AVS Forum banner

LED Lights

96K views 237 replies 104 participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
ive seen and read somewhere here on the use of LED behind the display (mine is a LC46D46U) and i think i like it.

has anyone tried a DIY LED lighting solution? i saw one at costco last sunday, forgot what its called. (started with C.. dont know if its cryco, cryon or what not.. cant remember) but i was hesitant to get it because i wanted something that would automatically light up when the display is in use and i was not sure if the particular LED light i saw did this.

any ideas guys?

thanks.

#228 ·
I just want the 4 led strip white or soft white light kit, and was wondering which light would be better if I was to only get one?

I just want these to put behind my 50" plasma, and didnt know which color would be best for general purpose movie and tv viewing.

and will 4 strips be enough for my 50"? I imagine two strips on the top, and one on each side.

Many Thanks

#229 ·
look at post 221. That is my 47" LCD. I have a strip on each edge. The one at the bottom isn't as noticeable because it is not attached to the TV like the others are....due to shape of back of TV. It is the cool white.

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 /forum/post/19123478

look at post 221. That is my 47" LCD. I have a strip on each edge. The one at the bottom isn't as noticeable because it is not attached to the TV like the others are....due to shape of back of TV. It is the cool white.

is that this kit?
http://www.ledlightingkit.com/led4white.html

Also is it dimmable? I didnt see so in the description,

Thanks

#231 ·
the description is NOT accurate. The title says "...with remote" with is false. There is not remote, but for me that was ok since I PREFER a rocker on-off switch..the last thing I want is another remote laying around...I have one for my ceiling fan and don't like it...

But to answer your question, yes, that is the one I ordered in COOL WHITE, for $29.99....it is not dimmable nor is there a remote. Look at the videos that show you the direct comparison in color...I am glad I got the cool white, but it's all in what you like!! Good luck...it really looks awesome when it's installed...I used clear hockey shin tape to tape them to TV, worked awesome, and you can just re-use the tape or put new tape on if you have to move them around to find the right spot for them.

#233 ·
For a quick project I found in the workshop 25 3mm yellow LEDs, some perfboard, and some 75 ohm resistors. I found that if I put 5 LEDs in series with 37.5 ohms (two 75's in parallel) then the LEDs would draw their 30ma maximum continuous current. Strung together sections of perfboard with the LEDs spaced every 1.5". Attached to back of 42" LCD TV:

Not as bright as I would like. Next time I place an order with Digi-Key I'll get some more LEDs:

#235 ·
to be honest, if you like those pictures, you will LOVE what it ACTUALLY looks like...those pics are crap when I compare them to the real thing. Here's the link: Multi Color LED Strip Kit with Remote !

***PLEASE NOTE: The product TITLE is MISLEADING. It is NOT multi-color, and there is NO remote for the $29.99 white kits. This is the one I bought, and by reading everything, I knew what I was buying from the product description and NOT the title. I ordered "COOL WHITE". I have a "chisled-grey" wall behind the TV and it looks amazing when lit up...One last thing, the pic doesn't show the bottom part being lit up. It actually is, just not quite as bright as the rest. The reason for this is that the bottom of the TV in the back is convex, and made mounting the strip there almost impossible. The strip is actually on the bottom of the wall mount. Also, I only one plug behing the TV and used a "Y-power cable" to give me another outlet. I suppose a decent extension cord or power bar could work...

There are several ways of connecting the light strips. You can daisy-chain them, or connect each one individually to the "source" which is the power distributor. You can see some of the parts on page 7 of this thread, post #185 (minus the remote and remote receiver, etc). All I did was plug each strip into the power box individually, then tape them to the back of the TV, then cleaned up the wires. I used clear hockey tape...nice and sticky. I did this to get the right placement before using the "self adhesive" on the strips, but decided to just leave the tape since it worked great. That's all. You may have to adjust where you place the strips based on distance from wall to back of TV, and the shape of the back of TV, to get the "look" you like best. Have fun. This is a very cheap way to improve the look of your room. Out of my Energy 7.1 setup with 2 leather reclining love-seats and wall mounted everything...the first compliment I get is these lights... LOL

#237 ·
Is it possible to control the "Multi Color LED Strip Kit with Remote" (the $29.99 version without a remote included) with a harmony remote or do I need the $59.99 multi-colored version that has a remote included? I don't really need the extra colors but would like to have the lights powered on and off with the TV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.