AVS Forum banner

'MLB ON FOX' 16x9 graphics (non 4:3 safe)

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Desert Hawk 
#1 ·
do my eyes deceive me, or is Fox really doing 16:9 formatted score bug for mlb baseball now? will other broadcasters follow suit? will this be present for nfl season?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr /forum/post/19017259

do my eyes deceive me, or is Fox really doing 16:9 formatted score bug for mlb baseball now? will other broadcasters follow suit? will this be present for nfl season?

Your eyes do not deceive you. Who knows about the others?!

#6 ·
I originally thought it was an overscan issue, because one of my SD friends complained last week that he couldn't see the scorebug. I see a post with someone saying that they had that issue again this week, and then another saying that they got it letterboxed. Hopefully affiliates get the memo and send it properly.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren /forum/post/19018366

why should people who still have SD be cut-off? Nice way of thinking of others

I'd rather have cutoff than letterbox.

And apparently so would most viewers. In the past three weeks the only discussion I've seen about this is here. SDTV viewers don't even notice it. At least not enough to complain.

Now if you went and stuck huge black bars over the picture, I'm sure they'd notice that.

#11 ·
FOX is sending the AFD code for letterbox. The issue is many local providers are NOT using AFD. That is the problem. If the local provider was using AFD, the viewer would see letterbox during the games.

This issue isn't a FOX issue since FOX has made provisions for 4:3 viewers, it is the local providers who have dropped the ball. And yes, FOX did alert the providers they were switching formats.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/19018076

I hope they do the same with NFL games.

Unless they change the bug, it's almost a moot point. Fox's NFL scorebug is a bar across the entire top of the screen, so aside from changing the position of the information within the graphic (which could allow more information to be shown), there's no reason for them to change anything.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 /forum/post/19021166

Unless they change the bug, it's almost a moot point. Fox's NFL scorebug is a bar across the entire top of the screen, so aside from changing the position of the information within the graphic (which could allow more information to be shown), there's no reason for them to change anything.

It's not just the graphics - they frame the picture for 4:3....

But now if they frame the nfl games for 16:9 - that means we'd see more of the downfield area and less empty space behind the QB.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/19019114

FOX is sending the AFD code for letterbox. The issue is many local providers are NOT using AFD. That is the problem. If the local provider was using AFD, the viewer would see letterbox during the games.

This issue isn't a FOX issue since FOX has made provisions for 4:3 viewers, it is the local providers who have dropped the ball. And yes, FOX did alert the providers they were switching formats.

I thought this was a temporary malfunction during baseball. Apparently that's not the case. In April, I can see the scores on an old crt. Now in August, unless I switch from cropped to letterbox, I can't. I have to add the black bars to the screen. That's the provision for this viewer.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/19021854

I thought this was a temporary malfunction during baseball. Apparently that's not the case. In April, I can see the scores on an old crt. Now in August, unless I switch from cropped to letterbox, I can't. I have to add the black bars to the screen. That's the provision for this viewer.

If you have a good box (like the Zenith DTT 901
) that has multiple formats, you can also use "squeeze". If I want to see the score I personally prefer squeeze since it doesn't involve stupid black bars unnecessarily wasting part of my TV screen.

Unfortunately the people who have an awful multichannel provider that pre-letterboxes it before sending it out don't have that option.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/19022367

If you have a good box (like the Zenith DTT 901
) that has multiple formats, you can also use "squeeze". If I want to see the score I personally prefer squeeze since it doesn't involve stupid black bars unnecessarily wasting part of my TV screen.

Unfortunately the people who have an awful multichannel provider that pre-letterboxes it before sending it out don't have that option.

Great point. I can elect to lose about 25% of the screen to black bars using letterbox on the Zenith to see the scores. Or, I can choose to see the scores via squeeze, which makes 100% of the pictures on screen look like dog crap.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 /forum/post/19021635

It's not just the graphics - they frame the picture for 4:3....

But now if they frame the nfl games for 16:9 - that means we'd see more of the downfield area and less empty space behind the QB.

That's what I'm waiting for.

I haven't seen it since the separately produced SuperBowl (XXXIV) on ABC-HD many years ago.

Article here

#20 ·
In Bakersfield low power KBFX-CA analog shows the game in letterbox. The digital simulcast on a subchannel of co-owned full power KBAK shows it in 16:9 SD. Bright House retransmits neither. They get a direct studio to headend feed in HD. Analog cable shows it in chop mode with the scores missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.