AVS Forum banner

Wdtv live plus hd

169K views 825 replies 215 participants last post by  Otter0911 
#1 ·
#278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschlic /forum/post/18960715

Hello All,

I just bought the WDTV Live Plus HD on Friday and had some time over the weekend to mess around with it. I am coming from Apple TV usage so I have a large collection of mp4/m4v video files. The majority of these files were encoded with 5.1 audio. I noticed the WDTV Live Plus is only sending stereo audio to my receiver over HDMI. What happened? Why is Dolby Digital for these files not working on the WDTV Live Plus? Do I need to run an optical cable from the device to my receiver in order to get it?

Unless something has changed with more recent firmware, I think only 2 ch is supported with mp4:

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=9624

#281 ·
i've read/searched through most of this thread (and the other wdtv live thread) and after all that, i'm still at a loss for a definitive answer:

will the wdtv live+ play mkv files at 20+Mbps bitrate (my avatar rip is 32.4Mbps) over my gigabit network from a shared win7 drive?

thanks!

#282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/18971891

i've read/searched through most of this thread (and the other wdtv live thread) and after all that, i'm still at a loss for a definitive answer:

will the wdtv live+ play mkv files at 20+Mbps bitrate (my avatar rip is 32.4Mbps) over my gigabit network from a shared win7 drive?

thanks!

anyone?

#283 ·
k2...many have attempted to run high bitrate files on the wdtv live (identical to the "+" in regards to the processing power) with varying results. Some use NFS shares and report success.

Gigabit network means nothing to the "+" as it is 10/100.

Here is the response I received from Synology after their testing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=43

Note: I have also tried NFS shares (via cifs-interceptor and x-mount) in an attempt to play BD rips (MKV and m2ts files). Typically these files will play ok until it hits the WDTV ceiling.

The bitrate you mention is an average...so you may or may not have decent playback.

I agree with blackssr's assessment:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...79&postcount=7

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr /forum/post/18976228

k2...many have attempted to run high bitrate files on the wdtv live (identical to the "+" in regards to the processing power) with varying results. Some use NFS shares and report success.

Gigabit network means nothing to the "+" as it is 10/100.

Here is the response I received from Synology after their testing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=43

Note: I have also tried NFS shares (via cifs-interceptor and x-mount) in an attempt to play BD rips (MKV and m2ts files). Typically these files will play ok until it hits the WDTV ceiling.

Good info, a friend has the 210j and I may get one myself.

Does Synology's observed 50Mbps ceiling on the CBR test files imply WDTV's implementation of their networking stack (e.g. TCP/IP or whatever was needed to support Synolgy's test) is underpowered? In an ideal situation where the WDTV has plenty of networking resources, would you have expected a higher stutter ceiling on the 10/100 port?

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/18977782

Good info, a friend has the 210j and I may get one myself.

Does Synology's observed 50Mbps ceiling on the CBR test files imply WDTV's implementation of their networking stack (e.g. TCP/IP or whatever was needed to support Synolgy's test) is underpowered?

Yes. Particularly since the same files can play from a USB attached drive. I've read many forum posts where NFS has helped playback. Also, one user modified the readsize to improve playback (although the follow up indicated not complete success).
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?...34045#msg34045
Quote:
In an ideal situation where the WDTV has plenty of networking resources, would you have expected a higher stutter ceiling on the 10/100 port?

Using SMB...max of 80Mbps

#286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr /forum/post/18978269

Yes. Particularly since the same files can play from a USB attached drive. I've read many forum posts where NFS has helped playback. Also, one user modified the readsize to improve playback (although the follow up indicated not complete success).
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?...34045#msg34045

Thanks, I'll keep that in my back pocket should I ever switch from the WD firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr /forum/post/18978269

Using SMB...max of 80Mbps

Was Synology's test run using CIFS/SMB (e.g. Windows shares)?

I've never setup a DLNA server and use windows shares at home. I think of both DLNA/uPNP and CIFS/SMB as added functionality (overhead) on top of TCP. Any thoughts on which of the two would provide better LAN performance streaming to a WDTV (assuming things like on-the-fly transcoding weren't happening)? Those are the two options I think I'd have if I get a Synology NAS.

I'd be curious if performance differences in uPNP vs SMB are due to the network protocol themselves or just WDTV's implementation.

#287 ·
I'm looking for a replacement for Hauppauge MediaMVP's and SageTV.

I picked up the WDTV Live+ yesterday and have been exercising it. My technology needs are simple, play FLAC and MP3's, view JPG pictures and watch home video's recorded in MPG format.

I've got FLAC's playing both using shares and Tiversity but I can't get pictures to display at all. I can see the thumbnails but when I select a picture, the little circle thingy just spins and spins. I figure it's got to be something dumb on my end, but so far no luck. This issue occurs both using Tiversity and shares.

Any ideas?

#288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/18978423

Was Synology's test run using CIFS/SMB (e.g. Windows shares)?

DLNA

Quote:
Any thoughts on which of the two would provide better LAN performance streaming to a WDTV (assuming things like on-the-fly transcoding weren't happening)?

3 options with the Syno in order of performance-

NFS (WDTV requires b-rad firmware to use NFS)

DLNA

CIFS/SMB

DLNA software such as tversity (w/transcoding) improves WDTV performance significantly. Tversity cannot be loaded onto the Syno.

Quote:
I'd be curious if performance differences in uPNP vs SMB are due to the network protocol themselves or just WDTV's implementation.

I'd guess both. Tonight I started to use the .35 beta firmware. I have noticed an improvement with the latest beta firmware, enough that my higher bitrate movies playback well. l'll try the constant bitrate files later.

#289 ·
I just ordered one of these today for my bedroom. My movie library consists of 100% DVD isos an Blu Ray isos with just the movie and HD audio ripped using DVD FAB stored on a WHS server. I am assuming I should be good to go with this device?

Also, if there a b-rad firmware coming out for the Live Plus? Is there a thread to follow?

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr /forum/post/18978959

DLNA software such as tversity (w/transcoding) improves WDTV performance significantly. Tversity cannot be loaded onto the Syno.

I'll probably go with the NAS as its a greener solution.

You mentioned you were streaming .ts and .m2ts containers to the WDTV. I recall someone saying for playback on a WDTV, its more efficient to use .m2ts than .mkv even though both can use similar codecs for encoding the video (something about the WDTV's Sigma chip being able to natively handle m2ts but not mkv).

Any comments about this tradeoff? I'm trying to determine the optimal way to rip my library given I'd like to stream to my WDTV (haven't purchased any ripping/encoding hardware or software yet).

#294 ·
well network just showed up on my wdtv, not really sure why or what changed, but it works now.

anyhow, i can seem to keep my win7 box awake while videos are streaming. this goes for network share and media streaming.

i have set all the power setting i could find and the pc should never sleep, yet it does.

#296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocasio /forum/post/19024280

Has anyone tested whether the Live Plus display PGS subtitles in m2ts files from Blu Ray rips?

Yes, I can confirm.

BD's ripped with DVDfab to m2ts, existance of PGS subs confirmed with Mediainfo, WDTV Live+ played m2ts and displayed subs fine.

With PGS subs in mkv containers, that's a different story. I'm working on trying to get the forced subs in Avatar to be visible. Will know more tomorrow.

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrch /forum/post/19017413

Could anyone shine some light on what the rationale could be behind the 10/100 LAN chipset on this version of the WDTV? Is gigabit simply not needed?

Yes.

This has been discussed quite a bit, don't recall if its this thread or the other big WDTV thread. Bottom line is 10/100 is good enough for full BD rips and is not the determining factor. Others have reported the bottleneck is either inside the WDTV's LAN interface (e.g. TCP/IP or higher level stack) or media processor - so a 10/100/1000 wouldn't necessarily help.

I recall someone saying ~50 Mbps (CBR) is about all the WDTV can handle. I believe this was based on some tests run by Synology. And streaming performance is better for uPNP than for CIFS/SMB (best results with NFS). I've also read the early media processors handled m2ts directly in hardware but not mkv, so that was a streaming performance factor as well. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

#298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/19027119

Yes.

This has been discussed quite a bit, don't recall if its this thread or the other big WDTV thread. Bottom line is 10/100 is good enough for full BD rips and is not the determining factor. Others have reported the bottleneck is either inside the WDTV's LAN interface (e.g. TCP/IP or higher level stack) or media processor - so a 10/100/1000 wouldn't necessarily help.

I recall someone saying ~50 Mbps (CBR) is about all the WDTV can handle. I believe this was based on some tests run by Synology. And streaming performance is better for uPNP than for CIFS/SMB (best results with NFS). I've also read the early media processors handled m2ts directly in hardware but not mkv, so that was a streaming performance factor as well. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

I can confirm that copying files to wdtv plus is a bottleneck. I hook up two HHDs directly to WDTV USB ports so that I can have search capability and fast navigation. moreover, storing movies on PC requires keeping pc on all the time. then I connect WDTV to my router. whenver I need to add a movie, I just copy from my pc to WDTV. the speed is very slow 7MBps. I tried to connect wdtv to router by using wifi N usb dongle and speed is the same. I am not sure what is the bottleneck here: USB, 10/100 network, or wdtv itself.

WD should add gigabit ethernet. if you copy a big movies over network, gigabit ethernet is definitely needed. 10/100 ethernet is just enough for streaming movies stored on PC/NAS.

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews /forum/post/19027257

I can confirm that copying files to wdtv plus is a bottleneck. I hook up two HHDs directly to WDTV USB ports so that I can have search capability and fast navigation. moreover, storing movies on PC requires keeping pc on all the time. then I connect WDTV to my router. whenver I need to add a movie, I just copy from my pc to WDTV. the speed is very slow 7MBps. I tried to connect wdtv to router by using wifi N usb dongle and speed is the same. I am not sure what is the bottleneck here: USB, 10/100 network, or wdtv itself.

WD should add gigabit ethernet. if you copy a big movies over network, gigabit ethernet is definitely needed. 10/100 ethernet is just enough for streaming movies stored on PC/NAS.

I had assumed the OP was referring to streaming from a PC or NAS, but I understand your point about copying files.

I plan on checking out a Synology NAS. They're low power, can auto-shut themselves on/off (I believe) and support CIFS/SMB and uPNP/DLNA. If I run two 2TB drives in a RAID-1 mirror, that will make for a nice backup as well. Need more storage!

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/19027419

I had assumed the OP was referring to streaming from a PC or NAS, but I understand your point about copying files.

I plan on checking out a Synology NAS. They're low power, can auto-shut themselves on/off (I believe) and support CIFS/SMB and uPNP/DLNA. If I run two 2TB drives in a RAID-1 mirror, that will make for a nice backup as well. Need more storage!

NAS is nice but still too expensive. in a way, WDTV is a semi-NAS device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.