each eye.

Ok so xpand is out but using the glasses tridef used to sell and a panasonic dmp-bdt300 or 350 would work fine for 3-d bluray movies on the hlt5075s?

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt /forum/post/18990129

Kevin, Geaux,

Have D* working? Or taking Sunday off?

JIM

not today. I've been working on it for about 4 hours. I have even been able to get audio via hdmi regularly now. but still no 3d picture from the channel. I do occasionally get a different message telling me that if I use component cables that I will be able to view the content. which must be a 2d feed.

The VOD n3d channel was available yesterday, so I recorded all the content. That content seems to work just fine today, there are a few things in the q that are still recording. It's mostly World cup stuff that I missed. My old recordings from the n3d channel still work, but the newer recordings from the channel that I recorded yesterday won't work. The VOD channel is gone and the rest have become greyed out again.

I have not had any luck from the ps3 demos either.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt /forum/post/18990129

Kevin, Geaux,

Have D* working? Or taking Sunday off?

JIM

Unfortunately, my air conditioning went out and that is now my top concern. There is a heat advisory in my area and the temperature is over 100 degrees outside. It's a good thing I just installed several Hunter Original Ceiling Fans through out the house.

I believe the problem is with DirecTv's software. It sure would be great if we could find a receptive engineer on there end. I sent an email to one of the top moderators at DBStalk.com and he said he would pass the information along. I posted over there regarding my problem and another member outed me as not having a DirecTv approved setup. I then posted my entire setup. DirecTv and the broadcasters have a vested interest in allowing as many viewers to watch 3D as possible if they want the 3D Format to be successful. It is it really our fault that Samsung is such a crappy company that does not continue to support its customers? Mitsubishi screwed its customers with the whole EDID requirement as well as now they have to buy a Gefen HDMI Detective in order to use an A/V Receiver with their system.

#94 ·
Kevin and Geaux,

I did some reading of owners manuals for several of the Mit's DLP's including the two I cloned. On both of the Mit's, a plug and play type screen popped up when I plugged the Gefen in. I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.

The Mit's manuals I read, both state that when you plug in a new device to an open HDMI, the pop up window opens and you must name the device so it knows what speed & resolution. You only need to name it PC, if your are connecting to a PC. Otherwise, use any name, but a name is required that will pass 1080p.

The Mit's sets don't have a dedicated HDMI 3 like the Samsungs and may need this naming step before we clone the Gefen!!

In the Mit's 3da-1 instructions it also says, "If the New Input Found screen displays, assign a name to the input. If you have an 833 series TV, name the input GAME."

This could make a big difference when we clone the Gefen. Unfortunately, I am working out of town Monday and Tuesday and have pretty much used up my Mit's clone sources. The Costco was a two hour round trip as most stores have stopped carrying DLP's.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I agree D* needs to not be so restrictive and maybe ungrey the channels. They could make 3d a catagory of the guide that you would only use if you had propper equipment.

I hope one of you can reclone after naming the Mit's HDMI.

What do you think??

JIM

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt /forum/post/18991389

Kevin and Geaux,

I did some reading of owners manuals for several of the Mit's DLP's including the two I cloned. On both of the Mit's, a plug and play type screen popped up when I plugged the Gefen in. I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.

The Mit's manuals I read, both state that when you plug in a new device to an open HDMI, the pop up window opens and you must name the device so it knows what speed & resolution. You only need to name it PC, if your are connecting to a PC. Otherwise, use any name, but a name is required that will pass 1080p.

The Mit's sets don't have a dedicated HDMI 3 like the Samsungs and may need this naming step before we clone the Gefen!!

In the Mit's 3da-1 instructions it also says, "If the New Input Found screen displays, assign a name to the input. If you have an 833 series TV, name the input GAME."

This could make a big difference when we clone the Gefen. Unfortunately, I am working out of town Monday and Tuesday and have pretty much used up my Mit's clone sources. The Costco was a two hour round trip as most stores have stopped carrying DLP's.

JIM

Interesting find, Jim. I might try heading back to Ultimate Electronics and try it on the laserview A90. The sales people there are pretty nice and I think they could get the remote for me to try this. I'm assuming that I'd plug in the Gefen, wait for it to pop up asking for a name, name it, THEN program the Gefen? I'm wondering if we should name it PC, even to get it to work with D* and Blu-Ray, since you have to assign the 3D input on the Sammy's to PC to eliminate crosstalk.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanshu /forum/post/0

My HL-T6756 is 1080p and ISF calibrated by kevin miller from cnet.com but i dont think it has the 3d input?

My HL-T6187s (i think is the model #) is also 1080p, is LED and definately does 3d.

And obviously my hl67a750 Led dlp is 1080p and does 3d

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm /forum/post/0

Interesting find, Jim. I might try heading back to Ultimate Electronics and try it on the laserview A90. The sales people there are pretty nice and I think they could get the remote for me to try this. I'm assuming that I'd plug in the Gefen, wait for it to pop up asking for a name, name it, THEN program the Gefen? I'm wondering if we should name it PC, even to get it to work with D* and Blu-Ray, since you have to assign the 3D input on the Sammy's to PC to eliminate crosstalk.

I never had to rename hdmi 3 on my hl67a750 to pc and dont have much crosstalk (ghosting) at all but i did on the avatar game for 360 in some scenes but i thought that was because i had the 3d intensity in the game options turnes up.

How do you (on the a750's) rename hdmi 3 to PC?

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre /forum/post/18992261

I never had to rename hdmi 3 on my hl67a750 to pc and dont have much crosstalk (ghosting) at all but i did on the avatar game for 360 in some scenes but i thought that was because i had the 3d intensity in the game options turnes up.

How do you (on the a750's) rename hdmi 3 to PC?

Hit MENU, the second option from the bottom has the options "select input" and "edit" (or rename). Or something like that. You hit edit and change HDMI 3 to PC. The screen will go black for a second and come back. It does give a big difference on ghosting of certain colors, but the picture doesn't look quite as sharp.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt /forum/post/18991389

I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.

Cloning is illegal in Ca.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm /forum/post/0

Hit MENU, the second option from the bottom has the options "select input" and "edit" (or rename). Or something like that. You hit edit and change HDMI 3 to PC. The screen will go black for a second and come back. It does give a big difference on ghosting of certain colors, but the picture doesn't look quite as sharp.

Thanks but hm, if its not as sharp maybe i dont even want to do it?

Maybe just for vid games if that is where the ghosting is more prevalent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.