AVS Forum banner

Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread

107K views 695 replies 61 participants last post by  psyduck103 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time to start a thread that encompasses all of these type of lenses. Though there have been threads in the past that have been devoted to the Isco 3L or Schneider 1.33 lenses, I think now is the time to start a new expanded thread to include all commercially available Cylindrical Anamorphic Lenses. Hopefully this can be a source of reference to all present and future owner's of these lens.

At the present time these are the lenses available and that make up this group.

Cavx MK4, MK5(Xeitoptics CM-5E), Isco 3s, Isco 3L, Prismasonic HD6000, 1.33X, Schneider 1.33X M, Schneider 1.33X XL. The Isco 3s/Schneider 1.33X M and Isco 3L/Schneider 1.33X XL are identical except for the body. Prismasonic HD-6000. Panamorph has the projector specific DCR-S1, S2 and J1 and well as the flagship Paladin DCR’s for 16x9 and 17x9 projectors.

The current mounts for the Isco lenses are the Tech Ht mounts which include the Cineslide/MultiStand 2 automated lens sled/lens mount system. A Tabletop mount/MultiStand 2 is also available for stationary lens mounting. These work for the Schneider lenses as well. Schneider also has their own lens mount systems available from their dealer network. Currently they have the Kino-Linear slide system, which is being discontinued, and the Kino-Torsion swing system. All of these systems have pitch, yaw and roll adjustments for precise lens alignment. The Cavx Mk4 comes with a stationary mount but should be able to be mounted to a Cineslide or Panamorph sled system.

The advantage of the cylindrical lens is that it works like a traditional camera lens. With the adjustable focus element, you have the ability to have perfect focus from edge to edge, top to bottom, side to side. Artifacts such as Astigmatism and Chromatic Aberration are a non-issue with these type of lenses. Essentially the image enters and leaves untouched with the exception of two things, it's horizontally expanded by 33% and there is a very slight amount of pincushion. Light loss from the lens is small and alleviated by the corresponding gain due to the increased pixel count of 33%.

Unfortunately, these lenses aren't readily available for viewing. Not to many dealers have these or any A-Lens available to demo. Hopefully this will be a place for those contemplating a purchase can go for reference, to ask questions or to be reassured as these lenses are very expensive, though worth every penny, in my opinion.

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias /forum/post/19072592

I have had my anamorphic lens for about 6 years now. I will never need to upgrade or replace it. However, I am on my third projector, not counting 4 previous CRT projectors.

Vern

Exactly. I've heard JVC has promised 3 new 3D projector(RS20,30,40?) along with the Sony VW90 and Panasonic AE5000 in October. All 3D. I, for one am looking forward to stereoscopic video to match the discrete 360 degree audio we enjoy. I think after viewing 3D content for sometime it will become second nature. I have a feeling it will be around awhile and will lead to the next step. I'm also looking forward to the better light engine. And I really think I'll still have my lens five to ten years from now with a 4k res/led driven/3D/1,000,000:1CR/3000lumen/convection cooled/wifi enabled and connected/self calibrating(ala Audissey for Video that calibrates for screen and room) projector. And, again, using my same old lens.

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/19092862

And, again, using my same old lens.

LOL, mabye you need to refer to that 'ol lens, not old lens

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19092879

LOL, mabye you need to refer to that 'ol lens, not old lens

Hehehe. Your right, ol' more like it. I've had mine what, 3+ months. But, come on Mark, you know 3 months is the half-life of electronics. Especially gotta love projectors, with their Fedex Obsolencence. LED's units will be half off next month, right.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/19092912

Hehehe. Your right, ol' more like it. I've had mine what, 3+ months. But, come on Mark, you know 3 months is the half-life of electronics.

A state of the art optical device like an ISCO III (or even my own MK4) is hardly "electronic", so does not have a "3 month half life". These anamorphic lenses are one off investments that won't ever need to be upgraded unless the required horizontal magnification changes from the current 1.33x.

Quote:
Especially gotta love projectors, with their Fedex Obsolencence. LED's units will be half off next month, right.

Bring 'em on. I am really looking to replace my BenQ W5000 with something LED that is 3D ready. I just don't feel like being an early adopter this time round

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19092947

A state of the art optical device like an ISCO III (or even my own MK4) is hardly "electronic", so does not have a "3 month half life". These anamorphic lenses are one off investments that won't ever need to be upgraded unless the required horizontal magnification changes from the current 1.33x.

Bring 'em on. I am really looking to replace my BenQ W5000 with something LED that is 3D ready. I just don't feel like being an early adopter this time round

My point exactly. A lifetime investment. As far as projectors go, my w5k's board is failing. So I'm afraid that a new purchase will be mandatory shortly.

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/19098124

My point exactly. A lifetime investment. As far as projectors go, my w5k's board is failing. So I'm afraid that a new purchase will be mandatory shortly.

Really? What symptoms? Mine did an odd thing at just over 1000 hours. powered up, except no noise ((iris opening) and no light, well I got the BenQ logo, then it went dark. Immediately I though the lamp had failed and after two more failed attempts, I turned it off at the main power. I then powered it back up and it hasn't missed a beat since.

I want LED and a 3D machine would be nice too and why the Vango is looking quite appealing at this time

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19098137

I want LED and a 3D machine would be nice too and why the Vango is looking quite appealing at this time

I will make sure I give you my impressions.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19098137

Really? What symptoms? Mine did an odd thing at just over 1000 hours. powered up, except no noise ((iris opening) and no light, well I got the BenQ logo, then it went dark. Immediately I though the lamp had failed and after two more failed attempts, I turned it off at the main power. I then powered it back up and it hasn't missed a beat since.

I've had the Dark Start problem several times. No big deal, just restart. No, the problem I'm having is after 1-2 hours of it being on the picture vignettes and you have a striped picture. To illustrate, imagine cut the pic into 5 vertical stripes and then arrange them out of order. The remedy is to shutdown and restart. Several owners have this problem show up at about 1200-1500 hours. I'm at 1700+ and have had the FP for 26 months. The DMD board replacement is $550-$600, plus I need a new lamp so needless to say I'll run till she blows then trash it. Unacceptable life span, if you ask me.

#187 ·
WOW and not cool. I've not seen any of the other faults you've said, just that one time.

#188 ·
I was lucky enough for my wife to give me the OK in putting the projector in the other room where my gear is in also took some time but I got the OK at the end.

But what I want to know the further back I go is it better especially when your doing anamorphic? The projector will be in the room behind me with the lens coming out through the wall quite a bit like Art has it( Sorry Art I liked your idea had to borrow it
). The room is not big at all.

The screen is 117" 2:37:1

The room length is 5.07m

I just want to know before I start cutting a hole in the wall.

Cheers

#189 ·
Same projector? Yes as a rule of thumb, the further back you can get the projector, the better the end result. I too "borrowed" Arts "booth" idea and I would never go back to a traditional ceiling mount.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/19099993

I've had the Dark Start problem several times. No big deal, just restart. No, the problem I'm having is after 1-2 hours of it being on the picture vignettes and you have a striped picture. To illustrate, imagine cut the pic into 5 vertical stripes and then arrange them out of order. The remedy is to shutdown and restart. Several owners have this problem show up at about 1200-1500 hours. I'm at 1700+ and have had the FP for 26 months. The DMD board replacement is $550-$600, plus I need a new lamp so needless to say I'll run till she blows then trash it. Unacceptable life span, if you ask me.

You're not alone mate, I've had 3 customers to date with exact same problem. Nobody saw this coming, just hope the W6000 doesn't do the same!

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

Same projector? Yes as a rule of thumb, the further back you can get the projector, the better the end result. I too "borrowed" Arts "booth" idea and I would never go back to a traditional ceiling mount.

Same projector just going back. But looking at the list I got from schneiders website it's definitely a good idea I go back. But also looks much tidier

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/19103490

Same projector just going back. But looking at the list I got from schneiders website it's definitely a good idea I go back. But also looks much tidier

I think the (booth) rear wall and port is the one thing that differentiates home cinema from a home theatre

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/19103519

Well hopefully next week or the week after.

Very cool, so a full wall or part wall? Mine is really a false part wall, however it certainly does the job it was meant to do.

#196 ·
I like the idea of an AT screen with no speakers on view and a pj in a projection 'booth' so the room has a very clean look to it. With the pj further back you generally get better on/off contrast performance and less pin cushion (compared to closer with the same screen), so if lumens aren't an issue, you definitely benefit. Plus of course, the noise and heat generated by the pj don't end up in the room with you.

Gary

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19103433

Where do we see Arts booth?

I would like to do this for my new house, finally a dedicated HT room.

Would be nice to have a thread with just pix of this type of setup, anyone want to start?

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/19103506

I think the (booth) rear wall and port is the one thing that differentiates home cinema from a home theatre

Mark, I'm curious as to why? what if the projector cannot be back far enough because of the throw to screen size? So anyone with a 'booth'.... has a real 'theatre' whereas everyone else who uses a ceiling mount (98% of people) only has a 'home cinema'? Which, by your comment seems to suggest it's not as good or inferior..?? Or did you mean something else by that?

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot /forum/post/19104847

I like the idea of an AT screen with no speakers on view and a pj in a projection 'booth' so the room has a very clean look to it. With the pj further back you generally get better on/off contrast performance and less pin cushion (compared to closer with the same screen), so if lumens aren't an issue, you definitely benefit. Plus of course, the noise and heat generated by the pj don't end up in the room with you.

Gary

Unless your room is really cold and you want to use the PJ as a heater

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre /forum/post/19106499

Unless your room is really cold and you want to use the PJ as a heater

Sounds like a plan - ducting maybe?

My last theatre was a loft, and in the winter I used to put a heater on before we went up there, so the pj would be quite useful in that respect, but in the summer it had the opposite effect. I was thinking of doing something about that but then I moved..

Hopefully things will be different when I get round to the next one.

Gary

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre /forum/post/19103442

You're not alone mate, I've had 3 customers to date with exact same problem. Nobody saw this coming, just hope the W6000 doesn't do the same!

That's terrible. I'm not saying I'll never buy their product again but if this was a car/truck there would be a recall. After all the problems with firmware during the first year they should fix it out of warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.