AVS Forum banner
304K views 2K replies 394 participants last post by  Superman07 
#1 ·
Wheres the love. I dont see an owners thread. After recently getting a 150 bundle, all i can say is im in heaven. With pandora, rhapsody and the music on my computer , its music nirvana. i think im going to buy another bundle for another powered unit for the patio and another non powered unit for the theater.

bow

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyK /forum/post/17601083

Any way to set up 2 pairs of speakers and control volume independently? I want one ZP120 and want to wire it to ceiling speakers in my kitchen and dining room. I want the same music (so same zone) but would love to be able to control volumes independently.

You would have to wire something called an "impedance matching volume control" to each speaker pair. Here's a link to some examples:

impedance matching volume controls @amazon

#178 ·
A while back I installed a ZP80 and used the combination of a desktop, laptop, and an iPhone for control and it has worked flawlessly. So I purchased a CR200 just so I would have an "always on" controller, but I'm having a problem with the CR200 staying connected to the network if I get too far from the ZP80. I have walked all through the house with the iPhone and the CR200 and the iPhone maintains connection almost everywhere and I can walk at least 100 feet outside before loosing connection. The CR200 range is significantly less and very frustrating. Anyone else have this issue? I am at 3.1 release. When I'm close enough to the ZP80 the CR200 works as advertised, but I'm frustrated that a 3rd party device works better than SONOS's own proprietary device. Is it possible that I have made a set-up error? I have changed all the channels hoping to get a stronger connection with no improvement. Any advice?

#179 ·
I am about to purchase a Sonos 250 bundle with an additional bridge and zone player s5 and have a "theory" question regarding the ZP90 digital outputs.

First a little background:

What RipleyK plans on doing is exactly what I will be doing with the ZP120 in my master bedroom and bathroom. I plan on hooking up the Sonos ZP120 to a Dayton SDP4 4-Way Speaker Distribution Panel. This will be used for a "clean look" installation. From the back of the Distribution Panel, I will be hooking up two impedance matching volume controls (all of these will most likely be purchased from Parts-Express.com), one located in my bathroom and one in my bedroom. From there, I will be hooking up a pair of in-ceiling speakers to each volume control.

The Zone Player S5 will be used in my dining room on my first floor. The bridge will be used to connect directly to my home network. The ZP90 will be connected to my home theater receiver (Pioneer VSX-03TXH) that is in my first floor family room that also will have its zone 2 outputted to a speaker distribution panel and two outdoor impedance matching volume controls.

The ZP90 has two digital outputs, one being a coaxial output and the other is a optical output. Can I use both of these at the same time? I want to obviously use one of these connections (probably the optical) for my family room receiver, but I would like to also use the other digital connection (coaxial) for my downstairs, two zone receiver setup. Can this be done, saving me $500?

#181 ·
I've never used the sonos line in function before, but I had a quick question. I'm planning on installing some in-ceiling speakers to hook up to the sonos zp120. I'm also looking to route the audio from my cable box through to the speakers as well, but trying to avoid the use of an avr or speaker switch. Can I have the cable box audio routed through the line in on the zp120 and leave the zone set to line-in and have the audio from the cable box pipe through the speakers? I'm basically looking to have it such that I can turn on my TV and start listening to the audio through these speakers w/o having to make any adjustments on the controller?

2 Other quick questions.

How does the line-in deal with volume adjustments at the source (e.g., will the volume change if I turn up/down vol. on the cable box).

Is there any latency issue with using the line-in such that I'd have lip-synch issues?

Thanks!

Drew

#182 ·
New owner of 5 whole days and this thing ROCKS. I'm only running 1 zone right now, but did test 2. I set up a NAS and having your whole music library in uncompressed format available without the computer being on is fantastic.

And then to have it all in the palm of your hand seals the deal.

I have moved my files around to several different drives in the last few days until coming up with NAS solution and the re-indexing has been nearly flawless. I had to do it twice a couple of times, but eventually it always worked. Very impressed

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchildpr /forum/post/18053244

Hi:

I'm considering SONOS system but the obvious question is deciding between Zoneplayer S5 vs Zoneplayer120 with Klipsh speakers and a sub?

There's a big difference in cost.

Does the Zoneplayer S5 has enough power and sound quality for a 13' X 13' room???

Thanks for your time!!

What about a ZP90 with a pair of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s? Perhaps you meant those already by "Klipsch speakers and sub", but I wasn't sure. I haven't used a S5, but from looks alone my guess would be that it is too small for 13x13.

#185 ·
The ZP90 will require a separate power source, such as an amp or receiver. I use a ZP80 into my main A/V system and it works splendidly. I'm kinda a "power" snob, so I find it hard to believe that the 120 can drive a good set of loudspeakers very well. But I must admit I have never heard a 120 in a home setting.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powercat /forum/post/18053606

The ZP90 will require a separate power source, such as an amp or receiver. I use a ZP80 into my main A/V system and it works splendidly. I'm kinda a "power" snob, so I find it hard to believe that the 120 can drive a good set of loudspeakers very well. But I must admit I have never heard a 120 in a home setting.

I've got my main zone on a ZP 80 into a Denon 3808 but 4 other zones on ZP100's. I use one ZP100 for my outdoor speakers and one in my 20 x 20 shop. Can't blast music real loud outdoors, but I rarely have it turned above 3/4s for most patio party type situations. Similarly, in the shop it runs between 1/2 and 3/4 volume max.

Given the 120 is a bit more powerful than the 100 I'd think it should hold up pretty good?

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop /forum/post/18112528

Proud to say I'll be a Sonos owner by 3pm tomorrow. I must say working at a participating Sonos dealer really helps. Have a 250 bundle being overnighted. There was only about a $10 difference from standard to overnight and with how much I'm paying, $10 wasn't even a question.

Yep - I joined the ranks a couple of weeks ago as well. My Denon receiver has Rhapsody and internet radio but it not only is hard to use, but the stability is terrible - it keeps hanging.

Sonos, however, is one of my best purchases ever. I need to restrain myself from adding modules in the garage, crawl space, and closets.

The beauty of Sonos is it is rock solid and the user friendliness is outstanding.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn /forum/post/18303771

Sonos, however, is one of my best purchases ever. I need to restrain myself from adding modules in the garage, crawl space, and closets.

Heh, I added _two_ to my shop.

Not quite as bad as it sounds, ones being used to run test signals to the work bench when I build speakers....

I also dropped one into my daughters room. She has an iPod touch which works wonderfully with it. In particular, I grabbed a cable that lets her charge the iPod and listen to it via the line in on the Sonos, so she can play the music library, or bring up a YouTube video and play it back via the Sonos, etc.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost /forum/post/15091870

there is a system that does video... bit harder to set up, but just as simple to use... Kaleidescape oh and just a bit pricier...

Kaleidescape is ludicrously expensive >$20k. Control4 has similar functionality and has video capability, but requires a licensed installer for any changes

With iPod functionality being added to the some of the new receivers like the Yamaha's, I'm wondering if any of the new A/V receivers will have Sonos like functionality with a easy GUI that allows the selection of music for different zones...

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 /forum/post/18433158

Kaleidescape is ludicrously expensive >$20k. Control4 has similar functionality and has video capability, but requires a licensed installer for any changes

oh, Kaleidescape also requires a licensed installer... so you probably need to add a couple $$$ to the big K price...

but... for the moment at least, Big K is the only Legal option, and only for DVD's... but our Benevolent Media overlords are trying to change that.

our Benevolent Media overlords don't want you to rip DVD's (or HD DVD's or Bluray) to your HDD's... because the only reason anyone would want to do that is to be an evil parrot wielding pirate... so they bought and paid for the Digital Millennium Copyright Act... now no one can make copies if it involves breaking copy protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 /forum/post/18433158

With iPod functionality being added to the some of the new receivers like the Yamaha's, I'm wondering if any of the new A/V receivers will have Sonos like functionality with a easy GUI that allows the selection of music for different zones...

maybe someday... but just a little something to think about... the technology for them to do so has been here for 10+ years... if they wanted to they could of beat Sonos to the market... what are they waiting for?

#192 ·
I have a unique situation that has me a little confused. I have a single story house that has vaulted ceilings. It will be virtually impossible to run wires to outdoor speakers from my theater room. Here is my plan I want to put 3 pairs of speakers outside around the pool area. They can all play the same source and at the same level. I also have a Sunfire 250x2 channel amp that I was going to use for power. So if I understand this correctly please (correct if i am wrong) I can install 1 ZP90 in my theater room and connect it to the router. I think I can install another ZP90 (wireless) with the Sunfire Amp somewhere close to the Lanai where I could get speaker wires run to the amp. Does this sound correct? And for the other rooms I could just install the 120 with a set of speakers or the S5. Thanks

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfondell /forum/post/18451670

I have a unique situation that has me a little confused. I have a single story house that has vaulted ceilings. It will be virtually impossible to run wires to outdoor speakers from my theater room. Here is my plan I want to put 3 pairs of speakers outside around the pool area. They can all play the same source and at the same level. I also have a Sunfire 250x2 channel amp that I was going to use for power. So if I understand this correctly please (correct if i am wrong) I can install 1 ZP90 in my theater room and connect it to the router. I think I can install another ZP90 (wireless) with the Sunfire Amp somewhere close to the Lanai where I could get speaker wires run to the amp. Does this sound correct? And for the other rooms I could just install the 120 with a set of speakers or the S5. Thanks

Sounds right to me.

#195 ·
I'm new to this and I realize that there will be supporters on both camps, but how does Sonos compare to Squeezebox?

I'm really interested in the Sonos S5 now that it's available in black and works with either the iPhone or iPod Touch. Is the quality on that player decent for a small room? Can it also function as an alarm where it'll just play a song or a loud ringtone to wake me up?

Where can I get the S5 for the cheapest price?

#196 ·
this is not the thread to compare Sonos to Logitech SB... I've heard (but do not own) a Sonos S5 (white) - it is plenty loud for a small device. You will need to buy a Sonos ZoneBridge (about $100) and connect it to your router or a switch on your LAN ... or use cat5 cable with the S5 .. but it kinda defeats the purpose or portability. I believe it works with alarms with iPhones but double check on the sonos forums if this is a deal breaker...

The S5 is too new for heavy discounting, or buying used on ebay...best buy or direct from Sonos is recommended.

#197 ·
I'm really interested in the Sonos S5 now that it's available in black and works with either the iPhone or iPod Touch. Is the quality on that player decent for a small room? Can it also function as an alarm where it'll just play a song or a loud ringtone to wake me up?

Yes - you bet!! You can set it up for an alarm mode and play anything in the library, a raido station, etc. I set my morning wake-up alarm for weekdays and also set it to auto-off after two hours of whole house listening while I get ready.

Sonos has such a nice user interface, I can't imagine Logitech being better (but I'm not familiar with Logitech)

As for the S5----I have one and it has very good sound with excellent bass and high volumes. I am very pleased. Althouugh I have only one, amazingly you can also buy two of them and set it up for left and right channels.

#198 ·
Sonos newbie question:

I am thinking of going the Sonos route.

My question is if my current/desired setup is as follows.

(12 ceiling speakers through out hosue)

(1 Dual Zone Receiver (Zone1: TV setup, Zone2:House audio feed/Sonos))

So if I hook all my speakers to my receiver. Then buy 2 Z90's (Sonos Bridge units)

Hook one to my router and one to my receiver, then in theory I should be able to use my PC or Ipod Touch to control the Sonos system and play all the music on my HP MediaSmart, Stream internet radio, AM Radio?

Is that right?

Also is there any special equipment needed to connect 12 speakers to a receiver?

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ /forum/post/19045105

Sonos newbie question:

I am thinking of going the Sonos route.

My question is if my current/desired setup is as follows.

(12 ceiling speakers through out hosue)

(1 Dual Zone Receiver (Zone1: TV setup, Zone2:House audio feed/Sonos))

So if I hook all my speakers to my receiver. Then buy 2 Z90's (Sonos Bridge units)

Hook one to my router and one to my receiver, then in theory I should be able to use my PC or Ipod Touch to control the Sonos system and play all the music on my HP MediaSmart, Stream internet radio, AM Radio?

Is that right?

Sorta. The ZP90 is not a bridge, Sonos does sell a seperate unit that is known as bridge unit. It will only help bridge other Sonos systems together when the distance between them is too great for a regular wireless connection.

However, you do want at least one ZP-90 going into your receiver, it will be what is used to determine what music goes from the PC to the receiver, think of it conceptually as a replacement for a CD player. It can then feed any zone you want on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ /forum/post/19045105

Also is there any special equipment needed to connect 12 speakers to a receiver?

Most likely. Depends on the speakers, but assuming you're not running a 70V system (normal 8 or 4 ohm speakers) you really want a multi-zone amp or at the very least an impedance matching switch or volume control (which will reduce the volume you can get throughout the house) . You'd be mostly missing the benefits of the Sonos with this set up; you've really only got one zone, (or two if you feed two ZP-90s into the receiver). Some people stack multiple ZP-110s in the wiring closet each going to a separate room, then each room can be run independently. With that setup you no longer need a multi zone amp but it will likely be more expensive.

Also depending on how big of area you have to cover you may need a repeater just to get the controller signal back to the wiring closet... If you plop a ZP-110 in the actual room (assuming you can get to the wiring) you can kill two birds with one stone. However, I find I prefer to have my ZPs hard wired and not use wireless (I do have two that run wireless but they give me the odd connection problem every once and a while).

#200 ·
I have a couple zones of Sonos, but I'd like to add one more that is a dedicated two-channel with really good speakers and DAC. I'm considering the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC with their new Bridge option. Supposedly they have apps for iPhone/iPad and since the DAC has gain, there's no need for a Pre-Amp. All I need is a good power amp and speakers. The Bridge can put the DAC on the network, making all the content on my NAS available just like it is for the Sonos. It will be like my high-end media server. Has anyone else done this?

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete /forum/post/19045547

I have a couple zones of Sonos, but I'd like to add one more that is a dedicated two-channel with really good speakers and DAC. I'm considering the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC with their new Bridge option. Supposedly they have apps for iPhone/iPad and since the DAC has gain, there's no need for a Pre-Amp. All I need is a good power amp and speakers. The Bridge can put the DAC on the network, making all the content on my NAS available just like it is for the Sonos. It will be like my high-end media server. Has anyone else done this?

Unless you've got treated room I'd save your money and just use a ZP-90 with the amp of your choice. There are 3rd party "audiophile" mods for the Sonos components, but again, you're room will be a much bigger factor....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.