AVS Forum banner

Break in new receiver?

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  ccotenj 
#1 ·
Just got my Pioneer VSX-920-K and I'm reading different opinions on this subject. Do you think it's necessary? I'm currently letting it play continuously from an fm/cable source at a moderate volume.

#2 ·
As you noted, you will get multiple opinions on it.

I always wondered why people assumed, if there was a change, it was always better?

Some warmup time might be helpful. Because an amp is a feedback system and is subject to changes due to temperature, perhaps the amp works a bit closer to it's design after reaching equilibrium. Or not. I am guessing.

Because an amp is a feedback system, it's designed to deal with changing conditions such as the fact the resistance changes with temperature.

Note for example, that resistors won't have their exact rated values. Two transistors may not behave identically. And so forth. There's feedback built into the amp to deal with these issues.

Taking that into account, why would small changes to components upon break in an amp sound better? It was designed around the components having their rated parameters and assuming they would vary slightly.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19016931

As you noted, you will get multiple opinions on it.

I always wondered why people assumed, if there was a change, it was always better?

Some warmup time might be helpful. Because an amp is a feedback system and is subject to changes due to temperature, perhaps the amp works a bit closer to it's design after reaching equilibrium. Or not. I am guessing.

Because an amp is a feedback system, it's designed to deal with changing conditions such as the fact the resistance changes with temperature.

Note for example, that resistors won't have their exact rated values. Two transistors may not behave identically. And so forth. There's feedback built into the amp to deal with these issues.

Taking that into account, why would small changes to components upon break in an amp sound better? It was designed around the components having their rated parameters and assuming they would vary slightly.

Makes sense,One thing is that it's usually in a cool environment in the basement

#5 ·
Yeah, it's funny how the "break-in" period always results in a positive improvement.
But no, a receiver doesn't need a break-in time.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner /forum/post/19019785

I would treat the "break-in" time more like a "burn-in" test. Use it to ensure all the receiver's attributes are all functioning properly. If something is going to break, it will likely do it sooner rather than later.

That's exactly what I've been doing.Basically the break in has consisted of normal usage of all the functions. so far so good.Watched Avatar last night on the new setup,first time I've ever heard hd audio. to say I was impressed would be a gross understatement

#9 ·
I can't tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio*. I am surprised you hear a big difference.

* I used to be able to tell 128kbs MP3 vs 256kbs MP3 apart, but it was subtle. I had to listen carefully to cymbals, and listen for harshness. I doubt I would hear such subtleties in movies.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19020073

I can't tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio*. I am surprised you hear a big difference.

* I used to be able to tell 128kbs MP3 vs 256kbs MP3 apart, but it was subtle. I had to listen carefully to cymbals, and listen for harshness. I doubt I would hear such subtleties in movies.

I think it's the subtleties that I noticed more and definitely the bass is cleaner and tighter than any dvd I've ever heard before. On a side note,I'm a big Clash fan myself.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner /forum/post/19020340

Could also be a result of the mixing desk rather than the fact that it is HD.

Yeah, I think that's more likely. I remember reading about a double blind test between Dolby Digital and TrueHD and the results were that only the sound editor could tell the difference. The other listeners couldn't do better than 50/50.

And breaking in a receiver is just silly. Even if there was a break-in effect, why wouldn't you just use the receiver as normal and let it break in while you're enjoying it?

I think the breaking in that occurs is your brain getting used to whatever you're listening to, not the gear itself.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer /forum/post/19020040

Watched Avatar last night on the new setup,first time I've ever heard hd audio. to say I was impressed would be a gross understatement

It's my experience over the past few years that the user gets the breaking in....and every incremantal system upgrade afterward upgrades the user again. Trying not to repeat this break in cycle can be very difficult and the cycle time gets shorter too

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/19020989

Yeah, I think that's more likely. I remember reading about a double blind test between Dolby Digital and TrueHD and the results were that only the sound editor could tell the difference. The other listeners couldn't do better than 50/50.

And breaking in a receiver is just silly. Even if there was a break-in effect, why wouldn't you just use the receiver as normal and let it break in while you're enjoying it?

I think the breaking in that occurs is your brain getting used to whatever you're listening to, not the gear itself.

So if you can't hear the difference,why have so many people abandoned their old receivers and bought hdmi capable ones?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer /forum/post/19021396

So if you can't hear the difference,why have so many people abandoned their old receivers and bought hdmi capable ones?

Marketing (gotta have the latest even if I don't know what it is), convenience of one cable, 3D, if they were shopping for a new receiver almost all of them have HDMI now, perception of HDMI as the "highest" cable and best video, etc.

Reactions: Tangled Cable
#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19021427

Marketing (gotta have the latest even if I don't know what it is), convenience of one cable, 3D, if they were shopping for a new receiver almost all of them have HDMI now, perception of HDMI as the "highest" cable and best video, etc.

Partly this, but also convenience. HDMI switching and upconverting receivers greatly reduce the number of wires you need to run between components. Before HDMI, the best connection was component + coaxial digital = 4 big cables. Now with HDMI you only need one smaller cable to carry both.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/19021458

Partly this, but also convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19021427

#22 ·
I hosted my pics on Photobucket.com and linked them here with image tags.
It's free and really easy.

#23 ·

Quote:
However, before we properly start to dissect the product, put it back together, and find out that there’s a piece left over, we’ve got to explain why our review of the 609 has come considerably later than most. Why we’ve sat on the Onkyo (figuratively, although we don’t doubt that we could literally too – it’s built well enough) for a month or two before reviewing it…

The answer is simple: a fine amplifier or AV receiver is like a fine red wine; it matures with age. The screaming bastard you get out of the box may settle when fed a fine diet of delicate delights over time, and therefore find an audio tranquillity that an impatient reviewer might miss.

Equally, it may just explode into a shower of springs, dust and a single child’s shoe. Either way, it’s worth hanging on to find out.

Thankfully, after exacting enough restraint to get the best response, we can safely say that while the Onkyo TX-NR609 starts out on a solid footing, it gets better and better and better and… You get the picture. No explosions, no errors, not even a solitary aural blip – just quality sound and picture performance that belie its £500 price ticket.
http://alatest.com/topbar/38181642/-...581176%2C86%2F

#24 ·
It amazes me that even manufacturers promote break in times of their gear. I've been reading through the Wyred 4 Sound thread, as it's on a very short list of multichannel amps I'm interested in if I feel I need one (when speakers finally arrive). I forget the timeframe, but it's at least 100-300 hours they recommend to break in their amps. Oy! It has almost turned me off of their gear altogether.

I'm wondering whether manufacturer-advertised break in times directly correlates with 30 day satisfaction guarantees

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.